Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
So, I haven’t really followed Sw/Sh updates at all. Have they said whether bottlecapped pokes will keep their perfect IVs between gens? Will they be marked somehow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I threw this out a few pages ago, but didn't see an answer.

Any details on how bottlecapped stats will work outside the gen 7 games? Do pokemon keep their perfect IVs? Are IVs even going to be A Thing in gen 8 from how it is sounding?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
So, with all the cut mons and moves, we still don’t know how previous gen transfers are going to work, do we?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Scorbunny owns and is the best starter

I know this probably isn’t intended, but I love the loose Burger King feet lettuce implication here.

Also, I’m kind of sad SwSh is apparent poo poo. I just got a Switch for my birthday with the expectation this would be the main reason.

I slightly happier news, I’ve been replaying Black and plan on restarting Black 2 after finishing the post game and it has been super fun. It really is the best generation. (I just wish the encounter rate wasn’t so drat high. Gotta keep those repels stocked.)

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

RatHat posted:

Know who also gets Close combat?

Aegislash.

*spitscoffeeeverywhere*

Excuse me, what!?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Dpulex posted:

Making a nuzlocke mode in the game doesnt seem impossible. If all they did was add optional permadeath it would be something to add tension.

Because what I want Pokemon to become is Fire Emblem.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Just beat the game. About to go into the post-game (which from all accounts is pretty minimal?), and a few random thoughts:
1. The new pokes are pretty awesome overall. I rocked Coalossal the whole game, and it was a goddamn tank. It was too annoyingly slow and lacked the raw damage (until it got Heat Crash) to be useful running routes, but it was my MVP against pretty much every gym. Toxtricity and Grimmsnarl lines are baller. I just wish the mutant dino fossil amalgamations were a bit more useful. I tried to make Dracovish work for the entire second half of the game, but it just never got there for me. The only old poke I used was Hitmonlee just because I happened to catch an adamant Tyroge early on and it has absurd stats for mid and late game.

2. I didn't switch out my team almost at all (which is odd both from how the game is designed and for me in general).

3. The antagonists basically didn't exist, and I agree with what someone posted above that it would've worked better as a straight tournament arc without a "fate-of-the-world" threat hook. Bede was funny for how unmitigatingly assholish he was, but what was the point? Not that I expect much depth to pokemon antagonists, but his fear of rejection/superiority complex from being an abandoned kid adopted by Steve Jobs just gave me whiplash from being so backloaded. Hop was a fun rival, and I liked how he was still willing to talk poo poo after being humbled by Bede and a couple gyms midgame. Marine was a cute psuedo-tsundere, but Team Yell continuing the SuMo trend of gruff but well-meaning ruffians didn't quite work for me. Just the concept of an antag team based around football hooligans is still hilarious, though.

4. This next part is kind of hard to put into words. But it felt like the game was lampshading itself with how much the adult characters kept patronizing you throughout the game. Don't worry about the threat over there. Just focus on the tournament. There are things adults have to take care of. Don't think about it. It is almost as if they know the entire gym challenge is kind of a thing kids do. There are a bunch of adults were aren't still part of the championship league who admit they did (and completed) the gym challenge when they were a kid, but you know...better things to do. Leon is treated as just a charismatic symbol for the masses who is kind of a bumbling mess outside of being a good pokemon trainer. Raihan is just a selfie obsessed showboat during his battles. All the gym leaders admit they don't take the challengers seriously unless they make it to the final round.

I know some of that is due to game mechanics and there are characters in previous gens who follow similar patterns. But I just don't remember them being so blatant about it.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Oleana's signature pokemone being literal garbage isn't some show don't tell thing. They spent the entire game saying she's super devoted and focused to Chairman Rose, who looks like every awful middle aged guy on twitter DMing girls with "AH You're so tiny". We already know she loves trash. Another goddess of a woman devoted to just the worst.

Which is hilariously sad when she dumps Bede like a sack of rocks knowing that both of them are charity cases Rose decided to invest into.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

GotDonuts posted:

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions for someone who is newish to pokemon (Stopped at gen 1) and looking to actually make some progress in the battle tower. My hodgepodge team of my starter and random cool looking mons aren't exactly making progress. Suggestions for a team to build for this would be awesome, or at least some ideas on where to begin.

I just blew through 10 ranks using the Tough rental team. The Mimikyu on it is a goddamn house.
First turn Sword Dance.
Second turn dynamax and just spam the relevant attack until your opponents die.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Epic High Five posted:

is there a clear winner between Gardevoir and Hatterene? I went with the latter because it's new and I like the design, but this is also my first game since red/blue so I've never actually ever used Gardevoir in a game

stat-wise it looks like a wash

Gardevoir is way better from a pure gameplay perspective.

