Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
twelve hours later and grookey still sounds like a slur

extremely bad mouthfeel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

mandatory lesbian posted:

Linearity isn't inherently bad and it's an empty criticism to me, it's okay to have to do things in a certain order

Like gen 2 was very non-linear and it ruined the level curve in a major way
This

I'm replaying White rn and it's just chill as heck, the scaling all feels right. Like Unova might as well be a straight circle but all the towns feel cool and different that I dont mind. This is a good straight line

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
hey thread, tell me if I should use carracosta or archeops in my White playthrough

I've used Carracosta before but I cant tell if Defeatist would be fun or annoying

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
because gen5 is really good

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
n's cool and my friend. i rode the ferris wheel with him

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
elesa is also cool.

look at her big coat!

Zore posted:

The woman is Elesa, Electric gym leader who's also a fashion model. She had two really boring gyms and had some annoying Emolga. Also did gently caress all in Gen V despite most gym leaders actually getting to do poo poo.
she was part of bianca's storyline and introduces you to alder

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i like the gen v story because stuff happens other than stopping an evil team and seeing a big bird or dragon. not a lot of stuff, but there's some stuff. i do not think there is much weird about it.

the translation of gen 5 feels off tho imo

thetoughestbean posted:

They had too many new Pokémon and not having old Pokémon until the postgame wasn’t great.
i love these things, so much so that im not sure how they are bad

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Ziddar posted:

Black/White were the first games where The Pokémon Company started doing translation in-house. I guess it was a rough start. Prior to that, Nob Ogasawara (who posts here as Doug Dinsdale) did all mainline games.

HGSS was technically after the switch, but it reused like 90% of the dialog from GSC.
Yeah I remember reading his posts here a long time ago, and I do think it kinda shows

The big characters all sound fine, though the random trainers just kinda talk clunkier. Like Pokemon NPCs have already talked in odd non-sequiturs, rarely saying anything that isn't about Pokemon, but some people in Unova are going bonkers. Their TV channels are also just wild

Johnny Joestar posted:

it's bad until it's good and conversely it's good until it's bad. i hope this has been helpful in navigating the very straightforward world of 'things are different and i don't like it'
:monocle:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
It was a zombie arbork in lavender tower that blues chameleon killed

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
adventures is kinda sick as hell sometimes

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
yeah, why don't these disenfranchise teens and young adults just get over it and pull themselves up by their bootstraps

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i mean, if we want to Seriously Look At The Pokemon World, this is a place that values battle acumen to the point that it dictates your authority and status in society. Being a Kahuna and a Trial Leader is a big deal and going on your Trial Challenge is something everyone in Alola does apparently.

I dont think using the main character as the ruler works because the main character is the only one in the world who uses a balanced team of six pokemon, so I think it's fair to say that the Trials and Gym Battles are considered pretty challenging. So Sun/Moon looks at "Well what if you fail them? What if you're bad at battles? What if you can't finish the Trial Challenge?" and so for one reason or another, these guys fall out of the society and with no where else to go, find other down and out youths to hang out with, and do minor crime. There's also a bit about the original Team Skull being struck down by the Tapus? or something? So they've always kind of been on the outs. Saying that their problems are self inflicted when literally everything anyone in this world cares about, talks about and thinks about is Pokemon is like saying "Git Gud"

everyone in this universe needs a new hobby and team skull are cool losers

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Mar 17, 2019

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
It's a really cool ball

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/pkjd818/status/1107212557218045952

i gotta catch up

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Boober

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
this is such an insane thing to be mad about

oddium posted:

the pokemon master that can be named is not the true pokemon master

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

The Bee posted:

I feel like this is the kind of thing that relies heavily on how content your fanbase currently is. Riding on a high of hype? You can take your sweet time with reveals while the chat speculates and most casual viewers pop in and out through the day to check for new stuff. Fanbase on the fence? Then you really need to tighten up the timing, lead with strong new reveals, and win the crowd back.

In a time like this, where everyone's desperate for good news, being kind of lackadaisical feels like a failure to read the room.
everyone beat me to it, but dude it incredibly doesn't loving matter.

you, me, everyone in here are going to buy these, there is nothing they could now to stop these games from selling well, even if they wanted to. pokemon is the highest grossing media franchise of all time, what "room" do you want them to read that they haven't read yet.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

i don't understand why is Chansey here, is she getting an evo
blissey

e: since you asked, here are my fav Hoenn pokemon going entirely off my memory of when I was also 10, and not at all with how good they are now
- Ralts
- Lotad
- Aron
- Swablu
- Corphish
- Seviper/Zangoose
- Beldum
- Vibrava

like half of those are early/mid game

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Oct 6, 2019

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
sign me up for galarian delibird. i love that dude, but he's uhhhh

no esta bien

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
People in this read really read into rumors and leaks way too loving much, but if Gen 9 is "already in development" and it "might take place in Spain" then that just means they have booked trips for places they want to scout, please calm down

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Dr Christmas posted:

I have a question that I’ve intermittently wondered about for two decades: What the fresh hell is up with Team Rocket’s “Prepare for trouble” speech?
okay so, prepare for trouble right?

and then double that

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
seasons own

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
why do these photos of strategy guides look like the goddamn Patterson–Gimlin film

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Procrastine posted:

Look what you've done, now they're taking them badly on purpose
jesus christ lmao

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Supersonic Shine posted:

Slowly developing an obsession with seeing Scorbunny's last evo before November 15th, 2019.
slowly?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
The Scorbunny evos are good. Everyone in this thread hated the Sobble evos until they saw more art and animations and it will happen again

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
DK64 absolutely is not good

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I don't trust pics of random computer screens for anything but I like Scorbunny's final form a lot. art really helps

that guy looks like a cool dude

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I'm glad people are changing their tune. I'm sure this will mean that this weird angry anxiety won't happen again for Gen 9

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

KittyEmpress posted:

Much like XY, this is a big move to a new architecture with new things they never experienced before and I do feel like it will show. I doubt many people will regard it as the best generation ever (though I do think it has a lot of mons who are contenders for new favorites) but hopefully they'll look at their failures here and build upon it.

I had similar feelings about XY, where they were disappointing and meh, but Ultra Sun is my most played pokemon game ever.
I like this take a lot!

As someone who skipped X/Y due to time and money, has heard a lot of grievances about it, loved Sun/Moon and is now skipping Sw/Sh, I'm predicting Gen 9 is going to kick rear end

the new pokemon are awesome tho so this one will be good too. you've heard it here first