Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
So I've been trying to get a G-Max Garbodor basically all game because obviously the towering mound of garbage is the best pokémon and needs to be the one to take down the Champion's vaunted mega Charizard on national television, but I've been throwing so many wishing pieces down the poison hole and have yet to see hide nor hair of it.

Then I thought to actually click the links on Serebii, and as far as I can tell, you can only catch it from that one hole, it has to be one with a purple beam, it has to be a 5-star raid, and then it has a whopping 5% chance of showing up.

Is that right? Given the cost of wishing pieces, it seems your only chance of getting a specific G-max pokémon that isn't Butterfree, Drednaw or Sandaconda is grinding for weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Raid dens reset as soon as you clear all dens currently on the map, as far as I can tell. Also as time passes, but I dunno what the metric there is; doesn't seem to happen daily, at least. Also, the AI "helpers" scale based on the level of the pokémon you send out, up to level 70 when you're at level 100. I just candied the first G-Max Butterfree I caught up to level 100 and it can take down any den outside of G-max Drednaw, which it can take out when the AI team isn't too garbage.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

1. Learn to glitch for a purple beam
2. Learn to time skip once you have the purple beam

Also, thanks for this! It took me a solid hour of resetting, but I finally got my garbage mountain, and managed to become Champion with it! :D

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
So I have yet to connect to a single person with any of the online features. As far as I can tell, my Switch is just looking for any local players with whom to connect, as I don’t have a Nintendo Online subscription. Is any and all online communication locked behind a paywall, or can I still train and raid with friends?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Is there any way for a profile not on a Nintendo Account to trade? Swish finally lets you have multiple save files, and I am gonna do a ghost-themed run on another profile, but I am guessing that without the online feature or any other switches with pokémon games on them for local trades, I am stuck obtaining all my spooky pals manually?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
G-max Garbodor is probably the clearest example of a G-max pokémon that is strictly worse than its regular Dynamax. It inflicts regular poison instead of the stat drop, which is arguably useful, but the battle power for Malodor is capped at 95 which means that most end-game moves do less damage while G-maxed than they normally do.

Obviously you should still use a G-max Garbodor if you have it, because the model is fuckin amazing, but you’re not missing out on anything competitively.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Max raids have a 100% catch rate in single player mode, with the exception of event raids like G-Max Snorlax, Butterfree et al. I think that goes for beast balls also.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Nothing is timegated; every event pokémon is always available, and G-Max pokémon are just a huge pain in the rear end to get outside of events. The one exception is G-Max Meowth, which was given away as an early purchase bonus.

You can't trade pokémon from earlier generations into Swish if they're not in the Galar pokédex (so, say, Furret is unavailable). They're patching in some, but not all, of the earlier generations' pokémon with the DLC expansions.

You're not locking yourself out from anything by picking up the game at a later date, except the Meowth that was specifically an early purchase bonus.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

loquacius posted:

It really would make a lot more sense to me if being a Gym Challenger was established as something people do well into adulthood because otherwise I have no idea why the most popular televised sport in the country would be just kids trying (and presumably failing most of the time) to beat adults at something they do for a living

You only need to beat the gym challenge once to qualify for the championship cup. That's what you're watching in the intro, Leon beating an adult challenger who is never going to do the gym challenge alongside you because he already did it as a kid.

You only see kids doing it, because every character in pokémon is either a child prodigy or someone who's not gonna battle for a living. If you haven't trounced the famous, nigh-unbeatable 8th gym leader by age 13, you're never gonna cut it in the league world.

It makes as much sense as a story, in which a 10-year old can get their first pet and become the national cockfight champion within a week, ever will.

