Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

The #1 this game has over every other JRPG sequel is Yuri being 100% aware he's already worked his way up to beating a god in fistfight once, and getting a little samused here doesn't change facts. Let alone his highest stat, cockiness.

Also, Nicolai "I totally meant to do that" Conrad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

GimmickMan posted:

Well that's a way to depower a protagonist so he doesn't start the sequel with endgame powerups I guess.

I think I preferred the stylized portraits from the previous game more. Yuri's old design too.

Yeah, the monochrome portraits from SH1 really gave it a certain charm.

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.
Nicolai sliding backwards ten feet on his rear end with his legs up in the air not once, but twice will never not be funny.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
drat sequel powerdown syndrome.
First Samus, now Yuri.
When will it end?

(at least Caim had none of that nonsense)

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

DeafNote posted:

First Samus, now Yuri.
When will it end?

I don't think Caim counts considering he isn't a playable character when he shows up a second time.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

DeafNote posted:

First Samus, now Yuri.
When will it end?

Half the games with level/power up systems. They even lampshaded it in KH3 just recently.

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it

The Dark Id posted:

Hey. That's not how a hostage negotiation works!
Yep. We're just doin' an if-then statement on the state of your head attached to your shoulders.

This game's gonna be anachronistic enough without you throwing in references like that!

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Mokinokaro posted:

Oh man, I forgot all about Lenny.

That big lug [snip]

That's kinda spoilery and doesn't really add anything to the conversation since you can't go into more detail without getting really spoilery.

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013

DeafNote posted:

First Samus, now Yuri.
When will it end?

Not to mention all the times Adol has been subjected to it. Even in some versions of the compilation of the first two in his series. It was 5 minutes between those games! How do you lose all of your gear and levels in 5 minutes!?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Wait, so, Nicolai's whole thing is that he was destined to save the world, but Yuri and friends did it first, so now Nicolai wants to murder Yuri so he can be famous or something? That's super petty. Yuri doesn't appear to have gained anything from saving the world, he's not well known or rich, his one reward was getting to continue to live in a not destroyed world, something Nicolai (and everyone else in the world) also benefits from. Nicolai has lost nothing from not being the one to punch out God other than, apparently, having his ego damaged.

Am I misunderstanding? Or is Nicolai really just that much of an insecure jerk?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Wait, so, Nicolai's whole thing is that he was destined to save the world, but Yuri and friends did it first, so now Nicolai wants to murder Yuri so he can be famous or something? That's super petty. Yuri doesn't appear to have gained anything from saving the world, he's not well known or rich, his one reward was getting to continue to live in a not destroyed world, something Nicolai (and everyone else in the world) also benefits from. Nicolai has lost nothing from not being the one to punch out God other than, apparently, having his ego damaged.

nicolai is the sort of person who goes through life with a permanent existential wedgie

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

I'm looking forward to Yuri giving Nicolai a swirlie.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
nicholai needs to get laid, is what i'm understanding

dude lives in a jrpg world, there are probably otherworldly abominations popping up every other week

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

While I’m taking Nicolas at his word here it’s that combined with the fact that if Yuri (and company) and defeat space god then they’re a threat too.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I'm starting to think that every woman who crosses Yuri's path is literally or figuratively hosed over. Alice was saved god knows how many times and proceeded to get involved in all kinds of stupid bullsit and even took on his curse. Karin was saved and still has to deal with the trauma of her squad getting killed twice over and now is forced to process the betrayal of the churchman who's only been nice to her up until now, and make a conscious decision to help the literal demon shapeshifter that was fighting her army. So not a good day.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Shitenshi posted:

I'm starting to think that every woman who crosses Yuri's path is literally or figuratively hosed over. Alice was saved god knows how many times and proceeded to get involved in all kinds of stupid bullsit and even took on his curse. Karin was saved and still has to deal with the trauma of her squad getting killed twice over and now is forced to process the betrayal of the churchman who's only been nice to her up until now, and make a conscious decision to help the literal demon shapeshifter that was fighting her army. So not a good day.

