Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

That's super cool :eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Owlbear Camus posted:

It sounds like I'm gonna put it on my external STL drive right now, thanks for the heads up.

That's going to look gorgeous on my 4k resin printer... after I spend a weekend adding supports.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

This morning I thought about Aliens (the movie). Actually, first I thought about Near Dark (the movie) because someone in a work call was talking about how so few vampire movies were actually good, and I brought up Near Dark.

Then I thought about how Near Dark had 3 cast members from Aliens, as well as Tim Thomerson.

Then I thought about how Tim Thomerson has never appeared in the Alien franchise, which seems really statistically improbable. It seems like that would almost HAVE to happen.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Purging the alien nest in Alien: Isolation did NOT go as planned.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Remulak posted:

Oh man I’m gonna pour one out for King Of The Squibs:
And if you and friends never tried an ‘independent film’ shoot, a blasting cap under a blood filled rubber loving HURTS.

In retrospect, where the hell did that dude get a blasting cap, and why didn’t he put something under it?

I worked on a shoot once where the director invented a new blood gun that was basically a beanbag round except a bloodbag. He insisted on trying it on himself first (good), put on a homemade plate carrier and had somebody shoot him but they missed the plate and hit him basically in the solar plexus and the bag didn't rupture. Director guy fell over and had a small seizure.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Finished the main campaign of Alien: Isolation.

The last hour of the game is too on the rails, IMO

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Also, while I understand they probably couldn't have done it any other way and still have it feel like an "Alien" game, I found my immersion constantly challenged by the nagging thought that there's no reason why Sevastopol station would basically look just like the interior of the Nostromo. This reached its zenith at the end when the controls for detonating the explosive bolts on the maintenance arm look and operate exactly like the device to remove the control rods from the Nostromo's reactor, despite having two completely different purposes like I get they want to make nods to the film but there are limits.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Applewhite posted:

Also, while I understand they probably couldn't have done it any other way and still have it feel like an "Alien" game, I found my immersion constantly challenged by the nagging thought that there's no reason why Sevastopol station would basically look just like the interior of the Nostromo. This reached its zenith at the end when the controls for detonating the explosive bolts on the maintenance arm look and operate exactly like the device to remove the control rods from the Nostromo's reactor, despite having two completely different purposes like I get they want to make nods to the film but there are limits.

I never got far in this game because I am a giant babby who gets scared about video games, but I hear the xenomorph in the game had a somewhat interesting, sort of two-tiered AI that learned from you, and the "super-AI" would give the xeno AI hints about you. Or something like that. Did you feel the xeno was an interesting opponent?

What I managed to see of the visual design, I loved to bits, but in addition to nostalgia it was a decent enough departure from "generic space shooteyman game", IMO.

Same thing with Prey, really, the interior of the space station is kind of a blend of a luxury hotel and science installations, but then oh god the creatures jesus wept why :ohno:

Rappaport fucked around with this message at 11:24 on May 6, 2021

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I didn’t find the alien to be particularly smart or adaptive. Mostly it was outsmarted by tables. I only got caught if I made an obvious mistake or if RNG dropped it out of a vent directly next to me.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I liked how portions of Sevastopol looked just like an airport in the 80's, which made sense considering what the station was.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Iron Crowned posted:

I liked how portions of Sevastopol looked just like an airport in the 80's, which made sense considering what the station was.

Overall I was extremely appreciative that all the tech and interfaces were very 80s. The sound design was great as well.

I really enjoyed the game and my criticisms are purely superficial.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Applewhite posted:

I didn’t find the alien to be particularly smart or adaptive. Mostly it was outsmarted by tables. I only got caught if I made an obvious mistake or if RNG dropped it out of a vent directly next to me.

What difficulty were you playing on?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Xenomrph posted:

What difficulty were you playing on?