As for why several characters in the early game reference that Galar has a gym leader of every type, and the ones you're not fighting are in the minor league for scrubs, but you never meet any and they never come up again, well... some joke about Swish' development issues.

loquacius posted:

Seriously though, does the game ever actually explain why Team Yell is so obsessed with Marnie, because she is a child and they are large fat adult men and I fear for her safety

Yes.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
If you're offline and trying to catch a non-event pokémon, the catch rate is 100%. There's some way to gently caress it up if you're fighting solo while online, but I never figured out what actually triggers it. According to Serebii, the only time the catch rate actually changes for the host is against non-event G-max raids, so maybe if you hit "search for others" and proceed before finding anyone, it still counts as having other players around?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Do... do you need to grind? What kind of team are you running where getting to level 70 is a goal?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Okay, that's fair. I spent days trying to get a legitimate G-Max Garbodor before learning it had a 0.6% spawn rate per wishing piece, so I have no experience with the level curve there.

I did figure out the exploit eventually and did ensure that the Champion's first televised defeat included a colossal mound of garbage beating his prize big dragon, thanks for asking.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
February.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Uhh who cares about any of that, when Aggron is in the same category as the fluffy cloud dragon made of hugs and song? The one that’s also the most powerful fairy and still a dragon when mega evolved? You can imagine it being endorsed with a bunch of slurs and swears if you want.

E: Actually, don’t. Altaria is too pure for that poo poo.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

If I sign up for a 1 month subscription to get all my mons out of Bank, when the sub lapses and I have more than the 30 allowed by Basic, will my extra mons get sucked into a void?

Yes.

You'll get them back if you resubscribe, though.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I've seen four shinies in my pokémon career; a Pikachu and a Graveler I've lost track of, but which probably exist in my bank or Ultra Moon boxes, an Altaria from a wormhole which I caught at level 60 and would definitely receive all the hyper training in the world and be my raid killer if it were transferable to Swish, and a Rockruff I caught in Sun while searching for Ultra Beasts.

I named the Rockruff Ol' Blue and since she was like level 10, she could be an integral part of my Ultra Moon team right from the start. :3:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Pokémon (used to?) gain whatever HP they get on a level up, which means you could use rare candies as emergency revives. Maybe that's what you're thinking of? Fully healing on a level up has never been a pokémon thing.

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm kinda curious, what are the rarest non-legendary Pokemon?

I'm looking at something like a Glameow/Purugly where it's only showed up in Pearl and OR/AS

It's definitely the Glameow line, but I've always been puzzled by the availability of Houndour. It was introduced in Gen II, but it has only been available before the post-game in Platinum and X.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Still playing through Sword for the first time, I found this Pokémon that reminds me of impmon. I love him. I hope he evolves into something cool (I actually went into this gen pretty blind in terms of the new Pokémon in it).

I always go into new games blind and imp friend is a very good pokémon.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Lucario is still the objectively worst pokémon and him getting second place ahead of a perfect angel like Mimikyu shows that a lot of pople have objectively wrong opinions.

At least my personal fave fluffy boy got 16k votes.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I need a good naming convention for the eeveelutions. I'm going with 'type'dog, which I acknowledge is awful. Waterdog is ok.

Whenever I'm breeding Eevees, I name them after spices before wondertrading them. That could work for the eeveelutions, too. Pepper the Flareon, Mint the Glaceon, Cilantro the Espeon, etc.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I can't remember any pokémon sound effects or music past gen 3 outside of standouts like Kricketune's cry or Colress' theme. I'm sure part of it is just being older, but Gens I and II managed to do so much with what they had, and Gen III had some fantastic tunes and a memorable obsession with brass.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Parrotine posted:

Somebody explain to me what Eternadus whole deal is and why Game Freak decided to give the Presence from that Nine Inch Nails album his own pokedex entry.

Like all legendaries it's a weird space alien and evil corporations are exploiting its powers. In this case its weird alien power is to make pokémon grow real big and that makes for real flashy television, but it is also used to fuel industry, except it needs to recharge its batteries by destroying the world every 2000 years or so.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Hey, it's not IHATEFEMALES' fault she has a lovely nickname. She's just being the best Pikachu she can be.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Mesadoram posted:

Not sure if I am I the minority here, but I was hoping that they were not going to bring back most of the Pokemon from past gens. Especially the ones that stagnate the competitive scene. So when I heard how many they were bringing back, it made me a little sad. Besides the obvious, this is probably going to make the new legendaries not have the spotlight they probably deserve because mons like Lando are coming back.

