Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Darksiders is a puzzle game released in 1995 for the Game Boy, in which the player is given a series of hints describing which cells in a grid should be filled in and - wait, hang on.

*shuffles notes*

Darksiders is an action-adventure game released in January 2010 by Joe Madureira and Vigil Games, published by THQ. It tells the tale of War, one of the four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, whose job it is to keep Heaven and Hell from having a big ol' forever war and ruining everything. With the emergence of Man, a truce is called, with the war set to resume once the Seven Seals are broken. The game opens with the apocalypse in full swing, so War sets out to do his thing, only to find out that the Seven Seals have not been destroyed. Mankind is lost, and it's up to War to figure out what and how it all happened.

On the most basic level, the core gameplay loop is clearly inspired by Zelda with a hint of character-action style combat (Devil May Cry, God of War, etc), but Darksiders is perhaps most infamous for how brazenly it... samples, shall we say, the gaming landscape of the late 2000's. I won't name anything specific so as to ruin the surprises, but suffice to say that the game will suddenly decide "Actually, this is an [insert genre] game now" multiple times over the course of its playtime. It's actually pretty impressive how well it manages to pull together a bunch of unrelated genre pieces and still make it all work, although there are a couple glaring points where it's like "This really does not work even though they're trying so hard." Still! Overall it hits more than it misses, and for a game as derivative as it is, that's a victory in my book.

The LP

Videos will be posted 1-2 times a week according to my whims, with commentary over cutscenes (although we do *mostly* shut up when plot is happening). Joining me (as usual) is my right-hand man, Fedule, who is coming into this completely blind. We'll be joined by our usual cabal of guests as the LP goes on, but it'll generally be the two of us for any given video.

So when's Darksiders 2/3?

:fuckoff: Next question.

Updates

Part 1: I Can't Believe it's Not the Apocalypse!
Part 2: 3aten
Part 3: A Two-Man Industrial Complex
Part 4: Let's Talk About "Zelda-likes"
Part 5: And Now For Something Completely Different
Part 6: It's a Puzzle
Part 7: The Aerodynamics of Darkness
Part 8: This is (Ostensibly) a Church
Part 9: This Looks Suspiciously Like a Sewer
Part 10: Forgive Me, Friend
Part 11: The Black Hammers
Part 12: War - OSHA Inspector
Part 13: I Do Not Think the Pope Would Approve
Part 14: I Empathize Greatly With the Tentacle Monster From Hell
Part 15: And Now War Can Travel Through Time*
Part 16: Don't Mind The Worms
Part 17: The Finest in Demon Engineering
Part 18: He Can't Kill *ALL* of Us
Part 19: Light the Torches
Part 20: It's a Metaphorical Scythe :siren: CW: Arachnophobia :siren:
Part 21: Let's Murder All the Spiders :siren: CW: Arachnophobia :siren:
Part 22: We're In the Video Game Singularity
Part 23: It's a Soul Laser
Part 24: This is Now a Hate LP
Part 25: This is Your Brain on Puzzles
Part 26: A McMansion Made of Skulls
Part 27: And Then War Was a Demon
Part 28: Exploiting a Loophole
Part 29: Unleash Your Inner Sephiroth

Artix fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Aug 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Reserved

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 1: I Can't Believe It's Not the Apocalypse! :siren:

Before we can get to the good stuff, we have to sit through the tutorial. At least they give you a few fun toys to play with before they take them all away.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

I appreciate the movie poster for Eaten 2: Eaten Again. That sounds like the kind of schlocky horror movie that'd be good for a couple hours of turning your brain off.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
How curious. Did war just got punished for war crimes?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Is this the rem--sorry, Warmastered version?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Mordja posted:

Is this the rem--sorry, Warmastered version?

Yes.

E: The differences between the two are negligible with it largely coming down to "does not have horrifying amounts of screen tearing" and a consistent 60 FPS.

Artix fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 1, 2019

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Despite starting it countless times, I've never actually finished this game. So I'm eager to see where this goes.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

This game is confusingly good, given what it is. The sequels show that this was an accident and the devs didn't know how they did it either.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

OutofSight posted:

How curious. Did war just got punished for war crimes?

Doesn't every crime War commit count as a war crime though?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

FoolyCharged posted:

This game is confusingly good, given what it is. The sequels show that this was an accident and the devs didn't know how they did it either.

There are bits wheres its good.
There are bits where its bad.

But theres more good than bad, and the bad is just stuff getting a bit repetitive so the scale is firmly in the 'is good' side.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 2: 3aten :siren:

quote:

Fedule: Look it's the second video, we can't be busting out the four digit numbers yet.

So fun fact! There's an achievement called "Slayer" for killing 666 demons. I have it as of... *checks notes* Episode 9.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

This game has a dedicated Mark Hamill button? Sign me the gently caress up!

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
This is definitely the best of the three.

