Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who should have won All-Stars?
This poll is closed.
Monet X Change 17 12.41%
Trinity the Tuck 36 26.28%
club96 84 61.31%
Total: 137 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
I'd never seen that performance of Read U Wrote U and I am shooken at that fan reveal Katya did, AS2 was a gift to everyone. Kahanna's promo pic looks like she's never been in front of a camera before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

esperterra posted:

The show has been referencing itself and having challenges based on past queens since forever fwiw

Like it's been a drag race staple for more than half the show's life

The show referencing the stars it helped create is one thing, but this season, even more than others, feels like the queens aren't loving trying to win a competition, they're there to get their 3 or 4 hours of TV in and go collect checks forever. Sometimes it feels more like I'm watching people walk through an interactive drag race exhibit more than an actual season of drag race. Silkie is focusing more on being a character than winning, half the queens don't even seem to care about the prize money, and they're all so nervous about being on the show in a way that professional onstage entertainers shouldn't be. They know that their edit makes or breaks their career in drag, and they don't push because of it.

If they have $200,000 to give out as a prize they need to increase that to the prize money for every season; very, very few queens have that drive to win we saw back in seasons 1-5/6.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

I'm kinda surprised nobody did Marina and the Diamonds in like...seasons 5 or 6. Primadonna was loving everywhere and her aesthetic basically created the soft tumblr depression aesthetic from the same time? Electra Heart is probably copyright since she's a character and nobody had done the "do a character but say youre the actress" thing yet. Also I guess the queens don't really use tumblr regularly, the only ones I can think of who ever use/used it are Willam as an askbox and Jinkx because she's a nerd.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

esperterra posted:

One thing I really look forward to in Drag Race UK is you know it won't be long before we get our goddamn Joanna Lumley and Jennifer Saunders Snatch Games. Hell they might even guest judge, if we're lucky!

I cannot wait for someone to bomb a Margaret Thatcher/Elizabeth II impersonation

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

gandlethorpe posted:

We really need to hold off on All Stars and have a RuDemption season instead to give some early-out queens the extra screentime they deserve.
Alisa Summers, first out in the season of first outs, is instantly deleted from the universe and season 4 has a no elimination, single person lipsync episode one

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Every time I watch a runway, my no-fashion-sense rear end tries to figure out what I'd wear for the theme, and oooh bitch if my cusp rear end was on this season...
Then again, I'd also turn it into a Homestuck reference so it's probably for the best.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

I love that VH1 doesn't even bother to verify the emails you use for the viewing pass so I can do poo poo like this when I remember Untucked exists almost a week after I finish the main episode

curiousTerminal fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Mar 14, 2019

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah that's about right.
It's not often a challenge is bad enough that I have to take a break in the middle. How the hell did Ross deal with that.

jit bull transpile posted:

So over silky. Also just found out Michelle got her implants out because she has bought into the breast implant equivalent of anti vaxx. So sad.

From what I can tell it's basically "it increases the chance of breast cancer and decreases the likelihood of a self-examination finding it" which like, makes sense to me, but literally everything causes cancer so unless it's a drastically increased amount like smoking I feel like getting them taken out is really unnecessary???

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Yanis Marshall was reminding me way way too much of some lovely coworkers I've had (hell he looks like them even) and I couldn't get past that. Whoops.
NORWEGIA god this episode is just completely full of amazing misspeaks.

Silkie won and I haven't seen Untucked yet so I can't wait to see a lot of emotion for safe winner.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Shangela coming back was probably a combination of things: Her ridiculous charisma, her being good enough to be on the show after three months of doing drag plus the year of Drag Race booking money (though not quite as much as it is now, it was still more than a year-into-drag queen would be getting circa 2010), plus just genuinely being an interesting entertainer.

gandlethorpe posted:

But didn't Ru give a really foreshadowing sashay message, like "I have a feeling we haven't seen the last of you" or something? Seems a little on the nose to have been a coincidence.

