Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

So "Sw" and "Sh" are the abbreviations that people have decided upon.

"SwSh" reminds me of "Swish".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Man I'm going to miss Sun and Moon's dynamic when it invariably switches back to the older format for the Sword and Shield anime.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Blaze Dragon posted:

AZ's Floette is stuck in non-existence officially though. It's an event that we never got and will never get.

It kind of sucks, honestly. That's a good-looking Floette.

Is this how AZ felt?

Strangely it's still in the coding and even has a unique Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon Pokédex entry.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1101235362003857413

Who among you got interviewed here?

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Since most Water types seem to need lots of water to survive, I don't think using Water types to store water is very practical.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Hardcore English dub fans would probably pass up on the movie because it doesn't have the original voice cast in it.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

You'd be surprised at the number of people who want Veronica Taylor, Rachel Lillis and Eric Stuart back despite it now being almost 13 years since they last voiced the characters.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

The new voice crew is also good. Everyone they switch is jarring for a while but then after a few episodes sounds normal. The only way you really notice is skipping around between seasons.

It also helps that virtually all the cast has changed apart from Ash and Team Rocket, which is like 5 characters out of hundreds.

Really the only character who still sounds a bit strange is Misty and that's due to the fact that the character herself largely left the series only a few episodes before the big VA switch up. We've only had recordings of Rachel Lillis as Misty until the Sun and Moon arc where Ash and his class visited Kanto.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Catalina posted:

Making charts like this is pointless; every starter and starter evolution is unique and wonderful in their own way... except for the Generation 2 ones, which all belong in the trash.

I agree, except the Gen 2 starters are valuable in that they're good for marketing and they're cute.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Ometeotl posted:

The youtube trailer for Z-moves and Alolan Exeggutor went up on Aug 1st, but they were probably leaked in CoroCoro earlier than that, presumably mid July.

I don't think that Alolan forms were leaked as I remember being genuinely shocked at the news (which wouldn't have happened if they were leaked earlier).

Corocoro is usually available during the middle of the month so leaks usually occur a few days beforehand. Around the 9th to 12th of a given month.

So I expect a similar date for a new mechanic to be revealed.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

How often you get eggs also depends on who you put in as well. The pair will produce more eggs if they are the same species and have different trainer IDs and obviously you won't get any eggs at all if the two are the same gender or they don't belong to the same egg group.

Tunklord Supreme posted:

while people are answering questions about the breeding process, is there any way to breed a beast ball onto a piplup?
i have a female araquanid in a beast ball, who can give piplup aqua ring as an egg move, but if the female parent is always the one that passes down their pokeball then i can't figure out a way to get a piplup into a ball other than a boring regular ball

am i missing something here?

The parents need to be the same species but in different balls.

Zuzie fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Mar 3, 2019

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Kurieg posted:

My favorite thing is how Game Freak loves giving pokemon in the Field egg group these completely random egg moves that no pokemon in the egg group learns.

But Smeargle exists so it's technically possible.

Then you have moves that a Pokémon can only learn as an egg move purely for flavor reasons.

Onix can get Rototiller as an egg move. Where can Onix get it? Dwebble. Where did Dwebble get it? Paras. Where did Paras get it? Cacnea. Where did Cacnea get it? Lopunny (who learns the move via Heart Scale).

And what does Rototiller do? Increases the Attack and Special Attack of all Grass types on the field when used. All this does for Onix is to make it die more easily to Grass types.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Whalley posted:

There's no worst pokeyman you monsters. They're all good friends.

I wish IV/EVs weren't so important in tournaments, I know my favorites are bad for fighting but like... I just really believe in Electabuzz/Durant/Pinsir/Exploud/Sharpedo/Tropius and I don't want to put in the crazy amount of work to make them just slightly viable okay :mad:

IVs and EVs are fine as it allows for a crazy amount customization (where even 2 Pokémon of the same species, ability and set of moves can function a bit differently from one another). It's really the base stats and movepools for these Pokémon that need to be tweaked.

However, balancing characters can be kind of tricky, especially when you have over 800 different characters to work with. Plus people expect newer characters to be better in order to actually be used. The remarkable thing is that older monsters get retrofitted with new stuff as well. I think in other monster-centric franchises, these older character have a chance to end up not being programmed into a sequel. Something almost unthinkable in Pokémon (well apart from the Let's Go games, but no one expects it to be the successor for competitive battling).

