Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
I should have thought this poll through better
Crimes?
Crimes!
[pounds table]
CRIMES! CRIMES! CRIMES!
shoot visari
View Results

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

How many planes can you fit up your butt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

This is one of my favorite tracks in the game right here. Like I'll mention in a future commentary, I really like the trance/techno feel they went with for this game's soundtrack.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Really Pants posted:

Depends on the scale.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Really Pants posted:

How big of a plane are we talking?

Thank you for having me crow, you're a blast to hang with.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 9, 2019

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Let's say MiG-15s.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

To get things back on track, here’s my vote:

Mission 4A: Last Line of Defense FIRST —We need to secure our gains quickly; rescuing the allied forces is doable but not recommended, and chasing after Glepnir has disaster written all over it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cooked Auto posted:

Hooray Viggen. :neckbeard:
That marks of at least all the major SAAB jets at least. Maybe some day we'll see Lansen and Tunnan in game but I highly doubt it.

Never did see the last season of PoI, my interest just kinda ran into the sand after the third one. Might get around to watching it at some point again. Also I hated season 2 Root with a passion.

Fwiw, Root becomes the best part of the show once she gets over her whole “The Machine chose me, I’m special and I worship it like it’s god” thing. There’s a lot of great stuff in the final season and it will forever be a black mark on CBS that they just straight up murdered it... and that they let a rampant sexmonster run their network for over a decade, but still.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Mission 5A Rolling Thunder: We kinda need those tanks to actually do anything. Meanwhile, the Glepnir can wait, and the Port might be able to hold its own long enough for us to save it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
6A, The Midnight Sun. That superweapon is going to cause all kinds of problems if left alone. Best to remove that piece from the board early.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

nine-gear crow posted:

Fwiw, Root becomes the best part of the show once she gets over her whole “The Machine chose me, I’m special and I worship it like it’s god” thing.

Yeah I got to the third season and she was less annoying. Somewhat.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Welcome back to Ace Combat Xi Skies of Incursion.

A naval themed mission this time. Taking place in scenic Challwa, a city that exists for this mission and this mission alone, it seems. We still need to defend the area to avoid Leasath from going around our forces and capturing the capital though.

Also, not sure how the hell they missed the problems with that last line, wow.

This mission centers around keeping landing craft out of the city's port. Three Landing craft get in we lose. The landing craft take a very long time to get to the city though, at least a minute for the first one, as I found out when I tried flying around to see if there was anything interesting about the city (there wasn't).

I actually noticed a HUD button I missed before, the pause button at the top there. Probably not enough to save yourself if you need to calibrate mid-mission on tilt controls, but it does mean you can calibrate mid mission.

The mission is honestly a bit of a turkey shoot, as boats don't have the luxury of hills that block your shots and flight. The Bridge there seems to line up mostly with where the enemy is going, and also provides the only interesting visual element to the stage. Also, you might just recognize that bridge, since I'm pretty sure we literally just saw it in mission 3 of X.

None of the missions in this game are particularly long, so this one is also done and dusted without much issue. All you missed in terms of chatter this time were variants of 'Shoot him down, dammit!' and 'Oh Holy gently caress we're sinking!'.

I tried to get some shots of the city itself, but how they turned out, well...

The city itself is a blurry mess of jpegs on the ground, with a few blocky structures. Hard to see due to draw distance is that the city surrounds a bay that the bridge crosses, fed by a river at the back end. The only neat detail I saw was in that last shot there, a couple of concrete wave breakers, one mostly obscured and underneath my plane due to inopportune timing on my screenshot.

The mission is notable for one major reason though, it uses the same music as the very final mission in X, which I had to replay several times to make sure my ears weren't deceiving me. Its like if there was a mobile game connected to Ace Combat Zero that's set before Cipher goes off to stop some bombers at the start, and in a simple early bop the botes mission you were being called Demon Lord and listening to Zero. Or one connected to 4 and you get called the Ribbon Fighter and Megalith Agnus Dei plays over tank busting. It is really jarring when you notice it.