Heh, for some of us that's just a typical Thursday. :smug:

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde
Is this supposed to mean that Yuri and his friends are widely known and feared for what they did, at least among supernatural people? If not, I'm going to imagine Nicholai as Yuri's sole fanboy, on top of everything else.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Or is Nicolai really just that much of an insecure jerk?

A lot of this, a little of preemptively taking out a threat to Nicolai's evil plan. I don't even remember if he has one or the details, but frankly he's a bishie in a PS/PS2 era jRPG, having an evil plan is a given.

Unrelated observation, of course the little girl from Domremy-la-Pucelle is called Jeanne.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

nicholai needs to get laid, is what i'm understanding

dude lives in a jrpg world, there are probably otherworldly abominations popping up every other week

that's one loophole for getting around the celibacy thing, I guess

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I remember in Tales of Symphonia, Kratos's character profile reads that his loyalty is suspect as soon as you get him, but the real plot twist was just what particular enemy party he is loyal to, which adds a hell of a lot of character development at the same time, and the same rule applies here.

Though Nicolai being slated to be the actual protag of this game while it was being developed and the writers caving into subsequent fan pressure to bring Yuri back when the first screenshots were dropped should make this guy's real affiliations suspect as soon as you get him. I don't think he even has a profile in the instruction manual.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Shitenshi posted:

Though Nicolai being slated to be the actual protag of this game while it was being developed and the writers caving into subsequent fan pressure to bring Yuri back when the first screenshots were dropped should make this guy's real affiliations suspect as soon as you get him. I don't think he even has a profile in the instruction manual.

So that's where his resentment of Yuri for being the real hero comes from. How meta.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Schwartzcough posted:

That's kinda spoilery and doesn't really add anything to the conversation since you can't go into more detail without getting really spoilery.

I don't really think it was spoiling anything but edited to be safe.

Magic Fanatic
Oct 28, 2008

Yuri picked up the Tiger Drop from Komaki at some point, and was more than excited to try it out. It's just a shame that he didn't time it right.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

quote:

Oh hey, it's this crew of kidnapping sentai villain jobbers and the man who could not possibly scream "Mid-Boss" any louder.

: Your new name is Mid-Boss.
: WHAAAAAT?! How can someone as fabulous as me be a mid-boss!?

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Oh god drat it Yuri. We didn't even get to play with your fusions before you hosed it up! drat it man, for a Godslayer you sure suck at not getting hosed up by the "Totally not evil" prettyboy.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Episode VII: Bonfire

Don't worry too much about Yuri exploding like that. It's probably fine. Probably. Let's just move on to something completely different instead.

Jeanne, the little girl that was taken hostage earlier, wanders over to Yuri accompanied by her pet dog goddamn white wolf.

<pulls some food out of her basket> Supper's ready. Mama made it. Here, it's still warm.
Thanks.
Mmm-hmm.

He really likes you, doesn't he?
Yeah, we've been together ever since Papa died.

<uncertain whine>

S-Link Established!

Wow. Up until now, he's never taken food from anyone but me!
Nobody has ever really tried since he's a big wolf and all, but...
<licks chops>

I wonder if they'll come back...
They will.
Because they left soldiers alive in the town?

I wonder what they want with the village, anyway...
<leans back> Hmm.
<pets wolf> Anyway, if they come back, this guy will let us know right away.

Yuri lays down in the grass.

...Yup.

A new party wanders over to the bonfire.

Grandpa!

Jeanne, your mother's worried about you.
Oh.
Don't you have a bedtime or a school night or something like that?
I don't really have a set bedtime and it's a Friday night.
Hmm...

The old man sits by the fire and unscrews the top to his flask.

<knocks back a shot> Mmm... that's good!

<clears the air around her nose> Ooh, that stinks! Are you drinking again?!
Is it a day that ends with "Y"? I only drink on those days.
I told you it was Friday.
There you go!

Heh heh. Don't be so hard on me. This is my one true pleasure.
Hmph!

Yuri sits back up.

Well, better get to bed. Your mom's waiting for you.
You don't want her mad because you came home smelling like booze again, do ya?
O-okay.