I don't care about legendaries or the meta-heavy pseudolegendaries or whatever.

I just want my boys like Altaria or Furret back.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I feel like people are sleeping on proto-Sunkern.

Look at this guy.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
So when does Isle of Armor drop?

It is remarkable how few things in that trailer grabbed my attention. Gunbro, Swablu and Chocobo Moltres were about it.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Okay, G-Max Blastoise turning into an actual bunker ringed by cannons is pretty cute.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Hey, I finally found my shiny Altaria that I was absolutely baffled was missing. Turns out it was chilling on the poké pelago, earning 6 HP EVs. Also turns out it has a timid nature and 0 attack IV, alongside three perfect IVs (as I think is standard for ultra wormhole finds?) and two mediocre ones.

He's an even better fluffy boy than I thought. :3:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I agree with the general point, but I'm not sure Oleana is the character that needs more focus. I'd like to see her get more screentime, but I felt that her being the person actually running Macro Cosmos, being absolutely bonkers stressed out about it, and being unerringly loyal to Rose was evident from the three (?) times you encounter her. She hugs her Garbodor's pokéball before sending it out, talks about having changed her image, and beats herself up for being useless when you defeat it. Maybe it's not universally agreed that anyone who loves Garbodor is a good person at heart, but I thought it was clear that Rose had lifted her from obscurity, likely even poverty, and was the first person to ever believe in her.

Her story is told very effectively with the presentation you do get.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
You can get through most 5-star raids with just the AI squad, if your lead pokémon is level 100. I've caught anything I've come across with just a Butterfree, though some have taken a couple tries.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I like when the games account for this; a couple of the early fights in Sun/Moon will have dialogue talking about how cool Z-moves are that will be replaced with people calling you a baller for not even using them, and you can just refuse the Mega Lucario you're offered in X/Y.

I don't think Sword/Shield does this, but it also lets you beat people on national TV with a literal mountain of garbage, so I haven't made the effort to look.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Heart Gold/Soul Silver

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
That's, what, Sneasel, Snover, Snorunt? Maybe Smoochum? Were Seel or Spheal in gen IV?

E: Wait, I forgot about Swinub, the best foot warmer pig. Shame on me.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The birds aren't even in Isle of Armor; that's Crown Tundra content.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I just stuff them in the Box of Shame. Nicknames are sacred, and I cherish the few nicknamed 'mons I've received in wonder/surprise trades, and I'm genuinely annoyed when I get a pokémon whose nickname is an ad or link. I refuse to trade anything I wouldn't want to receive forward, so in the box they go, and they at least serve to expand my lottery odds.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Oh neat, I just made it to the first Wild Area in my new run. I am definitely gonna go get all the crazy poo poo before ever setting foot in Motostoke and starting my gym challenge.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Welp, I made it through the Isle of Armor before ever setting foot in Motostoke. It's entirely possible to get all the places you need to go on foot. Also the final Urshifu challenge also scales based on badges, so you just need to be level 30 to take it on. I did not realize this beforehand, so I fed my Kubfu half the large candies I got from one mystery gift to raise it to level 70, which made the challenge a bit underwhelming.

Welp, time to trounce the gym challenge and come back to check it out when I've got the water bike and sky cab. Did anyone spot any ghost types on there? I'm doing a ghost mono run, and I'm having a hard time rounding out my team without using anything I've used in a previous playthrough.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah, that's all I found, and I've already got a Pallosand in my Hall of Fame. Ah well, worst case I'll add something spooky that isn't a ghost type. Would be nice to have something that doesn't take double damage from every bite and crunch out there.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Uh, was the G-max form of Melmetal not public knowledge? It was the very first thing Bogleech posted after Swish came out.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

dungeon cousin posted:

Is that Arceus looking like Landorus-T?

Pretty sure that's Giratina (it has six legs), and Arceus is the rough draft to the right of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
beta garchomp more like better garchomp