Hatterene has a better hidden ability, but Gardevoir's over twice as fast with similar defenses and only slightly worse offense. And while Magic Bounce is broken, Trace can be pretty good too in the single player campaign.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Who needs breeding when max raids are just making GBS threads out 5iv and 6iv max Dyna pokes? I just got straight perfect Avalugg and Butterfree today.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
How is everyone EV training? From what it looks like, the easiest way is to send them to school for a stat for a whole day with the relevant power item. That should max out that stat after 24 hours, right? I guess it is theoretically less work that grinding wild pokes for 20 minutes in US/UM per trainee.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Xander B Coolridge posted:

Buying the medicines is far easier once you've made decent money in game

Did they remove the 100 EV cap for steroid training?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Dafuq, really? Yeah, ok. Steroids, it is.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Blaziken386 posted:

Is anyone else annoyed by the game dumping 18 silvally memories in your "held item" inventory when, in the VERY SAME GAME, they gave you a catalogue for Rotom?

Does anyone even use silvally? sure, it's got decent stats, but it's ugly as sin and is too much of a jack of all trades to bother with.

Type: Null with Eviolite is a loving tank.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
After reading the last few pages, I consider myself kind of lucky that I got an Adamant Dracovish (with perfect Spd + Atk I come to find later) during my regular playthrough. The big issue is finding enough Qualot berries to dump it's Def EVs. (I had enough for the other dump stats.) I have like 20 of every EV reducing berry except Qualot. >_>

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Once you have the purple beam if it's not what you want:
1. Start the raid / look for other people (you can be in local wireless / not online for this)
2. Go to system settings, change the date 1 day forward.
3. In-game, leave/cancel the raid
4. Check the den again, you'll get 2k watts and another raid.
5. Repeat the process of start raid search / change date / leave until you get what you want

I haven't tested it myself but I believe once you trigger the raid you want you can actually go back to current time and it'll stay. Only moving forward changes the raid. (in case you don't want something caught in the future)

I'm doing this and it resets the wattage, but the purple beam moves (often all the way across the map). >_>

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Ok, yeah. It was the random spawning beam. Didn't even know purple beams spawned from wishing pieces.

Edit: I did just out that moving the clock and changing it back resets the berry trees, too. So, I can continue to farm Qualots. :v:

Edit: Ok, strike that. I'm wrong.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Dec 8, 2019

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I just lucked into a 5IV HA G-max Kingler while trying the Wishing Piece trick. :w00t:

Sheer Force is broke as gently caress @LifeOrb, so what do I throw on this guy?
Liquidation
Body Slam
Superpower
Rock Slide???

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Dec 8, 2019

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Jesus. How many months are you guys advancing your clock to get your purple beams to poo poo out rare stuff? I've been resetting for this Skyscraper Dragon for two months now. >_>

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Finally got the loving Skyscraper. Only took 7 months. And of course is has a neutral nature. >_>

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Counterpoint to Dynamaxing being not a big competetive strategy: giving a weak pokemon a ton more health so they can get off a Shell Smash or Quiver Dance safely can be a really big deal and lead to wild sweeps

Except you can’t shell smash or quiver dance while dynamaxed. :v:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
It's great being 5 months into this max raid reset and knowing that you could've had a full team of the second rarest poke in the den without seeing the rarest one at all.

How the hell did they expect people to get any of these g-max pokes without using an exploit?

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Dec 11, 2019

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

I hope to one day do something exciting enough to warrant Marnie's theme playing in the background

Marnie’s theme is pretty baller. It is what I have playing while running Battle Tower.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Random stream of consciousness post re: Sw/Sh.

1. Kabu is the most Japanese middle-aged/old guy working out ever.
2. Leon still wearing his champion cape and shirt in the rematch arena is a dumb oversight, especially since he wears the ringleader uniform in BT.
3. I'm kind of mad they didn't do anything with the rock formations outside the grass gym.
4. They need to do a game where you aren't playing as a new, unnamed character. I don't care about self-insert crap. Give me something like Persona 2. It isn't like you still can't do dress up with the character models.
5. Raihan's clothing make it look like he has a beer gut, which is hilarious when you consider he's the most self-image obsessed gym leader.

Eddie Whitson posted:

I like that they did this in the Sun & Moon anime. Golisopod Throat Chopped Primarina and absolutely destroyed her.

