Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

If we’re doing politicians it’s real hard to beat W’s carrier landing and “mission accomplished” banner but yeah the thread will be better if we stay away from political gaffes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Just drop it or this thread will start talking about 2016 and all hell will break loose.

Here, have a sad one:

quote:

In 2007, a radio station held a "hold your wee for a Wii" contest in which people competed to see who could drink the most water without using a bathroom.

The next day, contest participant Jennifer Strange, 28, was found dead in her home. She had died of water intoxication.

Strange reportedly competed to win the Wii for her children.

I remember hearing about this one including doctors/nurse calling into the show live telling them they are going to kill some one.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!
American Apparel's Hurricane Sandy sale. You know, in case you're bored during the storm. #sandysale

Worf
Sep 12, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
That's a really sad way to die

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRWSE3w9i5U

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Holy poo poo lol. :negative:

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

Jimi Heselden, the owner of Segway dies in 2010 when he falls off a cliff while riding a Segway.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
That time that the airline I wanna say American but I dont remember tweeted out an extremely NSFW picture of a lady shoving one of their model planes into her privates was pretty dang funny

Manky Tungeon
Jun 11, 2018

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Didn't Benetton used to have some super edgy poo poo. Seems like they were always in the news a long time ago.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
holy gently caress that isnt real is it?

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

There was a Canadian hockey team that did an almost identical thing, with almost identical results.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Bill Cosby Twitter asking people to meme him was also definitely a well thought out plan

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

When you automate your PR.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Nooner posted:

holy gently caress that isnt real is it?

https://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2014/11/13/7218461/patriots-try-to-thank-all-their-fans-create-twitter-nightmare

It's real :laffo:

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

It's almost as if 50-something ad executives are completely out of touch with the youth markets they're charged with targeting:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

It's almost as if 50-something ad executives are completely out of touch with the youth markets they're charged with targeting:

This one is genius and in touch though

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

If only they had done a full commercial with that man loving the hamburger.

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

big nipples big life posted:

If only they had done a full commercial with that man loving the hamburger.
Imagine being that guy and having “hosed Hamburger” on your resume.

limpy wimpy
Jul 1, 2007

a peck of pickled peckers posted:

Imagine being that guy and having “hosed Hamburger” on your resume.

Cant be as bad as the actors having to put down "Herpes sufferer #1" or "stared in a commercial about anal lesions medication"

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
That Twitter account ran by an intelligent AI that dynamically learned from users to showcase a new technology became racist and sexist wthin a day

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Dre2Dee2 posted:

That Twitter account ran by an intelligent AI that dynamically learned from users to showcase a new technology became racist and sexist wthin a day

lmao, Tay was some top tier not understanding the internet

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

limpy wimpy posted:

Cant be as bad as the actors having to put down "Herpes sufferer #1" or "stared in a commercial about anal lesions medication"

“I started out as Man Suffering From ED, but once I got my big break as the Hamburger Fucker, I knew I had made it.”

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

big nipples big life posted:

I think the lesson from all this is that video game companies do a really poo poo job of vetting PR hires.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NL50_W_mgU

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
"Everyone, the Three Mile Island partial meltdown is COMPLETELY SAFE for nearby residents.

Expect the pregnant women, they should leave. Kids too."

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Just lol if you think you are smarter than a multi billion industry powered by advanced ai and all the personal data you gave out for free in the last 20 years.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Colonel Cancer posted:

Just lol if you think you are smarter than a multi billion industry powered by advanced ai and all the personal data you gave out for free in the last 20 years.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I dunno if this was really a disaster but BK’s “Whopper Sacrifice” promotion was awesome. If you unfriended 10 people on Facebook, you got a free whopper. Initially I think the people got a message that you had sacrificed them for a whopper, then they got rid of that, and then not long after they got rid of the promotion cause Facebook was pissed. This was in like 2009.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Frazzbo
Feb 2, 2006

Thistle dubh
Way, way back in 1992 Hoover dropped a big one in the UK with a promotion offering free flight tickets to European destinations for the purchase of an appliance. It started off well enough and proved popular, but then they got above themselves and extended it to flights to the US, effectively giving £600-worth of tickets for a purchase outlay of £100. Here's the info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoover_free_flights_promotion

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

Pokémon Go Fest, Chicago 2019. The very definition of poo poo show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFm8SJ0VOaA

I think the best parts are the hosts trying to be all upbeat amidst an openly hostile crowd.

Jay_Zombie fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Feb 28, 2019

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

Also, that whole Fyre festival thing, I guess.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Yeah Fyre festival was a huge disaster, I'm looking forward to part 2.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Frazzbo posted:

Way, way back in 1992 Hoover dropped a big one in the UK with a promotion offering free flight tickets to European destinations for the purchase of an appliance. It started off well enough and proved popular, but then they got above themselves and extended it to flights to the US, effectively giving £600-worth of tickets for a purchase outlay of £100. Here's the info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoover_free_flights_promotion

that reminds me of the guy who saved up enough pepsi points/cut a huge check for a harrier jet

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonard_v._Pepsico,_Inc.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

In 2013, Justine Sacco sent out a tweet before flying from Heathrow to Cape Town to visit family: "“Going to Africa. Hope I don’t get AIDS. Just kidding. I’m white!” At that time she was Senior Director Corporate Communications at a company called IAC. She later said that she was critiquing the bubble of privilege that white Westerners live in, not having to worry about AIDS on such a scale.

In 2015, DraftKings employee Ethan Haskell won $350,000 on FanDuel in one day, which just happened to be the same day he mistakenly posted lineup info from FanDuel on Twitter. To quote AdWeek: "DraftKings and FanDuel posted on their sites an unusual joint statement saying they have no evidence anyone misused information for profit. The statement said nothing is more important than the integrity of the games they offer to customers and that employees with access to data are 'rigorously monitored by internal fraud control teams.'”

quote:

“We operate based on the trust of our players,” FanDuel's Director of Communcations said. “This is not a new issue for us as a company or an industry, and maintaining the integrity of our contests and games is paramount to sustaining and growing our business.”

Guess who FanDuel's Director of Communications was?

Eventually, the DraftKings employee was cleared of wrongdoing as it was found he received that lineup info that he accidentally posted 40 minutes after the rosters were locked, so no way he could have used inside information to win big that day.

And Justine Sacco is back at IAC, this time as Vice President Communications at Match Group (Tinder, OkCupid, Match.com, PlentyofFish and others) per her LinkedIn.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Bold Robot posted:

I dunno if this was really a disaster but BK’s “Whopper Sacrifice” promotion was awesome. If you unfriended 10 people on Facebook, you got a free whopper. Initially I think the people got a message that you had sacrificed them for a whopper, then they got rid of that, and then not long after they got rid of the promotion cause Facebook was pissed. This was in like 2009.

like black mirror but for 5th graders

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It is impossible to fail once you reach a certain level of executive in corporate America

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

https://www.businessinsider.com/the-biggest-corporate-pr-disasters-of-the-decade-2009-12

The second one on this list is a personal favorite

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

It is impossible to fail once you reach a certain level of white male

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

very GBS