Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Nicknaming it Wololo until the end of time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Finally my Pokemon can step on me

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

DLC Inc posted:

My real concern is "will this have as good a postgame as Black/White2"

It will not and I'm sorry

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Also Game Freak have been lazy fuckers since like Gen 6 and nothing different should be expected

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Unused Sun/Moon postgame dlc would’ve included a horror mini game where thousands of Lillie’s march through the streets

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Balon posted:

The missing Pokémon will be added in through dlc eventually. They have that capability in the switch now.

If they had any intent of doing this they could easily say so and avoid the flak they’re now justifiably getting for it

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

So when's Into the Pokeverse?

Also best anime league confirmed: either guzma or ash will be champs

Congratulations, Guzma

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

lezard_valeth posted:

My youtube feed has been full of 20 minutes long effort videos titled "wHy pOkEmOn ShIeLd/sWoRd SuXXX" or different variations...

so aside from the no national dex thing, what has gf done now to piss the fans? I haven't been following these games too much

Trees with textures ripped from Ocarina of Time, general incredible laziness, really it’s the fact that more hasn’t changed that’s the biggest piss-off for some people

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The national dex is some pretty bad poo poo though, I didn’t buy USUM and I think I’ll keep that streak going for these new ones at this rate

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Average Bear posted:

Game seems fairly bluepilled and cringe so far.

Same

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Lazy_Liberal posted:

who wants to deal with 800+ pokemon?

Me, I do

Alxprit posted:

It seems like you people still don't understand that the whole Galar Dex thing isn't a matter of whether they can or not (because they definitely can), but it is instead a matter of if they want to or not (they don't want to). If it ends up leading to a better game overall, then let them spend their dev hours on what they actually believe matters.

Things that actually matter, like new custom giant models for Pokemon instead of upscaling

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Mizuti posted:

This whole Dexit thing shines a light on the weaknesses of core Pokémon games. I watched a comparison of Pokémon Stadium (N64) battles versus Sword/Shield battles, and come to think of it, the presentation isn't upgraded a lot between them despite them being 20 years apart. The average modern Pokémon model doesn't have a lot of animations for using moves or personality in combat*, and the average moves aren't very flashy. But up until now I didn't mind.

Why? Because core Pokémon was on a handheld system, and it devoted most of its resources towards supporting a huge roster. I didn't mind if the move animations were basic, or if the models for many Pokémon are rather stiff, because it was still a huge achievement for a portable game and all Pokémon and moves were included. Now it's moving to a vastly more powerful home console and severely cutting the roster, and the presentation is still largely the same.

In fairness, the Stadium games were solely devoted to those kinds of specialized battle animations and didn't require any real campaign design.

That is all the more reason they could've developed a similar battle game as a test ground for some of those model animations, though, and the fact that going forward they'll be charging 33% more without any comparable improvements is absurd.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Alxprit posted:

But it's wrong to say a game is just bad before it's out.

Baseless pessimism is pointless, but there's clearly a basis for it here and it's perfectly reasonable to say "this looks bad" when what the developers are selectively picking and choosing to show looks bad!

If you don't like people being negative about something you're free to tune out if you want! Nobody's stopping you and that might in fact be a really sensible thing to do, but you're not the arbiter of whether or not something's valid or meaningful when it comes to other people's complaints about a billion dollar company being really loving lazy and inept.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
It’s a mobile game selling human characters so I’m going to just guess and say we’re at the Darth Sidious level of insidious

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Lmao why even say anything about it again

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Tyranitar is still one of the all time greatest Pokemon designs

Houndoom, Steelix, Scizor, the Eevees, the Mareep line, the legendaries are all insanely good and strong designs, Sneasel, Crobat and Misdreavus are all standouts

There are better gens and the starters are on the whole worthless but it still has some really great designs

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
In summation I would like Junichi Masuda to be eaten by a Houndoom

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Farecoal posted:

say that to cyndaquil's face

What do you get when you take Charizard’s base stats then take away the Charizard

You get gently caress all

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Chill Penguin posted:

These people should be putting that energy toward “going apeshit” about climate change

Incidentally, this thought has been stewing around in my head since about when Dexit started, but if people get this pissed off about a few Pokemon getting cut due to resource limitations can you imagine what it will be like when people get told they have to cut back on driving/can’t own cars/can’t eat as much meat?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

qnqnx posted:

Personally, I think they are hiding that they are as a company less interested in developing the Pokemon mainlines and more into new IPs, namely, Town. There are only so many resources and time and Town is looking like it got the most focus.

