Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I didn't pick Sword/Shield up at launch despite really liking a lot of the designs and the idea of a UK region because of the Dex cuts and inability to turn EXP ALL off and a lot of all the usual stuff but I decided that maybe a Pokemon game was what I needed to try and chill out while super stressed about the whole global pandemic thing over the last couple months and picked up Sword and played like fifty hours in a week or two and I mostly really enjoyed my time with it

There's a lot of things I could grouse about. I really fell out of love with the game around the time of Spikemuth once the city was literally a straight line with a single Mart building where it was like "...where did you guys go? Where's the game design gone??" I had to rotate between about three or four different teams worth of Mons to keep from being overlevelled which was both a boon and a bother since it meant I could never get too attached to any particular buddy which kinda blowed but also meant I spent more time with a greater variety of the newbies and also left my levels below the AI trainers which gave the game a bit more challenge.

The wild area is a cool concept but I really needed more variety in the Pokemon that were actually visible in the overworld to really feel it reach its potential. There were so many of the same Pokemon just appearing over and over with the need of weather effects or going into the grass patches to find something different that it made it feel like a lot of time it wasn't really worth going back out there because I knew exactly what I was going to see.

While the post game story wasn't particularly long or hard I really enjoyed the concept of going back around spending a bit more time with the Gym Leaders and fighting alongside them and it really brought me back around on the game after the funk the end of the Gym challenge put me into about it

In conclusion, Pokemon Sw/Sh is a land of contrasts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
The copy of Let's Go I borrowed off my brother and played was Eevee so it's nice to get some chonky Pikachus for myself. Also cool that they have Surf, I suppose, since they never let us transfer the ones with that kind of stuff from the Poke Walker forward through gens. Gosh I loved the Poke Walker.

Will also be cool to get a stretch Meowth I guess.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

RatHat posted:

Pikachu can just learn Surf by default in this gen. These Pikachus can be HA and have Volt tackle though.

Oh, cool, that's neat.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I've been reading the X*Y arc of Pokemon Adventures over the last week or so and it is so, so good.

I love that they utilise the three other friends by having the five kids actually travelling together, I love that they flimsily try to include the fact that character customisation was introduced in these games by having Y be like "I bought all these new clothes for us to use as disguises while we're on the run!" even though she's immediately shot down by the others, I love that even though the adults are still completely oblivious to Lysandre being the Most Obvious Villain in the World the kids figure it out as soon as they meet him and the giant dork Sycamore has to be like "I was such a giant idiot dork, you guys!," I love that Zygarde is actually being tied into the plot by having Blue show up and be like "oh yeah, when something like this happened in Hoenn there was a third legendary that acted as a negating force, so I've come to investigate that" and then it showing up instead of it just sitting there in Pokemon Village or whatever the go was in the games

and I love just all the cute little Pokemon action and details you get in these comics that I'd kind of forgotten about

i've got six chapters left so I guess it might foul it up in the ending but this has been really good and made me feel a lot more fondly about gen 6 (where my previous feelings were basically "yeah, this was fine" and then basically moving on not long after finishing the story).

also got me feeling the obligatory "bring back things like Mega Absol as actual evolutions, Game Freak." i need my Fabsol

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

What this would mean re: Eviolite/held items for the evos though... :stonklol:

obviously some of them would have to be cut (mostly the ones that would wind up as fourth stages) and you'd have to rebalance others, but there's no reason a bunch of them couldn't be reincorporated in as actual Pokemon if they never plan on bringing Mega Evolution back

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
AHHHH it's Blaine!! I guess I probably could've guessed that he'd show up here since you can catch that Pokemon in the cave in Pokemon Village, I just wasn't really thinking about it I guess.

The Golden Gael posted:

Back around to the point, they've spent a lot of time building up the branding of Mega Pokemon as their own thing. Mega Stones as a mechanic are inextricably bound to the Mega Evolution, like we see in Pokemon Let's Go where you still need the right rock to make your Pokemon go super. To make them into regular evolutions would invalidate all the money they've put into the lore and branding of Megas. And just look at how they put out an entire video celebrating the return of them in Sun and Moon!

Plus they've got them in their back pocket as a thing to joyously announce the return of, like the day-night cycle. If they do a remake in Sinnoh, for instance, they have an easy point of entry in the lore to have the Megas return. After all, Professor Rowan is really into evolution.

Fair enough point. It's not even that I particularly dislike Mega Evolution, I enjoyed it enough as a mechanic when I played through the gen 6 campaign and it's used well in this Pokemon Adventure comics, it's just that with it abandoned in the current games I really miss my Fabsol and feel like Pokemon like Pinsir, Heracross, Mawile, and Sableye deserve evolutions and their Mega designs are already most of the way there and would just need rejiggering for balance to work as real Pokemon.

