Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
There isn't a lot of time left for Bald Fraud Pep Guardiola to overtake Liverpool, nor for Spurs to bottle it enough to drop out of the CL spots.

The NLD is tomorrow and whatever the Liverpool one is called is the day after!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sprotto
Jul 16, 2017

Its the Merseyside derby op

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Suntoucher posted:

Its the Merseyside derby op

Right yes, apologies.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Gigi Galli posted:

Right yes, apologies.

Also the West London Derby between Fulham and Chelsea.

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

Arsenal are looking good again so I fully expect them to lose against spurs and man u and end up in 6th

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

Looks pretty even apart from city’s extra away game. Hail Satan

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

paddyboat posted:

Looks pretty even apart from city’s extra away game. Hail Satan

It is in Liverpool’s DNA to gently caress up against anyone, but Everton, Spurs and Chelsea are especially big worries for me.

I suspect City are going to snatch it because of squad depth. I also don’t know how many of City’s opponents are going to have anything to play for by the time those matches come around.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
They'll squash Everton, an utterly forgettable team this year, and a shame, I like them

Somehow 9th

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Teams with nothing to play fort sometimes do insane poo poo for the lols. Remember Stoke in Gerrard's last liverpool game giving them a 6-1 hiding.

Live in hope lads

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Byolante posted:

Teams with nothing to play fort sometimes do insane poo poo for the lols. Remember Stoke in Gerrard's last liverpool game giving them a 6-1 hiding.

Live in hope lads
lol neither side in that game had anything to play for except "its Stevie's last game". It was a major sign that Rodgers had lost the support of the team though.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Manchester City have signed *double takes back to article* Mangala on a 1 year contract extension???

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

pik_d posted:

Manchester City have signed *double takes back to article* Mangala on a 1 year contract extension???

Is that an attempt to raise his value a bit for putting him on sale?

Also, as a City fan, how likely do you think a transfer ban will be? I've seen some speculation that City will be doing some heavy transfer business in the next summer in anticipation of a potential ban.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/11/16/manchester-city-facing-one-year-transfer-ban-threat-part-fifa/
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/03/01/pep-guardiola-plots-200m-summer-spending-spree-ahead-manchester/

Gorn Myson posted:

lol neither side in that game had anything to play for except "its Stevie's last game". It was a major sign that Rodgers had lost the support of the team though.

How do you feel about how Gerrard handled that last season? I have mixed feelings. It might not have been all Gerrard's doing, but I felt his midseason announcement felt really badly timed and I think it ended up being a big millstone around the club's neck for the rest of the season.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
They won't eat a ban for the same reason psg won't. France relies on me energy and UEFA do their bit to keep them happy

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

God drat that was extremely good and fun from United yesterday. Those kinds of never give up, never say die last minute comeback wins are bad for the heart but good for the soul.

If they don't give Ole the job, I'll be really upset about it on the Internet.

E: also apparently Alexis has done the ligaments in his knee, which probably means he's played his last game for United. I mean it's a shame for him personally of course, but I can't imagine an injury that would affect United less.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Mar 3, 2019

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
what's up with mark noble having never played internationally beyond youth level

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Parity warning posted:

what's up with mark noble having never played internationally beyond youth level

he's a very adequate premier league player but never anything more. he probably should have had a token cap in a friendly or something by now but its surely too late now

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Bogan Krkic posted:

he's a very adequate premier league player but never anything more. he probably should have had a token cap in a friendly or something by now but its surely too late now

Yeah, but I'm not sure I can think of anyone better recently who hasn't played a single game for England. Even Nugent and Osman got pity caps.

Strawman fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Mar 3, 2019

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

oh yeah, he's def good enough to have had a pity cap or two

hell, cresswell and antonio both got england caps in the good payet season and noble was a real integral part of that side but was never even in discussion

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Der Shovel posted:

E: also apparently Alexis has done the ligaments in his knee, which probably means he's played his last game for United.

I don't see anyone coming in for him with those wages.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
how the gently caress is scott parker in charge of fulham

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Ashley has taken newcastle off the market because nobody could come up with £280m which is what he wanted and he's forcing the club to sign players under 25 again

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Ewar Woowar posted:

I don't see anyone coming in for him with those wages.

Some Chinese club might, but yeah maybe United will have to subsidize his wages. Right now I would imagine an insurance company will be paying for them.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

Byolante posted:

Live in hope lads

It's the fact that they let gerrard score out of pity what kills me.

