Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Ash is still the main character of the Pokemon Anime? drat, how long does it take to become a Pokemon Master?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Ariong posted:

Oh god, Sobble becomes less cute as it evolves! Who could have seen this coming?

All I want is for it to not become a ninja

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I hope there's a morris dancer Pokemon

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

OK so here are my thoughts! I know everyone wants to hear them. I think Grookey, with his music theme and his stick, is going to turn into an orchestra conductor. His stick is OBVIOUSLY going to become a conductor's baton!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That monkey's hair stick is going to turn into a staff and we're gonna get (another) Sun Wukong, I'm sure of it.

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Nah he's got a music theme going on with his other names (groove-monkey in English) so he's probably going to become a drummer or something boring instead of my vastly superior idea.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Hey! If you think a punk rock drummer monkey is a worse idea than some snooty conductor monkey then.....actually, both of those monkeys sound pretty cool.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Monkey is the drummer, lizard is the guitarist, bunny is the singer.

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

What if stage 2 is a punk rock drummer monkey and stage 3 is a snooty conductor monkey or vice versa?

Xander B Coolridge posted:

I'm not ruling out a taiko-drumming gorilla a-la Donkey Konga as Grookey's third stage.

You're all wrong. It's Britain, it's musical, there's a stick. It's clear what direction Grookey's evolutions are gonna go

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Is it possible to play every generation of Pokemon on a 3DS? Or would you still need a GBA?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

cool, thanks

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I hope they do more regional variants of old Pokemon

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I started playing Pokemon Alpha Sapphire. First time I played a Pokemon since Pokemon Blue back in the day.

Why did they bother including three starters in this one? It's not like anybody would choose Torchic or the green one

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Silver Falcon posted:

Nobody smack talks my boy Torchic in my presence.

Torchic is cute, but I checked all their evolutions first and I don't even know what happens to Torchic. It turns into a worse chicken, and then some kinda terrible bootcut kung fu mess

Treecko starts bad and ends bad, but my boy Wooper is outstanding from start to finish

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

King of Solomon posted:

Treecko is cool and Grovyle is amazing. :colbert:

Sceptile isn't great, though, I agree.

Grovyle looks like it's gonna evolve into some kind of awesome grass/flying type Pokemon

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

My one real complaint with the current Pokemon lineup is that there isn't a third level of Eevee evolutions for every possible dual type. You should be able to use a fire stone on a Jolteon or a thunder stone on a Flareon and evolve it into a fire/lightning type, for example

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The first two gym leaders in Alpha Sapphire had two Pokemon each.

Kinda feel like they weren't really bring their A game

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Also, I met Archie and now I want to join Team Aqua

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Cattail Prophet posted:

This is why you should have gotten Omega Ruby instead, so you can team up with your cool pirate bros against the extremely face-punchable Team Magma.

The different versions have different stores? I thought the only difference was a couple Pokemon exclusive to each title

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

slugma

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Why is slugma not a bug type when slugs are clearly insects?

slugma balls

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I got a couple Alpha Sapphire questions

Is there anyway to always wear the contest outfit? I want my guy to match my Cosplay Pikachu

Does Alpha Sapphire have kinda crappy Pokemon? I'm three gyms in and so far I only really like half my team. Marshtomp, Loudred, and Cosplay Pikachu. And frankly Cosplay Pikachu is cheating. Are there more better Pokemon later on?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Makuhita is just Buu from Dragonball Z. They can't fool me.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Nanigans posted:

ORAS has Slakoth, Lotad, Ralts, Seedot, Shroomish, Taillow all in the starting area.

How can you be starved for good Pokémon?

Aron is in Dewford Cave too, right?

The only one of those I've actually encountered in the wild is Tailow. I've seen the others used by different trainers, but I've never had a chance to capture any of them

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I saw a Nincada once, but accidentally KO'd it before I could catch it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I swear to god, I am not exaggerating when I say that half the wild pokemon I've encountered have been Zigzagoons

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Nanigans posted:

Do you just...not walk in the grass? Like, even Wurmple are all over the area before the first gym.

Dewford has Zubat, Machop, Geodude and Abra too, I believe.

I walk in the grass so much. I've KO'd multiple Pokemon I wanted to catch because my guys are so overpowered from fighting Zigzagoons and, yes, Wurmples. But significantly fewer Wurmples than Zigzagoons. I need to turn off EXP share just to stop leveling up the low level Pokemon I keep to catch wild Pokemon from being over leveled by the time I see a new Pokemon I haven't caught. I've seen some Geodudes and I saw an Abra once but it ran away. No Zubats or Machops.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Flopsy posted:

Better pokemon tend to show up on later routes. Also you'll get a Latias guaranteed later on and that's a heavy hitter right there. What are you looking for in your pokemon exactly? Tankiness? Move variety? Special/physical attack? Gimme something to work with here.

I like Pokemon that have good designs that I like

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Flopsy posted:

What are you looking for in your pokemon exactly? Tankiness?

