Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Just another speedbump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

I'm surprised no one pointed it out yet

Detective Pikachu spoilers Pokemon fusion is coming for Gen 8

The Internet is awaiting this canonicity with eager hands and open maws

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Zore posted:

Its been canon since Red/Green

I regularly forget Gen 1 exists.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Chill Penguin posted:

Is there a reason people need to post about the anime in this thread? Isn't there an entire subforum for the discussion of anime? Surely there must be a Pokémon thread in ADTRW.

I've also seen Pokemon Go discussion here so, I chalk it to posters not wanting to walk away to dispose of trash where it belongs.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Pokemon Nap

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Well, that was a total waste of time.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Araxxor posted:

Burn down the entire mobile games market.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

RatHat posted:

In the series with the tagline "Catch 'em all!" you literally can't Catch them all.

New tagline revealed: "Catch some!"

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Regalingualius posted:

Actually, I wonder if this is supposed to be a sneaky way of finally removing Stealth Rock.

The one true loss.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

The gen 2 to 3 transition at least had the excuse that they completely reworked the data structures for pokemon data, the justifications so far fo Sw/Sh are far weaker.

quote:

But yeah, it was pretty much just balancing and getting this optimal selection of Pokemon for the adventure we wanted to provide.

What a curious moment to suddenly care about balance.
Not buying a little about higher quality animations, either.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Honestly, I am not too optimistic at Home either and I expect it to be merely Bank with an additional gimmick.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Remember when GF created models with an obscene amount of triangles for futureproofing plus walking and running animation for every pokemon up to Gen 7 and din't use them at all?
GF does not.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

the only reason they adhere to a strict release schedule is the need to make as a much money as possible to the detriment of the customer's desires. obviously, we must end capitalism to free the pokemon

:hmmyes:

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

Wingull are terrifying now.

https://i.imgur.com/uepSF2D.gifv

Their wings not moving freak me out.

One pic, two good reasons to not have encounters in the overworld and to return to sprites.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Farecoal posted:

Magnezone is not great and I don't let my Magnetons ever evolve

Heresy.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

The Bee posted:

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if Pokemon got some hefty content updates. Fellow 3DS alumnus turned disappointing Switch release Kirby went from a middling entry to the biggest Kirby game yet, with a ton of unique models and ability sets never present in Kirby games before. I can't imagine a flagship series like Pokemon would get less attention.

Game Freak's programming department is staffed by morons and it was a miracle they managed to get bugfix patches going.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

The only thing that is sure is that features, good or bad, end dropped because Masuda is an idiot and he and Ohmori need to be defenestrated.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Flopsy posted:

And makes Mega evolutions into straight up body horror for...uhhh lore reasons I guess. gently caress man I'm tired.

That was actually some good lore and the lack of National Dex made it so not even every mega got this lore

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Zore posted:

Way too many extraneous legendaries, loving up the level curve so that it still has 8/10 of the Pokemon with highest required levels to evolve which makes many of them almost impossible to use in game, horrible pacing on Pokemon variety for the first two gyms and locking almost a full quarter of the Dex to post gym 7, the start of locking normal rear end pokemon like Zorua behind events, the start of locking TMs behind events, and the really poorly implemented seasons gimmick. Also loving N. Just literally everything about N.

You know its bad when your revised 3rd version has to throw in half a dozen Pokemon at literally half they level they normally evolve at to let people actually use them.

Actually, it is the level curve in V that is good and it only got hosed afterwards because of gen 6/7 having a shallower curve and never readjusting gen 5 pokemon.
Also seasons were good, and only Snarl was locked behind an event, as far as I remember.

In a better timeline, games after B2/W2 would have continued with the "style" of gen 5.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Zore posted:

Making two dozen Pokemon lines that are incredibly weak until they evolve in the late game sucks. It sucked even in B/W because it means you can't actually have a Pawniard or Deino on your team because they loving suck until they evolve literally at the Elite 4. Trying to use any of the coolest Pokemon is a goddamn fools errand and that is the worst indictment of a Pokemon game that can exist.

Magikarp is only tolerable when its a Magikarp for a small portion of the game, not when you have to baby it for 8+ gyms. Especially when the Gyarados isn't even particularly strong!

Two lines is not nearly two dozen.

Zore posted:

Yeah, and locking any TMs is incredibly lovely.

It was also bad in Gen 4, but we were only talking about the games post Gen 5. Plus Gen 4 had a larger National Pokedex so the legendaries took up comparatively less of it wheras they're a huge portion of Unova.

