Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Thanks for LPing this, it's a good game even if it's over the top comic grimdark Zelda.

A note on execution kills, you mention in an earlier video that 'you always want to do them because you get more stuff'.

That's not quite true - you get different stuff depending on the enemy.

Like the basic Zombies - you get a few blue souls by killing them normally, but when you grab them you get one blue plus a few green - so unless you need the healing, it's better to sword them to death for more blues.

Similarly the basic enemy soldiers give more yellow souls when executed so if your Wrath's full it's better to sword them.

I'm not sure of the balance but I think you generally get more blue souls for sword kills and green/yellow for executions but it depends on the enemy - executions are part cinematic, part 'I'm being overwhelmed help me' mechanic (due to the i-frames and more combat resources).

I could be entirely wrong on this as it's been ages since I played the game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Kibayasu posted:

The thing about Darksiders 1 is that is has all the immature appeal that incredibly overdesigned comic book characters have without the just... mean-spirited attitude that came along with those designs. Mostly.

Watching this in parallel with the Darkness 2 LP that's happening at the same time shows this really well. Even though the game is apparently less terrible than the comics, it's still edgy and offensive for the sake of being edgy and offensive.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

anilEhilated posted:

Zelda-like chat is sorely missing the Soul Reaver games. We definitely could use more games of its ilk, and I'm saying that as someone who got bored of every Zelda game I tried in two hours max.

I've never actually played the Soul Reaver games. Well, I guess I played some of the first one a while back (and it's a solid 2D Zelda-like experience), but either way the most recent game (Nosgoth aside for many, many reasons) was Defiance in 2003. Which again, just kind of adds to the whole "Why are there no real imitators to Zelda?" question. Mega Man Legends is another one I thought about after we recorded that video, but that was contemporary with Ocarina of Time, which is even further back.

Zark the Damned posted:

Thanks for LPing this, it's a good game even if it's over the top comic grimdark Zelda.

A note on execution kills, you mention in an earlier video that 'you always want to do them because you get more stuff'.

That's not quite true - you get different stuff depending on the enemy.

Like the basic Zombies - you get a few blue souls by killing them normally, but when you grab them you get one blue plus a few green - so unless you need the healing, it's better to sword them to death for more blues.

Similarly the basic enemy soldiers give more yellow souls when executed so if your Wrath's full it's better to sword them.

I'm not sure of the balance but I think you generally get more blue souls for sword kills and green/yellow for executions but it depends on the enemy - executions are part cinematic, part 'I'm being overwhelmed help me' mechanic (due to the i-frames and more combat resources).

I could be entirely wrong on this as it's been ages since I played the game!

You're half right. You do get different rewards overall for execution kills - I don't think any enemies drop health or wrath for regular kills (other than little things like crows and bats which you can instantly kill regardless), so you will ultimately come out with more overall souls if you don't do the finishers. However, the actual number of rewards you get is way less. It's really noticeable on Fire Hands and similar enemies that expect you to use the finisher, and when you don't you get a mass of blue souls that is clearly smaller than the mix of blue/green/yellow you would otherwise get.

Artix fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 12, 2019

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Zeldalikes also include Oceanhorn, which was a nice small handheld-like Zelda that has a sequel theoretically coming out this year

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm not sure where the line between Zeldalike and Metroidvania is drawn, but I certainly have been seeing a lot of indie games of the latter on Steam in the last few years.

Then again, I've only played two Zelda games.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Artix posted:

You're half right. You do get different rewards overall for execution kills - I don't think any enemies drop health or wrath for regular kills (other than little things like crows and bats which you can instantly kill regardless), so you will ultimately come out with more overall souls if you don't do the finishers. However, the actual number of rewards you get is way less. It's really noticeable on Fire Hands and similar enemies that expect you to use the finisher, and when you don't you get a mass of blue souls that is clearly smaller than the mix of blue/green/yellow you would otherwise get.

Basically if you're farming for blue souls or are full on health / wrath depending on the enemy, try not to use executions. Basic soldier type enemies seem to give around 15 blues when killed normally and 10 plus a bunch of yellows when executed. I haven't been able to find any hard numbers on this though, just observations. Executions don't seem to kill enemies much quicker as the animation time is around the same as just slashing them a few more times (which can catch other enemies too), though the iframes can help prevent you getting swarmed (so they're good for emergencies).

You're probably right about some of the tougher big enemies that want you to execute them, they might actually give you more blues. Some testing required :)

Also, did you actually slot the enhancements in that last episode? It looked like you opened the weapon menu and then just closed it again.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

One thing that's been bugging me since this started is that I can't for the life of me remember what the combo meter does. More damage? Weapon exp? Just a for funsies high score? filling an unspecified meter faster?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

FoolyCharged posted:

One thing that's been bugging me since this started is that I can't for the life of me remember what the combo meter does. More damage? Weapon exp? Just a for funsies high score? filling an unspecified meter faster?

Achievements.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 5: And Now For Something Completely Different :siren:

It's time for our first genre change, so we called in local expert Nine-Gear Crow. Birds are sort of like anime planes, right?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Artix posted:

It's time for our first genre change, so we called in local expert Nine-Gear Crow. Birds are sort of like anime planes, right?

I can’t believe you went with that when the more relevant comparison is Panzer Dragoon (which I also LP’d).

