Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who should have won All-Stars?
This poll is closed.
Monet X Change 17 12.41%
Trinity the Tuck 36 26.28%
club96 84 61.31%
Total: 137 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

:siren::siren::siren:DRAG RACE UK IS STARTING!!!!!:siren::siren::siren:

Join the conversation here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3883286&pagenumber=57#post498808367

Previously in the Drag Race thread...

All-Stars is over, surely we're going to get a break before-

WELCOME TO SEASON 11, BITCHES!

Previously on RuPaul's Drag Race...

https://twitter.com/michcoll/status/1089736654254993408

(I apologize for the lack of gifs right now, I've had a crazy week that included a lot of travel and an emergency Uber ride that cost $69.69 so I'm behind. I'll get some up soon.)

Oof, talk about a whiplash season. It started out so good and fell apart right at the very end. Let's discuss, shall we?

Jasmine Masters just seemed happy to be there. She didn't seem to put any effort into the show, but I was glad to see her after she turned things around post Season 7. I just hope that if (when) they do another All-Stars we get more fight from our first queen out.

Farrah Moan needed another year or two before competing. She just wasn't ready, and it showed. We did see a moment of realness once Gia coaxed it out of her, why not more of that?

Gia Gunn... THANK YOU FOR BRINGING THE DRAMA. From being openly Trans on the show to playing up her reputation, every moment on air was a dream. I don't like behavior like that during regular seasons but I LOVE it on All-Stars.

Latrice Royale went home next... but then there was the twist.

The best episode of the series was incoming: All four eliminated Queens returned for a series of LSFYL duels that had me bursting into flames. In the end, Latrice returned to the competition, leaving us with seven.

Valentina... Poor wonderfully deluded Valentina, way to work the show. From living her fantasy, to her modeling entrances, to "does paint come off skin?" Bless you, Valentina. :allears:

Manila Luzon :aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa: WHAT MANILA WENT HOME IN SIXTH PLACE????? Well, what do you expect when you add Survivor to Drag Race?

Latrice gave it a good run but couldn't make it into the Top Four. You can't slip up if you've gone home previously.

And that left us with four queens:

Naomi Smalls won the award for the best showing vs their original reputation. We all know that she made Top 3 her season but in hindsight, her story was overshadowed by Bob, Kim Chi, and even Chi Chi. Still, she was a fierce queen then and even fiercer now. Plenty of 3rd place scores at the start of the season, two epic lip syncs, and some AMAZING outfits... Others had more wins but Naomi deserves attention. (Also, she actually played the game by eliminating Manila.)

Monique Heart I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!! The narrator of the season, bringer of effortless humor, and she upped her costume game significantly. She had a great showing but was just inconsistent enough to make the Top Two.

And that left us with...

Trinity the Tuck who went into the Finals with one more win. Trinity was the one to beat all season long, able to do everything with ease or at least lucky enough for her failures to land on weeks where she would be safe. The only one who could beat her was...

Monet X Change. Monet went into the Finals with one less win, but in my eyes won the final episode. Monet consistently stepped up her game episode by episode and showed as much versatility as Trinity.

So, who wins? Is it the Queen who dominated all season long or the one just on her heels who won the final leg?

Yes, we had a TIE. WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA?

What a way to end the season... I mean, if there were a single winner people would have been mad but I think a tie pissed more people off in the long run. I have no issues with either queen getting $100K, but it felt like such a last-minute decision and the editing was so ridiculous that WTF?

Still, congrats to Trinity and Monet. Long may they reign.

Ah well, we had fun no matter what and I am READY for Season 11. Bring it, ladies!

Pinwiz11 fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Oct 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

What is RuPaul's Drag Race? I've never watched it.

RuPaul's Drag Race is a competitive reality show where Drag Queens compete in a series of challenges to prove that they have the Charisma, Uniqueness, Nerve, and Talent to be crowned the Next Drag Superstar and win a lot of money. Episodes are pretty typical for the format: The girls may complete in a mini-challenge that may gives the winner(s) some kind of advantage, a main challenge which can be anything from building costumes to acting to putting civilians in drag, and finally a runway show. The judges pick a winner, and then the Bottom Two queens battle it out in the Lip Sync... For Your Life! :nyd: Ru judges the LSFYL and the loser goes home.

