Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

:siren: Spoilers? As the title says, this is a blind playthrough, so no story-related spoilers. That being said, anything covered in one of my videos no longer counts as a spoiler. Hints for side content or other tips are also fine. Any spoilers for Yakuza 0 are also allowed. :siren:

Yakuza is a Sega series about Kazuma Kiryu, a member of the Tojo Clan and the general life of a Yakuza member, if a bit more dramatic and over-the-top. The series had its start in 2005 where Toshihiro Nagoshi produced Ryū ga Gotoku (Like a Dragon) for the PlayStation 2 which became known as "Yakuza" when released in the west. Yakuza Kiwami (Kiwami meaning "extreme" in Japanese) is a remake of the first Yakuza game initially released in January 2016 for the PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4, but only in Japan. Thankfully, the game was released worldwide in August the following year on the PlayStation 4. The story is overall the same as the original, but with some changes added aside from the updated graphics. There are also new substories, new minigames to play, and a brand new "Majima Anywhere" system where Goro Majima can attack the player at random. The story starts off seven years after the events of Yakuza 0, where things quickly take a turn for the worse for Kiryu and his sworn brother Nishikiyama after a murder takes place with Kiryu ending up in jail for an entire decade and if I had to bet, things only get more complex from there. Despite earlier plans to play the new Steam release of the game, I will instead be doing a live, blind playthrough of the PlayStation 4 version.

I do not plan to 100% this game, though I will try and complete all the substories.

Where It All Began. Sort Of:
Part 1 - Taking The Fall
Part 2 - Crashing a Funeral
Part 3 - Cons and Drunkards
Part 4 - Cons and MesuKing
Part 5 - Cons and Majima Shenanigans
Part 6 - Cons and Pocket Circuit Racing
Part 7 - The Yakuza's Apprentice
Part 8 - Haruka
Part 9 - The Dragon and the Koi
Part 10 - Komaki's Training
Part 11 - Pocket Circuit Fighter's Legacy
Part 12 - Japanese Lurch
Part 13 - The Rescue
Part 14 - Majima, MesuKing, and Rina
Part 15 - MesuKing Finale
Part 16 - Yui
Part 17 - Going After Shinji
Part 18 - Mizuki, Yumi, and Haruka
Part 19 - Jo Amon
Part 20 - Kazuma Kiryu vs. Akira Nishikiyama

TheLoneStar fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Apr 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

https://i.imgur.com/bFwjrhp.gifv

TheLoneStar fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 11, 2019

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
The remake of the game that started it all. Good luck & enjoy!

SilverFire
Dec 31, 2012
You'll want to get the kiwami heat actions right away. If you really want to find out what the original version was like there's https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3857636 and https://lparchive.org/Yakuza-%28by-mikeycp-and-Another-Person%29/ for when you finish this game.

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
When you don't pay your debts, Kiryu's what you gonna get.

Geez... You're LP-ing like what? 3 games at once? Also, geez... You're playing on easy modo again? I get why you've played easy on Y0. Youre unable to fight well in the first multi-stage battle and get your butt trounced badly. But since Yakuza Kiwami played exactly like Y0 with the addition of Kiwami/Essence of Extreme HEAT Action and instant style switch and that you've played Y0 to it's completion, you should be able to play Yakuza Kiwami well, right?

Main story wise, the cutscenes between Kiwami and original version is very similar to each other, down to it's cinematography. There's new addition like Kiryu's ridiculously tedious quest of finding a gift for Yumi and cutscenes showing Nishiki's downfall.

Yumi is offhandedly mentioned once I think in Y0. She was still in school during that time and Kiryu didn't want her to work at Serena at that time.

Protip: GET THE KIWAMI/ESSENCE OF EXTREME HEAT ACTION as soon as you can. Particularly, Essence of Extreme Rush.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

achtungnight posted:

The remake of the game that started it all. Good luck & enjoy!
Thank ya. I'm sure it'll be a blast if it's even half as good as Yakuza 0.

SilverFire posted:

You'll want to get the kiwami heat actions right away. If you really want to find out what the original version was like there's https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3857636 and https://lparchive.org/Yakuza-%28by-mikeycp-and-Another-Person%29/ for when you finish this game.
Good to know, thanks for the tip and links.

Your Everyday NEET posted:

Geez... You're LP-ing like what? 3 games at once? Also, geez... You're playing on easy modo again? I get why you've played easy on Y0. Youre unable to fight well in the first multi-stage battle and get your butt trounced badly. But since Yakuza Kiwami played exactly like Y0 with the addition of Kiwami/Essence of Extreme HEAT Action and instant style switch and that you've played Y0 to it's completion, you should be able to play Yakuza Kiwami well, right?

Main story wise, the cutscenes between Kiwami and original version is very similar to each other, down to it's cinematography. There's new addition like Kiryu's ridiculously tedious quest of finding a gift for Yumi and cutscenes showing Nishiki's downfall.

