Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Blaze Dragon posted:

That warm bunny is losing is proof that people have questionable taste...is what I'd say but anxiety is also very good.

The sheer amount of fanart Roger Rabbit's gotten says otherwise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The Shortest Path posted:

I didn't really spend that much time with last gen, what was the deal with Ultra Beasts? A lot of people seem to dislike them quite a bit and they just seem like more weird legendaries a la Entei/Raikou/Suicune to me.

They embodied invasive species in the Pokemon world, which was a subtheme in Alola

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Iron Crowned posted:

Can someone explain to me the Pokeball Plus, and if I should get one?

It's a more natural controller that fits the catching mechanic a lot better, although the controls take a little getting used to
Not a necessity, but it's a nice addition, and it lets you take pokemon on the go if you want to relive the days of the PokeWalker

https://twitter.com/polyacryla/status/1101444463262494720

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/sifyro/status/1101360684766556160
https://twitter.com/sifyro/status/1101552838222770176

Here's hoping it's not a Dragonite scenario

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

indigi posted:

that third stage is too fearsome imo

No different than Dewott to Samurott

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/d4ggerfish/status/1100964742263435266

Nobody cares about Grookey or Scorbun's evos

I mean, I understand Grookey, since all he does is get a gun...

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Larryb posted:

Near as I can tell, it kicked their asses once during Jessie and James' first appearance (albeit with the help of several other Pikachu) so they came to the conclusion that it's abnormally strong and therefore worth stealing (and to be fair that's kind of true).

It didn't do jack - it was out of juice and a bike's lamp isn't going to generate enough juice to fry a fly

Then there's also the fact a stray spark ignited Koffing's gasses, which then nuked the center, a feat that the TRio mistakenly attributed to a single Pikachu and have been pursuing it ever since

Then the time they have Pikachu, because it's not with Ash, it's weak as a kitten, so bringing it to Giovanni wouldn't win them any favors, especially since there's a literal forest of them in the region of Kanto any old Rocket Grunt could go to and pick one up if he really wanted one

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Flopsy posted:

You're trying to apply logic to a show in which it has never truly existed.

It's a habit I've been trying to kick for 23 years

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Pentaro posted:

Today I learned that Levitate protects monsters from Ground type moves... even while they're underground after using Dig.
Vikavolt is a fountain of surprises.

People have been abusing that since Charizard was introduced

Made Flygon popular too

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Ada posted:

Joltik is no doubt the cutest bug type. Even Galvantula is cute.

Gen V was the first time I bothered to use a bug-type
They're good friends

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Mr. Nemo posted:

Im assuming this will double as a general pokemon thread for now?

In SM, does the Exp share reduces the amount of experience the main pokemon receives?

Does the experience the other ones change based on how many pokemons are in my party?

Get used to switching pokemon, because every pokemon that participates gets full exp while the Exp Share is active

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Mr. Nemo posted:

God, the last Dungeon has this tutorial that went on forever and a terrible (read: different from before) mechanic for recruiting. Had to put it down shortly after starting. Anyone know if it gets better? Reviews say that it doesn’t actually.

Super Mystery Dungeon had a twelve-hour tutorial, and by the end of it, you were still weak as a piece of paper and everything could slaughter you in seconds because haha this game doesn't let you grind between missions - they expect you to use and abuse the orbs, wands, seeds, and Looplets (I got a great set of Barrage, Super Critical, Intimidator and Berry Power)

Having your moves miss 90% of the time didn't help, and the story is the exact same as Gates, but with worse graphics, more pokemon, a little more dungeon variety and a killer soundtrack, so...it sorta evens out?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

less laughter posted:

why is there no fan art of the new Bug/Dragon yet, smh fan artists so slow

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Zuzie posted:

And people were apprehensive about Sun and Moon's artstyle...

Griping's since moved on to the absolute butchering of characterization, pacing, and (laughably) story

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The best part about Shiny Hunting in Let's Go is when a Shiny spawns as soon as you walk into a door

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

oddium posted:

black and white are fine they just have a weird boring story and awful sprite animations

I mean, yeah, but it still gave us:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The trick is to post the Gen II Beta 'mons and tout them as new pokemon

New Eeveelution looks rad

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The third pokemon movie was supposed to be about people discovering actual dinosaur bones and the like, and learning that pokemon were descended from actual animals

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Moriatti posted:

Are there details on this? That's wild.

