Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Zuzie posted:

So "Sw" and "Sh" are the abbreviations that people have decided upon.

"SwSh" reminds me of "Swish".

Pokemon SwiSh. Succinct, distinct, and fun to say; I like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Zuzie posted:

Well rodents are the largest family of mammals so it makes some sense that electric rodents are a successful lifeform in the Pokémon world.

I'm surprised that they haven't introduced a predator that specifically preys on electric rodents.

Maybe the reason electric rodents are so successful is because they have type advantage against the flying-type bird Pokemon that would otherwise predate on rodents?

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A lot of stuff with early Pokemon is best kept in mind with writers working with an unfinished setting and making some odd extrapolations from it, probably having never actually played the games.

You still get some of that these days, like apparently Mewtwo's attacks in Smash Ultimate are classified as 'fire'.

I haven't played Ultimate enough to really know, but I remember from Melee that Mewtwo's psychic attacks used a purple-tinted version of the fire particle effects, the same as some of Ganondorf's moves. I'd believe it if Mewtwo's attacks were enhanced by fire-enhancing spirits in the World of Light adventure mode, since there isn't a category for shadow-fire like what Mewtwo and Ganondorf use, but I don't think it's meant that Mewtwo literally attacks with fire.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Silver2195 posted:

Is it ever explained how Ash and friends get enough money to buy food, etc., in the anime, since the prize money thing doesn't even seem to exist in the anime? We see Team Rocket working odd jobs, borrowing money, and sometimes skipping meals, but the Twerps don't seem to worry about money. I guess Delia pays Ash's expenses and Norman pays May and Max's, and Pewter and Cerulean Gyms are profitable?

For that matter, what does Delia do for a living?

Ash's dad seems to be away but not estranged from the family or anything, unless I missed something, so I'd guess his line of work doesn't allow him to live at home, and sends home a paycheck every month.

I think Brock handed the gym over to his dad, and Misty ran her gym with her sisters, so their respective families have some kind of income or stipend as gym leaders, which is probably a public institution. Being an itinerant trainer also seems to be considered a natural part of someone's Pokemon career, so it's not like their families would be strongly opposed to them adventuring for a few years.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Zuzie posted:

I'd chalk it up to how Pokémon as a franchise was pre-world building. In Gen 1, it's implied that that the games takes place in the actual Kanto region of Japan, only with Pokémon instead of regular animals. Also the idea of a Pokémon League was a recent one.

To expand on this, I think the Pokemon world is meant to reflect Japan in the sense that it rapidly and recently modernized by a huge degree, which is why we get the juxtaposition of traditional, rural villages where charcoal-making is a respected profession a stone's throw away from huge, metropolitan cities.

Modern Pokemon training culture can only be as recent as the invention of the modern, mass-produced Pokeball, but there's also the sense that Pokemon training is an ancient, time-honored tradition. Since battling is a ubiquitous, traditional, and highly social form of recreation, the idea of a community having a top trainer as the person to beat who carries a lot of soft and hard power must also be very old and very widespread; the Pokemon League is therefore a modern institution for organizing and regulating the preexisting political power of these community leaders. That's how gym leaders have so much influence while still retaining a lot of freedom to do their own thing; the League must have laid down some basic requirements, gave them a title and a stipend, and otherwise let them do what works for them. Gym Leadership also seems like a part-time job, since most of them have another occupation besides; there's always a few towns where you have to go somewhere and talk to someone before the Gym Leader is in, and Giovanni is just gone for the whole day, so Gyms are probably not even expected to receive challengers 5 days a week. I guess if a Gym Leader abused their power, there'd be a complaint and then an audit and then a revocation of the title.

I think we also have to take it on good faith that Pokemon are willing to battle because they want to, because there's a few examples in the anime of Pokemon that disobey their trainers and refuse to battle because they weren't up to it. The ubiquity of Pokemon centers probably helps, too, since trainers are usually pretty prompt about getting their injured Pokemon healed, because they wouldn't have their Pokemon's trust and loyalty if they didn't.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I love how Bewear has adopted Team Rocket :3:

Bug lady made a huge mistake messing with Bewear's children.

Wait, is Bewear punching Pheromosa in the leg a reference to Jotaro's fight with DIO? Normally I wouldn't be so quick to assume, but after seeing G Gundam references earlier, the possibility can't be ruled out.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

A Sometimes Food posted:

I too prefer flying eel Eelektross.

And Cynthia. If anything they ship her and Cynthia more and Cynthia is.... uh how old is she? Definitely too old for Dawn but I forget if Cynthia is meant to be young or middle aged or what.

Considering Cynthia's a mature adult woman in an anime, I'd guess she's maybe 29 years old.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Noivern is a bird.

e: poo poo. well this is the worst time to find out that bats are mammals.
e2: wait, but it still lays egg since pokemon. is it a bird? are pokedogs birds??

Okay, to make things even weirder, Noivern and the other bats (Zubat, Swoobat, etc.) are exclusively in the Flying egg group with other bird Pokemon, but NOT the Field egg group that contains most mammals. So according to Game Freak, I guess you're technically sorta right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Silver2195 posted:

Speaking of Giovanni's team composition, I just noticed that he has a Marowak in B2/W2. Some pretty dark implications there (does it know Giovanni's underlings killed its mother?), although it was probably chosen just because it was a Kanto Ground-type.

On the other hand, a crime lord adopting a child he orphaned is genre-appropriate as heck for mob boss Giovanni. You can even read it positively as him making amends for his mistakes, or negatively as him grooming a loyal follower and extracting maximum :moreevil: from his crime business.