They are a huge portion of Unova because they are a huge part of the plot. Only one more legendary that is plot relevant comparing B2/W2 to D/P/Pt and then there's the weather trio that was relevant for the Dream Radar, even if admittedly tacked on.
Honestly, I don't understand this "too many legendaries" complaint, it is only an issue when they became getting handed out like candy instead of through events, or cases like Zeraora where it should have not be a legendary or mythical at all.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Zore posted:

Hydreigon
Volcarona
Briavary
Vanilluxe
Meinshao
Bisharp
Noivern
Klinklang
Beeheyem
Lampent
Golurk
Tynamo
Frillish
Ferroseee
Gothorita
Solosis

Are the ones I'm specifically talking about. Some of them do evolve after 6 gyms, but thats uh still a huge amount of time to be dragging along a Pokemon on par with a stage 1 starter stats-wise.

I like most of those Pokemon and its not fun to try to use them in game, which sucks.

Although all of those were designed with the level curve of 5, only Deino and Pawniard had issues if not fully evolved with said evolution coming really late. Everything else was fine, if a bit of a challenge at times like Mienfoo, Tynamo and in particular Larvesta due to switching from Physical favoring to Special favoring on evolution.
Noibat and Noivern are gen 6, by the way.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Blaziken386 posted:

Tynamo has really lovely stats, TBH. I agree that they should've balanced it out a little better, if only because you get the thunderstone you need to evolve it in the cave you catch it in. It's in its second stage for all of five minutes.

To be honest, agreed. But between that and the variable exp gains of gen 5, it was not too annoying getting Tynamo evolved.
drat, I miss the Gen 5 exp gain method.

Zore posted:

You should try to actually use some of them in game from a lower level. Its awful. Like Rufflet is available at level 9 in SuMo and its awful by by the time your team is 30. Then it has another 24 levels to evolution.

Good call on Noibat/Noivern, I forgot they were Gen 6.

Like I said before, many of them got hosed by latter games not escalating in the level curve as high as the gen 5 games.
I mean, I have used Mienfoo, Klink, Pawniard and Elgyem of those I can remember right now, but all in B/W/B2/W2

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Zore posted:

Gen VII reimplemented the Gen V exp scale. Gen VI was just a weird step back for some reason :shrug:

I stand corrected. Makes it even weirder why it got removed and then reintroduced.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

Incidentally, this is most likely to be the "balance" that they were talking about when it comes to fitting older pokemon into the new generation. It takes design work to make changes to move lists, evolution levels, etc., and if skipping a generation for some means more capacity for integrating others into the game, that's a reasonable trade-off.

Right now of all times? Sorry, but I don't believe a single word of GF suddenly caring about balance, in any meaning of it. Not evolution levels, not dex order, not movesets, nothing. Of those only movesets and in few cases since gen 6 have changed, and even then, many go unchanged across the generations, at least until the next move tutor.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Elfgames posted:

cool that's not the kind of balance they mean

They don't mean any balance. It is just an empty word they threw out.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

It's less that the Gen 5 sprites are pretty and more that they have a lot of personality in their movement.

Contrast with the modern 3D models that are very clean but also pretty boring in action, with unimpressive poses that show nothing about the Pokémon they represent and some even lack important details like Typhlosion's or Blaziken's flames.

This and the washed out textures in Gen 6/7 are what make me often think that the jump to 3D, as necessary it was to keep up with the amount of pokemon, could have been handled a lot better.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

less laughter posted:

Golett is series mascot worthy

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

oddium posted:

get rid of pokémon battles

get rid of Amie/Refresh

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Baseless pessimism is pointless, but there's clearly a basis for it here and it's perfectly reasonable to say "this looks bad" when what the developers are selectively picking and choosing to show looks bad!

If you don't like people being negative about something you're free to tune out if you want! Nobody's stopping you and that might in fact be a really sensible thing to do, but you're not the arbiter of whether or not something's valid or meaningful when it comes to other people's complaints about a billion dollar company being really loving lazy and inept.

I'd say most of the basis comes from X/Y and S/M feeling more rushed, incomplete and wasteful, and also the disappointment of no Gen 6 third game to "complete" X/Y.
It is kind of like a smooth slide down in Gen 6 and 7, with a near pitfall with the Sw/Sh E3 news

Alxprit posted:

Fine. I'll come back when there's better news.

Narrator: They was never seen again.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

What was incomplete about Sun and Moon? They were pretty good and well received Pokemon games I feel? I don't understand this new narrative that Gamefreak has been in freefall for a decade and that Gen VII was worse than Gen VI and Gen VIII is continuing the trend. Like in what world was S/M more rushed than X and Y?

