Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who should have won All-Stars?
This poll is closed.
Monet X Change 17 12.41%
Trinity the Tuck 36 26.28%
club96 84 61.31%
Total: 137 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
I have not looked at any of these queens at all but based on Soju's makeup job in her promo look I'm rooting for her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

Poulpe posted:

I have not looked at any of these queens at all but based on Soju's makeup job in her promo look I'm rooting for her.

WELP I cursed it.
Does anyone have any other requests for early elim queens or

Wait no, nevermind
I'M ROOTING FOR SILKY :catstare:

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

spite house posted:

These are some justifying-rear end bitches. Watching everyone stammer excuses on the main stage made me flash on Tim Gunn barking "DO NOT DEFEND THE SHOE TO ME". This show has been on the air since the Cambrian explosion, people, have we really not figured out that we are not to defend the metaphorical shoe to Ru? Jesus.

Every single season.
You know you're going to have to make a dress.
You know you're going to have to imitate a celebrity.
You know you're going to have to act and dance and sing.
You know that the judges hate excuses.
COME PREPARED.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

Eej posted:

As if anyone could do Mariah after Shangela

After Shangela was written a part that was specifically made to win a challenge? :11tea:

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

I thought Yvie looked terrible with that ugly robot lion. :smith:

I went back and finished up S8 with Bob the Drag Queen winning and while they are super entertaining their drag was nowhere near as good as Naomi's or Kim Chi's.

I had a big conversation with my friend about this, it definitely felt like a weird look to me. It felt like an excellent concept that was kind of messy and crafty in its execution, but the judges ate it up :shrug:

I would love to see a runway queen like Raja or Violet take on the same concept.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

the escape goat posted:

If the show was 50% construction challenges and 50% whatever the hell else that would be amazing. I love seeing what queens can come up with and goddamnit, by now these bitches need to know that they can't walk into that werkroom without knowing their way around a sewing machine or at least a hot glue gun!

Every season needs to be season 3. It was so stupidly good. I want my drag queens stressed and ragged after making outfits for 5 separate episodes.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
That lip sync though.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

spite house posted:

Yvie. Robbed.

Severely.

Color me jaded but it seriously feels like Silky was handed that win in order to justify keeping her around for the entire season. Big girls amirite?!

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

I need these queens making their own stuff soon as it's kinda not the same without them struggling to piece something together. The whole fun of the old seasons was seeing what they pieced together under the intense pressure. It almost feels like "cheating" as they are all told exactly what to bring and what the themes will be.

This show is absolutely at its peak during the creative challenges. I am SO looking forward to this week's episode. Not only a ball, but a SPOOKY ball? Oh poo poo yes

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

esperterra posted:

Late rear end night at work so just watching now, but I feel the need to say in the past episode and twenty minutes of this one, I'm at peace with not liking Yvie Oddly much. She's gotten such a good reception that my lackluster one had me wondering if I was missing something, but eh I don't think I am. I like her looks, though they're rough around the edges (which I miss on the show tbh. seems like you need to show up with a shitton of money to get anywhere these days), but she just rubs me the wrong way idk. She just seems like a dick lmao, but not in an entertaining 'bitch you love to hate', or 'bitch who is so charming it doesn't matter' way.

I like Yvie, but I think I don't love her. I expect she'll make top 5 at least.
Completely agree with her looks, I almost always love the concept of her looks but the execution is always just a little underdone. I know queens are younger and poorer and less vetted, I just can't help myself wanting (Season 2) Raja to take on almost every awesome idea Yvie has that wound up with lackluster execution. Sexy Voodoo doll? Holy poo poo! Excellent idea! That could have been chic as gently caress! But it just wasn't there.

As for rubbing you the wrong way, I get it. In particular that stood out at the beginning of the episode, where she essentially picked a fight with (Season 11) Raja for no reason. Thing is- I think she's completely right. Every time a queen survives a lip sync it's this "ooh I really have to bring it NOW!" and Yvie is completely correct- where the hell was it yesterday? Bring it every goddamned day or you're going home! THAT SAID, she kind of lacks the compassion to know not to say things like that when people are feeling vulnerable. It makes for good TV, which is more interesting than Rupaul's Best Friend Race though!