Dogasu has the relevant information

Rampaging fossils did come back for the fifth movie though, although even that still got butchered in the dub by cutting out the entire opening intro that explains a few things about Alto Mare

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Nasgate posted:

I thought Pikachu and Ash taught him what love is or something in the first movie.

It's less "Power of love and friendship" and more "People aren't all assholes (even though they really kinda sorta are, especially in Shudo's grimdark fanfiction he accidentally turned into a multi-billion dollar franchise)"

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Funky Valentine posted:

James is secretly the greatest trainer in the anime.

Nothin' secret about it

He's far kinder to his pokemon than Ash ever was

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

dungeon cousin posted:

His Magikarp would like a word.

Thing that was swindled onto him by a conman rather than being befriended naturally

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Turning that poo poo off is the closest thing the games get to a hard mode.

I do like that you can tailor-make your own various challenges though

Nuzlocke, item budget, monotype, wonderlocke, etc...

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Bulbapedia also took 87 episodes to say that Stoudland actually died back in the 21st episode of the series when it reappeared in 108 as a spirit so...

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Such a pity it took them wasting Buzzwole, Xurkitree, Blacephalon, Stakataka, Poipole, Naganadel, Solgaleo, Lunala, and Necrozma to finally get the Ultra Beasts right

I forgive Celesteela because they actually treat its launch like a serious threat to the surrounding area because oh hey, rocket launches are in fact dangerous affairs

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Rudoku posted:

They did not waste Buzzwole at all. It was perfect.

The Snorlax Balloon bit was a little weird though

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Vapor Moon posted:

What's it say, I can't read Japanese

Pokemon's first official baby brand, because Pokemon's at that age where it's badgering its fans for grandchildren

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Zore posted:

That dudes like 20+ years older than her

gross

Steven's 25 in RSEORAS, 28 in HGSS, 33 in BW2

People ship Dawn with Cyrus, and he's 17 years older than she is

Shippers be whack, yo

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

A Sometimes Food posted:

I too prefer flying eel Eelektross.

And Cynthia. If anything they ship her and Cynthia more and Cynthia is.... uh how old is she? Definitely too old for Dawn but I forget if Cynthia is meant to be young or middle aged or what.

Old enough for her doppelganger in another universe to have a ten-year-old daughter, so unless they're going with the "once you're ten, you can get married and do all that adult crap like filing your taxes and taking out a fifth mortgage" she's somewhere in her late twenties/early thirties

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

From I Choose You, the 20th movie

Well, it's not explicitly confirmed that it's Cynthia, but there's a fair few similarities (hair and being from Sinnoh, mostly)

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Team Rocket's is bad since they're basically screaming the lyrics to their motto, whereas Skull actually had some skill with... what is that, Enka?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Silver Falcon posted:

Yeah, same. You're already translating the thing to English, thus acknowledging that your audience doesn't speak Japanese. Why leave the names in Japanese? It sticks out and it's lazy and also dumb.

I'm boring in that I like having the subtitles actually match what's being said

I hear Denjimushi, but see Charjabug and it irritates me far more than it has any right to

It's weird and irrational, but that's par for the course for anime fans

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Flopsy posted:

.......Vulgina

I love that the cries of Vullaby and Mandibuzz are "I'm loving sick of this" and "I'm a banana" respectively

And Palpitoad is a phone on vibrate

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Mraagvpeine posted:

How did you miss Champeon for Fighting?

Feels too easy, probably
(Some) People like being clever with their names

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Blandeon becomes the new meta and completely rewrites the competitive scene

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

BattleCattle posted:

I refuse to watch Any of this show, they keep calling them Pokemon, and not Pocket Monsters.

Monster Balls > Poke Balls

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Big Bad Beetleborg posted:

absol looks like he spent too long listening to the cure alone in his bedroom

Ow the Edge indeed

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

BattleCattle posted:

Huh, when I saw new posts, I just automatically assumed there were new things being said, my bad.

Lillie's getting a Megearna, Lana's getting a Kyogre, and everyone and their mother can enter the Alolan League without doing anything important like completing trials or having character development

The fandom's on fire and it's amazing

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Electric Phantasm posted:

Ash is going to win the Alolan League

I want him to win the League, then lose the title defense

Larryb posted:

He's certainty due for one at any rate (if I recall correctly the only tournaments he's ever won so far were the Orange Islands and Battle Frontier).

Neither of which are canon leagues and therefore open to be beaten by Ash, thankfully
Not like anything from them has stuck, but hey, it's nice to see SOME victories under his belt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

There was a brief period of my life where I thought the name of the yellow rodent that's been made the mascot was actually named "Pokemon"