You're right that they'll keep it in their back pocket to be like "look what we're bringing back!!" though.

Blaze Dragon posted:

It doesn't. XY is a great arc from the beginning to the end. It's one of my favourites, behind RS.

Yeah, I've just finished it now. What a heckin' good Pokemon story.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
everyone knows lightyears are a measure of time in the Pokemon world anyway

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Procrastine posted:

Galarian Zapdos is Fighting/Flying and has Defiant.

Lmao, that ability just gives it even bigger Crazy Chocobo energy.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Blaze Dragon posted:

This is the cutest thing Pokemon has done in a long while and I hope we get more like it because I just have the biggest grin on my face now, this is so, so good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u909_O6CqYc

I;m thinking about thos beans

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I do have one question before I start. Is there a setting to turn on or off (exp share?) or something to do or not do so that I don’t just steamroll the game? I feel like in Let’s Go, I just walked all over everyone and it was a little boring after a while.

I know it’s a Pokémon game and it will never be crazy difficult but I just don’t want to be death incarnate right away

Nope, they've removed the option to turn off the EXP Share/All/Whatever.

I personally rotated through like three teams of Pokemon until towards the end to keep myself from getting overlevelled and found there to be a little bit of challenge to some of the Gym fights in that way, and it was nice to be able to experience more of the new Pokemon that way, but it also meant that they didn't feel as much like "my guys" until the end.

I did find myself enjoying the game more than I expected by doing it that way

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
don't be silly, there's tons and tons of story and in depth character exploration in the game, it's all just happening over there slightly off screen

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
it's finally time for Pokemon Pinball 3

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
i'd consider buying a Labo VR kit if they announced compatibility for that in New Pokemon Snap.

i probably wouldn't actually do it, since my brother already has one so i can just borrow that, but i'd consider it

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

What's this in the background of the direct? Espeon? Umbreon? A switch logo.

Calling it right now, next week's announcement will not be the D/P remakes, nor a new Let's Go Game, but rather a remake of the greatest pokemon game ever: Pokemon Coliseum.

Get ready for HD Mirror B bois

We don't get such nice things in this timeline

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Blaze Dragon posted:

We literally got Snap 2 today.

Pokemon Snap is no Mirror B. theme, tho

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Let's Go Scizor and gently caress Off Pinsir You Don't Get poo poo

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Kurieg posted:

https://twitter.com/DrLavaYT/status/1281279449686777857
I think we're due for a thread title change.

Also don't click that youtube link. Just don't.

:chast2b:

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Prythian posted:

Mystery Gift is an option only in the phone version of Home.

oh, that's why i couldn't figure out how to get one, i only booted up the Switch app

that whole thing is such a mess lmao

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

mabels big day posted:

dunno if anyone in here plays Pokemon Masters but despite being bottom barrel gacha trash, it has really really good battle music remixes, especially in the newest update

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0X3_OiNBDY

They just added an elite 4 battle mode and gave each of the members their own remix of the Kanto elite 4 battle music which is kinda nuts

I especially like Bruno's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghG6Y1338Ho

Honestly the entire soundtrack for the game is amazing

man, these go hard

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

funmanguy posted:

I’ve got a Pokémon itch, my son who is 11 says all the youtubers are mean to sword and shield. Should I buy the game?

they've got a bunch of problems and the campaign kind of falls apart towards the end but if you haven't played a Pokemon game in ages you'll probably really enjoy it. it can be fun and has a lot of cute little friends in it and there are some nice, twee touches to the whole PokéUK thing

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Intended for one of those moments where the adults take care of things just screen of the player, I suppose

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Nodosaur posted:

HGSS lucked out because the most meaningful addition was effectively a prolonged sidequest, and they didn't have to deal with changes like a condensation of the plot or a reworking of Pokemon distribution.

they probably should've reworked Pokemon distribution and the messed up level curve in those, anyway. you don't have to draw directly from an existing third version to improve on the original works in a remake, you can just make them better on your own initiative

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Diet Poison posted:

I wonder if GF thinks they're "fleshing out the worldbuilding" by introducing a bunch of poo poo that never actually meaningfully exists in game. I want to challenge the minor league gyms. I want that to be what you do before some kind of minor league E4, after which you get to do the Real Gyms, where they use a variety of formats (3 on 3 singles, 4 on 4 doubles, 6 on 6 singles, 6 on 6 triples, etc) where everybody's set to lv 50 the way god intended.

i remember before the game came out when Ohmori first mentioned the minor league gyms to a magazine and people were like "oh, that sounds like it could be really cool for the setting and make for a more substantial campaign" and The Pokemon Company had to come out and slap it down with the quickness

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
the elemental punches always made more sense as special attacks to me anyway, since i figured their power came more from the fire/ice/electricity that you were charging your fist with more than the actual physical strength behind the punch. that's one they got wrong imo

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

RatHat posted:

Buuuut you need to be level 40 to transfer.

lmao rip me. i only play it super casually (and only started having it open regularly while walking like a month ago since i live in the middle of nowhere) so i'm only like level 18? i think. guess the shiny Duskull i caught the other week will be living in go forever

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

RatHat posted:

Read the next sentence

i saw that yeah, i know it's not literally forever, i'll probably have just stopped caring and forgotten by the time it rolls out to me lol

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Flopsy posted:

Why not just release the code on the website??

