Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

hopeandjoy posted:

Except for that doubles are their official tournament format.

Yeah they encourage doubles for multiplayer and balance a lot around them

... then never really use them in the games except in gen 4 I think?

It's weird.

Gibbering posted:

Grookey is growing on me.

Same, still prefer the others though, but gonna wait til final evos to decide. Hope the designs in general are as strong as last gen, gen 7's probably my favourite design wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Winklebottom posted:

The american badger is the rage machine, european badgers are chill

There's one British goon with a story about drunkenly sitting on one while drinking in a forest with friends then getting her leg torn up by a very angry badger as they all ran away panicking unable to properly see the screaming angry furball in the dark.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Winklebottom posted:

I think even usually chill animals do not enjoy being sat on

Also how the hell did she manage that, they’re the shyest animal alive

I believe she thought it was a rock. As for why it didn't clear out, I dunno maybe drunken English farmers hung out there leaving rubbish for it to eat so often it got comfortable with people.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Infinitum posted:

Yeah nah mate, noones bullying anyone here. Just taking the piss

May is high AF right there.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Got some lax incense.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

they will make 192 new pokemon but that will bring the total to 1000 because they will also erase carnivine

That'll make that one Skull grunt very sad you monster :colbert:

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

galagazombie posted:

Raichu suffers from an extreme case character assassination from the anime. Made him look like such a jerk every kid on the playground suddenly became a rabid anti-evolution zealot. All this talk about "But he doesn't learn quick attack!" as if that one move was some instant win button. The early anime in general has this weird anti-evolution thing going on that seems like someone on staff had a personal vendetta. And it's so weird because in the actual games evolving is like the whole point.

While Fish-type would make just as much sense as the Rock/Ground split and there are certainly a lot of them. The worst is monkeys. I hate monkeys. And there are always several new monkeys every gen. They must take up half the national Pokedex.

I forget the details but supposedly the lead writer of the first anime season was basically constantly trying to go shift the series into his own thing with contradictory messages to the games and what not.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Flopsy posted:

Really? Well jeez, that explains a lot. Do you have a link to that information? It sounds interesting.

Primary sources all seem to be in Japanese so no idea on the veracity but looking up Takeshi Shudo results in a lot of people talking about his plans for the anime that the producers stopped including

- Pokemon training being a no money/no respect career for all but the very best
- gym leaders having to resign after three losses
- Ash's dad being a deadbeat who never gave up Pokemon training despite sucking at it and basically being a hobo now.
- an anti battling Pokemon revolution... lead by Pikachu

And obviously the producers stopped all that and he left somewhat acrimoniously after the first season when it became clear he wasn't gonna be allowed to do that nonsense.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Vandar posted:

I think (and I'm going to try not to get to grimdark with things here) that places like Pokemon Centers that can provide lodging and meals to trainers is something of a necessity that the government is willing to pay simple for the idea of having trainers offer protection to the rest of the world.

The Pokemon world is a dangerous place, where even the most common birds can kick up whirlwinds and sandstorms, and your average rat can chew a hole straight through the wall of a house if it wanted. It stands to reason to me that the government and the world in general would be highly supportive of trainers, giving that they're out journeying collecting knowledge on how to train and handle Pokemon in a much more hands-on way than they could get elsewhere.

I kind of like the idea that the system would be set up like 'go out on your journey when you're young, learn how to train and raise and fight all kinds of different Pokemon, then when you're older settle down and help protect your town/city/whatever from any wild Pokemon that might step out of bounds and do something stupid', and if you're good enough they can set you up with a gym leader position or something similar. Providing meals and lodging and the like seems like a fair trade to help keep the peace, you know?

This all makes sense too.

Also I feel that just from a pragmatic educational perspective, learning to work with and command a Pokemon is probably the most useful skill a person can have even outside the protective aspects. Like pretty much any industry can be aided by some Pokemon or other. And traveling and experiencing other cultures is a rad educational tool and goes a long way to explaining why humanity is so much more chill in the Pokemon universe (even if there still are wars).

I feel this is one of the bigger issues with Shudo's ideas, he was cramming real world expectations and roles into a setting where that poo poo doesn't make sense. Like a society that incorporates a large and respected class of nomads doing odd jobs is way more interesting than the cliche examination of Japanese work culture that "trainers as wandering deadbeats pursuing childish dreams" would have been.