Yumi is offhandedly mentioned once I think in Y0. She was still in school during that time and Kiryu didn't want her to work at Serena at that time.

Protip: GET THE KIWAMI/ESSENCE OF EXTREME HEAT ACTION as soon as you can. Particularly, Essence of Extreme Rush.
No, I finished Kingdom Hearts III already. I mean technically I'm gonna add more to it when all the DLC comes out, but my thread will have locked by then, so it's essentially over in terms of the forum. I usually play games on easy mode when doing playthroughs to help move things along faster, but I mean I guess I can try the game on normal if you want me to. I'm excited to what these new HEAT Actions are like since this is already the second time they got brought up and recommended to me.

At least I got to watch the English dub of the first game when doing comparison. Quality of the voices themselves aside, it's really unusual to hear Japanese words like aniki and honorifics in the midst of English sentences. They should've just dropped all that.

Ah, okay. I was starting to think I had really missed something when this childhood friend showed up like that. Surprised she didn't get mentioned more in Yakuza 0 considering how clearly important she is to Kiryu and Nishikiyama.

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
That's 2 then. Too bad Steam users can't ride the Exodus Train.

You could try playing on Normal until chapter 3, which is the first time you fight in a multi stage battle followed by the 1st major boss. If you're doing well in that segment, that's good for you.

At least we got Mark Hamill as Majima in the english dub. He's perfect fit for the Mad Dog.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 2 - Crashing a Funeral

Well first off, I misremembered what was blatantly told to me about Extreme Heat Actions because I'm stupid. Thankfully, I at least got a grip on things by the video's end, but still missed out on doing the Essence of Extreme Rush and now I just feel bad. Also tried my hand in Normal and got completely destroyed, so that's probably not gonna happen again anytime soon. It took me until after recording to realize why the chapters are flying by so quickly and are so short. I completely forgot to take into account that, in terms of the main story, this game is as long as a PlayStation 2 game so of course it's not gonna be very long. Also completely forgot about the little girl on the game's cover, or at the icon for the game shows her on the PlayStation 4, so of course she's gonna be key to the plot. I'm liking this look into Nishikiyama's descent into villainy, and I'm really curious to see what pushed him to the point where he'd betray his own sworn brother and best friend. The fights in the mansion were fun even if those assholes with throwing knives were really obnoxious. Shimano was pretty annoying too, especially since the only real Heat Attacks I have are ones where I'm holding a weapon or the opponent is on the ground. Guess I should have remembered the advice that was spelled out for me in all caps and bold like a person in a brain would so I really only have myself to blame for how annoying the fight was. I looked it up and chapter-wise I'm already about a third of the way through the game, so I'm hoping a whole bushel of substories have opened up to me, which will take priority in the next video.

SilverFire
Dec 31, 2012
When an enemy is regenerating health with an aura, any heat attack will work but the extreme heat moves are more convenient and require less setup to use.

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
Yeaah... I guess Normal is still above you. Although you do make a lot of silly mistakes that makes the game a lot harder for yourself. You constantly used Dragon style eventhough it's been heavily downgraded to Dumpster of Dojima, you didn't go to nearest minimart to stock up until before Chapter 3, and you didn't go to restaurant to heal up after your HP gone into critical, you rarely used finishers against enemies. *Sigh*

You do put up a good fight against Yuya in Rush style up until you switched to the very downgraded Dragon.

While you're supposed to lose against Majima in the first fight against him, you can actually win the fight if you're really good and get 100 blocks of EXP from him. Majima use his moveset and 4 styles from Yakuza 0. If you know his moveset well, fighting him won't become troublesome until later on. Except for his Slugger style. That style is very dangerous to fight against.

So, Majima isn't the only boss who can use HEAT Action, eh? Yes. Those unblockable moves the bosses did that deals great damage are HEAT Action. And like yours, it's unblockable as well. Majima has his HEAT Actions from Yakuza 0 as well, so you mustn't show your back against Thug Majima since he has Essence of Choking HEAT Action.

Man, that was a silly drawn out slap fight against Shimano. There's a reason why I told you to get Essence of Extreme Rush. Shimano is an annoying boss fight. The reason why I know to take the Essence of Extreme is because I regularly read Yakuza post on SA. I heard stories of people taking like 30 minutes to beat Shimano without the Kiwami HEAT Action.

Getting the substories won't be a problem at all. The Trouble Finder accessory can be gotten pretty early with the CP. Also, the Armor from the CP shop like the Yakuza Training Gear has more defense than anything that is sold on the shop.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Yakuza Training Gear also gives bonus exp if I recall correctly so wear it a lot if you can.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Yeaah... I guess Normal is still above you. Although you do make a lot of silly mistakes that makes the game a lot harder for yourself. You constantly used Dragon style eventhough it's been heavily downgraded to Dumpster of Dojima, you didn't go to nearest minimart to stock up until before Chapter 3, and you didn't go to restaurant to heal up after your HP gone into critical, you rarely used finishers against enemies. *Sigh*

While you're supposed to lose against Majima in the first fight against him, you can actually win the fight if you're really good and get 100 blocks of EXP from him. Majima use his moveset and 4 styles from Yakuza 0. If you know his moveset well, fighting him won't become troublesome until later on. Except for his Slugger style. That style is very dangerous to fight against.