Zuzie fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Mar 4, 2019

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Clarste posted:

EVs are fine, but I think IVs are bad because you generally just want everything maxed out except maybe the stats you want to be low for some gimmick reason. Unlike IVs, you don't have to make any kind of trade-off: some mons are just strictly better than others. I don't think they add enough to the game to be worth the huge pain in the rear end.

Luckily the main campaigns are easy enough that a Pokémon unlucky enough to be generated with bad IVs are still usable. In my Ultra Moon playthrough, my starter Litten ended up with a Bold Nature and an IV attack of zero (I only kept it at first because it was a female on the first try). She ended up being a valued member of the team despite having started with the minimal possible attack for an Incineroar (gaining attack EVs helped).

Competitive breeding should really be kept for PvP fights and ideally you need to beat the main campaign and some postgame in order to access all the tools needed to even think about competitive. Later games have even made breeding for competitive even easier and even introduced things like Hyper Training so IVs aren't as a huge issue any longer. At this point the only factors needed to have a competitive monster are the correct nature, egg moves and whether the Pokémon has or needs its Hidden ability or not.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Huh, so the Pokemon mafia never got dismantled in the anime? And it's still spreading to other regions? That's a little unsettling.

No Team Rocket Organization effectively means no Jessie, James and Meowth. As for spreading, well they would be spreading, but any time the larger organization gets involved, they end up getting their asses handed to them by the forces of good (either the Legendary they've been trying to capture or Ash and friends).

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

It'll probably die down when new information (aka new things to make fun off) is revealed.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Brother Entropy posted:

the trauma of 'what if a cat but some red on it' evolving into an insanely cool wrestler

People really were expecting Litten to remain a quadruped. They don't realize that quadrupeds tend to be less versatile then bipedal Pokemon though.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Eiba posted:

On a related note what the heck happened to Oshawatt? Generations later I just can't wrap my head around that one.

I think they encountered Artist's Block regarding where to progress Oshawott's line. Then they went to the local aquarium and saw a sea lion there.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

My favorite part of Incineroar was people of culture immediately noticing he was a heel due to the design sheet and calling out that it'd be Fire/Dark, a neat combination. Then every schmuck out there went "uhh bipedal and muscular?? that's a fighting type" unable to grasp what a heel was no matter how many times it was explained.

There is the whole thing about kayfabe though. Pro wrestling (or at least the kind Incineroar practices) is usually treated as an actual sport by those in the kayfabe rather then a hybrid of a sport and performance art that it actually is.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

All bug types are good... Apart from sandy cloak Wormadam because that's the closest thing to a fully evolved Bug/Ground type we have and it looks like a pizza slice.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Now is Phione a legendary or not? Unless it's Manaphy I'm thinking of, the baby one. Is the baby sea critter legendary or not

At this point, they've made a distinction that Mythicals (who are usually aren't available in-game) aren't the same as Legendaries (who usually are available for capture in-game). Also with the introduction of Meltan, who is classed as a Mythical, I think its safe to say that Phione is a Mythical and not a Legendary.

It would be nice if we had official confirmation though.

Zuzie fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Mar 9, 2019

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

"Ultra Beast" is a term in the same way that "starter", "fossil", "Legendary" and "Mythical" are. They're all used to classify and organize Pokémon into different groups based on common factors like how they're obtained and their general strength.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Mraagvpeine posted:

What about Pseudo-Legendary?

As far as I'm aware, that was a term invented by fans. It's become traditional to introduce a Pokémon that often evolves later then others but ends up having a BST of 600, which is stronger then most Legendary Pokémon (Legendary trios like the birds) and about the same as Mythicals like Mew and Celebi. But otherwise these Pokémon don't have an official name.

I think the Japanese fan term for them is "600 club".

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Game Freak's solution to the Stealth Rock problem was not to nerf it directly but to create absurdly powerful monsters that could really only be stopped by Stealth Rocks (Volcarona and Talonflame in particular).

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Game Freak still operates at the level of a "Double A" company (as opposed to a "Triple A" studio). They probably have about 50 or so people handling development and other jobs needed to run a small company.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

And people were apprehensive about Sun and Moon's artstyle...

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

They'll never grow and operate on a AAA scale, because that just risks a game getting delayed, and the IP is too big to not get a new generation every 3 years on the clock.