This time I actually went to hunt down all enemies this time, so we get a complete score screen (minus deck guns, just take down the ship itself instead). Interesting note, difficulty in this game determines the number of enemies in addition to how smart they are, on easy there are only three landing ships total.

Next time, back to Base Sallqa to pull our bosses out of the fire again.

Just pretend there's more blurry city jpegs here, okay?
Challwa

A presumably military naval port city south of Griswall, and at the foot of Mount Nevera. By the time we arrive they have taken enough of a beating that they have no way to defend themselves. Despite this they remain one of the most important Naval facilities to free Aurelia, largely due to the proximity to the capital.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Voting Rolling Thunder

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.

"Here are your orders, Falco Squadron: Eliminate the enemy. Also try to do better and please win."

No wonder Aurelia nearly lost the war in the beginning with upper command that incompetent...

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Let's hit up Mission 4A, Last Line of Defense. Blowing up ground targets is always fun.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

voting Mission 5A Rolling Thunder

gimme some sherry

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
I'm voting for 4A. I figure going 4-5-6 is going to be the best route. :v:

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

I vote Last Line of Defense (4A)

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
Sun Tzu once said: "the three conditions that majorly influence the odds of victory in battle are proper timing, geographical superiority and an Ace Combat Protagonist supported by a ground team with a can-do attitude".

Rolling Thunder!

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013
5A Rolling Thunder seems like the right choice.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
So we're currently at:
    4A Last Line of Defense - 4
    5A Rolling Thunder - 5
    6A The Midnight Sun - 1

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
4A - Last line of defense. Let's make it spicy.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
So it’s looking like a tossup between Rolling Thunder and Last Line of Defence. Today’s your last chance to vote for one or the other, or make a last minute rally for The Midnight Sun.

If we’re still tied by midnight, I’ll let an RNG decide and you get to live with the consequences.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Voting 5A to be tie breaker. I'm owed a lot of beers by a lot of Strangereal ground forces... surely this'll get another one on that bar tally?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

help

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I don't see anything wrong?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

I'm not seeing much of anything. Why did you post a picture of an empty hangar?

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

You know, Crow, most Ace Combat pilots would at least have the dignity to have an anime girl on their plane. Having a pro wrestler skin is just wrong.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Wrestling is just live-action anime.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Every time you use that skin and collide with an enemy, the game should go "DOOT DOOT DOOOOT DEET DOOT DOOT DOOOOOOOOOOT" and the enemy should get sent plummeting to the ground.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Woof, he's not the only one saluting.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.
When do I send over the white with purple flame skins from the PS1 Air Combat?

I know Joint Assault had one but one isn't enough

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kadorhal posted:

When do I send over the white with purple flame skins from the PS1 Air Combat?

I know Joint Assault had one but one isn't enough

That's a default skin for the Typhoon in X. The HD pack by SuperOstrich has an option that includes the Scarface logo too rather than the Aurelian iconography.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

nine-gear crow posted:

The HD pack by SuperOstrich has an option that includes the Scarface logo too

useituseituseituseituseituseit

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kadorhal posted:

useituseituseituseituseituseit

There's a bunch of cool meta-game extra skins that SuperOstritch has included in the pack that aren't in ACX itself and I will be showing them off in some capacity here and there.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Woof!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Rolling Thunder

Tactical Briefing 1
Mission 5A: Rolling Thunder – October 30th, 2020 (Redo)

Overview: Gryphus Squadron is deployed the Stand Canyon to aid in the rescue operation of the Davis tank unit, which has been pinned down in the canyon by Leasath ground forces. Gryphus must secure the area before the Davis unit is wiped out, however, SWBM fire from the Gleipnir at Terminus Island won’t make this an easy task.

Guest Commentator: I am joined for this mission by Estovakian Sympathizer Dr. Snark, who makes a really good case for sending his rear end back Snow Level Hell for Ace Combat 7.

