Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Oh right, fair enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

venom was fuckin funny

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Not a mutant

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

An X-men movie without wolverine

What a piece of crap!

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

Grem posted:

Not a mutant

:hmmyes:

Although I think in the movie it hinted that the experiments released his latent mutant powers he already had through torture instead of the powers being from the experiments themselves.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

An X-men movie without wolverine

What a piece of crap!

I heard they’re going to cast Timothy dalton as the new wolverine. Not a bad idea imo, he’d have made a good iron man too!

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
As a big X-Men dork growing up, I've wanted the Phoenix saga turned into a movie for so long.

I was practically doing cartwheels during the end of X2.

Then X3 came out and sucked balls and now this looks like it's going to be worse.

Anyways, tl;dr, DREDD is the only good cape flick.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Dredd is fantastic.

I saw into the spiderverse last night and it was good too

I also liked the first two Nolan Batman movies. Ledger's joker is memorable as gently caress.

I think that's about all for me. Guardians of the Galaxy wasn't bad. Idk a lot of them are fun but just basically popcorn flicks I forget about a day later. Which is fine.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Mar 2, 2019

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Kuato posted:

I heard they’re going to cast Timothy dalton as the new wolverine.

I don't do this often, but I misread that as 'Tim Allen' some how and had did an actual double take

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Grem posted:

Not a mutant

He was forcefully mutated

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Without the batshit Savage Land, family tree from the future and also space, alternate reality clones, interplanetary/interdimensional episodic mania, X-Men are just an angsty bunch of whiners. Stop having Jean or Cyclops or whoever the gently caress "finally gain confidence in their powers" and have them get kidnapped by Mojo instead of the U.S. government. Again. Or fight one of their many friends/frenemies. Again. Introduce some villains that are actually fun.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Big Beef City posted:

I always hear that these movies do well, or well enough.
Yet I have never talked to anyone who has ever said they've seen a single one of them in the theater.
I guess maybe Batman or some of the first ones to come out. But just some of these random avenger ones and stuff?

They make most of their money overseas, especially places like China, which is a huge market for superhero movies. I made the mistake of watching Thor: Ragnarok one day and it felt really generic and boring to me. Yet it grossed over $850M worldwide, so maybe I don't know what's good. :shrug:

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Big Beef City posted:

I don't do this often, but I misread that as 'Tim Allen' some how and had did an actual double take

That’d be another solid casting choice imo

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Pawn 17 posted:

They make most of their money overseas, especially places like China, which is a huge market for superhero movies. I made the mistake of watching Thor: Ragnarok one day and it felt really generic and boring to me. Yet it grossed over $850M worldwide, so maybe I don't know what's good. :shrug:

That's true for very bad garbage like X-Men movies that are propped up by the foreign take and don't do nearly as well domestically, but Thor Ragnarok made over $300 million in the US alone so this is a very dumb post. Black Panther made like $700 million domestically and Avengers: Infinity War made close to that too. I'm not even a big Marvel fan and I can tell this is wrong.

Also Thor Ragnarok owned hard and was, by far, the most enjoyable Marvel movie in recent memory. It's like the most 80s rock over-the-top take on the Thor concept. Most of the film doesn't even take place in a traditional Marvel setting and it's hilarious. Tessa Thompson's amazing too.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Mar 3, 2019

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Ragnarok was a quality movie in general, not just as a comic book movie, and it's telling that the nerds that get their panties up in a twist over it are the ones that think Taika Waititi ruined the Thor series with "unnecessary" comedy. The best parts of the original Thor* came from any moment that wasn't played straight po-faced

*Thor 2 does not count as having "best parts" as I've seen it twice and barely remember poo poo about it

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I liked Ragnarok but mostly for Cate Blanchett who felt like she was in a different movie. Ragnarok was weird tonally.

Needed more Blanchett's comedic timing being ace imo

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Sophie Turner is such a bad actor wtf

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

ElectricSheep posted:

Ragnarok was a quality movie in general, not just as a comic book movie, and it's telling that the nerds that get their panties up in a twist over it are the ones that think Taika Waititi ruined the Thor series with "unnecessary" comedy. The best parts of the original Thor* came from any moment that wasn't played straight po-faced

*Thor 2 does not count as having "best parts" as I've seen it twice and barely remember poo poo about it

Yup, the first Thor (don't even talk about the very forgettable second film) was at its best when the movie actually let Chris Hemsworth strut his comedic ability as Thor and play off other characters. But most of the time it was overly serious and lame and really didn't work with the concept. Thor is all about this absurd techno-futuristic Norse society of the gods and the movies should be taking a huge piss out of that... not taking it in a generic direction like Thor is just saving the world in a boring way with boring bad guys like every other Marvel hero.

I really hope Taika Watiti is allowed to direct or consult heavily on every Thor movie going forward, or honestly just direct more silly superhero stuff period because I love his style.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Thor has one of the silliest general superhero concepts anyway. Like he's a norse god, whose also an alien, who's also a superhero? Its just too dumb to play straight even if you've got all these fancy expensive effects to add legitimacy or whatever.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
most of these movies are not 'good' by any metric. people just want to not think for 2 hrs. it's incidental to any measure of quality.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Zane posted:

most of these movies are not 'good' by any metric. people just want to not think for 2 hrs.

Hell I don't need to pay for movie tickets to do that.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Zane posted:

most of these movies are not 'good' by any metric. people just want to not think for 2 hrs. it's incidental to any measure of quality.

