Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Bust Rodd posted:

Weird Al is a national treasure and if gets revealed to be a Jimmy Saville I’m gonna tie a rock to my foot and sink to the Mariana Trench

Same

I lost Bill Cosby and Michael Jackson, Weird Al is the other third of my innocent youth and if he turns out to be a perv I'll just lose it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
I’m meeting Weird Al on July somethingth. I’m looking forward to it. I hope he’s a good guy and nice to his fans. Everything I’ve read says he is.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I’m meeting Weird Al on July somethingth. I’m looking forward to it. I hope he’s a good guy and nice to his fans. Everything I’ve read says he is.

Yeah, I've never heard of him being a jerk.

If it came out that he was a Bad Dude, it would crush me. Silly as it sounds, his work has been a cornerstone in my life.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

He's in the entertainment industry - they're all guilty. Of collaboration at the very least :smith:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
An older one but I still love it...

Siemens Germany tried to trademark a Zyklon-branded line of gas ovens in 2002.

quote:

A year ago, Bosch Siemens Hausgeraete (BSH), the firm's consumer products joint venture, filed two applications with the US Patent & Trademark Office for the Zyklon name across a range of home products, including gas ovens.

Jewish groups have condemned the move, in particular because Siemens used slave labour during the Nazi period.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Does Zyklon have any meaning other than death gas?

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

RandomPauI posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GVEFdHgnuk

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

RandomPauI posted:

It’s “cyclone”, the storm.

Same thing as a hurricane or typhoon.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm going to assume it's a line of convection ovens because that would at least explain the wind thing.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Fuhrer just means leader, but it's still a very touchy word because of its connotations. You gotta be really careful about context and, most of the time, sense of humor of your conversational partner before you call someone fuhrer.
Don't think it's any different for Zyklon, especially if it's being used for an oven.

E: For instance, calling a wind machine Zyklon would get a lot less outrage, but people would still not be happy with the name.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
With common words like leader or cyclone that became infamously associated like that, did they shift to a different thesaurus word after WW2 to avoid saying them?

Just got me thinking, do they show Ricky and Bullwinkle in Germany and how do they translate Fearless Leader?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
No, it’s just that probably dozens of German people saw “Zyklon” on top of an oven and it didn’t occur to them “whoa, hey, uh whoa, this... that’s not great.”

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
the Zyklon B was used in the showers.

the ovens were just ovens.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tC59AH50kRA

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I'm just surprised Nintendo hasn't hosed up and accidentally put out a gas or wind-based pokemon named Zyklonus or something similar.

Burnt Dick
May 3, 2018

Twelve Batmans posted:

I'm just surprised Nintendo hasn't hosed up and accidentally put out a gas or wind-based pokemon named Zyklonus or something similar.

As if they would do that. Oh, wait

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

MarcusSA posted:

I’m going to guess so because they are still using the beats and tune from the track.

Weird Al re-records all the music he uses.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Sometimes with the same session musicians that contributed to the original track! :kimchi:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Weird Al parodying your song is a guaranteed ‘nother couple thousand downloads on iTunes or YouTube views of your original, no one has ever lost money because Weird Al parodied them. It should rightfully be an honor to be chosen.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Weird Al is a national treasure and if gets revealed to be a Jimmy Saville I’m gonna tie a rock to my foot and sink to the Mariana Trench

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Bust Rodd posted:

My big aww gently caress no moment was Rolf Harris

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

MarcusSA posted:

I’m going to guess so because they are still using the beats and tune from the track.

It's this, even if it's rerecorded because the original artist still wrote it, thus it belongs to them. It's the same reason why musicians that use really similar chords and melodies to older songs end up being sued for royalties.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Al gives songwriting credits to the original writers, and probably would even if it weren't required.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Wouldn’t weird al be exempt because of parody though?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
His lyrics are the parody, the music is not.

Edit: I remember an interview from like ‘97 where he said that working with Michael Jackson’s music made him an expert on it because MJ basically had the most redundantly serious lawyers on the planet. He also learned that his polka versions don’t violate most of those lines which is why he loves making them.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Bust Rodd posted:

He also learned that his polka versions don’t violate most of those lines which is why he loves making them.

I think that's because the arrangement is his? Like how J. Coulton was upset that Glee just copied his version of Baby Got Back completely?

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Harveygod posted:

I still do. I refuse to pay for more than 2 streaming services.

I suppose there's also the fact that with DVDs, Netflix can freely offer whatever they can get their hands on, instead of having to negotiate distribution rights and place themselves at the studios' mercy.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Al's polkas are my favorite

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Cockmaster posted:

I suppose there's also the fact that with DVDs, Netflix can freely offer whatever they can get their hands on, instead of having to negotiate distribution rights and place themselves at the studios' mercy.

They should set up a bunch of DVD players with all their rental DVDs. Then whenever someone wants to watch a movie it spins up there player and streams the video to whoever ordered it.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Rutibex posted:

They should set up a bunch of DVD players with all their rental DVDs. Then whenever someone wants to watch a movie it spins up there player and streams the video to whoever ordered it.

This is literally how early on-demand video was supposed to work, only with warehouses full of VHS tapes and robot arms.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Aero tried that with microantennaes for on-demand OTA broadcasts and got sued into the stone age.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

Aero tried that with microantennaes for on-demand OTA broadcasts and got sued into the stone age.

I thought they (or the other similar service) won but went bankrupt ?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Splicer posted:

My big aww gently caress no moment was Rolf Harris

Weren't people joking about him being creepy for years?

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Partycat posted:

I thought they (or the other similar service) won but went bankrupt ?

yeah that's basically what happened; they won the lawsuit but the time & money spent fighting it meant they were sunk despite having the legal support to proceed

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
... and netflix has godlike amounts of money for some reason

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Bust Rodd posted:

Weird Al Yankovic is a monster. Why, here is a picture of him with a dead hooker.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

BrigadierSensible posted:

Weird Al Yankovic is a monster. Why, here is a picture of him with a dead hooker.

:stonk:

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome

Bust Rodd posted:

This is essentially my nightmare. Weird Al, David Byrne, any of the guys from Rush, it would just prove we're living in hellworld. I mean I know we're living in hellworld but it would just be so much worse.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
e: on reflection this could be badly misread

Splicer fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Apr 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

Local Weather posted:

This is essentially my nightmare. Weird Al, David Byrne, any of the guys from Rush, it would just prove we're living in hellworld. I mean I know we're living in hellworld but it would just be so much worse.

I think we're safe with David Byrne:

https://twitter.com/darren_cullen/status/1102764713270759424?s=19