That and they want to avoid going over Dunbar's number (the number of stable relationships a person can maintain, which is about 150). Many times that a work lost its vision or underlying theme is when too many people have different ideas that all get included. Too many cooks spoil the broth after all.

As much as we joke about the nonsense Pokedex information on each Pokémon, there's at least some kind of coherency with Pokémon's main themes and world.

Zuzie fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Mar 11, 2019

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I'd be surprised if Pokémon Sword and Shield didn't have amiibo compatibility since it'll be the first time that they'll be developing a mainline title on a system that started off with amiibo support (the 3DS only had it with later models or a separate accessory) .

Although I bet it'll only be compatible with the Smash Bros amiibo and not a line dedicated to Sword and Shield. My guess would be you scan the amiibo and you get the Pokémon represented with moves similar to their Smash Bros counterpart, like scanning an Incineroar amiibo will get you an Incineroar with Cross Chop, Revenge, Darkest Lariat and Vital Throw (the closest thing to Alolan Whip).

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Maybe it's also because the "toys to life" craze is dying down and I think amiibo are the only ones that haven't become discontinued yet.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I got around to reading about SOS battles and the mechanics behind them and the whole chaining for IVs and HAs and wow I hate all of it!

Well luckily Gen 8 will probably dump it in favor of something that's equally tedious.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

If I recall, the Let's Go games and Sword and Shield started development around the same time by different teams at Game Freak, so I don't think that the Sword and Shield development team intentionally meant to drop a feature from a game that they hadn't seen yet at the time of planning. Also they'd have no way of knowing it would be the one feature from the Let's Go games that have been almost unanimously praised.

So it'll probably return in Gen 9, maybe not.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

galagazombie posted:

I cannot understand people who don't like B&W's all-new dex. Why do you even play new Pokemon games if not to use new Pokemon?
What's actually funny though is that Mimikyu, whose supposed to be lonely and unloved, became not just one of the generations most popular and loved pokemon, but more popular and loved than its games actual pikaclone.

Nostalgia is a powerful thing. Most people want to use new monsters in a new game. On the other hand, some simply don't want to and they're attached to some that are viewed as old friends.

In regards to Mimikyu, it was purposely designed to invoke people's sympathy, which is part of the reason for its popularity. Another part is that people find Pikachu itself to be overrated, so the idea that there's an "anti-Pikachu" out there, a horrifying monster who wants to be as loved just as much as the series mascot draws people in.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Well rodents are the largest family of mammals so it makes some sense that electric rodents are a successful lifeform in the Pokémon world.

I'm surprised that they haven't introduced a predator that specifically preys on electric rodents.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

indigi posted:

Raichu sucked until Alolan form

How dare you. Raichu was my go-to electric type in Gen 1. Granted, it hasn't taken to the general power creep, but the same can be said for plenty of other Gen 1 Pokémon, like Dewgong, Rapidash and Hypno.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Blaze Dragon posted:

You should be perfectly fine but it's also kind of antithetical to the Gen 5 idea of using the new guys instead of the guys you already used.

Well not entirely since you had access to most of the older monsters through the Dream World. There's a trade off though as their stats were more "balanced" while evolving earlier, having hidden abilities and having better movepools to work with.

You could get a Nidoking and Nidoqueen before the third gym and it would be a potential game breaker.

Of course this isn't helpful now that the Dream World is gone.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

A Sometimes Food posted:

And obviously the producers stopped all that and he left somewhat acrimoniously after the first season when it became clear he wasn't gonna be allowed to do that nonsense.

He also left due to failing health as well. The fact that he had a young daughter at the time was the reason for the third movie's plot being about a small girl missing her father and whatnot.

Yeah, it's funny how fans want a "darker and edgier" anime but Shudo's original ideas are pretty dark in themselves, but not in the way people wanted.

Oh and apparently you were also considered an adult at the age of 10 in Shudo's original draft, which includes all the trappings of being one (paying taxes, being tried as an adult and jailed if you commit a crime, age of consent etc). Also the main workforce is full of women because so many men would prefer to go on Pokémon journeys instead of getting actual jobs, which explains the existence of Nurse Joys and Officer Jennies.

Zuzie fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 16, 2019

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Flopsy posted:

And sorry if I keep coming back to this, but is it just me or is this whole thing weirdly sexist? Like it implies men are naturally dumb deadbeats who abandon their families so much women have to pick up the slack. And apparently women have little interest in pursuing any kind of training career to begin with and just stick with standard breadwinning poo poo. I dunno it just....I don't like the implications here. That and the whole adulthood starts at 10 years old poo poo.

