Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
None of the new starters really caught my attention at first.

Then I saw a picture of Scorbunny as Max. I now have my initial favorite. This may change, but for now...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I will jump on one of those Marshadow.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Flopsy posted:

Alrighty I'm going get online now just send me a message.

Don't have platinum or whatever for PMs here, but I added you though via FC on my 3DS, which I assume/hope that code was for. I should show up as Blaze or Marshall.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I feel dumb. Would help if I gave my FC too.

4141-2107-1488

Friend code should show up as Blaze, I believe, with in-game name being Marshall.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
You're the best, dude. This was the last thing I needed for a complete Living Dex that I couldn't get in-game. Missed the giveaway, and they banned Marshadow from the GTS.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Grookey attempts to put the Honedge down gently. The Honedge's tassel instead wraps around it and drains the Grookey's life force. Grookey is now dead. This is why we don't use Honedge as actual swords, people.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

chaosapiant posted:

I guess I’m on the home stretch of Ultra Moon. I just clowned on blondy bighair’s team with my level 62 Decidueye. Never even had to heal or swap out.

Speaking of being an amazing human both in real life and in Pokémon games, who should I use the master ball on in Ultra Moon? I think Necrozma is my next big fight, should I use it then? Or hold out for bigger prey? I bought like 48 ultra balls, maybe they’ll work instead?

You can't catch Necrozma the first time you fight him. After the BIG fight, you'll fight him in an area en route to the Pokemon League. I think he's actually really easy to catch there. As for Master Ball Targets, there are no roamers, so just... if something pops out and your first thought is "I WANT IT", go for it, I guess?

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Strange that Let's Go is considered mainline, yet Colosseum and XD are not.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Zuzie posted:

Game Freak's solution to the Stealth Rock problem was not to nerf it directly but to create absurdly powerful monsters that could really only be stopped by Stealth Rocks (Volcarona and Talonflame in particular).

I still hate Stealth rocks with a passion and still feel that there either needs to be a bunch more hazards that benefit from type matchups, or Stealth Rocks needs to *not* benefit from type matchups.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
At some point I need to get a set of three starter plushies (must be same gen, not necessarily newest gen) and put them in front of my Nephew so he can make his Most Important Choice. (He'll be turning 3 this summer, not sure when I should plan to go ahead with it :P)

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

RatHat posted:

They look pretty legit.

I'll believe "leaks" once they're confirmed. Until then, lol.

There are a lot of believable leaks out there, and there are a lot of really dumb ones. People eat 'em both up.

People are always starved for info until the games come out and even then look to guides and people posting every tiny detail of the games online rather than spend time to find it themselves.

My default assumption any time i see the word "leak" in connection to unreleased games/content is "someone's making poo poo up for attention".

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Flopsy posted:

I just remember the bit where an Arbok got messily beheaded. Also I'm not surprised.

Apparently that particular Arbok is weird and actually *recovered* from that. Reattached itself, or regrew the head or something, I forget how. But I have been told multiple times that said Arbok was not actually killed.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Worth noting, that shipwreck episode does show off Charmander, Bulbasaur, and Squirtle's established personalities pretty well, combined with them having not known Ash for very long yet.

Bulbasaur, having come from a hidden village where abandoned Pokemon are cared for, is familiar with the concept of a Pokemon being abandoned, and that's his immediate assumption; that Ash has abandoned them.
Squirtle, who's a troublemaker who had been getting along just fine on his own with his Squirtle Squad, isn't overly upset, and is even cracking (dark) jokes.
Charmander, however, already has abandonment issues because of his previous trainer, and so is pretty terrified that Bulbasaur may be right.

Pikachu, meanwhile, is of course all "SCREW YOU, HE'LL COME FOR US"

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Crosspeice posted:

We've been through the Lusamine and Ultra Necrozma arc, so it looks like he'll be participating in the Alola League, or sabotaging it, since he's furious Kukui has set it up.

Wait, what? Why?

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Oh wait, you guys mean Guzma's mad.

For some reason I thought you meant Ash. Yeah, ignore me and proceed.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Mar 26, 2019

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Flopsy posted:

WHAT HAS ARECUS WROUGHT? :magical:

That baby's name? Mystique.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I've said it a million times, and I'll say it a million more.

I HATE Stealth Rock and what it did to the competitive game. There is an upsetting number of pokemon out there whose usability tanks through the ground purely as a result of that one move.