For the redo versions of Mission 5A and 5B by my old buddy Blastinus. Blast, for reasons beyond my ken, decided to screenshot LP Ace Combat Advanced completely blind as a side hustle to the Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies LP, so he is an inescapable part of this LP canon just as much as anyone else. Blast is currently LPing the entire Half-Life game anthology, having completed both Black Mesa (in lieu of the original Half-Life) and Blue Shift at the time of this posting, and is currently working on Opposing Force before moving onto Decay, and eventually Half-Life 2 and its Episode follow ups.

He is filling in for Dr. Snark (who is very much alive at the time of this writing, thank you for your concern) for these videos because when I sent the contact requests out to get the band back together for the redo, I'd forgotten that Snark was only available for contact by a certain platform, which I had completely forgot had a social media component to it. When asked about doing a third run at 5A and 5B just for consistency's sake, Snark replied that he was in this LP enough already. Fear not, he--and Blast--will be back in Ace Combat 7 later this year.

CHOICES, CHOICES

More than any other mission in Part 1, Rolling Thunder is the unambiguous “trap” mission. Each part of the game from here out will have one or more missions that largely result in more net negatives than positives for your run to the finale.

In this case, yes, we have saved the Davis unit, and they will be joining us in Standoff in the Skies at full strength, but… they’re ground unit in an Ace Combat game, what kind of help do you really think they’re gonna be? Also, in rushing to their aid and neglecting our other possible options, this means that Leasath has come in behind us and retaken Port Patterson, thus losing us vital ground we just fought to retake so we have to retake it again in Mission 3B, Captive City, or risk losing our fuel supply for the subsequent missions. Having no fuel means the time you have to complete certain missions is curtailed significantly from what the game normally allots you.

We’ve also blown our one shot at giving the Gleipnir at least a bloody nose, as it retreats out of our reach to Santa Elva following this mission. This means that it will be at full strength for Standoff in the Skies, with its cloaking device, SWBMs and Shock Cannon all fully operational.

See, this is what happens when you let goons decide things…

STAND CANYON

A canyonous desert area of southern Aurelia between Port Patterson and Santa Elva.

The canyon is a major natural resource location for the Federal Republic of Aurelia and a mining complex was established on a large mesa near the center of the crisscrossing ravines. However, since the Leasath invasion, the mine complex has been temporarily abandoned by its workers as the Leasath military commandeered it to serve as an outpost for their forces in the region.

The Stand Canyon area is also one of the multiplayer stages available in Ace Combat X's multiplayer mode, particularly for its Capture the Flag game mode.

APALIS

The namesake of the first of Ace Combat X's proprietary super planes, the XFA-24 Apalis is a genus of small passerine birds in the family Cisticolidae. They are found in forest, woodlands and scrub across most parts of sub-Saharan Africa that feed primarily on insects. The genus was erected by the English naturalist William John Swainson in 1833. The type species is the bar-throated apalis. The name Apalis is from the Ancient Greek hapalos meaning "delicate" or "gentle". There are about 24 species of apalis; the exact number varies according to differing authorities. The African tailorbird and long-billed tailorbird were formerly considered to be apalises but are now often placed either with the tailorbirds (Orthotomus) or in their own genus Artisornis.

The apalis featured in the image is the Chestnut-thoated apalis (Apalis porphyrolaema).

Aircraft featured in Mission 5A: Rolling Thunder

Clearing Mission 3A unlocks the first of Ace Combat X’s local un-super planes, the XFA-24A Apalis. With the exception of Ace Combat 3, whenever a game unveils a completely fictional plane, it is usually an endgame unlock and the most powerful plane in that game. X, however, is more in line with Electrophere, including a small slate of completely fictional and in a few cases very-Electrophere reminiscent planes equipped with COFFIN systems.

The fictional planes on Ace Combat X's roster are also the only ones that can be tuned with parts, thus making their base performance better over time and potentially lifting them up into the realm of super planes with some effort. Which means don't judge the Apalis by fact that we unlock it right at the start of the game. With the right parts loadout, you could very easily take it to the endgame no problem as your primary plane of choice. But it will take some effort to get it there though...