So, Majima isn't the only boss who can use HEAT Action, eh? Yes. Those unblockable moves the bosses did that deals great damage are HEAT Action. And like yours, it's unblockable as well. Majima has his HEAT Actions from Yakuza 0 as well, so you mustn't show your back against Thug Majima since he has Essence of Choking HEAT Action.

Man, that was a silly drawn out slap fight against Shimano. There's a reason why I told you to get Essence of Extreme Rush. Shimano is an annoying boss fight. The reason why I know to take the Essence of Extreme is because I regularly read Yakuza post on SA. I heard stories of people taking like 30 minutes to beat Shimano without the Kiwami HEAT Action.

Getting the substories won't be a problem at all. The Trouble Finder accessory can be gotten pretty early with the CP. Also, the Armor from the CP shop like the Yakuza Training Gear has more defense than anything that is sold on the shop.
I suppose I overestimated the Dragon Style. Like I knew I had to level it up, but didn't realize how useless it is at this point. And you're right, I should have stocked up first. It didn't really cross my mind.

God drat, 100 EXP? That would have taken me a long, long way. And good to know about his various Styles. I'm excited to see the "Majima Everywhere" thing actually play out before my eyes.

Oh, so they are unblockable? I was worried a QTE popped up but I kept hitting the wrong button too fast or something. That's kind of bullshit, but I guess on the other hand, it's kind of fair they get their own HEAT Attacks since I do. And I did notice that Majima used a Yakuza 0 move on me in the mansion, yeah. Really love how he just popped in out of nowhere. I can just imagine him in some other part of the mansion, hearing a fight, and giddily running towards it.

I apologize about that, at the very least I have the three Essence of Extreme abilities, so that's not going to happen again. Thank God I wasn't on Normal mode anymore by that point or that would've been a complete and utter nightmare.

Good to know about the Trouble Finder. I'll make sure to get that and the Training Gear as soon as soon I can afford them. If I recall right, you couldn't get the Trouble Finder until like, halfway through Yakuza 0 which was a bit of a pain.

achtungnight posted:

Yakuza Training Gear also gives bonus exp if I recall correctly so wear it a lot if you can.
Nice, even better.

SilverFire
Dec 31, 2012
The Dragon of Dojima style currently uses climax heat and you can't generate heat with attacks with it right now.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Dragon of Dojima style is extremely bad at the moment and I can't in good conscience recommend it for some time. I mean obviously once you get Tiger Drop but even after that it needs some work to get it really going.

But then I usually went with Brawler/Beast and disliked Rush so maybe I'm the one with weird opinions.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I too recommend Brawler/Beast over Dragon style at this point. At least until you're able to power up Dragon style with a Majima beatdown spree or ten.

Been watching your latest video and I have to say a few things-

- Definitely don't change the difficulty if you mainly want to experience the story. It gets rough later, especially when you come up against some nasty bosses. I won't say more about them right now.

- Coin lockers were a big feature in public areas in the 1970s through early 2000s. In the US they were common at airports and bus stations. You could rent a locker key via a coin vending machine, then leave something in the locker for later pickup. These days they're being phased out in a lot of places because people fear bombs could be placed in them. Never heard of that happening, but I guess it makes sense.

- The original Yakuza game actually had a lot of great voice talent. Mark Hamill as Majima stands out, but there was also Michael Rosenbaum (Nishiki), Eliza Dushku (Yumi, she does pop up again), Rachael Leigh Cook (Raina), and Bill Farmer (Date). Shimano (Michael Madsen) I think was miscast, however. Roger Jackson (who voiced Kazama) would probably have been a better fit. Kiryu was Darryl Kurylo, who's also pretty talented even if he's not as famous as Nolan North or Troy Baker.

- Majima & Kiryu's relationship is never really explored in the series unfortunately. But the Majima Everywhere system is fun. I liked him popping in at the funeral. The best Majima games besides Kiwami & Zero are Yakuza 2 (he's a real badass in that one), 4 (you get more of his backstory), and Dead Souls (again, you can play as Majima). He seems like a big part of 3 and 5, but their stories aren't as great in my opinion. Although you should play those games too. 6 was ok, some parts of that have to be seen to be believed. Majima is unfortunately barely in that game. I would love a game with him as sole protagonist.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Alright got it, Dragon Style gets the bench for a good long while. I personally like Beast Style the most just due to the crazy brutality.

achtungnight posted:

Been watching your latest video and I have to say a few things-

- Definitely don't change the difficulty if you mainly want to experience the story. It gets rough later, especially when you come up against some nasty bosses. I won't say more about them right now.