Gamefreak either needs to take away Stealth Rocks' benefitting from type advantages, or they need to add a bunch more entry hazards that benefit from them. Hell, add a restriction of only being able to have one type-damaging entry hazard deployed at a time to prevent people stacking a bunch of them if you need to. But Stealth Rocks needs to have something done to balance it out. Having Stealth Rocks as the only entry hazard that benefits from type advantage for damage is simply unfair to stuff weak to rock.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Thing is, one of the reasons that I saw given for keeping the names the same is that changing Golisopod's name was removing some reference to it being a Samurai.

If you had not explicitly told me that reference was there, I would have no way of knowing, whether his name was changed or not because I don't speak Japanese. References and puns don't work cross-language without localization, and script re-writing. If your reference requires the other person to understand the language you're translating from, then it's not going to work unless you localize it and re-write the reference so people who only speak the language you're translating to can understand it. And if they do understand the language you're translating from, then why are you translating it at all?

I'm for using the localized names.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Flopsy posted:

....wait what happened?

Lana's making poo poo up again, I imagine

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Nasgate posted:

I hope they keep the let's go style of play for the mainline games instead of making it a side series.false swipe and spore can go right to hell.

Lack of Wild Battles can go to hell. Leave the Let's Go mechanics to Let's Go games.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Gripweed posted:

Will I not be able to transfer my Cosplay Pikachu from Alpha Sapphire to X or Moon?

You can't even put 'em in Pokemon Bank.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

indigi posted:

I didn't realize you could get all the Pokemon episodes for free by downloading an app, my nephew is very happy about that

e: lol what is this goofy new theme song. I kinda like it

Which one? The current one? Cause remember, they do a new theme song every season. Hell, Sinnoh had 3 or 4 different theme songs over the course of the region.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

SirSamVimes posted:

RR episode spoilers:

me: Okay I'm on my last legs due to mixing a type matchup but if I remember my gen 3, that camerupt was maxie's ace and it's all downhill from there
maxie: my man have you heard of this boy named groudon
me: oh right this is maxie from an alternate universe where he won, of course he has groudon

Be warned, ALL of the bosses in there have their target Legendary. Be prepared.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Farecoal posted:

Aren't Ultra Sun / Moon just enhanced editions? Did they actually change the story?

They do change the story around the Ultra Beasts and Lusamine. Instead of being psycho-obsessed with Nihilego, she's psycho-obsessed with the idea that she's the ONLY one who can solve the big problem posed by Necrozma and that you kids should just sit back and do as she says.

Also, one of the Elite 4 members is swapped out for someone else.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

RatHat posted:

Hidden Pokémon in OR/AS is a really great mechanic but I wish you were immune to wild battles while sneaking so you didn’t have to use repels.

Super Training is also really cool but seems like it’d still be faster to just grind on wild Pokémon.

GOD I miss Super Training.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Over the years, I've come to develop a near-universal distrust of Critic reviews. They constantly poo poo on enjoyable movies and praise lovely ones.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Takoluka posted:

The anime does this as well. Almost every Pokémon has a "current moveset" that has 4 moves, and Bulbapedia shows the move history of many of them.

They didn't really adhere well to it early on, but I do remember the Dragonite in the Orange Islands was deliberately given a huge moveset specifically to make it feel more powerful.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Yeah, there's not a single Pokemon above level 40 outside of Gyms, the Elite 4, and Mount Silver - not counting your Rival. Even the trainers on the routes, at least in the original game, stayed in that same 25-33 range, IIRC.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
For the fifth through seventh gym, I can understand why that ended up happening.

Because of the way Johto is laid out, once you beat Morty you can actually challenge the next three gym leaders in any drat order you want. Because beating Chuck isn't actually necessary to fight Jasmine, it just unlocks a shortcut back to Olivine. Which means that they basically forced themselves to put those three Gym Leaders, and thus all the content between them, within the same level range. But there's simply no excuse for not ramping it up once you've got seven badges.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Zuzie posted:

He's correct though. Ash is the main character and Lillie does get ample character development during that arc without having to take care of Nebby herself.

True - I would actually argue that Lille gets *better* character development with her little Alolan Vulpix than she would have with Nebby.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Shut the gently caress up Gary didn't fight Ash until over two years in?! Tracey came in and left the show before they ever fought, drat

And after that, I don't think they fought again until the Johto League, after which Gary retired as a trainer to go into research like Grandpa.

