Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ah, I do enjoy this game. If you were a Dungeon Keeper fan back in the day I highly recommend it, you won't be disappointed.

WtfO was created by a group of Dungeon Keeper fans specifically to be the Dungeon Keeper 3 they always wanted that never happened. They even got the original guy from DK2 to be the voice of the mentor.

I've still got the third DLC to play through, I should really get on with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Enchanted Hat posted:

The game feels almost like an expansion pack. Basically the same thing, but with some new content and just a couple of new mechanics to try to keep it fresh.

It kind of feels like to DK2 what DK2 was to DK1. More modern graphics, a bit more of a connecting story to the campaign, a couple of new mechanics (although I think DK2 might have had less mechanics than its predecessor). Different set of creatures and traps, that sort of thing.

If you wanted a more divergent take on the genre, check out Dungeons 3 if you haven't. That series tried to create the a dungeon-building game from first principles and ended up taking some pretty different options to the Keeper series, like actively picking which creatures you recruit, and going to the surface to take the fight to the good guys. 3 is easily the best of the series. It's let down, however, by not having any sort of AI enemy. There's just scripted attacks from the pre-established heroes. You don't ever fight other keepers/underlords/whatever that are playing the same mechanics as you, in the campaign or skirmishes, besides multiplayer.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

In fact I think the next mission introduces two of WftO's original features. The ones so far have basically been tutorials for people who never played Dungeon Keeper.

The Veins of Evil are also an original feature but they're not really relevant in the campaign since your progression is restricted to what the current mission is presenting you. It's a much bigger deal in Skirmish/Multiplayer/DLCs.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

So one of the things I really like about WftO is the dungeon themes. Each NPC keeper in the campaign has their own aesthetics, and there's more besides. You can use them yourself unlocking them with achievements, or some are cosmetic DLC.
Marcus' theme is available by buying the Underlord Edition of the game.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Oh, I'd heard they did a revamp on the main campaign at some point. Back when I played through it, it didn't have the fleshy wall texture. Still had rivers of blood, they just ran through rock.

I think the snow theme from the last level was new too.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I think there's more going on with Kira than really come through in the game. See her comment about wiping the board clean, then how she's pretty clearly just blown up her own priests (and presumably would have all the dwarves if Oberon hadn't done it first).

We don't get to see much of Rhaskos' dungeon theme in these levels, but it's unlocked as a reward when you complete the main campaign.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

This was the level that really stopped me in my tracks back in the Early Access days, since the campaign as a whole was balanced around the player acting much faster (WftO was made by enthusiasts of DK's multiplayer, where being faster than your opponent is a big advantage). By release it was much better balanced.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Mira's dungeon theme is so cool. Kind of a lovecraftian vibe to it. It's my favourite of the lot, though it's pretty tricky to unlock since you need to do all the optional mission objectives.

I forget, can you drop stuff on her territory? I remember there's a way to get at least workers up there (since to do the optional objective here of smashing all four inhibitors yourself requries you to actively wall her off to stop her contributing) but I don't remember what it is.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Korvek's lines are both supposed to be from Korvek. He is two underlords in one, hence the two cores. It doesn't affect his theme or AI personality outside this mission though.

I think all of the underlords have traits that aren't expanded on more in the game. You didn't catch it in a screenshot, but inside Mira's dungeon core was a trapped priestess; there's story behind that too. I like the game but it does feel like they wanted the plot to be more than they had missions for.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Oh, I much prefer this new ending. It much better establishes what Kira was up to this whole time.
Originally Lucius would attack your home realm and destroy you there, but that is a bit anticlimactic if you haven't been building it. And you've got no reason to build it, it's a pure sandbox with no challenges, goals or terrain.

All the setup for this happened in the second Rhaskos mission. He had flashes of memory of being different, ie serving as an Overseer under Kira; it introduced the Aum; it hinted at Kira's intentions to abandon the Empire and start over. Unfortunately the subsequent missions didn't develop these ideas much, you might not have even noticed Kira wasn't opposing you any more. This is what I meant about feeling there weren't enough missions for the story they wanted to tell, since they clearly wanted something more involved than Dungeon Keeper's "conquer the world because, gently caress it, why not". The companion book in the Underlord Edition dlc has more of the lore and background that didn't get used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, that thing. Not in the sense of having a section of plot points they never used, just the flavour text tidbits showing they put more thought into this stuff than originally came across. It actually tells you what an Overseer is, for example.