We can nitpick the show all we like but it's a joy to watch. The important thing to keep in mind is that these girls are professional Drag Queens. They know how to speak, put on a show, throw shade, and give us the cutting one-liners in the confessionals that we expect. Simply making it on the show is the prize, and while there is $100,000 waiting at the end for the winner anyone one the show sees their booking fees skyrocket. Even being the first one kicked off (Miss Vangie) helps. So this isn't a situation of watching some teenager thinking that they can sing or model, in theory these Queens can take it so as long as you realize it's just a show it's guilt-free entertainment.

Challenges include:
- Singing challenges
- Choreography
- Dress construction
- Acting challenges
- Makeup challenges
- Makeovers
- Hot guys in underwear
- Etc.

In the couple of years they've gone away from the "shoot a RuPaul music video" final challenge to writing/recording/performing individual verses for Ru song. Much more palatable, and occasionally we get gold like "I'm Roxxxy Andrews and I'm here to make it clear." :allears:

Make sure you stay tuned for Untucked after the main episodes for that extra backstage drama.

On Spoilers

I expect that you can find a very accurate elimination order out on the Internet, and if that's your thing then have fun. If you are like me an want to stay as pure as possible, be careful out there. Watch where you go, don't scroll down into the comments section, avoid Reddit, etc. This is doubly true near the end when they shoot the Finale a couple of weeks early, where things like Asia's butterflies :gonk: were out in the wild (unlike those butterflies :smith:) once they hit the stage.

We follow standard SA Spoiler rules here: Spoiler tags for all Season 11 content until it has aired on the East Coast. Drag Race Thailand content should generally have spoiler bars due to the lack of an official release schedule here in the US, and we'll decide what to do in the ramp up for Drag Race UK because I don't think that we'll need a separate thread.

We've all been good with Spoiler bars in the past, just make sure to make it clear what you are hiding, and if you haven't seen the ep yet stay out of the thread and potentially off of social media until you have watched it.

The Judges

RuPaul Charles

quote:

Trixie: She always says that she remembers all, like, the weird stuff but she doesn't remember, like, this morning...
Bob the Drag Queen: She's like "So you mean back in 1994 when I ran into Suzanne Barge at the Dwayne Reed on 57th and 6th and she was buying a bag of Flaming Hot Cheetos and I had an Arizona Tea right before the green- it was a honey, green tea with honey" and then someone's like "Um, your sister's here, like your sister, Angela." "Angelo who?" Your loving sister, RuPaul!
- The Unhhhh Panel, New York DragCon 2017

The leader of the merry bunch, we thank Ru year after year for coming up with the tasty weekly confection that is RuPaul's Drag Race. What else is there to say?

Okay, let's be real. The winner of the show is picked by Ru. The person who is kicked off each week is picked by Ru. This is Ru's baby. It exists to give glory to Ru and help sell her albums (now on iTunes). You thought it was bad to ignore Tim Gunn? DON'T IGNORE RU.

Yes, Ru has been problematic at times. No one denies this, and she deserves to the called out when warranted, but she has also helped to create this show that lets these Queens make a living doing Drag and has really influenced the culture. I expect Ru will say something stupid again in the next year, but the show remains.

The rest of the main judges:

Michelle Visage

(That picture still is everything forever.)

Every once in a while I remember that Michelle wasn't an original judge on the show and I have to pause and collect my wits. The show started to take off once Michelle replaced Merle. Coincidence?

If Ru is the Mother, then Michelle is the stern Aunt. Michelle wants all of the queens to reach their potential, so she's willing to be harsh but it always comes from a place of live. She's been friends with RuPaul forever, co-hosted with Ru on her VH1 talk show, has been a more than welcome addition to the judging panel since the third season, and is the one who really goes on the road with the queens to help push the brand. She's fabulous.

Carson Kressley

https://twitter.com/dvvidmurray/status/858288639238909952

Ross Matthews

Make sure to check out Ross's Lady Gaga story: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGibO05HMgk

Todrick Hall

While not a regular judge, he's taken over the music production role in the last couple of seasons and the show is better for it.

Guest judges

Among this season's guest judges:

- Miley Cyrus (IT'S MILEY!)
- Guilllermo Diaz
- Fortune Feimster
- ELVIRA!!!!!!!
- Tiffany "New York" Pollard
- Wanda Sykes
- And many more!

