Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Bored posted:

Here's another mischievous female octopus. The keeper has great stories about her.

https://youtu.be/WPAQgNMWT3s

Wanna play with that octopus so bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

In the top image, I think she was shakin' down some roommates for their lunch money. At least, I think that's what caused the keeper to regale us with the reason the aquarium had to move in more aggressive sea stars: because Gilligan would flip the meaker, slower sea stars, who lived in her aquarium when she arrived, over to steal their food before she would consider eating her own food.

I also learned that octopuses do not defacate in their dens from that video. They leave the house to crap.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).
Oh poo poo, I didn't realize that was your video. That's awesome! I've never been that close to a giant pacific octopus.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Oh poo poo, I didn't realize that was your video. That's awesome! I've never been that close to a giant pacific octopus.

Not my video. I have no affiliation with either off the parties. I just think that's a great video and Gilligan is hilarious.

Edit: well poo poo. Gilligan has laid her unfertilized eggs and will be dying soon. has likely died by now. There are some great videos of her from some of the aquarium guests.

https://m.facebook.com/AquariumofthePacific/photos/a.104721621805/10156053916826806/?type=3#_=_

Bored fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jan 17, 2020

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

Bored posted:

Not my video. I have no affiliation with either off the parties. I just think that's a great video and Gilligan is hilarious.

Edit: well poo poo. Gilligan has laid her unfertilized eggs and will be dying soon. has likely died by now. There are some great videos of her from some of the aquarium guests.

https://m.facebook.com/AquariumofthePacific/photos/a.104721621805/10156053916826806/?type=3#_=_

Oops, I misread that. Oh well, it's still a great video, so thanks!

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the short octopus life span and death upon reproduction is one of the cruelest jokes in all of nature. If they lived lives as long as we do, they would rule the world.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Oops, I misread that. Oh well, it's still a great video, so thanks!

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the short octopus life span and death upon reproduction is one of the cruelest jokes in all of nature. If they lived lives as long as we do, they would rule the world.

I haven't slept much in the last few days, so it definitely looks like I'm talking as if I'm the dude in that video instead of recapping things I thought were neat.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

https://youtu.be/hK1YophTAnM

Mess with the bull octopus, you get the horns it steals your poo poo.

https://youtu.be/GoTk5WofgoE
That shark never would have found the octopus if those fish weren't all," she's over here!"

Bored fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 19, 2020

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The octopus thread meets the crab thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFda1MZ54G4

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
octopus are fun because they seem very smart to us but then they dont have the ability to remember where their limbs were previously placed or some weird poo poo like that

what a bizarre creature. also it has a beak lmao wtf?? nature u wildin

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
its that they cant tell where they are currently without seeing them or something like that

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

The zoo here had an octopus who was named Egg McMuffin, but he died in December. they got a new one, and they named her Mini Muffin :3

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I had no idea Octopi could be Lovecraftian (more than normal.)

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I'm gonna print this out and stick it on my wall. I've been wrongly referring to octopus appendages interchangeably as both arms and tentacles for decades!

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Dont Touch ME posted:

Fun octopus fact: they don't have stereognosis! An octopus has no "mental map" of how its arms are positioned, and cannot identify something by feeling it. Imagine what it would be like if your only mental map of your body was if your arms/fingers were bent or extended. You don't know if they're crossed, or really the spatial ordering without looking at them. That's the life of an octopus.

I highly recommend everyone in here read the book Children of Ruin, although you'll need to read Children of Time first. I might have already posted this a while back though.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

violent sex idiot posted:

its that they cant tell where they are currently without seeing them or something like that

That's pretty much it, and also that their fine limb control is semi-autonomous so it'd be like if you could consciously move your arms and hands but your fingers just kinda wormed around by themselves until they finally grabbed whatever you were trying to reach. And if you could only tell what an object felt like and weighed by touching it, but not its overall shape or orientation to your body unless you were looking at it. It seems super weird to us but most of the octopus's motor control neurons are located in the arms themselves instead of the brain so they literally don't know what they're missing.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Gutter Phoenix posted:

I'm gonna print this out and stick it on my wall. I've been wrongly referring to octopus appendages interchangeably as both arms and tentacles for decades!