Actually, yeah if there are any Tankie pokemon I would like to know about that

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Flopsy posted:

Aight. Here's a list of meat tanks to choose from. Aggron, Metagross, Salamance, Hariyama, Milotic, Walrein, Slaking, and Flygon ain't bad with an assault vest. You can check for yourself the stats on these guys and see if they're to your liking.

drat, I didn't know there were that many Pokemon who believed that Hungary was an integral part of the Soviet Union

edit: I'm sorry Flopsy, you were genuinely trying to be helpful and I just used it as a setup for a dumb joke

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Apr 17, 2019

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

holy poo poo this game has a dash button

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I know that when the Alpha Sapphire protagonist challenges his dad's gym and defeats him it's supposed to be really emotional and all, and it was, but not in the way I think they wanted. His dad is an rear end in a top hat. He trains all his students to use items, and his team has two slakings. He's the most obnoxious Pokemon trainer ever. Afterwards it's like the kid is all grown up now, and yeah, yeah he is.

It's like that Kids in the Hall sketch where the kid can only become a man after seeing his dad get pathetically drunk in a field

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Manectric is the ugliest Pokemon I've ever seen

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I actually like Mega Manectric. Regular Manectric is a disaster.

Also, why did a weatherman give me a ghost with boobs? Even the other people in the scene act like it's weird that he's giving me a Pokemon at all, and after seeing what he gave me I'm thinking that he just wanted this loving thing out of his office so people would stop saying stuff about him for having a boob ghost Pokemon.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

does mega evolving actually do anything beyond making Pokemon look cooler? Do they get stronger when they do it? If so, is there ever a reason not to do it?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Zuzie posted:

I'm kind of surprised that the only alternate forms of a Pokémon that they haven't included in later generations was the Spiky-ear Pichu in Gen 4 (specifically Heart Gold and Soul Silver) and the Contest Pikachu in Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire.

Although considering how popular Pikachu Libre is, it wouldn't be surprised if it somehow shows up in Sword and Shield.

Will I not be able to transfer my Cosplay Pikachu from Alpha Sapphire to X or Moon?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

BlazetheInferno posted:

You can't even put 'em in Pokemon Bank.

man, gently caress this game

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I don't know how Pokemon contest works and i refuse to put energy into learning. I'm not googling what moves are tough and what order they need to be in to get the most toughness out of the audience or whatever. If they wanted to make a Pokemon beauty contest thing, great, make that a spinoff game. Give it's own mechanics that make sense. Eeverybody would love a Pokemon grooming and dressup game. Cobbling together this nonsense minigame using the existing battle mechanics is terrible. I won't do it again. That audience wouldn't know a good Pikachu if it killed them with electricity.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Every video game would be improved if it featured a mountain that had been hollowed out to be used as a giant multi-level graveyard

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I know that Pokemon is a game for small children, so I'm not gonna say that it's weird that the world has apparently accepted that the point man on stopping a terrorist organization from summoning an ancient god to sink the land below the waves is a 12 year old boy. That's fine.

I do think it's weird that despite that, everybody is still like, "I hope you're having fun on your Pokemon adventure! You should challenge our local gym leader, he's real strong!"

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Boy, the Galar Museum sure has a lot of exhibits from other regions...

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I gotta teach too many drat moves to my Pokemon just to be able to get around the world. I've already taught my Swampert surf and dive, I don't want to have to teach him waterfall too. That's three of his four move slots taken up just for stuff to get around the world! And my Latias has fly and my Exploud has strength and rock break, I have to load up all my favorites with this crap!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I was somewhat confused when the game sent me to the final fight when I'd only beat 7 of the 8 gyms. But then I beat the ancient god destroying the word and the credits didn't roll. And people were like, you did a great job, but you still have a gym left, and then four more dudes to fight!

And I realized that the whole story with the terrorists unleashing a legendary monster to destroy the world was a subplot. The actual plot of the game is me being the best at Pokemon fighting.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Detective No. 27 posted:

I always figured they were like "Listen, we can't change the rules just because you defeated the mafia, saved the world, and captured literal God in a Premiere Ball. You still gotta get that eighth badge, kid."

Not only do they not consider bending the rules to declare you a master trainer early or something, it never occurs to anyone that maybe what you did should change the course of your Pokemon journey and your entire life. They're thankful that you saved the world, but they don't really treat the situation with the gravity you'd expect from people who saw the world almost get destroyed by a biblical deluge

I'm just imaging the Alpha Sapphire protagonist in middle school, talking with his classmates about what they did in their gap year (gap years in the Pokemon universe being between elementary school and middle school and entirely dedicated to Pokemon, of course). One says "I met this boy and we traveled together and he gave me my first kiss!" another says "I got part time jobs at the Pokemon Centers and that's why I want to be a vet!" and the AS guy says "I killed a god and saved the world. Remember that horrible storm that devastated the world a few weeks ago? I stopped it" and they're all treated with equal weight and importance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I did it, I beat Pokemon Alpha Sapphire. That elite four/champion sequence was awesome, and I really liked the final little fight with May. That was a nice way to end the game.

I wasn't crazy about the weird sequel tease at the end. Watching the meteor shower with May was such a nice moment to end on, but they kinda ruined it by reminding you of your dysfunctional home life just to get you interested in the next game. Also, why do you need to buy tickets to see a meteor shower?

That quibble aside, I really liked the game. As I said, I hadn't played a Pokemon since I was a small child with Pokemon Blue on the Gameboy, but I am back on the Pokemon train now