I think it's pretty silly to think that just because Gamefreak is not spending as much time on making Pokemon models that they'll use that extra time to flesh out the rest of the game. I don't think it's necessarily the case that because there's less work in one area that there will be more work in other areas of the game.

E:

What is there to suggest SwSh will have less new things than any other new pokemon game? I expect it will have about as much new pokemon as Sun and Moon or X and Y and the same amount of new moves and new mechanics or whatever.

I was mostly speaking of X/Y being rushed and having a load of assets gone unused, though S/M does have a few areas gone unused still.
It is not really a new narrative, each generation (or even, game) adds something new, removes something else but now it is removing far more than what was ever expected, with very little gains.
GameFreak did not even make the 3D models themselves, that was Creatures Inc. I don't really buy that they are making entirely new models just for Sw/Sh and if they do, then why the hell were the models futureproofed with a really large amount of triangles in the first place?
Either way, it seems that GameFreak's development methods are wasteful and inefficient, straining them even more given that they keep the studio small while still committed to annual releases.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Zuzie posted:

Who would have thunk that coding in 100 to 300 Pokemon in 4 and a half months would be outright impossible, especially when the game is already in a finished state?

Could have relented on continuing with this decision in subsequent titles, but oh well, guess fangames are going to be the good way to play Pokemon from this generation onwards.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

The next time someone asks about it, Game Freak will prune twenty more Pokemon from SwSh.

Lets ask again and again until there is one pokemon standing.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

The fight raged on for a century
Many lives were claimed but eventually
The champion stood, the rest saw their better
Happiny in a blood-stained sweater

Well played.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

If you meant it as a joke, congratulations, you've genuinely made me laugh incredibly hard.

If you meant it seriously, may I suggest our LP subforum? Specifically, the threads for "Reborn" and "Rejuvenation". Or, if you want something archived, the LP Archive has "Uranium".

I'm imagining the possibility of Pokemon mainline games post SwSh being worse in every aspect including quality than Uranium or Snakewood and lmaoing at that.
Then the laughter stops when the possibility becomes more and more real due to sheer incompetence.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Takoluka posted:

Have we really reached the point of "A Pokémon might not be in a new game, so future mainline series games will be worse than Snakewood?"

You are definitely miscalculating GF's commitment to the future games, or rather, lack of.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

"Pokemon Home might have battling" is pie-in-the-sky idealist nonsense but "A Pokemon that I like might not be available in Sword/Shield and therefore mainline Pokemon games are going to be worse than lovely fangames" is a perfectly reasonable conclusion. God bless.

I'm gonna miss Mega Heracross too but I'll live with him not being available in one title just like I lived through every other monster, variant, or feature that hasn't made the jump between generations. It's sad, but the whole reason this has to happen is that there's going to be over one thousand of these things now. There are other options. Relax, find a new friend to bring along this time, enjoy yourself. Then hope your fave will be back next year. Or skip all those steps and Sword/Shield and just do the last bit for a year.

No megas, no z-moves, constant cutting of well received features in favor of supposedly prettying up the graphics and not even doing that in practice but you insist it is because of merely the lack of national dex.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

sharrrk posted:

i think dynamaxing is dumb and don't know why they feel the need to keep making new gimmicks every gen. mega evolution was good and they should have just kept going with that

This.

For_Great_Justice posted:

The technical issue is the one they dug themselves though I don't see why its a defense, the entire point is add new stuff to capture.

The meta will fluctuate but once primals and legends are allowed its always the same few. The hoen trio is there every time. Maybe ax a few legendaries an let other stuff on.

They could have kept them out until rebalanced, they could have actually cared about balance until suddenly it is a convenient excuse not have everyone in.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Vew few people did. I remember little to no complaints during the initial reveal either. But once the National Dex controversy occured, people started picking the hell out of every frame they could find so they could further justify their anger. That's why anytime someone says "They got rid of Stantler for this?!" you can be guaranteed they are about to show you Wingull, Scorbunny, or the Tree.

That was because one of the explanations for cutting down in the number of pokemon allowed was to better the graphics, and so far that has been definitely not the case.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Bleck posted:

I hope there is not a person around who would sacrifice more pokemon for more particle effects

These people are hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Licarn posted:

I would gladly sacrifice most of Gen 2 for nothing, so getting particle effects in return would be gravy.

Funky Valentine posted:

I would throw all of Gen 2 and honestly like half of Gen 4 on the pyre if it meant that there would be more pretty lights in my Pokemon game.

Mods?