On the plus side, that second battle was a doozy.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Silver2195 posted:

Just watched the first episode of the PUSA dub ("Fear Factor Phony"). The new VAs are...not great, especially Team Rocket's. Meowth is the one that seems to have gotten the worst reception at the time, but James is the one that really annoys me. His voice is just too deep, but he's still trying to sound "gay" or maybe "posh," and just ends up sounding stupid. Ash is also rather deep and oddly scratchy at times, higher-pitched at other times; I guess that makes sense if we assume he's starting puberty (yes, I know that Best Wishes will retcon him back to being 10), but it still annoys me a bit. Jessie now has some kind of accent I can't quite place, which doesn't fit the character at all. Max now sounds younger and more vulnerable (at least intermittently), which I guess theoretically makes more sense for the ~8-year-old he's supposed to be, but feels wrong for a cocky nerd like him in practice. But maybe he just sounds like that because he's supposed to be a bit scared for much of the episode. Brock is fine, I guess; somewhat different from his 4Kids voice, but different isn't necessarily bad. May is hard to evaluate because she spends so much of the episode terrified, but she also seems fine.

Hopefully the new VAs will improve, or at least I'll get used to them. Meowth and Ash sound intermittently OK; maybe they'll do their better line deliveries consistently eventually. James is probably a hopeless case, and unfortunately the next episode is a James-centric one.

The actual episode was decent. I like that they actually gave a backstory for why the Psychic-types and Ghost-types didn't get along, as opposed to episodes like "Whichever Way the Wind Blows" where particular species of Pokemon just hate each other for no real reason. I also like that the Ralts line being in the Amorphous Egg Group was plot-important (or maybe the Wobuffet-Kirlia romance was just a coincidence, since the Pokemon crushes in "Once in a Mawile" ignored Egg Groups).

Edit: The new theme song is crap, by the way. I wasn't a big fan of "Unbeatable" (the tune was too similar to the past OPs, and the overconfident lyrics annoyed me a little), but it was better than this.

The transition to the new voice actors is *REALLY* jarring, but it does get better over time. They settle into the role decently enough.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Detective Pikachu was cool. Ditto and Mewtwo were terrifying for different reasons. I really wish there were more battles.

I dug the art style for the most part. The Licktung was cool, still not sure about furry Charizard. He needed more scales imo.

He DID have scales. That wasn't fur.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Nasgate posted:

They really should've let Ash win and become a champion of some region. It'd mean he gets to come back every now and then. And kids prefer new starters to Pikachu anyway ime with literal 10 year old relatives.

I mean, if nothing else, he made it all the way to the finals in Kalos, which is the best he's ever done in a proper Regional League tournament. And he put up a drat strong fight against a trainer who had received tons of setup thanks to the Mega Evolution shorts before his appearance in the main series.

I'm okay with him losing tournaments, as long as it's a BELIEVABLE loss to a character who'd received some measure of characterization and setup.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Your options for a Fire-type are *EXTREMELY* limited in Sinnoh; in Diamond and Pearl, Ponyta was literally your only choice for a Fire Type if you didn't choose Chimchar (outside of trading). Platinum adds Houndour and Magby as options, so you're not quite as screwed if you want a fire-type.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Farecoal posted:

lmao if you use attacks that hurt your own Pokemon or cause a negative stat change

Choice Scarf, Reckless, Brave Bird, and Double Edge.

Staraptor is best Kamikazeburd. His job is to go forth and murder until he can murder no more because he has murdered himself in the process.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

RatHat posted:

I guess I did too many Roto Lottos because now my Rotom Dex won’t stop repeating the same few “tips” to me and I can barely ever see my map. Is there anything I can do about this?

Has nothing to do with how many Roto Lottos you did. That's just Rotom. Welcome to the downside of Gen 7.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Silver2195 posted:

And Ash finally beats that Battle Frontier, thanks to Pikachu...defeating a full-health Regice with a single Volt Tackle. Sure. The rest of the Brandon fight was really good, though.

Two more episodes left before Diamond and Pearl. Apparently DP is widely considered the peak of the anime, although I'm a bit skeptical as it's 191 episodes; can the anime writers really fill that many episodes for one region without resorting to Johto levels of formulaic character-of-the-day material?

I won't lie. There is a *LOT* of Filler to sift through, and Brock is in full Flanderization, to use the TVtropes term. However, DP contains some of the best plotlines, and Ash is at by far his most inventive and creative, and overall just generally SMARTEST in terms of battling in a long time before and after the region. The Rival successfully makes you hate him with a passion, because like a good Rival, he's COMPETENT, despite being a complete and utter rear end in a top hat. Plus there's no annoying tagalong kid this time.

