Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

lezard_valeth posted:

also this waiting gonna suck

more games should do what SSBU did and just have a 40 minute direct where you flat out reveal the whole game and just reveal small new details every 2 months or so- it builds just as much hype if not more

I wanna know what new pokes we getting :mad:

Too much hype is actually a bad thing.

Plus, the sense of discovery from seeing a Pokemon you never knew about is fun and good, and they tried to foster that with SM. (And maybe XY? I don't recall.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
There sure were a lot of D/P/Pt threads, huh.

chaosapiant posted:

I’m lookin forward to making a six man party based on the members of Iron Maiden and conquering the land with the power of rock!

This is an awesome idea.

Wait will we get a David Bowie Pokemon??

Edit: BW were just a giant circle, they were very linear. All the games have been except for RBY and, to some extent, GSC. It didn't work very well IMO and was part of the reason the level curve was messed up.

Solumin fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Feb 28, 2019

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Well the game is full of prepubescent kids so yeah David Bowie is probably hanging around

I think you're thinking of someone else. Maybe Jimmy Saville?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Iron Crowned posted:

Carnivine and Maractus are good and cool and my friends.

:yeah:

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
There's no one running the Ice trial, so you've decided to step up. But first you have to complete the island challenge with a mono ice team!

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Scrap Dragon posted:

As someone who is currently doing an Ice Monotype run of UM: you also have Sanslash, Glaceon, Dewgong, Cloyster, Jynx, Aurorus, and Vanilluxe are catchable in-game. There’s also Weavile and Lapras if you feel like waiting until the rear end end of the game to add something to your team. US/UM are actually pretty good for Ice type availability

Fake edit: I looked it up and Delibird is also available lol

This is what I was thinking too, though I would also trade in Ninetales-A too.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Is the Rotom as Podedex a gen 7 thing? Because hot drat it’s annoying as hell.

They made it way worse in USUM.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Crosspeice posted:

You guys wanted leaks?

As soon as we see the UI design for battles, we'll know if it's fake or not. But hey, with the video to go alongside it, this is nice and convincing, just how I like my leaks.

I love it

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Is it that time already? Time to avoid the Pokemon thread if you don't want (potential) spoilers?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

:kimchi: This is adorable

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Yeah, Bogleech is a cool dude who writes lots of cool stuff. However, some of his Pokemon reviews are objectively wrong :colbert: Lilligant deserved a higher rating.

They're personal reviews, not objective analyses.

Bogleech does get at least one thing objectively right: Lucario is trash.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
So a bunch of y'all complained about random battles coming back for Gen 8 after Let's Go removed them, and I really wasn't agreeing with you.
Well I'm playing UM now and let me tell you, grinding random battles until that one 5% chance Pokemon that's only on this one route finally shows up really sucks.
But I have a Pichu now so that's cool. :3:

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Hammerite posted:

The keyring was a generation later

bad things about gen 5:
- a bit straight-lineish
- alomomola should clearly be related to luvdisc

good things about gen 5:
- everything else

Yeah!! 100% correct post.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
There are too many good Pokemon in USUM! (And in general, really.) I'm only on Route 2 and I've had to make so many hard decisions about who to swap out.
I need Cutiefly on my team and I don't know who to replace.
:negative:

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Funnily enough, I just caught Dunsparce in UM.

Current team is Litten, Pichu, Pikipek, Rattata-A, Grimer-A and now Ekans. Trying to use 'mons I've never used before!

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

I was just looking through all the Grass-type moves, and wow, Grass attacks were really bad in Gen I. OK, Razor Leaf was legitimately good (since it basically always critted back then), but the only other Grass moves that dealt even moderate damage back then were Petal Dance (70 power, with a drawback) and Solarbeam (120 power, but wastes a turn). Meanwhile other types got moves like Dig, Earthquake, Body Slam, Hyper Beam (which didn't even skip a turn if it KOed), Psychic, Flamethrower, Surf, Fire Blast, and Hydro Pump. Later gens made Grass moves much better (increased power for Petal Dance, sunlight providing a way to circumvent Solarbeam's drawback, Giga Drain, Energy Ball, Power Whip, increased power for some of the Gen I moves in Let's Go).