Also the kinda cool thing that Pokemon has less nations and more individual towns with often highly specific and odd local cultures in loosely aligned leagues and that the wide acceptance of people just up and moving around especially when young means that if you stick out you don't have to conform you can just wander til you find friends to accept you. That's a really appealing bit of escapism to anyone but probably really resonates with Japan.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 19, 2019

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

Some of this definitely stems from taking the Adventurer template from other RPGs like Dragon Quest and putting it into the semi- modern pokemon setting and trying to marry some of the conceits like the professional wanderer or how enemies drop money.

Oh definitely, I am fully aware this is what happened and likely wasn't the writers' intent from the start. But the implication's always been there and only gotten stronger as the games/anime have progressed and just kind of rolled with it and I feel over time it's evolved into a really interesting element of the setting and a big part of the underlying appeal.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Ziddar posted:

How could you not love this weird floating dragon? :3:

Hydreigon and so many other gen 5 Pokemon went from weird and busy to cute and brilliant when put in 3D and animated it really feels like Gamefreak designed them with 3D prioritised to their detriment in the games they debuted in.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I too prefer flying eel Eelektross.

Vinylshadow posted:

Steven's 25 in RSEORAS, 28 in HGSS, 33 in BW2

People ship Dawn with Cyrus, and he's 17 years older than she is

Shippers be whack, yo

And Cynthia. If anything they ship her and Cynthia more and Cynthia is.... uh how old is she? Definitely too old for Dawn but I forget if Cynthia is meant to be young or middle aged or what.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

People please.

Noivern is a dragon.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Silver Falcon posted:

That is such a weird thing to have your "immersion" broken over. But I could just be weird. I have never been in the target demographic for these games. I was already in high school when Red and Blue came out. I identified the closest with the Black and White protagonist, and also Coliseum, because they're the oldest of the main characters, but I was in college by then and still older than they were.

I also find it weird for another reason. Like, roleplaying is fine. It's in the name of the genre, but you don't necessarily roleplay as... yourself? You can roleplay as somebody else. I thought that was kind of the point. I don't get it.

Roleplaying versus escapism I guess.

I always go for someone completely different from myself but I know a bunch of people who reliably make themselves in chargen.

Still I at least get them more than the "defaults only" people. They are pod people.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

So it's 2019 and gamefaqs is totally not a thing anymore, is there like, a "guide" for Let's Go? I want to know how shiny chaining mechanics work, and any mons that I'm likely to miss if I just slackjaw stare at my pokedex and talk to every NPC but nothing else, and stuff like that.

Serebii usually has stuff for this, never checked for Let's Go but it certainly did for USUM.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Pokemon names are meant to be like specific names for animals/plants. Leaving them untranslated would be like a translation calling dogs inu or cats neko or other poo poo like that. That's my take.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

less laughter posted:

The anime also has Sparky the Pikachu and Zippo the Charmander, though.

...uh I think you misunderstood. I meant that the pokemon names like pikachu are like the names of animals like cat or dog. Sparky and Zippo are given names like Fido or Mr Whiskers.

Not using the localised version of pikachu or charmander would be like calling dogs inu. It's weird.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

My first shiny was Chinchou who loving owns and has an awesome shiny colour. Long lost to my gold cart's dead battery though.

My second was Aron in gba Sapphire who I still have. Bronze Aggron owns.

My third was Haunter in Moon. Didn't even notice at first.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

The thing with Cosmoem (and Celesteela's) weight is they're at 999.99 in the dex. Is that their weight or have they just exceeded the display?

Cosmoem could be 100 000kg for all we know.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Also that evil Ditto owned is guaranteed gonna give kids nightmares

Like I was a bit slow on the uptake and didn't clue in that the son was always in shades cause he got replaced with Ditto and had like a second to process that before the eyes got shown auughhh

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 06:39 on May 10, 2019

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Flopsy posted:

That loving thing knew how to text and manipulate equipment in a facility. It was downright horrific how competent it was, not to mention you usually don't think of a ditto as being downright bloodthirsty but holy poo poo

Yeah like, that Ditto wasn't just following orders. It was totally on board with and enjoying it's job. One of the very few Pokemon outside the games and manga that is just kind of a jerk I guess. Ditto as a sort of narcissistic trickster and rear end in a top hat was a very good direction.