The Pit Crew

Eye candy, props, set movers... you call them and they'll show up in their skivvies.

GENTLEMEN, START YOUR ENGINES AND MAY THE BEST WOMAN WIN!

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

LET'S MEET... OUR GIRLS

A'Keria C. Davenport - Dallas, TX

Ariel Versace - Cherry Hill, NJ

Brooke Lynn Hytes - Nashville, TN

Honey Davenport - New York, NY

Kahanna Montrese - Las Vegas, NV

Mercedes Iman Diamond - Minneapolis, MN

Nina West - Columbus, OH

Plastique Tiara - Dallas, TX

Ra’Jah D. O’Hara - Dallas, TX

Scarlet Envy - New York, NY

Shuga Cain - New York, NY

Silky Nutmeg Ganache - Chicago, IL

Soju - Chicago, IL

Vanessa Vanjie Mateo - Los Angeles, CA

Yvie Oddly - Denver, CO

Let's do this!!!!!

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

more Drag Race info incoming

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

the bees have been released

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

#TeamCanada

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

esperterra posted:

#TeamCanada

#TeamSilkyCanada

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I'm just here for Panpan.

FIERCE.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
panpan's twitter is, as the youth say, on fleek

:nws: for butt https://i.imgur.com/SsRLSag.jpg

:eyepop:

AND WHAT A BUTT IT IS

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
I'd never seen that performance of Read U Wrote U and I am shooken at that fan reveal Katya did, AS2 was a gift to everyone. Kahanna's promo pic looks like she's never been in front of a camera before.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Please include perpetualmotionplastique.gif in one of the OPs thx

also whatever this is

Czolgosz
Sep 13, 2007
I'll be the Lee Harvey Oswald to your Jack Kennedy.
You're gonna go ahead and put that poll up with that question with those words and not include Manilla?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I stan for Pan

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Czolgosz posted:

You're gonna go ahead and put that poll up with that question with those words and not include Manilla?

Don't hate the poll, hate the game. :colbert:

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

esperterra posted:

the bees have been released

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Despite feeling burnout with this one-two season punch, I still wanna see what Yvie Oddly's gonna do.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

It's kinda weird that Scarlet Envy's entrance look is so underwhelming, when I thought she has the most gorgeous promo look. That mug looks really underdone.

Also I'm not sure if it's due to general Drag Race fatigue, but I'm not feeling this crop too much so far. There's something vaguely... stilted? about the way they talk and interact with other queens. Hopefully that will change when the actual episode comes.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

If Scarlet keeps setting her wigs too low for the whole three, maybe four episodes she lasts, I will find her and snatch them off her head, wherever she is. That's gonna drive me fuckin nuts.

[e: that's not elimination-order spilled T, just prognostication. I smell a Gia redux.]

spite house fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Feb 28, 2019

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Scarlet was giving me serious Tammie Brown vibes. I can only hope she's as nuts as Tammie.

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

blizzardvizard posted:

Also I'm not sure if it's due to general Drag Race fatigue, but I'm not feeling this crop too much so far. There's something vaguely... stilted? about the way they talk and interact with other queens. Hopefully that will change when the actual episode comes.

They seem downright subdued in most VH1/WoW media, but I've enjoyed their interactions on press spots with other outfits.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
#TeamYvie, #TeamVanjie, #TeamPlastique

I'm also growing more fond of Silky, Scarlet, Shuga, and Snina Nina after the preview. Honestly, everyone but Ariel so far seems nice enough to root for. Still, if she can bring some juicy S4-style drama, I might come around.

blizzardvizard posted:

Yeah, I get the same vibe, especially after season 10 was overflowing with strong personalities. I'm mainly judging from the MtQ videos though, and I often find those not correlating very much with how they end up on the show.

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

:holy: I made an OPworthy meme!

I've been waiting it out for the whole premiere episode and haven't watched the preview, but I've recharged my RPDR batteries some by switching over to ANTM for a minute (Hulu has all of it as far as I can tell). Seeing the queens' promo photos with those colors was like... immediate eye blood. Imagine going from hours of standing next to a running jet engine, then spending time in a zen garden, and going right back to those jet engines.