It’s going to be interesting to see how Town does because it essentially represents what Game Freak is capable of without the sum total of 20 years of Pokemon varnish obscuring it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Xander B Coolridge posted:

Goons defending their intense emotional response to something so utterly inconsequential is really loving Goony

It’s possible to think something’s lovely without setting cars on fire over it bud

Can you maybe list out some of the appropriate things to respond to for the benefit of all the Goons going Goony?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

One of the first things posted was about how Masuda should be thrown from a building as punishment for cutting the pokemon roster, so sure, very level headed and reasonable, indeed.

Excuse me, it was that he should be eaten by a fictional cartoon hellhound, thank you very much :colbert:

E: And then something involving Obama, idk

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Eiba posted:

What was wrong with Sun and Moon?

Unskippable cutscenes and an awful lot of them

Rotom

1% or super obscure encounters with a ton of cool new Pokemon

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

RatHat posted:

I don't understand how such blatant copyright theft would happen anywhere, let alone China.

When you’re powerful you get to ignore a lot of rules regarding things like copyright theft and human rights

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
That gif is also very much a cherry pick from a game that likely has a much more limited number of Pokemon than whatever Game Freak’s doing along with very simplified and streamlined mechanics. I’m going to guess that Pikachu, one of the most iconic mascots in the world got a lot more time making sure it’s face didn’t mysteriously vanish during animations or whatever.

Still not an excuse to me for the current issues but it is worth noting.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Vandar posted:

They're probably working with an incredibly limited roster of monsters and also the game is most likely hella shallow compared to actual Pokemon games.

Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky and Super Mystery Dungeon are both hella good and worth grabbing.

On the other hand it’s a literal Chinese knockoff

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
What was Smash Ultimate’s tagline again?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
That interview’s not just somebody blowing smoke, right?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Andrast posted:

True but you're going to turn them off anyway

By that same logic why bother implementing different models for Dynamaxing if nobody is going to care about them a generation from now?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Dias posted:

That's not unreasonable, unfortunately it feels like the discourse here has degraded into Reddit-level yelling so that ship's sailed a while ago.

Have you actually been to reddit lately?

People here have been mostly civil and reasonable about the entire thing.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Avalerion posted:

Right but then explain skitty x wailord.

I mean have you tried to make a whale gently caress a cat? Can you say, with absolute confidence, that something would not result from that? :colbert:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Dias posted:

This is what I'm talking about, it devolved into Reddit-level garbage a while ago. We even got a dude "ironically" hoping that GF got bombed or something like that.

Unironically source your quote on that one

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

I mean if they have to update some maybe they're updating the models already on Switch too?

This by itself isn't really damning until SwSh is out.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Namagem posted:

I mean, we've seen some model differences in Sword and Shield already, most noticeable between the LGPE pikachu and the Swsh pikachu have model differences noticeable just from looking at them.

I'm calling in an expert witness for this

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

Too many things resist Bug, in general. Ghost and Poison shouldn't resist Bug either.

And Ice needs more resistances. At the very least it should resist Flying.

It should resist water too.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

The Bee posted:

Touko should've been it for Unova. gently caress Trip.

Nodosaur posted:

Hilda has really gotten the short end of the stick in adaptations. Either she's ignored in favor of Hilbert or she's portrayed as naive and inexperienced when she does show up.

Absolutely do not understand why they didn’t continue the pattern and have her be a travelling companion

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Flopsy posted:

Gotcha. Thank you.

I can't recall Ash ever traveling with an older competent female trainer can you?

Ometeotl posted:

It was the first gen where the trainers were noticeably older.

There’s a first time for everything! :mad:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

iospace posted:

:stare:

Ok, so my game progression went Gen 1 -> Gen 5 -> Gen 6 -> Gen 7, so I obviously skipped Gen 4.

How the hell, in a series that's known for clever programming tricks to make things run smoothly under normal circumstances, manage to screw up that bad in gen 4?

Game Freak is known for the exact opposite of that thing you said

E: R/B’s shortcomings are well known, Iwata was responsible for the compression that made G/S possible as it was, no comment on RSE, D/P are infamously unoptimized, B/W did run pretty well, then every portable game from X/Y to just before LGP/E has run like crap in battles.

To be clear a lot of these are still excellent games

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 23, 2019

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

oddium posted:

i remember all pokémon as precious children and gifts but stunky and evolved stunky are less remembered

I remember it because learning flamethrower and explosion were inspired

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Parrotine posted:

We aren't allowed to talk about Dexit stuff anymore are we? Cause man I just went through the nuclear takes on the Smogon boards and lol it is peak schadenfreude material, grab a bag of popcorn and watch the shitshow

Why on earth would you drag this poo poo back in here again

What is wrong with you