"Shangela. You have only just begun. But I have a feeling... we haven't seen the last of you yet. Good luck, my dear."
I dunno, it's so generic that it could have meant a few different things.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

The person who nailed trampy halloween costume was absolutely Plastique for coming out as a straight up Playboy bunny. The prompt is "those costumes that girls use as an excuse to show off their t&a in like 50 degree weather" and my mind immediately jumped to the "i painted whiskers on my face with a dull eyeliner pencil and put on cat/bunny ears and then wore my shortest skirt and a sports bra" costume that half of the girls in my high school did.
Yvie's look was kind of a mess, but it's in the spirit of bare minimum of a costume so I'll give it a pass. A'keria and Rajah hit the mark on that, too.

Also was I the only one who got "genie" from Shuga Cain because I don't remember a single person on the episode saying that, only that they didn't get troll doll.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

God am I tired of Silky getting literally ONE negative critique and saying "IF I HAVE TO LIPSYNC FOR MY LIFE IM GONNA LIPSYNC FOR MY MOTHERFUCKING LIFE I AM READY BITCH" she does it every episode. (preview spoiler) God and she does it to RuPaul in the preview lord, girl, we get it you wanna lipsync.
"I can't feel my gerrrrrlls!" God I love Vanessa.
I really like the choreographer's glasses during judging, they're complex but tasteful?
I see what everyone is saying about Nina's outfits, I love the concepts, but the execution seems a bit under par for Drag Race. Not bad per se, but not America's Next Drag Superstar level.
Holy poo poo Scarlet actually did really good in that lipsync for someone who can't dance.

So like, when exactly is drag race gonna stop with these ridiculous required high energy choreo challenges that keep injuring the talent? Not that I didn't enjoy watching it, I really like the sorta onstage performance challenges, but please calm them down a bit.
I hope Yvie gets to sit down next week :ohdear:

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I'm so sure she said "genitals" but the idea of referring to a pair of balls as "the girls" is something I am going to make a conscious effort to try to make a reality

She did, but the entire middle half of the word was a trilled R and I loving died when I heard it

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

I still wish All Stars had an Untucked. Just focus on the safe bitches loving around with each other and not the top/bottom ones (i am dying to know what all this laughter in the background is about)

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

"I Wanna Go" was playing as I walked into work just now and now i'm wondering what Charlie Hides is up to recently, anyone know?

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

I mean, season 3 was rigged from the start, Raja knows Ru from outside of Drag Race so she was always going to be set up to be the winner.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Watching Brooke eat everything on that table made me wish I wasn't allergic to Literally All Raw Produce. I am waiting for the day we solve allergies and I can eat anything I want without worrying about anaphylactic shock.
Vanessa saying "Take that bad juju over there, get outta here" while fanning the air loving annihilated me, please give her her own show on WowPresents.
Plastique's walk through critique...it felt fake but drat if I didn't connect to the whole thing about her parents not approving of who she is. I'm lucky that my siblings are both approving of my gender AND petty enough to exclusively use gender neutral terms/pronouns around my parents. If I didn't have that emotional safety net I don't know what I'd do.

God I hate that I like Silkie's look so much
Brooke: "my denim look" BITCH WHERE? It looks good don't get me wrong, but it doesn't look like an unconventional materials challenge, OR denim.
I really appreciate how Ra'jah matched the bark to her skintone, so it kinda looks like she's not wearing a top at all. Very good illusion. Outfit could be better.