I love it.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

This game seems to try to ape WH40K in levels of ridiculous grimdarkness, but doesn't quite get it.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
I never noticed how dainty War's jog looks in that first bossfight before.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Honestly I like all 3 games but this is definitely the most put together game.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
This game is good and fun but I cannot for the life of me say the title of it in any other cadence than how "crossfire" is said in this commercial because of how aggressively 90's it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCwn1NTK-50

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

The aethetic is just adorably middle school. I would have hell of drawn War in my notebook in seventh grade. "Okay, so what if there was this, like, totally badass dude, right? He's got an awesome sword with screaming faces on it, he throws dudes into the air and cuts them half with it, and his shoulderpads are bigger than he is. Fuckin awesome, right?"

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

bony tony posted:

The aethetic is just adorably middle school. I would have hell of drawn War in my notebook in seventh grade. "Okay, so what if there was this, like, totally badass dude, right? He's got an awesome sword with screaming faces on it, he throws dudes into the air and cuts them half with it, and his shoulderpads are bigger than he is. Fuckin awesome, right?"
Also known as "WoW art direction" or "every metal album cover ever".
Am I the only one who really likes Darksiders 2? Godawful loot system aside, the gameplay is really solid especially in the platforming segments due to them being straight out of Prince of Persia. The good ones.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Mar 6, 2019

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I like the loot and the general gameplay, it just ran out of things to do halfway through.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Oh hey another Darksiders LP, I remember someone did this years ago and I liked it. Maybe I will actually play along this time?

anilEhilated posted:

Also known as "WoW art direction"

Was just coming here to make this comparison. Over-the-top bulky and edgy, but also really colorful, is very present-day Warcraft (or Blizzard in general) to me.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
The over-the-top grimdarkness and schlocky art style are exactly why I like all three games. The first is definitely the best and they all have their bumpa, but they are legit fun to play and Ive actually called out, "Hahahahahahahaha holy poo poo did you see that!?" to the cat while playing them.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 3: A Two-Man Industrial Complex :siren:

Today we're learning about the complex technique of "Z-Targeting" - you've probably never heard of it before so it's a good idea to pay attention.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Speaking of a WoW aesthetic, War is a dead ringer for Arthas with a red cape. He has the build, the skull-covered sword, the skull-covered armor, the glowing blue eyes, and the long white hair flowing down across both shoulders.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

On the friendly zombie game: A zombie surgeon game where your job is to patch up zombies that keep losing their limbs at work. "This is the third time I've had to put this arm back on Al, be a little more careful around the pistons would you?"

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Cythereal posted:

Speaking of a WoW aesthetic, War is a dead ringer for Arthas with a red cape. He has the build, the skull-covered sword, the skull-covered armor, the glowing blue eyes, and the long white hair flowing down across both shoulders.

At SDCC the year before the first Darksiders was released, I remember seeing Joe Madureira at a design panel where he asked how he came up with the design of War. I wish I remembered exactly what he said, but basically it was that the first design for War happened when he was a teenager and it sort of shifted subtle ways from there but War was always going to look like he was designed by an angsty teenager.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Cythereal posted:

You wanna talk WoW influences, Liam O'Brien is doing his best Illidan-rear end voice for War.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Cythereal posted:

It's Arthas if he were still a Paladin, wearing this set.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

DoubleNegative posted:

You wanna talk WoW influences, Liam O'Brien is doing his best Illidan-rear end voice for War.
Yeah, but to be fair, Bombastic Declamation With Barely Restrained Anger is basically his specialty. Well, that and incoherent yelling. I can't imagine a better voice for this character.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
E: Answered.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Mar 11, 2019

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The way this game uses christian iconography is pretty anime

In that the iconography really has no meaning beyond its use for connotation.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

C-Euro posted:

Is ~the Destroyer~ just supposed to be Satan and they don't want their game referring to him by name every five minutes? Apologies if this is approaching spoiler territory, I honestly don't recall if it's implied or not.
This will be addressed by the plot eventually. That being said, the title is a really obvious clue.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Mar 11, 2019

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

anilEhilated posted:

This will be addressed by the plot eventually. That being said, the title is a really obvious clue.

OK fair, imma go ahead and edit my question out of that post then.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 4: Let's Talk About "Zelda-likes" :siren:

We're going to come back to the well of Zelda-like design multiple times, but for now it's just kind of interesting how few capital-Z Zelda-likes there are out there, considering how big and influential the series is.

Nimpize Adventure thread

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
I know literally nothing about this game series, but it looks pretty charming. Its "middle schooler who kept going but never grew up" aesthetic has won me over the same way Bayonetta's opening cinematic and first level won me over.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

AmiYumi posted:

I know literally nothing about this game series, but it looks pretty charming. Its "middle schooler who kept going but never grew up" aesthetic has won me over the same way Bayonetta's opening cinematic and first level won me over.

The thing about Darksiders 1 is that is has all the immature appeal that incredibly overdesigned comic book characters have without the just... mean-spirited attitude that came along with those designs. Mostly.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Darksiders is dumb, is well aware of how dumb it is, and gives no fucks.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

The upside-down wings on the demons is a neat (and by neat, I mean stupidly-glorious) design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Zelda-like chat is sorely missing the Soul Reaver games. We definitely could use more games of its ilk, and I'm saying that as someone who got bored of every Zelda game I tried in two hours max.