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Artix posted:

:colbert: Revelations is not in the Old Testament. :bahgawd:
As for biblical comics, I'd recommend The Book of Genesis Illustrated by Robert Crumb.

cugel
Jan 22, 2010
After watching part 4 I've got only one thought:

I wish Link was dead.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 6: It's a Puzzle :siren:

Welcome to the Twilight Cathedral, the point at which the game goes all in on the Zelda motif. This is, I think, when Darksiders is at its strongest - at the very least, it's easily the part of the game with the most time and design put into it. I like it a lot! It's hard to explain why, but I feel like it nails the "feeling" of a Zelda dungeon better than the others in the game.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

The game reminded you it had a mark hamill button and you still didnt push it :(

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 7: The Aerodynamics of Darkness :siren:

Part 2 of the Twilight Cathedral, and we come upon the main setpiece of the dungeon. The actual puzzle sections are a little lackluster but I like the idea of what they were going for.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
Zelda games have absolutely had you be able to set boomerangs on fire to solve puzzles before. Phantom Hourglass is the first one that comes to mind, and that was released three years before Darksiders.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
not a Zeldalike but Dark Sector in 2008 had a spinning thrown weapon that could pick up elemental effects

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Epicmissingno posted:

Zelda games have absolutely had you be able to set boomerangs on fire to solve puzzles before. Phantom Hourglass is the first one that comes to mind, and that was released three years before Darksiders.

In Twilight Princess, fighting the first dungeon boss involves picking up bombs with the boomerang.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 8: This is (Ostensibly) a Church :siren:

And it's time to fight Tiamat. It's a little weird how the first part of the fight is way more demanding than the later stages, but mixed blessing I suppose.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
It's Phil LaMarr. Vulgrim is voiced by Samurai jack.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

The bird did come back, Crow. Tiamat tosses it's corpse down on the ground to you when you first enter the boss arena.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Is Tiamat a giant bat that shoot fire or a weird leathery dragon?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

C-Euro posted:

Is Tiamat a giant bat that shoot fire or a weird leathery dragon?
Samael (I think, maybe it was Vulgrim) refers to her as the bat queen. So yeah, bat. I believe the implication here is that the cathedral is home for her brood or flock, AKA the boomerang practice targets.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 26, 2019

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The pretty boy face y'all commented on is a big part of why I think War is a ringer for Arthas.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

When I heard "bat queen" I was expecting a sexy anime lady with bat wings. I was pleasantly surprised to find a hideous giant bat monster instead.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Yeah, in general Darksiders is good at averting the 'sexy demon / angel' archetypes prevalent in a lot of fantasy stuff. Uriel and Fury have a bit of the old boobplate going on but pretty much only Lilith is rocking the full on exposed cleavage look.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Zark the Damned posted:

Yeah, in general Darksiders is good at averting the 'sexy demon / angel' archetypes prevalent in a lot of fantasy stuff. Uriel and Fury have a bit of the old boobplate going on but pretty much only Lilith is rocking the full on exposed cleavage look.

Which, you know, Lilith.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 9: This Looks Suspiciously Like a Sewer :siren:

I really like the Drowned Pass! It's a nice little nature area in the middle of our post-apocalypse city.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Congratulations, Fedule, you just made me go buy Okami HD because I've absolutely no memory of those doors.

Also, Sameal is a total bro.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

One of my favourite things about this game is the way that the demons/angels after moving into human lands gave them edgy fantasy names. "Hmm, something square? gently caress that, this place is the Crossroads now."

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

SirSamVimes posted:

One of my favourite things about this game is the way that the demons/angels after moving into human lands gave them edgy fantasy names. "Hmm, something square? gently caress that, this place is the Crossroads now."
We haven't even seen the best one yet.

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!
Fedule those weren't door demons you're thinking of in Okami, they were wall demons called "the blockhead clan" yes, they were all related, that's why they all had the same gimmick. They were based on the nurikabe from Japanese folklore.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

stryth posted:

Fedule those weren't door demons you're thinking of in Okami, they were wall demons called "the blockhead clan" yes, they were all related, that's why they all had the same gimmick. They were based on the nurikabe from Japanese folklore.

And they sucked in Okami and they sucked in Nioh too :v:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 10: Forgive Me, Friend :siren:

War sighs as he turns to the camera, the world fading to monochrome before him: "There's got to be a better way!"

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 11: The Black Hammers :siren:

It's time to meet a new friend(?) and get acquainted in a way that only War can - a good old fashioned murder-off.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Artix posted:

:siren: Part 11: The Black Hammers :siren:

It's time to meet a new friend(?) and get acquainted in a way that only War can - a good old fashioned murder-off.

I agree with Fedule on the murder-off segment, it's one of those things where it's so intuitive and flows so naturally through the gameplay it does make you wonder why this kind of thing isn't in more video games of this kind... until you remember that most developers are uncreative trend followers. Still, good on Vigil Games for finding a way to be earnestly creative with their own little trend following.

Darksiders continues to impress.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I appreciate our new friend, his giant hammer, and his lack of fucks to give.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

Still, good on Vigil Games for finding a way to be earnestly creative with their own little trend following.

Darksiders continues to impress.

Nothing wrong with using a template if its a spring board for your own work.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
Darksiders never really did anything wildly exciting and genre breaking, but it really nails that "14 year old cool" vibe. There's never any point in game that wouldn't fit in the conversation of two kids surrounded by stacks of Spawn and X-Force comics brainstorming ideas for stories and characters.

"War's gotta have a sword and huuuuge armor!"
"Yeah, but he's got to be fast and strong! AND THROWS CARS AT EVERYTHING!!"
"Uh huh! And he kicks open doors because handles are for pussies!"

The best part is that it 100% works. It might not be the best game in the world, it's certainly flawed in the overabundant combat trials and picky aiming controls, but it is shameless, unabashed fun. It might not be high art, but I've got a soft spot for Rob Liefield Zelda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Artix posted:

:siren: Part 10: Forgive Me, Friend :siren:

War sighs as he turns to the camera, the world fading to monochrome before him: "There's got to be a better way!"

Warrior Within was the best game of the trilogy. There, I said it.