Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Worst way to die in Samurai Shodown?
Getting eaten by a demon.
Getting hacked apart by a kabuki actor while stage hands dance on your corpse.
Getting crushed by a giant icicle summoned by a little girl.
Having all your major joints broken by a stealthy ninja.
Getting cleaved in two by a drunk rear end in a top hat.
Making the wrong decision twice while Ukyo has you in the corner.
View Results

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAnmfmqCsy8

Samurai Shodown is back after 14 years! It's finally time to return to the Edo Period, and check in with our alcoholic and/or tuberculosis ridden heroes once more.

What is Samurai Shodown?
Samurai Shodown (Samurai Spirits in Japan) is SNK's second biggest IP. It's a weapons fighter; every character has some edged weapon and uses it in combat. To account for this, the designers tried to make the game more "realistic." This means the game is more measured with GIGANTIC DAMAGE. If you've ever thought: "this game has combos that are too long, I just want something where you die in 3 hits," then samsho is for you.

When is it coming out, and for what platform?
Early Summer 2019. What does that mean? Who knows! It'll be out before EVO, though. Platform-wise, it's coming to everything. PC, PS4, Bone and Switch. Tournaments will be on PS4, if you're into that sort of thing.

Who is in the game?
According to the SNK wiki it's:

Haohmaru
Nakoruru
Genjuro Kibagami
Ukyo Tachibana
Earthquake
Jubei Yagyu
Galford
Charlotte
Hanzo Hattori
Tam Tam
Kyoshiro Senryo

basically the samsho 2 crew

What mechanics are here?
At this point, who knows. We know weapon catches are back, but concentration and state of nothingness are gone. PAX East will have a full demo. We'll know more then.

What can I do to help end the scourge known as tuberculosis that took the life of our beloved friend, Ukyo?
Tuberculosis is still an incredibly deadly disease. According to the World Health Organization, 10 million people contracted active TB in 2017, and 1.6 million died from it. According to the CDC, up to 13 million people in the US today have latent TB, a non-contagious and non-symptomatic form that can become active at any point.

That being said, you can donate globally to various charities. Doctors Without Borders is one I am particularly fond of. World Tuberculosis Day is March 24, so wear your red (the official color for tuberculosis awareness), and remember the warning signs. If you have a persistent bad cough that lasts for 3 weeks or more or you cough up blood at any time, go see a doctor immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Smoking Crow posted:

What can I do to help end the scourge known as tuberculosis that took the life of our beloved friend, Ukyo?
Tuberculosis is still an incredibly deadly disease. According to the World Health Organization, 10 million people contracted active TB in 2017, and 1.6 million died from it. According to the CDC, up to 13 million people in the US today have latent TB, a non-contagious and non-symptomatic form that can become active at any point.

That being said, you can donate globally to various charities. Doctors Without Borders is one I am particularly fond of. World Tuberculosis Day is March 24, so wear your red (the official color for tuberculosis awareness), and remember the warning signs. If you have a persistent bad cough that lasts for 3 weeks or more or you cough up blood at any time, go see a doctor immediately.

Is there any truth to the old Japanese folklore that apples are a cure for tuberculosis?

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Guess I might as well ask here. I don't know much about the SamSho games, but what was the deal with SamSho 6? Was there a reason why it wasn't popular?

I'll probably get this day 1, even though I never got to really play the games before, they did interest me. How sick would it be if we could still cut people in half though.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

It looks good, hope the netplay at launch isnt running at underwater speeds like kof14

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Is that the final roster? V Special is the only SamSho I've ever played more than 10 minutes of and I was a big fan of Kazuki...I would love to see the exploding pants given the brushstroke treatment.

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost
i want to melt into the arms of basara

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Galford picker reporting for duty

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Sarchasm posted:

Is there any truth to the old Japanese folklore that apples are a cure for tuberculosis?

No, the only cure is a daily regimen of antibiotics for over a year.

Big Scary Owl posted:

Guess I might as well ask here. I don't know much about the SamSho games, but what was the deal with SamSho 6? Was there a reason why it wasn't popular?