~engagement~

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Blaze Dragon posted:

(XY especially is worth a read, taking the absolute barebones game that was XY and making a very heavy impact story out of it, with an ending that's weirdly bittersweet for this series and a Team Flare that's significantly more threatening).

yeah, XY is the most recent one i've read and really enjoyed it

Zuzie posted:

The Adventures manga is also saddled with having to follow all these Pokedex holders and constantly have to age them up but are unable to write them out completely. I'm not too familiar with it though. I mean fans give the anime hell for bitching about why Ash doesn't age but it at least avoids the issues Adventures has to face.

XY is entirely standalone, until a couple of early characters show up for a bit and i completely marked out when that happened

i don't know how returning characters are used in everything between GSC and that since i've only read RBY, XY, and finally started GSC the last couple of days but when it's used like that example i really appreciate the continuity

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Lmao, the edit on That Panel with Crys and her mum is so goofy. Like, I get why they would change that, I don't find doing so objectionable, but it just stood right out as "they obviously cut a hit out here, right?"

I love how the artist draws Surge's Raichu

ApplesandOranges posted:

RS is pretty much standalone, but everyone comes back for the Emerald section (note that it goes Ruby/Sapphire > FRLG > Emerald in terms of timeline). I think DPPt is pretty much standalone?

Honestly each saga is fairly good at letting the new crew do their own thing, there might be an allusion here and there to old stuff but usually the old Pokedex holders stay out of it until the remakes or the 'third' game part of the generation.

Ah, okay, sounds like I more or less would have expected

Like, with XY, even though they never got a third game the returning characters in the manga only show up once the story starts looking at Zygarde related stuff and that sorta thing

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
i don't want Diamond and Pearl remakes because them being old enough to be remade is a crushing reminder of the inexorable march of time

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I definitely played Heart Gold at the time and was all in on stuff like the Poke Walker but don't remember that Safari Zone poo poo at all :stonk:

Flopsy posted:

Sister I've been playing this series for 24 years straight. Get in the senior van with me and I'll fire us up some margaritas and 90's dance music.

I guess D/P in particular just hit kind of hard since their original release was the first Pokemon game that came out when I was an adult

Cue up that La Bouche

Homora Gaykemi fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Feb 22, 2021

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Looking forward to more info on Pokemon Sleep

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Josuke Higashikata posted:

A reliable leaker, person who leaked Direct last week (and very descriptive Blizzcon things) says today's announcement is

Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl, chibi 3D style with SWSH style battles developed by a third party and an open world feudal (tends to mean samurai) sinnoh RPG by GF in early 22. https://www.reddit.com/user/PracticalBrush12/comments/lsssby/stroke_%C3%A9_man/

that sounds... good? definitely interested to wake up in the morning and see how these look if real given this poo poo is on at like 2 in the morning here and i'm an old who doesn't stay up that late anymore

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

wot
Wat
WHat

dang that looks good

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
i love Sinnoh, ya'll. Pokemon is good. Cynthiaforever

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
i don't mind how BD/SP look in motion but there's nothing in that reveal that makes me think i should buy it instead of just playing the copy of Platinum i've owned forever but never got very far in since i was still kinda burnt out from all the Diamond and Pearl i'd played at that point'

definitely interested to see more of Legends tho

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
i wanna play a Project Diva game starring Elesa now

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Augus posted:

gen 1 squirtle I luv u

Such a good boy

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Imagined posted:

I mainly just have a hard time imagining any version of Pokemon Snap that could possibly feel like a $60 game.

the original Pokemon Snap was definitely something that made more sense as a nice rental than a full purchase (not that rentals are a thing these days), but i feel like i can't have spent fifteen years saying "they should make a new Pokemon Snap" and then not buy it when they make New Pokemon Snap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Silver2195 posted:

I wonder what Unown's moveset will be when it presumably returns in Shining Diamond/Brilliant Pearl. I assume the removal of Hidden Power in SwSh was intended to be permanent. Will they finally get the unique moves for each form that the Unown Report and the TCG suggest they ought to have (Anger, Bear, Chase, etc.)? Will Hidden Power return after all, but with different mechanics? Or will they just take the lazy way out and give Unown Extrasensory?

they'll add Hidden Power back to SD/BP but make them incompatible with SwSh