Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
my coworker didn’t know what a PDA was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Broken Machine posted:

writing and mailing an actual letter to Sierra for hints

i did that a few times; there was this one puzzle in codename: iceman i couldn't figure out near the end; it was a complicated thing with no real explanation

lol one of my friends is convinced that old adventure games were explicitly designed to be obtuse as gently caress so they could get people to call the 1-900 hint lines and buy the hint books

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

lol one of my friends is convinced that old adventure games were explicitly designed to be obtuse as gently caress so they could get people to call the 1-900 hint lines and buy the hint books

Sierra On-Line 3D adventure games aren't "old" :smugmrgw: / :corsair:

e: The hint books were so that you could get revenue from pirated games, so... kind of.

ee: And it worked.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

lancemantis posted:

photoshop having special tools/features to slice up your website graphics so they would load nicer, since every site had huge image-based sidebars and headers

microsoft frontpage had a tool where you would type in all the various sections of your site (Landing Page, About Me, Cool Stuff, Pix, Funny Stuff) and it would generate image tiles for the menu complete with onhover and onclick variants and wire up all the events for you

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I think it was two things:

1. there's not actually a lot of content in most of those games, so you have to make it pretty hard so there's anything there

2. once you get e-famous for designing adventure games you start huffing your own farts

LucasArts games are basically made to specifically eschew the terrible design decision of sierra games
I seem to remember MicroProse games as being more fun as well

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
Deliberately slowing down every facet of your experience to get 40MB out of a 20MB HDD using DoubleSpace.

Until you got a CD-ROM which meant you could play pirated cut-scene games

and properly fun games:

(I forget which goon was also playing this a couple of years ago, but it was a great throwback).

And there was honest debate about the viability of using a CD-RW for storage instead of a HDD because 750 MB CD's were cheaper.

Also, Mp3's were new and the collective realisation that one ripped CD would hold 12 store bought CD's if you ripped and converted.
This single realization meant we said hello Napster (hi the Seans), emule (lol - still going), Gnutella: morpheus, bearshare, kazaa(Hi Jaan Friis), finally limewire, WASTE (hi again Justin Frankel).

These were finally eclipsed post 90's in 2001 when we finally welcomed Brahm Cohen's work.
:filez:

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

url posted:

Also, Mp3's were new and the collective realisation that one ripped CD would hold 12 store bought CD's if you ripped and converted.
This single realization meant we said hello Napster (hi the Seans), emule (lol - still going), Gnutella: morpheus, bearshare, kazaa(Hi Jaan Friis), finally limewire, WASTE (hi again Justin Frankel).

Audiogalaxy was pretty great.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I kinda miss going to LANs and in the quiet period in the early AM just browsing and leeching people music collections

still have a couple of mis-labelled MP3s from that time period

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

~Coxy posted:

I kinda miss going to LANs and in the quiet period in the early AM just browsing and leeching people music collections

extremely same

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

IrDA

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
red hat linux 6.2

tmesis
Jan 18, 2007

sup holmes
Megamarm

~Coxy posted:

Phish - Gin and Juice.mp3

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I had Primus - Detachable Penis.mp3

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

sweet a gravis pc gamepad, this is gonna make games way better

now to plug it into th....OH GODDAMMIT

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

OH

MY

GOD

I havent thought of that game in forever - only ever had the demo but gently caress, what a demo

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

i'll see your gamepad and raise you a Force Feedback Pro! :black101:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Lysidas posted:

red hat linux 6.2

hey this is for 90s stuff not things that are still currently everywhere

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

i'll see your gamepad and raise you a Force Feedback Pro! :black101:

force feedback joysticks are cool but what about us kb+m players

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

tk posted:

Audiogalaxy was pretty great.

:aaaaa:

How did i forget!

Direct Connect also, with every entry site saying "if you are law enforcement you can't use this service."

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

url posted:

And there was honest debate about the viability of using a CD-RW for storage instead of a HDD because 750 MB CD's were cheaper.

ill cop to this. i used to keep a stack of cdrws that i slowly add to over time when there was a sale, and have to toss occasionally when there was a write error. it was like having a stack of spare drives and I'd stash so much music on them

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

lancemantis posted:

hey this is for 90s stuff not things that are still currently everywhere

oh man i hope you are joking

just to make sure, you know rhl 6.2 != rhel 6.2, right?

because i hope rhl 6.2 (kernel 2.2, predates ssh and ext3) is not currently used 'everywhere' in your experience

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Agile Vector posted:

it was like having a stack of spare drives and I'd stash so many copies of basically the same music on them

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Lysidas posted:

oh man i hope you are joking

just to make sure, you know rhl 6.2 != rhel 6.2, right?

because i hope rhl 6.2 (kernel 2.2, predates ssh and ext3) is not currently used 'everywhere' in your experience

this post is so 90s

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

magazine articles fawning about how linux is going to destroy miKKKro$haft

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

PowerComputing ads

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

putting a towel over your computer or a pillow or anything to dampen the sound of a modem dialing up in the middle of the night when you were supposed to be in bed

ATM0 u n00b

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

~Coxy posted:

im surprised given the way you smell that you have to miss it at all :pram:

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

the 90s was not a great era for logo design

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

:hmmyes:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

florida lan posted:

alienskin was cheap and learning proper channels in big electric cat was HARD

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
early 3d dates so god drat poorly. i can't ever imagine games made in the future to look 3d retro like pixel art is now.. its tragic

the first gran turismo game is abysmal. mario on the other hand is fine

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

florida lan posted:

loleem!

Scope
Jun 6, 2003

Yeah prepare to enter the inside of your computer and steal some icons and blast viruses and pirates

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

echinopsis posted:

mario 64's camera control is unplayably bad by today's standards but that's okay because nobody had tried something like that before and they were still figuring it out

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gran Turismo is fine; I played it a lot only last year.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

echinopsis posted:

early 3d dates so god drat poorly. i can't ever imagine games made in the future to look 3d retro like pixel art is now.. its tragic

it depends strongly on art direction. like, megaman legends still looks nice but it was with low poly characters that made the most out of the platforms limitations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

early 3d can be charming but there’s lots of warts (pop out, jittering and rotating low res textures, view fog, tanky controls etc) but it was fuckin rad at the time