I'll probably get this day 1, even though I never got to really play the games before, they did interest me. How sick would it be if we could still cut people in half though.

6 is a part of the strange "SNK goes back to the drawing board after being bought by Playmore" series of games along with KOF XI. (I know a lot of people like that game, hush) Samurai Shodown 6 takes a lot of weird influences from Guilty Gear (IAD combos), Capcom vs SNK 2 (groove system) among other things. It doesn't feel like a SamSho game. It also looks bad because they took the old sprites from neo-geo and put them in an atomiswave game and just added a heavy brush filter over them. It's hideous. The new characters are really weird and bad, sorry Andrew Jackson/swan maid/robot fans.

In Training posted:

Is that the final roster? V Special is the only SamSho I've ever played more than 10 minutes of and I was a big fan of Kazuki...I would love to see the exploding pants given the brushstroke treatment.

I have no idea, I'm not sure if SNK even knows if it's the final roster. That said, I'm like 90% sure Rimururu will be in the game

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Feb 28, 2019

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Gonna need my boy Wan-Fu to make a return.

Also I know its technically somewhere in the main timeline(between 1 and 2?) but since its effectively a soft reboot I wonder if popular characters like Mina will make an appearance.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Evil Canadian posted:

Gonna need my boy Wan-Fu to make a return.

Also I know its technically somewhere in the main timeline(between 1 and 2?) but since its effectively a soft reboot I wonder if popular characters like Mina will make an appearance.

It's between V and I. V is a prequel

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Charlotte owns, can't wait to poke people to death with her in a new game.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
I'm an Absolute Fucker so I'm waiting on the surprise playable Amakusa announcement.

But :hellyeah: more SamSho and more SNK

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Archenteron posted:

I'm an Absolute Fucker so I'm waiting on the surprise playable Amakusa announcement.

But :hellyeah: more SamSho and more SNK

same and same

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

cannot wait to piss off my brother with Earthquake again and again like back in the day hahaha eat poo poo TJ YOU BROUGHT THIS ON YOURSELF FOR BUYING THIS GAME, you pick hanzo every time, i know your poo poo

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

hoping mina makes it in

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Smoking Crow posted:

It's between V and I. V is a prequel

Pretty smart since that opens the door to basically every character in the franchise.

Add Shiki you cowards.

Even with a smaller roster I think I'm more excited for this than I was for XIV (XIV is fuckin' awesome though).

I'd be stunned if Rimururu isn't in it, though hopefully they use an older version again, they made her look lamer in each successive appearance:

Samurai Shodown man, I think SS6 is the only one with some new characters that are bad. I mean like there's plenty of ones I personally don't like, but every design is awesome.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos
Shiki please. SNK RULES

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

yo mamma a Horus posted:

i want to melt into the arms of basara

Aurra
Feb 3, 2006

https://giant.gfycat.com/ForkedInfantileAbalone.webm

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
Still hoping for Gen-an, probably more likely the referee will be playable than him.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

Even with a smaller roster I think I'm more excited for this than I was for XIV (XIV is fuckin' awesome though).

Definitely, XIV could have been disastrous since we really had no idea what New New Neo Geo was gonna be capable of, and even if XIV turned out good, it would be good for people who like KOF. in the current dark times there's no games with damage and buttons like SamSho, and if this game is awesome it would be a godsend. I'm stoked

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Zand posted:

hoping mina makes it in

Me too

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/8acwt5Z.gifv

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
I haven't played this series at all but I'm excited to press a big button and completely chunk someone's life bar

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

dhamster posted:

I haven't played this series at all but I'm excited to press a big button and completely chunk someone's life bar

Kinda has me worried about load and menu times, though.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I'm gonna quote myself from the KOF thread from months ago about a supposed leak

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

A leaker in reddit that called the game as being SS a week ago is claiming the following:

>Blood will be toned down but will still be there. They want the series to be appealing without it being all about gore. I think there is also an option to turn gore off if you'd like, but the blood will remain by default
>The only reason why they didn't go with UE4 with kof14 is because they were already too late into development and unfimiliar with it to be bail on their in house engine. With Samurai Spirits, they had a proper budget and were given time to actually use UE4.
>KoFXV but yes. They literally just started development for that game now.
>Haoumaru, Nakoruru, Shiki, Charlotte, Genjuro, Ukyo, and Rimururu as playable characters
>The visuals should be upgraded a bit considering that SamSho was literally a test to learn Unreal Engine. The graphics overall should look better than they did in KoF14
>The next SNK heroines characters are Female Skull-o-Mania, Miss X, and Janne D'arc from World Heroes

Also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wsOdhIVSjw

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/az_ky_/status/1100980668404649984

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
SamSho is one of those fighting games I really liked despite some of the jank. There are very few characters I don't like and I look back on the first 4 fondly, especially the first one.

I'm kind of wary of this new one because I haven't really liked much of anything SNK has produced in some time. Not exactly digging the graphical quality, it's like they wanted that painted look but it just looks way too rough and dirty.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

where the gently caress is rasetsumaru

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Big Scary Owl posted:

It's a weird gently caress-around game by the Arcana Heart devs, they ripped all the characters from all the games and added half a dozen grooves and recoloured everything with poppy anime colors and it doesn't outright suck but it barely feels like Samsho, even VS. It also wasn't on Neo Geo and took a long time to come to the west.

Neo Rasa posted:

Add Shiki you cowards.

The leaked list from months ago included Shiki, for sure.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It's a weird gently caress-around game by the Arcana Heart devs, they ripped all the characters from all the games and added half a dozen grooves and recoloured everything with poppy anime colors and it doesn't outright suck but it barely feels like Samsho, even VS. It also wasn't on Neo Geo and took a long time to come to the west.

The leaked list from months ago included Shiki, for sure.

6 was first party SNK, Examu was making Arcana at that time

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Long long ago, there were a man who try to make his skill ultimate. Because of his bloody life, it's no accident that he was involved in the troubles.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

BattleHamster posted:

Long long ago, there were a man who try to make his skill ultimate. Because of his bloody life, it's no accident that he was involved in the troubles.

This stuff speaks more to me than real english and i hate that it doesnt make it into games anymore

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

BattleHamster posted:

This should be scrolling at the top of the OP

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Real hurthling! posted:

This stuff speaks more to me than real english and i hate that it doesnt make it into games anymore

SNK's bad English back then was lightning in a bottle, like it just worked in this super over the top Shakespearean hamming it up way. Even in their games set in the present day, if you watched like Ruckus or Strike Commando or American Force 5 or whatever Kickboxing movies, by the time those reached the point where they were dubbed into English the dialogue was about that awkward anyway so it worked.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Smoking Crow posted:

6 was first party SNK, Examu was making Arcana at that time

6 was still Yuki, there was a year or so in between SS6 and the first Arcana arcade release, and it took a little while after that for the Arcana team to split off into Examu.

Iroha has that Arcana stink all over.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Thinking about it, one of the things I've noticed people don't talk about with SamSho is the atmosphere. Like yes, this is the game where a Texas ninja beats up a guy named Caffeine Nicotine, but in that same game, the match ends in silence while your character hits their win pose. The winquote screen is the loser's corpse being stretchered off while the winner looks miserable because they just had to murder someone

What I'm saying is, please make this a guilt-ridden affair, SNK

night slime
May 14, 2014
SNK was always been pretty good at conveying a certain mood. Thinking of goofy stuff like '99ish Maxima on the ground mugging for the camera or patting his hair sheepishly after the super throw, or Clark posing after a throw.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Smoking Crow posted:

Thinking about it, one of the things I've noticed people don't talk about with SamSho is the atmosphere. Like yes, this is the game where a Texas ninja beats up a guy named Caffeine Nicotine, but in that same game, the match ends in silence while your character hits their win pose. The winquote screen is the loser's corpse being stretchered off while the winner looks miserable because they just had to murder someone

What I'm saying is, please make this a guilt-ridden affair, SNK

They already kind of peaked with Nak's SSV fatality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Huh, so Terry wasn't the first.

https://twitter.com/iczerryuga/status/1100706584898859009?s=21