Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

After getting a lovely birthday gift of a Switch to play Monster Hunter Rise on, I picked up Pokemon Sword as my first game since R/S/E and man what a blast. Became Champion and am chonking my way through the Isle of Armor, it's been a genuinely good time all around.

Popped in the pokegoons discord for trading and general pokemon chat, I'll see y'all around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I will never understand Rose. Once his intentions were revealed I actually put my switch down for a bit and just stared into space. Really? His entire reason is because the region might start running out of power in 100 years? Just a might? Not accounting for the fact that 100 years is a long loving time, he clearly didn't think there would be any advancements in technology or alternative forms of energy.

Like, I get that pokemon stories aren't genuinely deep and motivations are generally straightforward but :psyduck:

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Flopsy posted:

Greatest tragedy of Sword and Shield is the fact almost all the characters except the villains are great and there's no story present to work with. Like loving NONE.

I honestly gotta agree. While I was initially sour on Bede once you learned more I really appreciated how he got to grow as a character. Also made me quite fond of the fairy gym leader for taking him in. While I've already talked about Rose, he was fairly inoffensive as a person, especially compared to Oleana who outright manipulates and abuses a child to further the plans of the person she is completely obsessed with. And then she just gets to turn around and be like "I just wanted to help him!!!" as if they're trying to redeem her actions.

Hop also was kinda meh until post-game where he clearly finds his own path and grows as a person. But then you're in the post game which means you get to meet them. Like seriously, when Sordward and Shielbert appear on screen for the first time I just rolled my eyes and chuckled a bit at what is clearly going to be a silly bit, then their dialogue started and I physically cringed. Who thought that would be a good motivation? Or at all compelling? I get wanting to lock getting the cool legendary pokemon from the box art behind a bit more of a challenge and plot, but those two? Realllllly?

Just absolutely baffling.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I both like and dislike Klara. Her character arc is solid, but the start is super rocky and ridiculous. This adult(?) that just rolls up and starts getting incredibly insecure about a literal child joining the dojo. It's weird and off-putting. On top of that you can start the DLC as the champion, like of course you're gonna get rolled by the literal champion of the pokemon league who beat an unbeatable champion, why are you so insecure about it? For all that I disliked her initially, I was still impressed a character like her was actually written into the game.

Tbh I didn't even think you'd get a different rival in the other version, kinda glad I got Sword for many reasons now I never even foresaw.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Children in the pokemon universe are capable of taming gods and defeating any foe so treating me as a threat was 100% understandable.\

Also your argument is "It's weird she's so threatened by the this child but also if you're the champion it's obvious she would be outclassed and her position threated." which seems contradictory.

tbf I am great at contradicting myself because I am bad at organizing my thoughts. To clarify, I think it's odd that in a world so connected and modern like Sw/Sh's is set to be in that Klara (and everyone on the Isle of Armor) would know you are the champion. It would make total sense that when you first arrive (if you are the champion) that Klara freaks out a bit, then acts like it's no big deal and tries to send you away to keep you from joining the dojo because she is justifiably threatened by the champion showing up. Like, it would justify her insecurities and feel like her character arc was a bit more meaningful and understandable?

Then again, pokemon games in general don't generally acknowledge how much of a badass you are rolling over everyone. So Klara gets to be a weirdo adult being extremely petty to children.

Pretty much this

Flopsy posted:

Impression I got is she didn't even recognize who we were so right off the bat so the greatest threat she can claps eyes on is...a literal child. And frankly that's amazing.

it's why I came around to her after being so aghast.

I am nothing if not a land of contrasts.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Wait, their outfit was a palette swap?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

bug wings are usually akin to paper and it is full on bug/flying so maybe that?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Is Manaphy possible to get even if you didn't pre-order?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

SpicyPete posted:

Yep, its not a pre-order bonus, just a launch event. Unlock Mystery Gift in the TV station in Jublife and then check the internet gifts.

You've got until Feb 21st to grab it and the Platinum clothes set.

nice, good to know

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

My only shiny was a Hoothoot I found in gen 2 when playing silver. I had no idea what it was as a kid at the time till after the red Gyarados in the lake, and then thought it was cool I had another pokemon like that.

Haven't seen a wild found shiny since, though I only played Ruby before jumping (many) gens to Sw/Sh.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

ah nice. same shiny pokemon as ash, that's gotta feel good as a kid.

Gonna be honest while I did follow the show I don't ever remember him getting a shiny hoothoot. And it may have happened before the episode even aired.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Cattail Prophet posted:

I will only accept this interpretation if Khezu's theme starts playing whenever Wiglett is onscreen.