HOW is it only the top 8 I feel like this season has lasted for a hundred years.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Snatch game isn't just about how well you can answer questions funny, it's about how well you can stay in character and throw shade at the other characters. Season 4 was so terrible because all the interaction was about one-upping each other, and season 6 was so good because they were more interested in telling actual jokes with the others. (Bianca and Dela were golden for their interactions)
And as much as I dislike Silky, she was good with those interactions. Yeah she just played herself but that's a separate problem. Nina played to Ru as opposed to with the others. Plastique surprised honestly, especially with how bad her ghetto act was in the werkroom

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Friend can't see the preview but wanted to know what happened, and ended up accidentally summarizing the last 3 episodes of drama.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

I don't think Nina did all that well tbh, she got real thrown off when Brooke didn't give her the cue and I don't think she ever fully recovered. Her funniest moments were all direct, physical interactions with Brooke that Brooke initiated. She played well but didn't deserve a high tbh. the runway though

gandlethorpe posted:

Honestly, no non-Asian person on the show seems to understand anything about being gay and Asian in America. Ru's always surprised whenever an Asian queen (especially a more recently immigrated one) says they're not out to their family as gay let alone as a drag queen. On the farm episode, I was definitely getting Kim Chi come-out-to-mom vibes during Ru's impromptu intervention.

Eej posted:

When Plastique slips back into her Vietnamese accent in the middle of improv and Akeria's face showed up I just yelled "gently caress you"

It's so disheartening to see gay PoC have the same ignorant and frankly bigoted views that the society that oppresses them has. You kind of expect drag queens to be accepting and inclusive of everyone and these girls and the show just fails at that.

Season 8: The anti-asian racism in the gay community is real and it's bad!
Season 11: I know you're a Vietnamese immigrant, but do you have to be so asian about it?

Eej posted:

Silky is gonna be the first big queen to win

Luckily part of winning is now a connection to the fans so Silky has no shot in hell. My friend who admittedly only initially liked Eureka for being a big queen (and not watching untucked) loving hates Silky.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

I wonder how she’ll be received on the finale after all the poo poo she seems to be getting.

Ru, sitting awkwardly on a stool and not moving a single muscle that isn't necessary for speech: "Now we go to our second of the final three, the Reverend Doctor Silky Nutmeg Ganache! Now, Silky, your larger-than-life attitude and un.stoppable spirit rubbed some people the wrong way, what do you have to say about that?"
Silky, wearing a sequin tube sock stretched over her entire body: "RU I'M GONNA FIGHT ALL THEM HOES I KNOW I GOTTA loving LIPSYNC FOR THE CROWN SO IM GONNA loving LIPSYNC FOR THE CROWN I GAVE IT ME AND IM GONNA KEEP GIVING IT ME AINT NO TALENTLESS HOES UP IN HERE BUT ALL YALL BITCHES"
Ru, in the exact same tone of voice as before: "Wow!"

curiousTerminal fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 28, 2019

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDiXxyb5jUQ

Why was this song playing during the Brooke slapping Nina part of the mini challenge. What.

[trans flag gets eliminated]
Oh. Welp. I guess there goes my one reason to watch this season.
Wake me up when Silky wins, I guess.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Honestly unless Silky goes home next week I think I'm done watching this season. She's so viscerally unpleasant to watch and the remaining queens aren't worth suffering her like I thought Nina was.
Like, I don't mean for every post in here to just be dumping on Silky but. drat. She's not even a fun villain like Phi Phi or Roxxxy was, I don't root for her to go down to see someone else win, I root for her to go down so I can stop seeing her. She's draining and mean spirited and childish and she doesn't even have the performance skills to back it up!!

Looked at the spoilers: yep. Not watching next week. I know it's only two episodes but I sincerely do not want to watch them. Uuuuuuuuuuuugh.

curiousTerminal fucked around with this message at 08:26 on May 13, 2019

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

I mean, if we're gonna talk Eurovision in the Drag thread, we may as well link the most culturally relevant video ever made and no I will not be accepting other suggestions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfjHJneVonE

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Ru trying to drag uncomfortable answers regarding a clearly fresh and open would re: Branjie really loving soured my mood during this reunion, holy poo poo. How is it every single reunion in this new old format Ru does some bullshit that brings it down.