- Coin lockers were a big feature in public areas in the 1970s through early 2000s. In the US they were common at airports and bus stations. You could rent a locker key via a coin vending machine, then leave something in the locker for later pickup. These days they're being phased out in a lot of places because people fear bombs could be placed in them. Never heard of that happening, but I guess it makes sense.

- The original Yakuza game actually had a lot of great voice talent. Mark Hamill as Majima stands out, but there was also Michael Rosenbaum (Nishiki), Eliza Dushku (Yumi, she does pop up again), Rachael Leigh Cook (Raina), and Bill Farmer (Date). Shimano (Michael Madsen) I think was miscast, however. Roger Jackson (who voiced Kazama) would probably have been a better fit. Kiryu was Darryl Kurylo, who's also pretty talented even if he's not as famous as Nolan North or Troy Baker.

- Majima & Kiryu's relationship is never really explored in the series unfortunately. But the Majima Everywhere system is fun. I liked him popping in at the funeral. The best Majima games besides Kiwami & Zero are Yakuza 2 (he's a real badass in that one), 4 (you get more of his backstory), and Dead Souls (again, you can play as Majima). He seems like a big part of 3 and 5, but their stories aren't as great in my opinion. Although you should play those games too. 6 was ok, some parts of that have to be seen to be believed. Majima is unfortunately barely in that game. I would love a game with him as sole protagonist.
Yeah, Normal mode is too much for my lack of gaming skills, sadly. Maybe in Kiwami 2 I'll give it another shot, and I'll play things smarter there too.

Oh yeah, I think I kind of know what you're talking about. Guess I'm just gonna go steal someone's personal belongings then, huh? I was actually starting to think it'd literally just be some box filled with yen coins or something. Who even knows with Japan? I mean they have what's pretty much a vending machine for puppies over there.

I always forget Bill Farmer actually does things that aren't Goofy. "I'm looking into the stolen ten billion yen, Kiryu! Ahyuck!" "Kiryu, where did you get that Keyblade!?" He's pretty much doing his Detective Tawashi voice from the 03 Astro Boy series, which makes sense. I did hear that the English dub for the original game wasn't actually too bad but was still widely hated anyway. It's still really weird to hear them go all the way and include Japanese terms like aniki and the honorifics into the dub. It just really stands out.

Well that's a bummer. I'd love to see the two of them just hang out. Go play baseball or sing karaoke together. Seems like it'd be a fun time. And I had no idea what Dead Souls was, so I looked it up. Never knew I'd want something so random so badly. Kiryu would make an excellent zombie hunter. He has experience fighting the undead, after all. And I do plan on playing all the main Yakuza titles, I'll be steamrolling through them one after the other.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

TheLoneStar posted:

I did hear that the English dub for the original game wasn't actually too bad but was still widely hated anyway.
The performances generally aren't too bad aside from a couple of terrible minor NPCs, some line delivery in dramatic scenes that just falls flat compared to the Japanese version, and the fact Roger Jackson is the only person in the cast to pronounce Japanese names correctly.

The script is a much bigger issue because of all the unnecessary swearing and that sort of thing. Someone in my LP thread said it basically sounds like a bad fan translation that somehow made it into an official release.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
On the other side of translation are "I will knock you all down" and "All your bases are belong to us". It's a fair trade.

Dead Souls- You may hear some bad reviews of it. I suggest you make your own judgement. It's a different genre from the norm, and a lot of the gameplay is repetitive, but I thought it was fun. You may want to play 2 and 4 first to get familiar with all the playable characters.

Puppies in vending machines? Ok, that's a new weird.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I mean, the puppies have toys to play with and food/water and room to roam about so it's not all that bad. And I might play Dead Souls sometime, sure. Dunno if it'd be for a playthrough or not, though. Is it even long/engaging enough for that?

Part 3 - Cons and Drunkards

Substories galore. Almost felt like I didn't even need the Trouble Finder considering how easy it was to trip over these things. Though of course that makes sense with nearly eighty substories all compressed into one city, rather than one hundred split between locations. Noticed a bit of a theme, with most of the substories, at least the ones I encountered, being about a drunk person or a con artist. Lots of creative cons, by the way. Poor Kiryu didn't know what hit him with that love hotel one. Still, a lot of them got a chuckle out of me so I'm not really bothered. I'm enjoying the Majima Everywhere System so far, having Majima sneak up on Kiryu all dressed up in uniform was hilarious. Especially since he popped in like a loving slasher villain, he just kind of materialized out of nowhere. Certainly didn't expect Majima to have one of his underlings just call me up and tell me where to go find him. Seems to kind of defeat the purpose of Majima randomly popping up to pick a fight, but it was hilarious so oh well. As I said at the end of this video, I'll just do all available substories before moving on with the main story.

Also, is there any particular area I should really be investing my experience points above all others at the moment now that I have the three Essence of Extreme Rushes?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Dead Souls- 4 protagonists, 80 sub stories, everyone has 2 underground quests in the sewers that take a long time to do, plus the main quest and hostesses to date (1 for Majima, 2 for everyone else). It’s certainly long enough. Your call if it’s engaging enough, that depends on the player as much as the game.

Sometimes Majima pops up randomly, sometimes you know where he’ll be. It’s both kinds of fear! Known & unknown.

SilverFire
Dec 31, 2012
I think that's the only major upgrades you need. Go with health with your experience points. It doesn't really matter too much because you can beat up Majima to get all the experience you need especially when you get to the higher ranks of Majima Everywhere.

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
Yeah, there's a lot of sidestories involving scams. Kiryu must be smart enough to say no to any suspicious person. What Majima said about Kamurocho being a different city 10 years later is true. The more wacky substories are usually exclusive from Kiwami version. But those are rare.

Yakuza Kiwami is harder than Yakuza 0. Enemies are more aggressive, deal more damage, and bosses have the annoying Kiwami regeneration. The skills I inherited from Y0 is only enough to let me survive the harder encounter, not steamrolling the enemies. Also, Kiryu moves are nerfed. His damage output is nothing compared to his Y0 version (until you get all damage upgrade), and Beast is less effective than it once was. You really can't absolutely use it against bosses. Though on the other hand, you do eventually get the Instant Style Switch which is really useful and cool, and the almighty Tiger Drop later on.

Your combat abilities got even rustier alright. Heck, you even forgot you can use triangle and the end of normal combo to do a Finishing Blow.

For the upgrade, I recommend the damage upgrade (since your damage output is nerfed), Instant Style Change because you could do a lots of awesome stuff with it, and the almighty Tiger Drop from the Dragon skill tree.

EDIT: More ability recommendation: Rush Parry. Pulling the enemy behind you allows you to get a few good on their back. It's also really easy to do that against Majima since you'll fight him often and memorizing his moves is easy (Though this move requires 85 EXP Block). Rush Charged Kick. The charged roundhouse kick have a great reach and deal very high damage.

Your Everyday NEET fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Mar 8, 2019

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
After watching part of the latest video-

Majima Everywhere- From what I've experienced, its rank depends on how much you beat him down. There are several different encounters with him- Thug Majima, Officer Majima, Majima with Dagger, the original Majima boss fights from Yakuza 1, and other fights that will surprise you if I don't spoil it (so I'll shut up). He does get a bit tougher as the rank increases, of course. There are several battles that increase your rank like the first Officer Majima fight- these can be considered the hardest encounters.

Pocket Circuit in this game is not as extensive as in Yakuza Zero. But it is there. Hope you check it out soon.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
There are story limits for Majima Everywhere as well. I want to say it's gated to story progression for topping rank C, then rank B, then it's unlimited. Enjoy your XP pinata while you can :v:

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

achtungnight posted:

Dead Souls- 4 protagonists, 80 sub stories, everyone has 2 underground quests in the sewers that take a long time to do, plus the main quest and hostesses to date (1 for Majima, 2 for everyone else). It’s certainly long enough. Your call if it’s engaging enough, that depends on the player as much as the game.
Wait why is there dating in a zombie killing game? I really only glanced at the general summary, I never expected so much content to be packed into things. If it has that much to do, I'll probably do a playthrough of it between Yakuza 4 and 5, then.

Yeah, there's a lot of sidestories involving scams. Kiryu must be smart enough to say no to any suspicious person. What Majima said about Kamurocho being a different city 10 years later is true. The more wacky substories are usually exclusive from Kiwami version. But those are rare.

Yakuza Kiwami is harder than Yakuza 0. Enemies are more aggressive, deal more damage, and bosses have the annoying Kiwami regeneration. The skills I inherited from Y0 is only enough to let me survive the harder encounter, not steamrolling the enemies. Also, Kiryu moves are nerfed. His damage output is nothing compared to his Y0 version (until you get all damage upgrade), and Beast is less effective than it once was. You really can't absolutely use it against bosses. Though on the other hand, you do eventually get the Instant Style Switch which is really useful and cool, and the almighty Tiger Drop later on.

Your combat abilities got even rustier alright. Heck, you even forgot you can use triangle and the end of normal combo to do a Finishing Blow.
I can't believe what this city has become. It used to be a nice, wholesome place where people could practice dominatrix techniques in public parks. Frankly, I'm disgusted.

I've noticed, and ironically Majima has been the easiest major opponent for me to defeat so far. I would expect him to be so much tougher than everyone else, though I'm sure that will change once I get higher in the ranks of Majima Everywhere.

You're right, I have forgotten about that. I need to step up my game.

achtungnight posted:

After watching part of the latest video-

Majima Everywhere- From what I've experienced, its rank depends on how much you beat him down. There are several different encounters with him- Thug Majima, Officer Majima, Majima with Dagger, the original Majima boss fights from Yakuza 1, and other fights that will surprise you if I don't spoil it (so I'll shut up). He does get a bit tougher as the rank increases, of course. There are several battles that increase your rank like the first Officer Majima fight- these can be considered the hardest encounters.

Pocket Circuit in this game is not as extensive as in Yakuza Zero. But it is there. Hope you check it out soon.
I really hope there's more stuff where he dresses up in costumes. I had a rather humorous encounter with him in my latest video that was fun to go through.

I'll definitely check it out to some degree before moving on with the main story.

dscruffy1 posted:

There are story limits for Majima Everywhere as well. I want to say it's gated to story progression for topping rank C, then rank B, then it's unlimited. Enjoy your XP pinata while you can :v:
Well that's good to know, and I guess it makes sense the game makers don't want the player to become too powerful too early.

Part 4 - Cons and MesuKing

More substory stuff here, and some Majima Everywhere goodness too. I've noticed there's a weird balance in how much experience I'm getting for these substories. For instance, the match one gave me what seems to be a disproportionately high amount of experience points, at least for this early in the game, despite there being no fighting involved. I guess because it happened in several parts? Either way, I certainly appreciate the hefty reward. Didn't even think to expect that the rock paper scissors game from Yakuza 0 would make any kind of return. It's certainly...interesting. I can see why it's so popular, at the very least. Everything else was pretty standard, though I'm kind of surprised the banana hammock thing didn't seem to go anywhere. Seemed like right up the series' alley to include the payoff. Did some karaoke too and I still suck at it, I was expecting one of those imaginary sequences to play out but got a flashback sequence instead which was unique, at least. Do other songs show different things? I would imagine so. Majima continues to act like a goofy loon, and I'm a bit disappointed I didn't get to actually see him pop out from beneath the traffic cone with his Mad Dog flare.

SilverFire
Dec 31, 2012
Being calm refers to not in heat mode. You can collect things that are high while in first person mode.

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
The substories is more lenient in the Kiwami version. In the original, some substories are time sensitive and if you fail to get the ending, that's it. The sub story is broken and you can't access it's continuation.

Since you increased Majima Everywhere rank, he can now ambush you anywhere. He can ambush you in a corner, from above, from a trash can, from sewer, from anywhere you could think of. As long as Majima is active, you cannot safely free roam.

I think the game knows that Slugger Majima is really hard, so he didn't use his normal combo against you.

The email from Nishida refers to meeting Majima on bowling, and on the hostess club Shine. But to enter Shine, you have to go to MEB, talk to the guy there about, the club, have him take you there, have a session with the hostess, and then re-enter the club to meet the best hostess in the game.

The only song with the imaginary sequence is "Iji Sakura 2000" (Only Kiryu can dual wield freshly picked radishes and make it looked badass). Though it still about him reminiscing about his 10 years sentences.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

SilverFire posted:

Being calm refers to not in heat mode. You can collect things that are high while in first person mode.
Oh, so it even pertains to outside of battle? And good to know, thanks.

The substories is more lenient in the Kiwami version. In the original, some substories are time sensitive and if you fail to get the ending, that's it. The sub story is broken and you can't access it's continuation.

Since you increased Majima Everywhere rank, he can now ambush you anywhere. He can ambush you in a corner, from above, from a trash can, from sewer, from anywhere you could think of. As long as Majima is active, you cannot safely free roam.

The email from Nishida refers to meeting Majima on bowling, and on the hostess club Shine. But to enter Shine, you have to go to MEB, talk to the guy there about, the club, have him take you there, have a session with the hostess, and then re-enter the club to meet the best hostess in the game.

The only song with the imaginary sequence is "Iji Sakura 2000" (Only Kiryu can dual wield freshly picked radishes and make it looked badass). Though it still about him reminiscing about his 10 years sentences.
Geez, that's awful. Tell me that's not the case in any of the other, earlier released games like Yakuza 3.

In all honesty, good. He's, as dscruffy put it, a good experience piñata.

I had a feeling it was bowling, I was going to test out that hunch after all the substories (currently) are done and I started to explore the general activities. And thanks for the explanation on the Shine situation, I'll make sure and do that sometime soon too.

Alright, I'll probably go back and do that one last song at some point.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 5 - Cons and Majima Shenanigans

Filler galore in this video. Bumping into the same group of thugs, quite literally, was pretty amusing. Almost wish they'd come back one more time near the end of the game or something as a long set-up joke. Decided to do a lot more Majima stuff in one video than usual, got to have several unique fights with him and I managed to beat him in bowling, miraculously. Thank God RNG made him practically throw his ball into the gutter that one time. I just wish Nugget was still around. I miss him. Speaking of old faces, I'm glad Pocket Circuit Fighter is still around, though at the same time it's also depressing as all hell that he's still exactly where he was in Yakuza 0. For the most part, at least. Majima going to the lengths he does to gently caress with Kiryu has been the highlight of the game for me so far. Giant traffic cones, general stalking, dressing as a hostess, and the whole Zombie Majima fiasco are all just good poo poo. Can't wait to see what other shenanigans he has up his sleeve and what other costumes he'll put on to fight Kiryu with. Hopefully I'll have the rest of the current substories wrapped up within one or two more episodes, then I'll go and try most of the entertainment areas before finally moving on with the story for a bit.

https://i.imgur.com/bFwjrhp.gifv

TheLoneStar fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Mar 11, 2019

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017

TheLoneStar posted:

Geez, that's awful. Tell me that's not the case in any of the other, earlier released games like Yakuza 3.

I know that Yakuza 1 & 2 substories are strict. I don't know anything about the other Yakuza game though.

Using some weapon's HEAT Action requires you to be in specific style. For example: Knuckles requires Rush style, Hammer requires Beast. And as you proceed further with the Majima Everywhere and unlock more moves in Dragon, you can use Majima's HEAT Action when using weapons such as Dagger, Kali Sticks, Katana, Pole.

Nishida's email concerning missing Majima actually refers to encountering Majima in Pocket Circuit since that's the only place of interest in Shichifuku West. Although you have yo win a few tournament to get him to appear.

My experience with bowling against Majima is very different. He match me moves for moves. I took down 9 pins, he took down 9 pins as well. I got a strike, he got a strike as well. I barely won against him. I guess he went easy on you because you're on easy.

Who doesn't like Goromi? Everyone loves Goromi. She's the best hostess in the game.

Did I hear Star Platinum's ORA ORA ORA when you use Essence of Extreme Rush?

Your Everyday NEET fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Mar 12, 2019

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Starting with Yakuza 4, they fixed substories to not be missable or closed with bad endings if you make the wrong choices. You just have to remember to complete them while you’re playing the applicable character. The issue was corrected for Yakuza 1 & 2 with the Kiwami versions. 3 is being remastered, I assume that will fix its stories also.

I wish it was possible to challenge Majima to Virtua Fighter in the arcade. I’d be all over that. :)

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Using some weapon's HEAT Action requires you to be in specific style. For example: Knuckles requires Rush style, Hammer requires Beast. And as you proceed further with the Majima Everywhere and unlock more moves in Dragon, you can use Majima's HEAT Action when using weapons such as Dagger, Kali Sticks, Katana, Pole.

Nishida's email concerning missing Majima actually refers to encountering Majima in Pocket Circuit since that's the only place of interest in Shichifuku West. Although you have yo win a few tournament to get him to appear.

My experience with bowling against Majima is very different. He match me moves for moves. I took down 9 pins, he took down 9 pins as well. I got a strike, he got a strike as well. I barely won against him. I guess he went easy on you because you're on easy.

Who doesn't like Goromi? Everyone loves Goromi. She's the best hostess in the game.

Did I hear Star Platinum's ORA ORA ORA when you use Essence of Extreme Rush?
Ah poo poo, I didn't even consider the Style I was using at the time. I'll have to make sure and be more careful with that from now on. And the Majima thing is kind of cool.

Should've known. I'll make sure and get that done before moving on with the main story.

Perhaps. I'm just glad it happened since I'm really bad at the bowling minigame.

Naturally. The other hostesses which they could be half as good as her.

That you did, I couldn't resist.

achtungnight posted:

Starting with Yakuza 4, they fixed substories to not be missable or closed with bad endings if you make the wrong choices. You just have to remember to complete them while you’re playing the applicable character. The issue was corrected for Yakuza 1 & 2 with the Kiwami versions. 3 is being remastered, I assume that will fix its stories also.
Didn't realize Yakuza 3 had a remaster. I only knew it wasn't getting the Kiwami treatment. Hopefully the remaster will come to the West, and a release date will come out soon. At least before I finish my playthrough for Kiwami 2. I was really hoping to just steamroll right through the franchise, but this throws a wrench into that plan.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 6 - Cons and Pocket Circuit Racing

I can't believe it, but I actually ran into more con artists this time around. I actually thought that Lifestone thing was about a cult at first, especially with that fat guy being called a demigod. Also finally reached the limit to how much I can fight with Majima for now, which I had hoped to do before moving on with the main story. Though I have to ask, does it only include Majima wandering about town and hiding in giant traffic cones, or does it mean I also can't, for instance, race him in Pocket Circuit Racing? Either way, I'm really starting to notice his increase in strength, things got pretty rough a few times there. Speaking of Pocket Circuit Racing, I was kind of hoping some of the kids from Yakuza 0 would make a comeback for this part of the game, so that was a nice inclusion. But seriously, 17 years is a long loving time to hold onto a crush. That guy's gotta just let it go and move on with his life, good lord. Hopefully I can wrap up the rest of the substories in the next video, probably gonna try and get that stupid toy from the crane game between videos. Turns out it's the orange one I'm supposed to get. I thought I was looking for some purely white bird, why couldn't the dude just tell me to get the orange one? Really though, gently caress the crane game. It truly is the biggest scam in this game.

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
While you can press Majima's block until you break through, it is not recommended to do that against other bosses because they have a vicious counterattack should you press their defenses too much.

Let me teach you again how to quick block. If you get comboed by bosses, you can immediately press L1 to instantly put up your guard so long as you're not back attacked. If you have Damage Weaving, you can actually escape combo by dodging it in Rush style. That skill is really great.

When Majima Everywhere reached it's cap, that's it. Majima won't appear to bug you anymore. He won't even interrupt your minigame session anymore. This is good if you want to do side stories without any interruption. Though there is this important sub story that requires Majima's presence to do. That sucks.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 7 - The Yakuza's Apprentice

Alright, finally reaching the last video in this current marathon of substories. The chain of substories with Kano were pretty entertaining, and in general I really enjoy multi-part substories like this. Makes me wish they were a bit more common. Had some weird major trouble with the Pocket Circuit Racing, though I will partly blame that one lovely guide I was using because even when I followed it completely, things still hosed up. As I said in the video, I'll get back to that along with MesuKing once I complete another four chapters of the main story and do another substory marathon. I was pretty embarrassed at how long it took me to figure out the baseball game. I really just thought the cursor was where I swung the bat for some reason, I dunno. Aside from that, all I got is to ask if I should bother with any of the weapons/items gotten from Bob or just ignore them? Like I know the Golden Gun is some completely broken weapon that pretty much kills any generic enemy in one hit, but by the time I can even afford it, the game will pretty much be over anyway so it seems like it wouldn't be worth doing to me.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Could we do this many substories so early in the original game or did they change that? I can’t remember.

Golden Gun- if this were Dead Souls I’d say for sure go for it. Dragon Rifle, Amon’s Satellite Laser (that works through walls with no collateral damage), and the Golden Gun is the best loadout for the final mission. But in this game, probably not worth it. I’ve never used it anyway. What are the other items you can get?

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
You do unlock a whole lots of sidestories in Chapter 4-6.

I wouldn't recommend getting the Golden Gun. Guns have been nerfed in this game. Normal guns no longer one hit kill normal enemies (Though the bleed damage from the bullet will eventually finish them). The elemental shotgun have been massively downgraded from major bosskiller to just a peashooter with 5 damage. And the Golden Gun only has 50 damage (from 350 in Y0), making it the 2nd weakest gun in the game.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

achtungnight posted:

Golden Gun- if this were Dead Souls I’d say for sure go for it. Dragon Rifle, Amon’s Satellite Laser (that works through walls with no collateral damage), and the Golden Gun is the best loadout for the final mission. But in this game, probably not worth it. I’ve never used it anyway. What are the other items you can get?
Is that laser at all related to that weird black gently caress You laser So Amon used in Yakuza 0? If not, is there any explanation as to what the gently caress that thing even was? And I mean all the items were listed when I went to spend CP in the video.

You do unlock a whole lots of sidestories in Chapter 4-6.

I wouldn't recommend getting the Golden Gun. Guns have been nerfed in this game. Normal guns no longer one hit kill normal enemies (Though the bleed damage from the bullet will eventually finish them). The elemental shotgun have been massively downgraded from major bosskiller to just a peashooter with 5 damage. And the Golden Gun only has 50 damage (from 350 in Y0), making it the 2nd weakest gun in the game.
Good to know, and I gotta say I'm surprised how many I've gotten so far. Including ones I've yet to do such as all the MesuKing things, I think I've unlocked about half the subtories in the game while only being a third done with all the chapters.

I was never going to, especially because I'm not sure I'd ever earn enough CP to get it. I'd wager to get it, and complete the entirety of the other section of Bob's CP shop, I'd have to get just about (if not all) of the CP in the game. That'd include me doing stuff I don't plan on ever doing like getting high scores in certain entertainment games.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
In Yakuza 4 Amon calls down laser beams on you from a satellite via remote control, among other nasty attacks with no explanation. You help Amon put down his undead ancestor in Dead Souls, Bob awards you the remote.

On the other CP items, I looked at the list again and I think maybe only the Lucky Binding ( another extra xp item) is worth getting. You can skip the rest.

Each hostess has a substory that unlocks when you max out her affection to S rank. It’s good they reduced the number of hostesses in this game from the original if you don’t like that mini game.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Mar 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

achtungnight posted:

In Yakuza 4 Amon calls down laser beams on you from a satellite via remote control, among other nasty attacks with no explanation. You help Amon put down his undead ancestor in Dead Souls, Bob awards you the remote.

On the other CP items, I looked at the list again and I think maybe only the Lucky Binding ( another extra xp item) is worth getting. You can skip the rest.

Each hostess has a substory that unlocks when you max out her affection to S rank. It’s good they reduced the number of hostesses in this game from the original if you don’t like that mini game.
Oh. Well then. Fair enough, I suppose.

Alright, will do.

The minigame itself was alright, but I'm just wondering if it's worth showing or not, the progression to the S Rank.