The way Ash loses at the league is utterly infuriating, but that and the filler don't ruin the region for me. DP is definitely the peak of the series for me, at least if we're only considering completed regions.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Vandar posted:

I was watching that episode live via a stream when it first aired, and let me tell you. I have never seen as many angry nerds in one place as I did when Darkrai got defeated only for a goddamn Latios to appear and stomp the rest of Ash's party.

I'm pretty sure that's still the biggest bullshit moment in the entire anime.

I went on a big rant about just how bullshit the whole character is, years ago. I could copy-paste it if you want.

Geostomp posted:

Isn’t the way he lost to an kid even dumber than him who didn’t even have a complete team in the next series almost as bad? Of course, BW as a whole is bad even by the low standards of this anime.

Difference is, that stupid loss came at the end of a stupid season, where Ash is at his weakest in terms of competence since Kanto. And the character he lost to is basically a compilation of all his worst traits in the first season amped up to 11 - complete with his ungodly luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Okay then, here you go. My "I hate Tobias" rant from a whole 8 years ago. Maybe don't read if you somehow haven't seen the Sinnoh anime seasons and don't wanna spoil details of how he gets knocked out of the end tournament this time around.

Blaze from 2011 posted:

When I was growing up, I stopped watching Pokemon mid-way through Johto. Well, earlier this year, I went back and watched the series up to the first few episodes of Black & White, and today's gripe comes just a smidgeon earlier than that.

The Sinnoh League competition. I have one name for you, folks: TOBIAS. Anyone who has actually seen those episodes will hopefully remember that name. And if you don't, Darkrai. You remember now. I hate Tobias with a passion, for a very simple reason. In effect, he is a giant walking middle finger to a fair number of viewers. Those of course being the people who would like to see Ash actually win a competition for once - or at least make it to the last round. Every other League competition, there has been someone who knocked him out before the finals. He made it farther and farther, even making it to the semi-finals in the Sinnoh League.

But then came along Tobias. He had some setup thanks to the Super Nerd whose name I forget, but it all essentially boiled down to "There's a guy in this tournament who's completely invincible". Tobias was given no character, no personality, no history, no explanation, and at least two Legendaries. We never saw the remaining four. If we had, given what we had seen of the character thus far, I was half expecting to see freakin' Mewtwo pop out of one of those balls. It would make about as much sense as any other aspect of the character.

We're never told who this guy is, where he's from, what he's like, or how he acquired his legendary team. All we ever got was some "this guy is good" setup, and then Ash was out of the tournament. Again. But this time the writers didn't even give him the dignity of a semi-even fight. They just threw him into a roflstomp against a throwaway battling god that they never bothered to explain, and frankly, as much as I want some answers about this guy, we're probably never going to see or even hear about him again except maybe in flashbacks where they won't even acknowledge any of this, they'll just remember that one guy who beat Ash. Because that's all there was to him.

As far as I'm concerned, Ash deserved to win the Sinnoh tournament. Tobias should never have existed, because the only reason he DID was as a walking "Keep Ash out of the Finals" wall, and we've had those characters before... but they provided somewhat even fights, and were characterized beforehand. Furthermore, Ash was the only trainer in the entire REGION to knock out even ONE of Tobias' Pokemon - the Darkrai that singlehandedly swept every other trainer in the region. And once he went down, Tobias threw a Latios at Ash, and even then, Ash managed to take it out with his final move, though because Ash also lost with that last exchange, Tobias was never forced to reveal a third Pokemon.

We all know why Tobias really existed. Ash isn't allowed to win a real League (the Orange Islands don't friggin' count, there was no tournament), because the creators want to keep the series going forever and for Ash to win a tournament would mean that he was running out of growth potential, I guess. I don't friggin' care. He leaves his team behind every new region anyway. Everyone who watches the show knows the kid is experienced and knows how to raise Pokemon (despite his apparent IQ reset that seems to have started coming with leaving the team behind). Let him win a drat tournament for once, or at the very least make it to the drat finals. Tobias was just insulting, to Ash and to us.

For the record, I am entirely okay with Ash's loss at the end of X/Y. He made it to the finals, and the guy he lost to had received tons of buildup and characterization, having been at the center of the Mega Evolution shorts.