Xander B Coolridge posted:

I like the presentation of Pokémon battles in Detective Pikachu.

Rather than trainers constantly yelling out commands, it's shown as much more dog-fighty, with the Pokémon apparently using their training to hold their own in the ring.

I'm a little annoyed that all of the Pokémon in the movie appear in the various trailers and promos. It becomes obvious about 30 minutes in that they've already used up all their models and just reuse them in background shots. Apparently everyone in Ryme City only have Sneasel, Arcanine, or Audino.

There's no attention paid to type advantages but that's probably a good thing.

Cute little movie! I really like it

The lack of variety is an issue but it bugged me less cause so many of my favourites got in I guess. Also Mr Mime's scene was even better than the trailers and I now like Mr Mimes much more.

And yeah the only nod to type advantage I can think of is Charizard snapping out of it's R serum rage and just making GBS threads itself when Gyarados shows up. But also it's Gyarados.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

My favourite bird mon is probably Toucannon.

That surly bird is very much my aesthetic.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Admittedly with Arceus at least, if they are god, having multiple independent bodies running around seems entirely possible.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Kurieg posted:

He'd have a Mimikyu for which he would stitch bespoke costumes and you know it.

He'd also be perfectly comfortable with Mimikyu's true form, probably even appreciate it. Cause well, he's seen far worse.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

I hope wooloo's evolutions are increasingly elaborate hairstyles glued onto increasingly large spheres

Great now I want a dark type delinquent sheep with a pompador.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

SuperKlaus posted:

welcome to the #resistance

For real Mareep beats this "just a sheep" hands down. The blue skin, black and yellow horns, and light ball tail give it so much more visually as a Pokémon, and it's probably a Philip K. Dick reference, while still being top-notch adorable.

I mean I agree, but "not as good a design as Mareep" leaves a lot of room to be really loving good. Which Wooloo is.

The Mareep line is definitely in the top two or three design wise.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I wonder how close The Good Life will release to this, that was end of 2019 projected release I think?

Gonna have two great wander around Britain as imagined by Japanese game designers games for Xmas this year maybe.

SWERY was also very taken by the sheep.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Alxprit posted:

After having survived a certain immortal thread, I've been thinking to myself that I would really like to try an actually good Pokemon fangame or ROM hack. I haven't really done any research and it also feels like most people would be lying in their descriptions of fangames as far as I can tell, so I ask the thread what is actually good out there? The only one I've given a nod to so far is the Crystal Clear one that's open-world or whatever, at least if I'm getting the names right.

tl;dr: Recommend fangames? Bonus points if relatively obscure or unknown.

I've been playing Altered Emerald that Bogart's LPing (mobile I'll link later).

It's pretty fun.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

There was a survey on the pokemon subreddit about what’s your favorite pokemon and they had 52,000 people submit their favorite. Out of every pokemon available, these four pokemon had ZERO votes. They’re the bottom of the barrel. The trash. The bad of bad pokemon

Silcoon
Gothita
Eelektrik
Yungoos

(That said, each of these 4’s further evos had at least 1 vote so not a single pokemon line had 0 votes in total)

These had only 1 vote:
Exeggcute
Baltoy
Skorupi
Patrat
Sewaddle
Alomomola
Trumbeak
Cosmoem

And these are the top 10:
Charizard
Gengar
Arcanine
Bulbasaur
Blaziken
Umbreon
Lucario
Gardevoir
Eevee
Dragonite

And if you look at favorites per generation favorite count begins to tank past Gen 4.

Wait Sewaddle seriously only got one?

Like not my favourite but they're up there.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Ada posted:

oh gently caress oh god oh man

The Litwick and Chandelure are even worse.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Ah, yes, the head-sticking-out-of-the-sidewalk yokai, very traditional. And T-Pose Girl, one of Japan's greatest folk tales.

lol I legit thought that was a head walking around yokai til you said that.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

YOURFRIEND posted:

Hey. hey wait. Why isn't there an opossum pokemon?