XFA-24A Apalis
Manufacturer: Currently undisclosed manufacturing firm
Role: Experimental Multirole
Manufactured: ????-Present
Primary Operators: Aurelia
Quick Facts:
  • First Project ACES proprietary plane unlocked in Ace Combat X.
  • Based primarily off the Rafale.
  • Also appears in Joint Assault and Skies of Incursion, where it is the default plane of Falco 1.
  • Member of the XFA family, including the XFA-27 Scarface from Ace Combat 2, the XFA-36A Game from Ace Combat 3 and the XFA-33 Fenrir, which we’ll see later.
  • Named after a genus of passerine birds from sub-Saharan Africa known for having small yet slender beaks and long tails, which are useful for swooping and catching insects in mid-flight.
  • Unlocked by completing Mission 3A, Prelude and costs $8,700 credits to purchase.
  • The attract trailer for Ace Combat Xi features the Apalis in the place of the F-22A, but is otherwise identical to the attract trailer from Skies of Deception.
  • The Apalis is considered one of the two canon planes flown by Gryphus 1 (the other begin the Raptor) and the lone canon plane associated with Falco 1.

quote:

"A respectable aircraft in all areas, the Apalis boasts unrivaled expandability."

• Missile x144
  • XAGM x28
  • XMAA x36

Medal: Land Guardian
Awarded for: Completing Mission 5A or 5B with less than 20% damage to allied ground forces on the MPG.
Description: Awarded for keeping allied casualties at Stand Canyon to a minimum.

ICE
  • Plane: F-16C Fighting Falcon
  • Mission 5A
  • Spawn conditions: Destroy 10 TGT units before the Davis unit takes any damage. Spawns in from the northeast.

We'll cover Star Units in detail in their official debut in Captive City, but for now here's this.

★HANGAR
  • Structure: Hangar
  • Mission 5A
  • Spawn conditions: Located in the north east corner of the map beside an antenna. The target does not appear on radar until the player approaches it.
  • Reward Part: Destructive MSSL

Tracks featured in Mission 5A:

DISC X

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 18, 2023

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Guest Commentator: I am joined for this mission by Estovakian Sympathizer Dr. Snark, who makes a really good case for sending his rear end back Snow Level Hell for Ace Combat 7.

Garuda 1 is the real menace! The Chandelier was a Emmerian black ops project meant to demonize Estovakia! Wake up, sheeple! :beck:

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
On the bright side, you have an extra mission now, which means more money, and we all know that the tanks do all the actual dirty work in each war. Also, a REAL ace takes down the enemy super weapons when they're at full power, in glorious single combat.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Welcome back to Ace Combat Xi Skies of Incursion. Today is going to be a quick one, even for this game.

Back to defending Sallqa, because they don't have anyone else who can defend them. The big things here are that Challwa is actually important as a military area, and that we've already lost 60% of Aurelia to the enemy, holy poo poo. Other than that the enemy is pissed and wants to level Sallqa now, which is also bad.

Hey, its a gloomy day now, rather than bright blue skies, so they changed something at least. This mission mixes the first two, defend the base and kill the bombers, nothing new. But apparently losing buildings doesn't actually damage the base? The bomber right in front of me there will hit that building in a second and do nothing to the MPG, so :iiam:.

One of the bombers was acting little strange though. Not sure why it was sticking straight up during a bombing run, but it did. Maybe the pilot was drunk?

Beyond that very little interesting happens this mission. I did realize that the only thing that will actually budge the MPG is a bomber going through the square on the radar there, despite being nowhere near any actual allies. :ms:

Again, didn't bother chasing down all escorts, so there were probably a couple more planes out there. Sallqa is once again safe, and its time for us to move on.

This is the half-way point for Skies of Incursion, and most of the actually interesting parts are ahead. See you next time as we make a brief detour into the bootleg Round Table.

Nothing new to see here, move along please.

I swear, the next mission will beat least somewhat interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

thetruegentleman posted:

On the bright side, you have an extra mission now, which means more money, and we all know that the tanks do all the actual dirty work in each war. Also, a REAL ace takes down the enemy super weapons when they're at full power, in glorious single combat.