That cutaway to Plastique DESPERATELY trying to keep her poo poo together with Ariel was loving excellent.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Ru I swear to god if I have to watch one more commercial break I am rioting, I am an old man who needs to go to bed i have work in the morning

That said, long live Vanjie and that "box 96" thing sent me.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

The correct decision, also holy gently caress Yvie's mind. I am so ready to see what she can do with all this winner money.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

I need someone to do an obvious reveal like Brooke did, but before the lipsync even starts they need to tell Ru to hold on, do the reveal then, and then do the song without fumbling for a reveal.
Stop the loving reveals!!!!!!! If the garment is built to be taken off to reveal a garment built to be hidden they're both going to look bad!
Imagine if Violet on season 8 had built a reveal into her finale costume and revealed a worse version of the costume that didn't go with her makeup or the remaining clothing. This is what all reveals are. It was good when Roxxxy did it with the longer wig under the shorter wig, it was good when Sasha did it with the rose petals, it was good when Monet took off a wig to reveal a second identical wig underneath the first wig, and it was good when Yvie did it with the careful dancing to not show off the back of the headpiece, which was built into the look in the first place. Reveals are done now, we've gotten all the good ones.

Okay I'm done rambling about reveals now.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Literally the first queen to walk out with a breastplate on episode 1 of AS5.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Pinwiz11 posted:

Considering the injuries, I could live if it never came back.

Think of Madame LaQueer's onkle.....

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

I dunno, I'd be interested to see how some of the early-outs or coasters have improved their game since their seasons.
While writing that sentence i had in mind Jiggly (who may or may not even want to do it) and Dida.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Michelle Visage was on an episode of Game Grumps today with her daughter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTiKaM6ARLc&t=2086s

They spend the whole video kinda interrupting themselves because it's Game Grumps, but Michelle talks about Dan and Arin's early lives in Jersey/Florida (respectively) and her own in both of those places doing radio. She also talks about her not being on Drag Race for the first 2 seasons because of her homophobic boss, which we knew. She drops something new to me at least that she was actually fired midway through filming season 3 (she says 4 but she namedrops Chloe Sevigny who guest judged on Season 3). They interrupt that and start talking about the Gay Acceptance Climate before she finishes telling that story.
Not quite done but if you can deal with Viva Pinata occasionally sidelining some real cool conversations, give this an hour of your life.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

She never actually said. Obviously it didn't hold, since she's a staple of the show and has been since that season, but I guess they didn't think season 3 was going as well as season 2 and might have wanted Merle back? Impossible for anyone but her to say.
Said story starts somewhere soon after the 30 minute mark.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/eric_shorey/status/1167832077531799553

Okay, I've found my act for when I become a drag queen in like 30 years. Lipsyncing to instrumental Nintendo menu music.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Apparently Farrah knows the designer who made it for Ariana, who's team approached said designer asking for that outfit, with some modifications to make her able to lay down in it. Farrah has known for a while but didn't care too much until Ariana decided to sue over it.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Pan Dulce posted:

Man, I'm watching Season 6 again and reminded of just how unfair it all was. From telling Milk to change, then kicking her out when she wasn't the worst and followed directions the week she did change for Darienne Lake to having this weird producer shade going on for Ben De La Creme and Michelle Visage basically coming for him every week with some new different bullshit that made no sense. Ugh. Also they were seriously trying to play Courtney Act as a villain for some of the competition and it was weird.

Ben has said before that the frustration from Darienne regarding her "big head" was justified, but that they edited out most of Ben's gloating. Everything else though, yeah. That, plus the exploitative "laganga is clearly not mentally fit for this and unmedicated to boot let's milk the poo poo out of that for drama points" and the mini challenge that shall not be named has season 6 leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

I've been watching UK with one of my friends so I'm an episode behind currently, but my literal first thought with Blu's Weird Science look was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW1e7W9H2Lw