If Thor barging into The Hulk's hilariously dumb bachelor pad asking for answers on what's going on with the gladiator society of a junk planet while being bossed around by a Norse warrior cop isn't "good", then I don't really give a poo poo.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

That's true for very bad garbage like X-Men movies that are propped up by the foreign take and don't do nearly as well domestically, but Thor Ragnarok made over $300 million in the US alone so this is a very dumb post. Black Panther made like $700 million domestically and Avengers: Infinity War made close to that too. I'm not even a big Marvel fan and I can tell this is wrong.

Also Thor Ragnarok owned hard and was, by far, the most enjoyable Marvel movie in recent memory. It's like the most 80s rock over-the-top take on the Thor concept. Most of the film doesn't even take place in a traditional Marvel setting and it's hilarious. Tessa Thompson's amazing too.

It made $315m in the US + Canada and $540m abroad, so yes it made most of it's gross outside the US. $115m of that was in China. It had a net profit of $174m, so I think it's fair to say the movie was propped up by foreign take.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Pawn 17 posted:

It made $315m in the US + Canada and $540m abroad, so yes it made most of it's gross outside the US. $115m of that was in China. It had a net profit of $174m, so I think it's fair to say the movie was propped up by foreign take.

X-Men movies make significantly less than anything Marvel these days. X-Men Apocalypse made less than its production budget domestically (it made like $150 million vs. a budget of like $180 million) and nowhere close to Thor Ragnarok, which brought in far more than its production costs domestically. That's the definition of "propped up".

Also like I said, none of the non-Marvel Studios superhero stuff touches or will ever touch Black Panther or an Avengers film, so it's not even worth talking about in the same realm of popularity. The only movies that beat out Black Panther are Avatar (barely) and Star Wars: The Force Awakens and Infinity War is right behind that. People talked about Titanic's box office take never getting surpassed back in the day and Marvel does that yearly.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Mar 3, 2019

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Zane posted:

People don't need these movies for that

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Suicide Swuad won an Oscar lol

Actually, Black Panther did too XD

Superhero movies are dumb fun, but smh at people awarding them prizes

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

Pawn 17 posted:

I made the mistake of watching Thor: Ragnarok one day and it felt really generic and boring to me.

Are you sure Ragnarok was the Thor movie you watched?

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
*Tessa Thompson dry-humps a laser cannon*

*Jeff Goldblum chews the scenery as a mincing cosmic warlord*

Goon: Show me something original for once!

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Kazak posted:

Sophie Turner is such a bad actor wtf

Yeah but she's really pretty :downs:

onedayholiday
Dec 6, 2013

Grimey Drawer
awful

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin920 posted:

Dredd is fantastic.

I saw into the spiderverse last night and it was good too

I also liked the first two Nolan Batman movies. Ledger's joker is memorable as gently caress.

I think that's about all for me. Guardians of the Galaxy wasn't bad. Idk a lot of them are fun but just basically popcorn flicks I forget about a day later. Which is fine.

Sam Raimi Spider-Man 1 and 2 you fool

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Ragnarok was actually watchable unlike the rest of super srs superhero trash

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
i heard xmans apocolypes was utter garbage. like more than your normal garbage. they keep making them so they must make money.

i watched venom though because i like tom hardy. it was mostly bad to ok.

movies make mew ant to be dead

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Damo posted:

i heard xmans apocolypes was utter garbage. like more than your normal garbage. they keep making them so they must make money.

I watched it for free on HBO and was bored after only ~20min

Teik
Mar 2, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
Gene!!!!

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Damo posted:

it was real fuckin bad.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Ultra Carp

Caesar Saladin posted:

yeah it looks awesome

for magneto poop on

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pawn 17 posted:

People will go see whatever is mass advertised and box office sales don't really mean poo poo all imo. Lots of fantastic movies did poo poo at the box office and were only recognized later and whatnot. Citizen Kane is widely considered to be one of the best films ever made and it didn't even break even. The only thing that tells me really is that a lot of people in China are becoming able to afford to go to the movies and thus there is a huge expanding market there.

I didn't even finish Ragnarok, I turned it off and started doing something else sometime during the end battle stuff. The action sequences aren't even that cool because it's just CG video game poo poo idk. I prefer Sean Connery smacking fools around in a 007 movie if I want an action fix and I say that as a 28 year old. There's no loving actual acting involved really and every movie inches closer to just 3d action figure fights.

And frankly DBZ or Dragonball Super has more engaging/meaningful fight scenes. Better choreographed too.

It's felt generic and boring because it is generic and boring. Meant for a global audience and as widely appealing as possible. Designed by committee and expunged of any artistic merit or message just to be a spectacle.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Mar 3, 2019

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Moridin920 posted:

I didn't even finish Ragnarok, I turned it off and started doing something else sometime during the end battle stuff. The action sequences aren't even that cool because it's just CG video game poo poo idk.
you screwed up and also youre paying a ton of attention to the thor/hulk fight that was actually just a short fan service scene

Moridin920 posted:

It's felt generic and boring because it is generic and boring. Meant for a global audience and as widely appealing as possible. Designed by committee and expunged of any artistic merit or message just to be a spectacle.
read this twice and the first line turns out to be self-referential :mnightshyamalan:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Venom was completely average as a movie but I have a massive crush on Tom Hardy and it was nice just watching him get to act all crazy and jump in fishtanks and pour frozen hashbrowns all over his face and yell at his imaginary friend. All alien symbiote fighting stuff was secondary.