It took until Gen 7 to get a low-power physical grass move.
I'm glad we finally have Energy Ball at least.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
It took me until right now to remember Vine Whip.

In my defense I was thinking "low powered special attack that isn't complete garbage like Absorb" since fire and water have Ember and Bubble, but I checked leafage before posting and forgot what I was looking for.

My point is there seems to be a standard set of attacks and some types didn't have them for a while. Things like Ember/Bubble equivalents, elemental hyper beams, 90 damage/low pp attacks, 60 damage high pp attacks, etc.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Nasgate posted:

Extremely wrong. A suped up GM with a command fin is a million times better than that SEED-lite abomination.

Also Unicorn is bad, mostly because it's literally fanfic.

In other news, I'm extremely aggravated that the wild Eevee you can catch in Let's Go are always just a level or two above when the Eevolutions learn their best moves. Flare Blitz isn't too bad to miss, and Thunder has a TM, but gently caress Vaporeon I guess.

Also, extremely sad that the game with the better starter misses out on my boy Mankey.

Is there no Move Relearner in Let's Go? I know we give game freak poo poo for dropping popular features, and with good reason, but they haven't left out the move relearner since it was introduced.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Wow that's garbage.

And the location of the move relearner sucks too.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I'm not happy that I won't be able to take my favorite pokemon through the new games, but I'll get over it.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Because if they don't have every Pokemon in every game, the only way to let people battle their friends with whatever Pokemon they want is to add it to home. Or make another app I guess?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Abundant Atrophy posted:

Rose is evil because corporations, but Oleana is that Pokemon Evil you're expecting

That's what I'm wondering: does Rose commit Pokemon crimes, or FIFA crimes?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I for one am looking forward to the erasure of the Gen IV legendaries and mythicals from the Pokedex.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Annath posted:

What's with all the Gen 4 hate? I enjoyed them quite a lot, and HGSS especially are my 2nd favorite after RSE.

"Filler legendary" sounds like an oxymoron but DPPt made it a reality.

I'm not hating on the whole gen, though it's my least favorite. HGSS were really good, and I like many of the Gen IV Pokemon.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I would be surprised if "for the love of the game" isn't a theme. That's been a constant throughout Pokemon: love of Pokemon, or sometimes love of battling/training, trumps all.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I dunno how anyone could look at Contary Leaf storm and go "Hmm yes this doesn't seem.all that useful".

It's the most numbers rear end gimmick a starter has ever had

Fine, Serperior is great when you can get its hidden ability. It's still not great in the games, where you can't get the hidden ability.

Contrary is hilariously broken in the early game though, everything has Growl or Leer.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Zubat is an extremely good and cuddly friend.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Borsche69 posted:

After using Crobat a bunch I have to say that I like Zubat now. Even though its level up movepool totally sucked until like gen 6 or 7 where it learned Bite and Wing Attack at a reasonable rate.

The secret is to catch Zubat in a later cave when it's around level 20 or higher.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
And those 80 Pokemon were overall very, very good designs.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
That's ok, his husband Blue accepts him and handles all the talking in public.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Bruceski posted:

That bird pokemon was a Liver Bird, wasn't it? Liverpool's mythological mascot?

I thought it was a cormorant, based on the name.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I promise you, a bara cruiser is something entirely different.

Still quite a catch though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Yes

Red is a way of being. Not a color. Here's the order of most to least red entries

Red
Gold
Sword
Ruby
Y
Black
Sun
Diamond

Most to least Blue:
Blue
Moon
Shield
White
X
Pearl
Silver
Sapphire

This makes complete sense in a way I cannot put into words.