It does sound awful, but the whole idea behind those ideas is that its supposed to paint a picture that living in the Pokémon World isn't supposed to be "sunshine and rainbows" or even "fair". Also there's a reason why they've never left the early drafts or why the series has only gotten "more fair" towards Ash (At the beginning of the series, he was often berated for either making dumb decisions or even for things that weren't his fault).

Also yeah that sort of poo poo wouldn't fly today but it was Japan in the mid-90s when the ideas were first hashed out. Heck, even Brock's characterization of hitting on any pretty woman they group comes across would be considered creepy or downright offensive today, but it gets a pass because that's become one of his most defining character traits in the anime.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Scholtz posted:

Also for even more masochism, every UB was caught in a premier ball instead of a BB.

That doesn't sound too awful when all other balls apart from the Master Ball are just as effective as regular Pokéballs on Ultra Beasts. Since premier balls are just regular balls but colored white, it's just as effective on them as they are on any other Pokémon. Not to mention that Ultra Beasts have catch rates that are similar to regular Pokémon (ranging from as low as 15 with Guzzlord in Sun and Moon to as high as 255 for Pheromosa and Kartana). They have a flat rate of 45 in Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon though.

Flopsy posted:

It makes the series sound kind of post apocalyptic with no explanation as to why. Like a lot of this social structure that was planned for the pokemon world is just bizarre with no basis. Why are 10 year olds adults? And why has half the population basically up and gone "welp gently caress my wife and kids I gotta grind this magikarp to greatness." I don't have a problem with a darker tone I have problem it doesn't seem well thought out. Sun and Moon did a much better job showing what happens when you're not a great battler and society leaves you behind not to mention lovely parenting. Homelessness and child abuse aren't sunshine and rainbows but they conveyed it well. And yeah anime has some...issues...sometimes.

My guess is that it was a way to inject some depth to what is essentially an adaptation designed to sell merchandise. Also the post apocalyptic angle isn't too far off since some of the original drafts do allude to the idea that "There used to be ordinary animals, but then one day Pokémon appeared and took over the ecosystem and drove them to extinction". They are bizarre ideas now, but this was well before all the world building that occurred in the franchise happened.

Zuzie fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 17, 2019

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Silver2195 posted:

Is it ever explained how Ash and friends get enough money to buy food, etc., in the anime, since the prize money thing doesn't even seem to exist in the anime? We see Team Rocket working odd jobs, borrowing money, and sometimes skipping meals, but the Twerps don't seem to worry about money. I guess Delia pays Ash's expenses and Norman pays May and Max's, and Pewter and Cerulean Gyms are profitable?

For that matter, what does Delia do for a living?

For the later question, Delia's a homemaker in most continuities but I think she owns a restaurant in at least one adaptation (I think Shudo's novelizations).

As for the former question... That squarely falls under the Mystery Science Theater 3000 mantra. Nothing much about how human civilization functions in the Pokémon World outside of instances that concern Pokémon directly.

We don't even know if there's even a government outside of Pokémon Leagues.

Zuzie fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Nasgate posted:

While I believe that post scarcity Utopia is probably the best representative concept, the existence of ancient Pokemon just fuddle my brain on that concept. Like how recent was the scarcity if we're just now incorporating Pokemon into daily life when they've existed before humanity?

I'd chalk it up to how Pokémon as a franchise was pre-world building. In Gen 1, it's implied that that the games takes place in the actual Kanto region of Japan, only with Pokémon instead of regular animals. Also the idea of a Pokémon League was a recent one.

Flopsy posted:

Wasn't it implied that infinite energy came from pokemon somehow? Or am I remembering this plot point from ORAS wrong....I think it was the reason Zinnia was so lovely with Steven among other things.

They were pretty vague on what Infinity Energy actually is. It could be a stand-in for fossil fuels or nuclear power, but its implied that it comes from the lifeforce of Pokémon somehow. Its kind of a tie-in to AZ's super weapon. Zinnia's role in the plot had little to do with energy itself and more to do with the fact that the plan to stop the meteor from hitting the Hoenn region involved sending it to a different Hoenn region in an alternate reality that didn't have a means to get rid of it themselves (implied to be the Hoenn of Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald).