Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever
WELCOME TO MLS, WHERE THE RULES ARE MADE UP, THE POINTS DON'T MATTER, WE ALL WEAR WHITE AWAY, AND PLEASE STOP ASKING ME IF I KNOW ANYONE WHO KNOWS WHERE TO GET A MASSAGE IN FLORIDA

It's Friday, March 1, 2019, and tomorrow begins the 24th Major League Soccer season, the top mens' league in the US and Canada. 24 years, 24 teams: They're playing on the field in Cincinnati, Cincinnati's team is FCC. The Crew have been saved; Austin FC will become real at some point without having to relocate anyone. DC's new stadium is already in Roo-ins, both Tim Howard and Nick Rimando have announced this is their farewell tour, and I cannot possibly explain just how deeply I categorically resent Atlanta sports teams. All of them, like, even your nephew's church T-ball team can gently caress off. Offseason involved the usual roundup of player transactions, retirements, coach changes, and furious googling of obscure Latin American imports, but also two deaths (Sigi Schmid and Fernando Clavijo) significant enough I'm surprised Adidas didn't just build black armbands into everyone's jersey for the year. US Soccer has a permanent new men's head coach but bo-ring it's a Women's World Cup year.

I've just been informed we're down to Uno Santos.

this is about twelve hours after the jeopardy taping btw

And the Philadelphia Union are a team that exists.

WHAT'S AT STAKE

Trophies and tournaments to be won, besides MLS Cup: CONCACAF Champions League (er, places to play that next year 'cause uh), Multilevel Marketing Canadian Championship, Supporters' Shield, US Open Cup, and it's a Gold Cup year.

All-Star Game is in Orlando vs someone or other

Women's World Cup is in France in June.

WHAT'S ON TV

Nationally, Fox networks, ESPN networks, Univision networks, and TSN/RDS networks. Don't speak Spanish for Univision? They're doing an SAP English audio option, although you miss a lot of fun of inane Spanish language chatter and player middle names. How you get those channels is up to you, your cable/satellite/internet provider, and your favorite computer herpes-riddled pirate stream site.

Locally and online, ESPN+ in the US, DAZN in Canada. Several teams have moved to 100% streaming rather than tv coverage, which is kinda weird.

Streaming details
League TV and streaming schedule with instructions on how to use SAP

SHOULD I GO TO A GAME?

Hell yes.

If you've got an MLS, NWSL, USL, PDL, NCAA, etc team in your area, get out to a game if at all possible. It ain't gonna be Bayern Munich vs Barcelona, but you'll have a good time and meet fun people. Likewise, if there's folks in your neighborhood who meet up at a bar for viewing parties, drop on by. If you happen to be traveling somewhere that lines up with being able to see a game in person (even if not your team) or attend a viewing, tell us all, someone will hook you up. The best way to experience American soccer is to show up and have a good time.

WHAT'S IN THIS THREAD

News, views, discussion, running jokes, and CascadiaChat about MLS. Might could see some NWSL. USL/PDL, whatever lower divisions, get their own thread. NCAA soccer chat--Tomorrow's Draft Picks and Waiver Claims Today!--might show up in the fall, might not. Why MLS is/is not bad, why Europe/Latin America is better, why don't we have promotion/relegation, and what expansion means to you are definitely new and exciting topics we're all dying to hear about.

Live weekly or monthly in-game threads for your game day OH loving HELL commentary will be posted separately.

Fantasy league TEAM CREST HERE

REFERENCES: MLS AIN'T JUST A LEAGUE, IT'S A DEGREE

Boys
Girls
Schedule, boys
Schedule, girls
Transactions
Du Nord, Soccer Insider, The Equalizer
and everybody's on twitter, instagram, snapchat these days for your social media needs

The coolers are packed. The jerseys are bought. The banners are painted. The mohawks are bleached. The chainsaws and muskets are oiled. The cannons are loaded. The stars have aligned. Let us celebrate the opening of the 2019 MLS season with the adding of chocolate to milk and the team intros and running jokes to this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Hoover Dam posted:

And the Philadelphia Union are a team that exists.

hosed up if true

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

WERE GONNA WIN EVERYTHING LIKE ITS 1996-1999 DONT @ ME

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Ciprian Maricon posted:

WERE GONNA WIN EVERYTHING LIKE ITS 1996-1999 DONT @ ME

Nah.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
https://goo.gl/images/Xe1HLx

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

I would laugh an awful lot if you win the continent and still don’t win the league.

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

Sporting Kansas City

Formally known as The Wizards

Stadium: Children's Mercy Park

I went to one game last year. SKC v Sounders. It was windy, rainy, and 30 degrees. I was very cold and drunk. Good times.

Head coach: Peter Vermes

He's been in charge since 2009 and at this point basically controls the entire SKC organization top to bottom. He demands a lot from his players and takes zero poo poo. He sent a loan player back last year after they skipped practice to watch the World Cup. He was also simultaneously in the top 5 best and worst coaches to play for in the MLS player anonymous survey last year.

Team depth:

Opening day vs LAFC isn't gonna be using this, but this is most definitely the starting 11 for the CCL game after.

2018 Recap
They actually had a good attack and it was their best season in years. And then Portland knocked them out of the playoffs. gently caress the Timbers.

Major Transfers Out
Diego Rubio > Rapids
Khiry Shelton > SC Paderborn 07
Ike Opara > Minnesota United

Major Transfers In
Kelyn Rowe > New England
Erik Hurtado > Vancouver
Rodney Wallace > NYCFC

Random Predictions
-Salloi gets sold for a lot of money this summer.
-Busio gets sold for a lot of money next winter.
-Lindsey gets sold for a lot of money at some point.
-SKC are top of the west again.
-SKC win Open Cup.
-Melia finally gets a call up to the national team.

TwoStepBoog fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Mar 2, 2019

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Save your negativity for when Atlanta wins on Sunday and Rooney looks every bit the old man he is until then ITS TIME TO BELIEVE

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Edward Mass posted the Nick Rimando retirement announcement in the last thread...

https://twitter.com/NickRimando/status/1101592465906126849

I believe the league was at either 10 or 12 teams when Rimando started, only the Crew had their own stadium, and nobody had a youth academy.

I don't have the time for it now, but it would probably be a bit of fun to do a deep dive and see just how different the league is since Kyle Beckerman and Rimando entered the league playing for Miami.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Crazy Ted posted:

I don't have the time for it now, but it would probably be a bit of fun to do a deep dive and see just how different the league is since Kyle Beckerman and Rimando entered the league playing for Miami.

It was better, not from a revenue or stadium, or talent level standpoint. It was just people who cared about watching soccer watching soccer in the US. I realize this demographic is incredibly small and doesn't make the League any money but it was a lot more fun.

Edit: I'm not saying that supporters groups didn't exist because they obviously did but the supporters groups were there to support the team and watch games not have fun chants and woke tifo or whatever.

Shrapnig fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Mar 2, 2019

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I had written a bunch of dumb words but I think to put it simply, I disagree that it was actually better but feel exactly the same way in-spite of that.

Logically this is the best MLS has been but I think of that really dumb Seattle capo dude and I immediately wish I was back in a mostly empty RFK jumping around and unironically thinking Bobby Convey was great

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Everyone involved with MLS is insanely stupid and/or greedy, and I've hated basically everything my "local" team has done recently, but gently caress me I'm so excited for this poo poo to start up again tomorrow

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Ciprian Maricon posted:

I had written a bunch of dumb words but I think to put it simply, I disagree that it was actually better but feel exactly the same way in-spite of that.

Logically this is the best MLS has been but I think of that really dumb Seattle capo dude and I immediately wish I was back in a mostly empty RFK jumping around and unironically thinking Bobby Convey was great

My best memories are from a mostly empty Giants Stadium. I went to an MLS Cup and watched my team lose, I'll never forget how that feels but after the game I walked the entire parking lot congratulating the Columbus fans on their victory because they deserved it and MLS fans deserve that respect until they think their supporters groups are bigger than the club they're supposed to support.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Go soccer (unless it's Orlando City)!

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Hoover Dam posted:

the top mens' league in... Canada.

Only til April :colbert:

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
MLS is like SNL. The best era is the one you watched first.

I didn’t attend the dark ages. Had no money. I showed up for DC after the glory days were gone. So seeing the new joint fill up with people who are here for re-enactments of their favorite old TV show and sing songs about Rooney instead of the team makes me wonder if it’ll be like this in ten years. Will we be the old farts bitching, and will these new folks be joining us while the next generation sings a song adapted from Katy Perry or something?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I don't know what it's like to follow a regularly successful sports team. I've never known joy or passion.

Go Rapids, gently caress Salt Lake, and may everyone from Seattle be butchered and their remains fed to wild animals.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

its snowy as poo poo outside

but soccer is back

hell yeah

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Can’t wait to watch two bad teams

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

also i'll go ahead and note if you're a MLS fan, ESPN+ is really good value and good quality. There are 7 games on espn+ today, it generally has like 75% of games, and its 5 bucks a month. Plus obviously has other soccer, other sports, etc. I got it last season and had no complaints.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
If you're in a local market you might need a VPN to get around local blackouts. Death to the cable industry.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Countdown to the Fire Front Office doing something stupid again in 3... 2...

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

https://www.si.com/soccer/2019/02/2...xzy0m5uf59QOmx8

if you want to catch up on the offseason this is a decent summary of some of the major transfers into MLS. I appreciate how many of them are younger, not a bunch of aging Euro names. (though Nani is some inspired stuff)

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

G-Hawk posted:

https://www.si.com/soccer/2019/02/2...xzy0m5uf59QOmx8

if you want to catch up on the offseason this is a decent summary of some of the major transfers into MLS. I appreciate how many of them are younger, not a bunch of aging Euro names. (though Nani is some inspired stuff)

Przemyslaw Frankowski is a quality name

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

trem_two posted:

Przemyslaw Frankowski is a quality name

Hwang In-beom

Lmao

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfeVoGgVdI0

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

March GDT

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Breaking out the orange ball in Commerce City today. Just got off the phone with my dad in Denver. He was saying the storm coming in today is the likely to be the heaviest of the winter.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
One year ago I thought my team was as good as gone and I was watching the last season. So glad the Crew was saved. Let's go!!

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

I am still laughing at this from a week ago or whatever. Masterful.

And hey, Revs not total poo poo yet? I'll take it!

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Shrapnig posted:

It was better, not from a revenue or stadium, or talent level standpoint. It was just people who cared about watching soccer watching soccer in the US. I realize this demographic is incredibly small and doesn't make the League any money but it was a lot more fun.

Edit: I'm not saying that supporters groups didn't exist because they obviously did but the supporters groups were there to support the team and watch games not have fun chants and woke tifo or whatever.

Yeah, RIP River Ratz. :sigh:

Also wait what, did you get on Jeopardy Hoover?

Moktaro fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Mar 3, 2019

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

Moktaro posted:

Yeah, RIP River Ratz. :sigh:

Also wait what, did you get on Jeopardy Hoover?

2nd place and $2000.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Hoover Dam posted:

2nd place and $2000.

Thanks for spoiling it, I'm a regular watcher. :argh:

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I think it was on several months ago even!

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Oh poo poo I didn't notice the dates on that pic. Well boo to that.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Moktaro posted:

Oh poo poo I didn't notice the dates on that pic. Well boo to that.

And you've outed yourself as a liar!

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

catching some highlights from yesterday, im disappointed i missed rapids/timbers. looks like a poo poo fest

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

Dallan Invictus posted:

I think it was on several months ago even!

Episode aired in October, taped in August (specifically, my birthday). I had to spend two months sitting on the following jokes:

[after missing daily double]
Wondo, call me, we should talk

[after coming in second]
Following the proud New England tradition of being runner-up in LA
Taylor, what's the best way to display 2nd place medals?

Banc of California Stadium is pretty nice, reminds me a lot of Kobe Wing Stadium, probably should've had more vegetarian concessions, is definitely superior to Gillette in terms of serving Coca-Cola, and the best part was getting a free parking space directly across the street because nobody was paying attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Hi thread I am new to watching MLS and have no local team to root for and no nothing about the different teams so I’m looking for opinions on who to root for. The Fire and Crew are the two closest teams so I thought one of them.