NO PEEKSHARS

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Thank you

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

You're welcome!

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

How much octopus are you? If it's something ridiculous like 1/32 you don't get to speak for them!

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

For the Switch users here Splatoon 2 is having a free demo weekend and I regret not trying it sooner. Being a squid kid is so much fun.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Coxswain Balls posted:

For the Switch users here Splatoon 2 is having a free demo weekend and I regret not trying it sooner. Being a squid kid is so much fun.

If you buy the game and Octo Expansion you can be an octopus kid too.

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Hahah get hosed on stupid diver.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I also did not know what a tentacle was.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i love all the new content every time this appears on page 1 of gbs after not seeing it for a while

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Ugggggh I like where I am now but I wish I was closer to the sea to hang out with rad bloopers in person like that.

GAYIDS
May 3, 2020

by Pragmatica
Octopuses are good, especially when marinaded in delicious hot sauce at a kbbq place

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

GAYIDS posted:

Octopuses are good, especially when marinaded in delicious hot sauce at a kbbq place

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Monterey Bay seems pretty cool, wish I lived close enough to visit.

Also that I could leave my house without dressing for biosafety level 3

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

It really is an absolutely amazing aquarium

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

quote:

The deepest known sighting of an octopus has been captured on film, more than a mile deeper than the previous reliable sighting.

The observations of the creature, captured at almost 4.3 miles down in the Indian Ocean using lander machines -- autonomous camera systems that are released from a ship and sink to the bottom of the ocean -- are thought to be the deepest octopus sightings ever filmed.

Researchers believe the creature is likely to be a new species of Grimpoteuthis, or "Dumbo octopus," a genus of deep-sea umbrella octopuses named for their fins, which resemble the ears of Disney's cartoon elephant.

Over the course of a year and a half, as part of the Five Deeps Expedition, scientists visited the world's deepest places.

Marine ecologist Alan Jamieson, who led the team that made the discovery, told CNN that having completed more than 100 dives, the team had an idea of what types of wildlife, including fish and crustaceans, they would observe on the sea bed -- but they were shocked when they spotted the octopus.

During the dive last April, he said, "as usual, we filmed much of the same stuff, but then suddenly in the middle of a dive about close to 6,000 meters this Dumbo octopus just flies by the camera."

"Then two days later, we're doing it slightly deeper, at 7,000 meters, and the camera's only on the sea floor for four minutes. And this thing just comes out of the darkness, which just crawled up to the cameras -- another Dumbo octopus," Jamieson, CEO of deep sea exploration company Armatus Oceanic, told CNN.

Experts observed the animals -- which were 17 and 14 inches long, at 5,760 and 6,957 meters deep (3.6 to 4.3 miles deep) in the ocean -- as they "hopped" from place to place on the seabed, and reported the new findings in the science journal Marine Biology.

Jamieson said the new depth extended the deepest reliable record of the octopus, giving us an insight into what the creatures get up to deep on the ocean floor.

"It shows that are still surprises to be made with big animals. Quite often you hear about new species and they tend to be tiny worms and small crustaceans," he said, adding: "This is a great big octopus."

Jamieson told CNN that he hoped the discovery would challenge people's perceptions of deep sea creatures, which are often thought of as scary and strange monsters.
"I like the fact that it challenges people's perceptions about what deep sea animals look like," he said.

"This is just a cute little octopus doing what octopuses do. There's nothing particularly weird about it. So hopefully, people might feel a greater attachment to the really deep waters as opposed to the scary, horrible, weird environment that it's made out to be," he said.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/29/world/deepest-octopus-intl-scli-scn/index.html

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I want to be an octopus in my next life

Ramen Pride!
Jan 13, 2001

The Protagonist posted:

The story of fugly really resonated with me. Just imagining his satisfaction at scaring his tormentors away, only to be bound and determined to retrieve his one most valued thing and go on a suicide mission, and grasp it before he expired...

Oh it's killing me man. Where were you goon, fugly needed you :cry:

Awwww. I went to the Grandfather Mountain Highland games for that weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Octo-PISS is stored in the mesopelagic-sphere