Jeanne grabs her basket and gets up with her wolf buddy.

Goodnight Yuri, Goodnight Grandpa.
G'night.
I'll see you in the morning.

The two depart.

You too. Shouldn't you be turning in soon?
Hehe. After I have a few more drinks. Hmm...

Pounding shots out of a flask by a pleasant night campfire dressed like some manner of leprechaun pimp. This old man knows how to live out his twilight years.

Lemme see that.
<stops drinking and considers> Hmm...?

Ehh... Just a little sip.

Yuri proceeds to fuckin' pound the rest of that flask. The old man is not pleased by this calamity.

Eh? Hey! Hey!! HEY!! G-gimme that back! Gimme!

Oh!!
<desperately tries to coax another drop out of the flask> Ugh... I can't believe it... Ngh... ohh... UGH!
Ahhhh... That's good!
Ugh... Wonderful, that's...

Say, how long are you planning on staying in this village, anyway, eh?
<stretches> ...Hmm. I'm not really sure.
Never been really a plan for the future sorta guy unless some voice is yelling junk into my head. And I do NOT wanna go back to that...
What about you? How long are you gonna stick with me?
...Hmm. I'm not really sure either. Hmph.
Lazy old bum.

We get a quick flash of just how long the old man and Yuri have been hanging out together. It... wasn't very long after Shadow Hearts 1 ended...

They're gonna keep coming back. No matter how much you beat 'em. They always do.
Yup.
This war's not over by a long shot.
This war is different. It's some kinda... tremendous or I dunno, maybe even global war. I'm sure they'll think of a proper name for it someday.
Mmm-hmm.

We need...
A safer place to stay.
That's right.
There is no safe place. Not around here. You know that, don't you?
That's why I'm staying right here. I'll protect this village until I die.
What's with you?
Eh?
It sounds to me you're just looking for a place to die.
Well, you're wrong. I don't plan on throwing my life away, old timer, if that's what you're thinking!
Is that so?
Tch. I punched out a god once. I think I can handle a few more waves of guys with rifles and bayonets.
Oh yeah? You gonna kick over a tank next if those roll in?
The hell is a "tank"? Pfft... Whatever, I'm sure it's a few notches below space god.
Maybe.

Yuri stands up.

Besides, my life isn't my own, anyway.

This life of mine was given to me by her...

Uhh... Yuri. I know you're busy stargazing and thinking fondly about the departed Alice and all. But you may want to pay attention to the fact you're slowly slipping into the abyss...

Hmm...

Huh...? HUH!?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!

I know you're eager to help. But you've got to watch your footing in the nightmare dimension. You may just trip over...

Oh no! Wolf buddy! And we'd just established an S-Link with him.

Gah!

Either Amon got smaller in the transition from CGI Zone to in-game or Jeanne is just a big kid for her age.

Welp. Make a note. There's your unfortunate LP tradition of dead children down at the seventh update mark.

<takes a deep breath>
OK. Don't freak out. Don't freak out...

<FREAKS OUT A LOT>

AAAAAAAHHH!!
...Huh?

Wolves can sense when you have surreal nightmare sequences alluding to their death and will react accordingly.

...?

The old man from Yuri's flashback wanders onto the scene. Yuri attempts to stand but weakly falls back to kneeling.

<points to Yuri> We can't go back.
Don't worry about it...
I'm fine living in a cave now. This is all fine...

I barely managed to pull you out of that light in time! You can hardly walk!
<grunts>
I can walk just fine.
Oh yeah? Well get up and let's go.
<groans> You know... Just gonna rest my legs for a few minutes.
Uh-huh...

What happened to the village?
The soldiers came and took the villagers away.
Well, not the first batch of soldiers. They were all dead. Another one came... I think... There was a lot going on getting you two out of there.
No...!

Yuri stands up.

Can you walk? We can't stay here.
I'm feeling better...
I don't have a good feeling about my current experience level though...
<pats Yuri's back> Don't push yourself. You barely even survived. You're a lucky man.

We'll head for Paris through the woods. I've got an apartment there.
I used to take fine bitches there all the time back in my youth. Oh, those were the days...
Oops. Sorry! I'm sure you're a lovely young lady.