Wazzerphuk
Feb 9, 2001

Hating Chelsea before it was cool
Winner of the PWM POTM for September
Winner of the PWM POTM for January
Co-Winner of the PWM POTM for March

Eau de MacGowan posted:

how the gently caress is scott parker in charge of fulham

He's the only person left in the world that hasn't had a chance yet

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Jose posted:

he's forcing the club to sign players under 25 again

seems like this is actually a sound long term transfer strategy?

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
In an unreal display of football genius, the great Manchester United at The Theatre of Dreams beat the team currently 17th in the premier league by one goal. Whoa. #legends.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Bogan Krkic posted:

seems like this is actually a sound long term transfer strategy?

It's caused a lot of problems in the past when a manager wanted to sign someone who is 27 and was refused. Benitez had to try really hard to get the club to let him sign rondon even on loan

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Ka0 posted:

It's the fact that they let gerrard score out of pity what kills me.

The video of the defence stop chasing him around the half way line and let him run it in like hes a make a wish kid with terminal cancer was so brutal

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Jose posted:

It's caused a lot of problems in the past when a manager wanted to sign someone who is 27 and was refused. Benitez had to try really hard to get the club to let him sign rondon even on loan

yeah fair enough. benitez isn't a manager famed for liking youth players either i suppose

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

oliwan posted:

In an unreal display of football genius, the great Manchester United at The Theatre of Dreams beat the team currently 17th in the premier league by one goal. Whoa. #legends.

It’s honestly impressive how aggressively bad every single one of your posts is.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Der Shovel posted:

God drat that was extremely good and fun from United yesterday. Those kinds of never give up, never say die last minute comeback wins are bad for the heart but good for the soul.

If they don't give Ole the job, I'll be really upset about it on the Internet.

Honestly, even if we ultimately finish 6th and win nothing, it would be one of the most ridiculous and out-of-touch decisions I've ever seen in football not to keep him on, unless he was suddenly possessed by the ghost of Joe Kinnear and decided to deliberately alienate everyone at the club. And in fairness, that position is still quite possible considering how tight the league positions are and that relying on cup success is always something of a crapshoot even before you have to figure out a way to get three dodgy penalties in a row in Paris. It'd be pretty disappointing considering everything up to now, but there's a concern for me that we're thin on depth and if the first team run themselves into the ground then it's going to start being a case of playing teenagers and wastemen as an obligation, rather than as a courtesy such that your relatives back in Chile don't think that you've died.

The downside to keeping him on is most likely not that major, either. There's no suggestion that he'd be asking for Mourinho money or for a "but you are a winner" length of contract. You could happily put him on a two or three-year rolling deal and be quite comfortable that professionally he's not going to have his head turned by the prospect of a three-month Autumn working holiday in Madrid, and that if he's ultimately not up to standard you could pay him off for less than you pay Fred to turn up to training every day and watch birds fly overhead. And I've been impressed to this point in that he's been good so far not just in getting the players excited to play football, but also he's also shown a lot of really astute tactical work to get results in some of these big games. That gives me some confidence that there's something substantial there, and it's not just all predicated on the idea that Jose Mourinho was slowly morphing into a Portuguese version of Gordon Brown and all the players really needed was a strong fatherly hug, a brand new pack of kinesio tape, and someone to explain in detail why if Graeme Souness had anything of value to add to modern football, he wouldn't have been sat on his arse listening to Jamie Redknapp for the last fifteen years.

In fairness, a good chunk of that tactical development could well have come from bringing Phelan in. He worked directly with Ferguson for a long time with a team that was largely built around an attacking game, and I'd like to hope that you'd take something useful away from that, but at this point I can't see a basis on which one of them would stay and the other go, so as long as you can keep that working team in place, I'm not sure it really matters in the end.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

united are gonna finish above liverpool and im gonna do some real big fuckin lols about it

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

jesus WEP posted:

united are gonna finish above liverpool and im gonna do some real big fuckin lols about it

As amazing as that would be, I don't think even Liverpool can bust/bottle that hard, considering their run in.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
That was loving infuriating.

Losing a 7 point lead by drawing against teams is so annoying to watch. But credit to City, they close out close games which is something we were doing at the start of the season but can't do it now it seems.

I don't think it's over yet but it not being in our hands anymore is not good

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Klopp is busting

https://twitter.com/MiguelDelaney/status/1102279923710996480

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Klopp is one of those people that is only friendly and warm when everything goes their way, and incredibly toxic and spiteful otherwise. It's really the worst kind of personality to have.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

oliwan posted:

Klopp is one of those people that is only friendly and warm when everything goes their way, and incredibly toxic and spiteful otherwise. It's really the worst kind of personality to have.

:ironicat:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Valid as that may be, he's still right about Klopp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

pik_d posted:

Valid as that may be, he's still right about Klopp.

Yeah probably.