Galvantula ate them all.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Going back to trashbirds talk, Toucannon owns and I called mine The Surly Bird. To this day I am more proud of that name than any other game name I've done. Though Flees-from-Geese my go to Argonian name in elder scrolls games comes close.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I'm not going to say I'm not getting it, because well, gamer boycotts, but man, I can't remember the last time my interest in something I like has fallen this fast.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Eimi posted:

Anything that looks "furry" probably. Nevermind that we approved Gardevoir. :v:

i mean when you actually look at it, Gardevoir is a way more abstract design than the really humanoid or anthro looking pokemon like machoke, jynx, throh, lucario etc.

Like it's easy to hate on gardevoir cause of how horny on main the fandom gets but they're a really cool design that suggests femininity cleverly without actually being that humanoid.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 5, 2019

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

The actual most forgettable 'mons are probably Chingling, Basculin, Morelull/Shiinotic, and Burmy/Wormadam/Mothim.

Morelull has a pretty cool scene in Detective Pikachu at least.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

Sabrina is the Kanto Gym Leader whose characterization changes the most between continuities, I think. Brock and Misty obviously get vastly expanded roles in the anime, but the anime doesn't really contradict their very minimal characterization in the games. Surge and Koga are initially villains in Adventures, unlike in the anime and games, but their defining personality traits are always "cocky guy" and "tricky but serious guy," respectively. The anime's perfume fanatic Erika is a bit different from the chill Erika in the games, but even in the anime she's a basically nice person (despite her overzealous underlings), and she always has "feminine" and plant-related interests. Adventures Blaine is more of a mad scientist and less of a grumpy game show host, but some degree of association with that sort of thing was always vaguely implied. Giovanni is always a "serious" bad guy (OK, I guess he's goofy in the Pocket Monsters manga, but that's because it's a gag manga); the biggest characterization difference between continuities is his implied reformation after his defeat in the original game continuity (and in Generations, IIRC), but not in the remakes (and the main anime), with Adventures Giovanni's character arc between somewhere in between, IIRC.

But Sabrina changes a lot. In the games her dialogue is almost entirely exposition about psychic powers that doesn't really give her much of a personality, but she does claim to dislike fighting. Both Adventures and the anime contradict this by giving her a villainous role, but in very different ways. In the anime she's a mad superpowerful child out of The Twilight Zone or a horror movie, while Adventures makes her a smug Team Rocket member. I suppose the Adventures version was inspired by a blatant plot hole in RBY: Where was she when Team Rocket was taking over Saffron City? I suppose you could take "I dislike fighting" as a euphemism for "I'm a coward," but was that really the intent? I don't think there's any explanation given for her failure to do anything about Team Rocket even in Let's Go. They could have just added a line about how she was away in Hoenn visiting Tate and Liza or something.

Edit: Maybe her precognition foresaw the player character kicking the Rockets out of Saffron, so she decided there was no need for her to act?

Didn't BW2 have her get involved in the movie making sidequest? I vaguely remember that.

Flopsy posted:

I was just thinking about this. Isn't Olivia like....28-30ish? And 15 is underage no matter how you slice it. Honestly I don't what's loving going on anymore and barely have the energy to expend on figuring this poo poo out.

I feel like Brock's been treated as an adult by the anime so long the writers may have kinda.... forgot his actual stated age?

I hope.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Flopsy posted:

My faith in the writers knowing what the hell they're doing has been nil for years but this is a whole nother' level of wtf. So Brock ages but everyone else doesn't? And that's the best case scenario otherwise Olivia is so desperate for a man she's dating a teen? WHAT?? This what I mean I can't be arsed to think about this at length. I'd say it's MST3k logic but with a wee bit more underage dating involved.

Less "Brock ages" and more "What age is Brock supposed to be again?" "Well he's a horndog and also the responsible adult... so I dunno 20?" "Ah who cares, that sounds fine"

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Flopsy posted:

They're 100% a rich shitbird cult with the mentality the poors/undesirables must die. Out of all the villains in the series I hate Lysandre the most (even more than Ghetsis) mainly because he keeps trying to portray himself and his cause as noble and for the best when he's clearly full of poo poo. I'm not kidding, I wanted the option to just slap him when he got going.

At the very least he probably has the most satisfying defeat. Completely humiliated then he either dies or becomes immortal then immediately buried alive.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Well poo poo now someone has to shop up the abortion comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

At a guess, the mons in that ad are the old mons that survived Dexit? Or at least every mon in that did, even if it isn't all of them?