B-but...
If they find you, they'll kill you too. Miss, umm... err...
Karin.

<nods> Hmm. I'm Gepetto the Puppeteer. This here is Yuri.
<groan> Yo.

First you have to think about surviving. Right? Hmm?
Or you can live in this cave. I wouldn't recommend it. It'd probably get lonely. The wolf is coming with us, you see.
<nods>

Karin stands up and tries to help Yuri. But our rude hero is having none of that.

<pulls arm away> I'm fine! I told you I feel all right now.
Just gotta walk it off or punch the source a few times. It's not a problem...

Hmph... That Mistletoe... Hmm... We'd better try to figure out what kind of curse it put on you. Hmph. Yeah...
Kids these days and their curses. I swear...

Sapientes Gladio, huh...?

Not even a full year since Alice Elliot sacrificed herself to save Yuri from a curse and this loving guy turns around and gets another full-blown curse. This ain't a good look, Yuri. This ain't a good look at all.

Video: Episode 7 Cutscenes

Yuri Volte Hyuga Render - Are those cuffs growing...?

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Mar 17, 2019

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
That so-called Holy Mistletoe caused the pendant to go from a pure clear blue to a full Malice blood red. The light element in this game is now firmly in the realm of evil poo poo that isn't above human sacrifice and whatever else is out there. Which isn't a surprise given all the unholy horrors in the previous game being light element and the literal Inquisition kidnapping Koudelka, but now it's official that the Vatican is your average JRPG corrupt church org harboring all kinds of bad poo poo if it fuels literal hate energy.

The Dark Id posted:

I told you was Friday.

Should be a "today" there between "you" and "was."

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, they said said they were the literal inquisition. however, since they were a bunch of monsters and a single human who later transformed into a monster squatting in an abandoned building, i'm somewhat skeptical of that claim.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Gepetto after Pinocchio left the house "finally, time to get wasted"

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Sapientes Gladio also aren't part of The Vatican.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
We have met one of gaming's best Good Boys.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Kurtofan posted:

Gepetto after Pinocchio left the house "finally, time to get wasted"

Lord knows he needed that.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
At least the magic wooden toys roaming around rural France make more sense now

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Accordion Man posted:

Sapientes Gladio also aren't part of The Vatican.

I was referring more to the Holy Mistletoe itself. You know Nicolai is bad news as soon as you look at his profile and he's described as a heretic disguised as a priest, but that Artifact of Doom was completely on the Pope's turf.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Mar 9, 2019

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Sure, let's take a German Officer with us to Paris in the middle of World War I, what could go wrong?

The Dark Id posted:

I don't really a set bedtime and it's a Friday night.

Missing a "have" between "really" and "a."

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Shitenshi posted:

I was referring more to the Holy Mistletoe itself. You know Nicolai is bad news as soon as you look at his profile and he's described as a heretic disguised as a priest, but that Artifact of Doom was completely on the Pope's turf.

It was under lock and key. Admittedly in a tutorial dungeon, but that's a gameplay conceit. Father Elliot and Father O' Flaherty were both part of the Vatican (and tasked with a relatively important mission to retrieve the Emigre manuscript) and from what we saw they were mostly all right.

The Catholic Church here feels like the Aidios Church from Falcom's Kiseki series: mostly good with a shady enforcement agency that exists because having one is just common sense in a jRPG world.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Point of note: Yuri's neck gem, the one that indicated how much Malice he was accumulating in the first game?

Well...

This is him before the Mistletoe,

and this is after he got it rammed into his chest.

Yeah...

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Speedball posted:

Point of note: Yuri's neck gem, the one that indicated how much Malice he was accumulating in the first game?

Well...

Yeah...

This is the instant after it got rammed into his chest.

Wasting no time.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Speedball posted:

Well...

Yeah...

A bet the Masks are getting a ton of 'your girlfriend died for you' speeches warmed up as we speak.

I mean seriously, how often do those guys get to screw with the same person twice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Does it count as a Tragic Backstory if the player already knows it?