Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

The room size to efficiency thing is a little limiting in my experience; it trains you to want to spam out as many 5x5 rooms as possible and "optimized" dungeons look like really bland almost office-space layouts. The game was great fun though and the devs did a fantastic job supporting it post launch, grips aside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Tenebrais posted:

It kind of feels like to DK2 what DK2 was to DK1. More modern graphics, a bit more of a connecting story to the campaign, a couple of new mechanics (although I think DK2 might have had less mechanics than its predecessor). Different set of creatures and traps, that sort of thing.

If you wanted a more divergent take on the genre, check out Dungeons 3 if you haven't. That series tried to create the a dungeon-building game from first principles and ended up taking some pretty different options to the Keeper series, like actively picking which creatures you recruit, and going to the surface to take the fight to the good guys. 3 is easily the best of the series. It's let down, however, by not having any sort of AI enemy. There's just scripted attacks from the pre-established heroes. You don't ever fight other keepers/underlords/whatever that are playing the same mechanics as you, in the campaign or skirmishes, besides multiplayer.

The annoying thing about Dungeons 3, as much as it is a personal-taste YMMV kinda' thing, is the humor. Good GOD, I had to mute all voices after a few sessions of that game. Say what you will about WftO, at least it nails the kind of dry wit that DK1&2 were known for, but Dungeons 3?

Case in point, super early on they do this lamp-shade-y joke about how they've coasted on Lord of the Rings references for 3 games now and how they have to stop before they get sued, but a couple of missions later LotR returns to being their Nr.1 most referenced and most joked about topic, at a rate that's probably measurable. It's maddening. And that's before we get into the run-into-the-ground gimmick of the advisor always calling you "The "X" Evil", where "X" is a new word or phrase linked to whatever is going on at the moment.

Look, YMMV and all that but it really put me off the game in a major way. Which was a shame because the dungeon design and whole over-world RTS thing were neat.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Looks like they fixed the problem with flies/occuluses flying around the map, annoying enemies and making them all rush to your base to attack you well before you're ready.

Yep, it's fixed. You'll constantly bleed occuli to the enemy's forward defenses but they never trigger attacks on their own.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

I would have really loved it if Brightrock Games were the ones carrying the torch of the DK genera forwards with iterative releases, as opposed to the Dungeons series, but I'm really looking forwards to their Project Aftercare thing after how good WFTO turned out. Very rocky development cycle but pretty much a KS/EA success story nonetheless.