I'm so ready to be overstimulated to death. I welcome switch from sad, stressed teenagers to drag queens being distracting unintelligibly.

Miss Vaaaaaaaaaaaaaanngie~

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Dreading listening to this Race Chaser live given how sloppy the last few episodes have been. Expecting the worst.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

ICHIBAHN posted:

Dreading listening to this Race Chaser live given how sloppy the last few episodes have been. Expecting the worst.

Yeah, I've turned the last couple episodes off halfway through. They seem to be taking it less seriously. Also the strange thing is, the last several episodes they've recorded while getting ready for shows it seems like, so they'll have other queens like Jinxx there in the background occassionally chiming in. Why not just have them come on as actual guests?

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
I have not looked at any of these queens at all but based on Soju's makeup job in her promo look I'm rooting for her.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Ground floor - I am only on Season 8 but I just want to watch it live now!

I got to meet some of the queens a few weeks back and fell in love all over again with Jinkx (excuse my dumb pose, I was nervous as heck! Darienne Lake even noticed and held my hand a bit to calm me down lol)

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I still enjoy the poo poo out ot Race Chaser, I can listen to Willam and Alaska kiki about anything, but it's definitely lost something when they moved to reviewing the currently airing seasons. I imagine it's harder to bang the episodes out when waiting weekly and working around their schedules. I wouldn't be surprised if they did a lot of the season 1 and 2 eps in a handful of long recording sessions, and obvs with time passed there is more fun tea to share about the old seasons.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
every now and then I think about how Jade Jolie got away with being fatphobic on camera because she was on the only season without a big queen

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Eej posted:

every now and then I think about how Jade Jolie got away with being fatphobic on camera because she was on the only season without a big queen
No remember Roxxy was a "plus size queen." She fuckin had to call herself that every three seconds because there's no way in hell you'd tell from seeing her, but she definitely branded herself as that.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Whalley posted:

No remember Roxxy was a "plus size queen." She fuckin had to call herself that every three seconds because there's no way in hell you'd tell from seeing her, but she definitely branded herself as that.

Well, she was there to make it clear.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I disappeared from the last thread because I couldn't watch while my wife was out of town. Now that I'm caught up I'll just say that ending was some hacked up bullshit and monet isn't that talented.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Whalley posted:

"Thick and juicy" or something.

Side note it would be pretty fuckin' rad if big girls would stop using that as their only personality trait.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

jit bull transpile posted:

I disappeared from the last thread because I couldn't watch while my wife was out of town. Now that I'm caught up I'll just say that ending was some hacked up bullshit and monet isn't that talented.

If we're spilling some more tea: neither was Trinity. Manila was the real winner.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Ubiquitous_ posted:

If we're spilling some more tea: neither was Trinity. Manila was the real winner.

Out of the actual options in the finale though?

Manila is better than Trinity but Trinity isn't a dime store Bob like monet is.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

the escape goat posted:

Side note it would be pretty fuckin' rad if big girls would stop using that as their only personality trait.

Please don't give me eureka flashbacks

Eureka and to some extent aquaria being given massive passes for their shittier performances because of ~narrative~ is what ended up making me lose interest in S10. I really hope that stops happening and drag Race becomes more like DRT but who knows at this point

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

jit bull transpile posted:

Out of the actual options in the finale though?

Manila is better than Trinity but Trinity isn't a dime store Bob like monet is.

The only way that Monet is better than Bob is singing ability, imo. The Billie Holliday cover she has on Youtube is excellent.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

the escape goat posted:

Welcome to the Nina West fan club

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

youcallthatatwist posted:

Please don't give me eureka flashbacks

Eureka and to some extent aquaria being given massive passes for their shittier performances because of ~narrative~ is what ended up making me lose interest in S10. I really hope that stops happening and drag Race becomes more like DRT but who knows at this point

...what performance of Aquaria’s would you call “lovely” because she deadass killed the whole competition.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Aquaria got a lot better halfway through the season when she ran out of prepared comebacks and catchphrases

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Youth Decay posted:

Welcome to the Nina West fan club

You from Columbus? All of my Columbus friends are freaking out that she's on the show.

I'm also super relieved that the show is on at 9PM. It gives me plenty of time to get home from work and get settled in before having to figure out making a free account with VH1.com to watch it live.