In any case, Silky..... I'm not crazy about Silky still.
Coming right off of Eureka onto Latrice onto Silky- do big girls just always rely on bodysuits and evening gowns? Gimme something interesting ladies!

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

quote:

What the gently caress Fashion Photo Ruview

I really feel like either Raja has gotten incredibly soft or the "Rupaul Media Network" has it's fingers in this now.
I seriously miss when Raven was the FPR regular and she would boot outfits for being the garbage they were the moment she saw the photo.

People are saying Bootleg Fashion Photo Ruview is the good one now.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

curiousTerminal posted:

I mean, season 3 was rigged from the start, Raja knows Ru from outside of Drag Race so she was always going to be set up to be the winner.

Yeah, I think it was pretty cut and dry that season.
There's the whole thing where the second or third queen going home literally wrote "Congratulations Raja!" as her going away message (you can see it in the background as she goes home) only to have the producers wipe away everything but her name before the other queens come back in. :crossarms:

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Just gonna echo the "Silky played Silky and isn't getting read on her incredibly samey runways" notion.
But then, they conveniently ignored Latrice's samey runways.
And they conveniently ignored Eureka's samey runways...

:thunk:

I have long since been annoyed by the big girl "evening gowns and bodysuits" pass.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

esperterra posted:

Eureka is a weird example, considering she's one of the only big girls to do something more than just wear gowns. I know she did a lot of body suits but imo her runways were one of the best things about her.

Anyway Bianca played Bianca and wore the same dress every week so :shrug:

This is totally fair!
At least Bianca was likable though, christ.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

Combed Thunderclap posted:

I thought the judges (especially Michelle) definitely recognized that Silky was coasting hard with a look she put little effort into. Hoping it’s at least held against them next week.

I’m really bummed that Plastique was sent home, just feel like she had more to show still compared to Vanjie. :sigh:

Yeah honestly if Vanjie and Plastique hadn't screwed the pooch SO HARD I think Silky was bottom two bait this week. I'm so freaking tired of her.

And I agree with the other posters- I loved Plastique's looks and she is a charming and surprisingly mature person, but she just didn't deliver in challenges week after week. It was her time. Shuga's is coming up soon too.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

warez posted:

This show has a real rough relationship with anyone involved admitting fault

I could totally see Silky taking the crown at this point. Her arc is reminding me distinctly of Tyra’s, Ru seems totally enamored, and she hasn’t made any major fuckups just yet.

Tyra is the only time in the show's history that a straight up villain won the crown, and that resulted in a literal bomb threat from the queen in question. I don't see Silky taking the season any time soon.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Yeaaah gonna go ahead and echo the sentiments already here
  • Nina deserved the HELL out of that win. She's still being slept on I think but if there was a time she deserved it that was it.
  • Silky has to stop picking people up. Why does this keep happening? Why do they keep playing it off like it's nothing? Have we forgotten about Mimi completely?
  • Silky is getting such a severe free pass it's ludicrous. Plastique was racist, Silky was charmingly ghetto. Vanjie is one-note, Silky "has that it factor." It makes no sense. It seriously feels like she's got a free ride to the top 3 at this point. When they kept cutting to the judges grinning while she was pouring milk I was like- She isn't doing anything! She's just standing there! What the hell you guys! At least they're appropriately critiquing her awful looks.
  • Shuga did *not* deserve bottom two for that. Completely understand that it was her time to go and she unexpectedly produced a good week from a producer perspective, but that was unjustifiable, even with editing. Black Magic's performance was a MESS.
  • Vanjie legitimately turned out that lip sync and Shuga needs to learn how to open her eyes while performing.

At this point I'm thinking it's definitely Brooklyn or Yvie's season. Despite there being near equivalent wins across the board they have been consistently top/high all season, where everyone else has yoyo'd around.

Poulpe fucked around with this message at 17:34 on May 3, 2019

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

Guilty posted:

Goons really know how to live in some kind of conspiracy ridden fantasy world, Jesus christ....