Just looked this up. That was....pretty brutal. But loving lol was everyone super off model in that scene.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Dec 12, 2019

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

ungulateman posted:

sun and moon didn't give a poo poo about model fidelity and honestly? good. animation and especially anime are way too beholden to being 'on model' at the cost of actually looking good or doing interesting things with their characters. defeats the purpose of being animated imo

There's a huge difference in being off-model to illustrate action, provide a sense of power to a scene, or if it the artistic style (see Ping Pong or the Ushiwakamaru vs Gorgon fight in FGO); and being off-model because of sloppy production. I mean, the picture I posted was a panning still shot for christ sakes.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Is there an agreed set up for getting qmaster rank doubles at BT or is it still “press FISH to win”?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
The most hilariously cute thing in this game is dynamaxed Mimikyu having its disguise busted. The camera zooms in on this giant glowing Mimikyu, and its head just flops to the side using the same plook-blook sound. And on top of that, they give the head flop the 10% slowdown they give all dynamaxed movement but don’t pitch the sound effect down, so none of it matches up at all.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
So, what's the easiest way to get Roost onto a G-max Corviknight? I haven't had to do any complex breeding this gen since it shits out so many high IV pokes straight out of dens.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

AlternateNu posted:

So, what's the easiest way to get Roost onto a G-max Corviknight? I haven't had to do any complex breeding this gen since it shits out so many high IV pokes straight out of dens.

A couple other random questions:
-Anyone found any use for Eject Pack? It seems like a great item for a glass cannon that can blast out Overheat/Draco Meteor/Superpower and dip out real quick. Probably more useful than White Herb?
-Do Absorb Bulb/Cell Battery actually absorb their respective attacks and give the boost? Or do you still take full damage and just hope your guy survives?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

ROFL Octopus posted:

They did things backwards and made regular dynamax moves better. Dynamax charizard sets up weather while gigantamax zard merely sets up fire spin.

What they should have done was have specific signature moves become the G-max move for G-max pokemon. Like Flamethrower for Charizard or Bug Buzz for Butterfree. Then you could run them both for added flexibility.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
It is easier with raid battles at least because you can always save outside the den when you see a poke you want to fashion ball. Yeah, you have to go through the battle again, but the option is there.

The only thing I’m trying for this gen is training up all the G-max mons and maybe the half dozen other new ones that caught my eye.

That said, I’ll eventually need a kind goon to trade me G-max Machamp and Coalossal.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
gently caress. I thought all G-max mons had the hidden ability. Just ground out a Hatterene, and it has loving Anticipate. :(

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Battle improvements I would like to see:
1. Multi-hit moves can remove multiple shields.
2. Hits must deal X% raid boss' HP to actually remove a shield. (Yes, I know this makes it harder.)
3. Sturdy cut-offs for raid bosses merely add the 90% damage reduction that a shield would from that point instead of being a full stop.
3. Dynamaxing allows you to utilize either the move as learned OR the element's Max form like raid bosses can.
4. G-Max moves only replace specific, signature moves in a G-max mon's moveset. Otherwise, you get the normal Max form.
5. Battle animation skipping also skips/shortcuts dynamaxing animation.
6. You can dynamax at any turn during a raid instead of waiting for the "max energy" to cycle back to you if no one has dynamaxed yet. Players would get priority based on turn order if multiple people choose to dynamax simultaneously.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I've got a box full of 4-5IV Modest HA Snom's if anyone wants them. They're going to be my Christmas dispersal on Wednesday. :v:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

CubeTheory posted:

They call me GK. Grind King. And I'm here to say...

:siren::siren::siren:MERRY CHRISTMAS:siren::siren::siren:

As a special Christmas treat for all of the wonderful goons in the thread, for the rest of the evening I will be hosting SHINY GMAX PRANKSTER GRIMMSNARL raids on the discord!

Come hang with us on Discord in the #hairdevils channel and get yours!

(Unless I mess up and break the raid somehow oh god I'm pretty nervous)

CubeTheory is a gentleman among goons. I was able to snag a couple extras and spread the joy! +MaxFashion Premier Ball hype. :c00l:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

The Golux posted:

I would gladly trade one of my better HA Jolly Darumakas for one of those tomorrow

Leraika posted:

I'd love one, if you don't mind.

For any goons who want the HA Snom-y goodness, I will be in the pokegoon discord tomorrow morning (Dec 24th) from 8am-11am ET. Hit me up there.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Mimikyu get's Wood Hammer as a level 0 move? How have I not noticed that before? loving lol.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
:siren: MERRY SNOM-MAS EVE! :siren:

I got a box of 5IV Modest Ice Scales :siren: S N O M :siren: and want to spread some joy during the holidays! For any goons looking to get their hands on one, head over to the pokegoons discord and shoot me a message. I'll be on until 11am EST!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I just broke past 100 wins in BT, and just ran into my first rando who can dynamax.

I.....didn't know that was a thing. >_>