'It was her time to go, she really wasn't that great and she wasn't going to offer anything new, she was worthless'

GRARGGGHRHH THIS IS A CONSPIRACY FROM THE PRODUCTION WORSE THAN ANYTHING IN THE WORLD injustice, she had so much more to offer she should have won the entire drat thing blah blah blah blah

:jerkbag:

I mean. This is a bit of missing the forest for the trees. You can kind of plug how far a queen is going to get in a season around episode 3 or 4, and Plastique and Shuga both read as "middle-high, not top 4 material" from the beginning to me. "Good, but not great." (And yet somehow silky is still here :shepface:)

Queens with mediocre track records can get far, as evidenced in previous seasons with queens like Derrick Barry or Asia, but you kind of know when it's their appropriate time. Plastique wasn't bringing good performances, even though she looked really good week after week. Sad to see her go, but it was her time.

Shuga hasn't been doing great in the challenges, but last week was an exception. She did *great*. And she landed bottom anyway. Even though I'd say it's still "her time" in the overarching season, that was some bullshit.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

gandlethorpe posted:

Whoa whoa whoa, did you just compare Asia to Derrick?

I know, Asia is miles ahead of her, but their track records aren't all that different! Asia had a win on Derrick, and Derrick went home while Asia didn't. But otherwise they're equivalent! Weird, right?

Poulpe fucked around with this message at 21:07 on May 6, 2019

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

esperterra posted:

Hmmm almost as if being a good queen has never guaranteed a good track record :thunk:

Which is a problem! Because the reason people like the show is because it's supposed to be a meritocracy.
That's a large part of why people are getting sick of All Stars, it's not as much about doing well as it's about playing Survivor.

And typically when a queen is only doing just okay it's because there's big hitters doing better :shrug:

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

Eej posted:

Can't wait for Silky to win the crown in the worst lipsync for the crown that will ever exist in Drag Race Herstory

I didn't know Silky made top 4 it hasn't aired yet aaaalalalala I'm not listening I'm not listening

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Drag Race UK Hot Takes:

• Vivienne should not have been top, Blue should have been
  • In what universe was Bagga's look better than Cheryl's
  • Crystal deserved that win holy poo poo
  • Lip Sync was... a lip sync alright
  • Sum Ting has maybe an episode or two left in her

Snatch game already next week! Wow! Moving quickly this one.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

notaspy posted:

I am loving this season and it is really refreshing after how stale the US version has become, but I feel like we are still missing something. It feels like taking British queens and asking them to be American instead of themselves. I am not going to claim to be an expert on drag history but (I am going to act like one) as I understand it drag in the USA comes from the ballroom which wasn't a thing over here, this means the culture is different and it's not getting its chance to shine.

Maybe in future seasons Ru can be convinced to modify the format a little.

Honestly I'm kind of loving that there's no grand prize- it feels a lot more like the queens can be themselves (which is often a cheeky bitch) without losing the fandom or "playing the game". That said yeah- Ru still very expects high fashion at all times.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

blizzardvizard posted:

How did Sum Ting make bottom 2 when Baga was right fuckin there what the gently caress

Personally I think Sum Ting still deserved bottom three- her outfit was unfinished, and one material, that happens to be a fabric, it kind of flew in the face of the challenge.
That said, the fact that Cheryl was bottom 3 and Bagga somehow wasn't is a complete travesty, yes.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
I don't... I don't get Bagga. They've loved her since day one! They keep handing her wins (and inexplicably rescued her from the bottom 3 on dressmaking week.) Feeling to me like she's got the win.

Maybe it's just a British drag thing, but this week's look in particular was pretty... eh? It looked messy and gaudy and she said it was campy but I didn't see it, but they loved it. Different strokes I guess!

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

Robot Mil posted:

I’m not mad that Viv won but had a huge eye roll at Baga getting nothing but praise in the judge’s final comments, while they criticized some of Davina’s looks. Baga was a total mess half the time!

I loved how genuinely supportive and real the queens were with each other, didn’t get a fake or bitter vibe from any of them.

yeaaaahhhh she's been getting a "star power" free pass on her looks all season.
She was 100% bottom two for the brillo dress, full stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

zelah posted:

Watched the Trixie documentary. The Katya stuff was uncomfortable, but I guess it should be.

Why uncomfortable? Was it the "all our fans want us to bang" stuff?