Medium (it was my first playthrough)

I’ve started a new game on hard.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 32 days!
I've been watching a playthrough someone did of A:I, and I agree that the game looks amazing. While watching the playthrough, I find that I also agree with the comment I read where someone basically said "the first few times the Xenomorph appears is truly startling and frightening. After the hundredth time though, when you're just trying to get to the next plot point or whatever, seeing it becomes more annoying and irritating than anything else."

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I've been watching a playthrough someone did of A:I, and I agree that the game looks amazing. While watching the playthrough, I find that I also agree with the comment I read where someone basically said "the first few times the Xenomorph appears is truly startling and frightening. After the hundredth time though, when you're just trying to get to the next plot point or whatever, seeing it becomes more annoying and irritating than anything else."

This is accurate, yes, though I'd describe the fear/annoyance feeling is more like two poles of a sine wave.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Applewhite posted:

Overall I was extremely appreciative that all the tech and interfaces were very 80s. The sound design was great as well.

I really enjoyed the game and my criticisms are purely superficial.That's howI feel about it

That's how I feel about it too. I have some minor nitpicks with it but overall I more than got my money's worth, especially as an Alien fan. I just wish they'd expand the license (Terminator, Predator, Halloween) or do an out and out sequel that keeps the same vibe but maybe with some more firepower.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Haha, now that you mention it, an Isolation style Halloween game could be amazing.

Could work in a Friday the 13th setting too, might make for some fun coop multi-player.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
That'd be amazing and I sure would watch other people play it but definitely not myself.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

It’s my birthday and I’ll think about Aliens if I want to.

(I want to)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Code Jockey posted:

Haha, now that you mention it, an Isolation style Halloween game could be amazing.

Could work in a Friday the 13th setting too, might make for some fun coop multi-player.
I've not played it but
https://store.steampowered.com/app/381210/Dead_by_Daylight/

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Forgive me, for I have sinned, I did not think about Aliens yesterday

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Iron Crowned posted:

Forgive me, for I have sinned, I did not think about Aliens yesterday
You are forgiven my child. As penance recite one ultimate badasses and three perfect killing machines. Go forth a gently caress each other over for a goddamn percentage no more.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 32 days!
Got a bit further into the playthrough of Alien: Isolation I've been watching on Youtube, to the part where Amanda Ripley discovers the alien hive near the core of the reactor, and I can definitely see what people mean when they say the game kind of drops off around the third act. Prior to that, the stuff with the xenomorph and the Working Joes that I watched was definitely much more tense gameplay. And again, it has to be said that the game looks amazing. I wouldn't mind just playing a walking simulator/"tourist mode" set in Sevastapol Station, checking out the environments and whatnot (without having to worry about getting headchomped by a xenomorph).

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Yeah the xenomorph is the most annoying part most of the time

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Xenomrph posted:

It’s my birthday and I’ll think about Aliens if I want to.

(I want to)

It was my birthday a few days ago and I also thought about Aliens.

:hfive:

edit: happy birthday!

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I wouldn't mind just playing a walking simulator/"tourist mode" set in Sevastapol Station, checking out the environments and whatnot (without having to worry about getting headchomped by a xenomorph).

If you are playing on PC there are mods that turn off the Alien AI so it just chills out in a vent the whole time.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Had the same problem with Mr X in the Resi 2 remake, scary at first then just an annoyance that's adding five minutes on to your commute to wherever you were going. Very annoying in a game that's clearly intended to be completed multiple times.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Pennywise the Frown posted:

It was my birthday a few days ago and I also thought about Aliens.

:hfive:

edit: happy birthday!

Thank you! Happy belated birthday!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Has there ever been a bird xenomorph? Like a facehugger grabs a big rear end condor or albatross or something. Maybe an emu or ostrich.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Who What Now posted:

Has there ever been a bird xenomorph? Like a facehugger grabs a big rear end condor or albatross or something. Maybe an emu or ostrich.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I thought the Crab one was the most interesting

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Happy birthday, Xenomrph & Pennywise The Frown.

May your dreams be full of electric sheep.

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007
Just got my .PDF of the Colonial Marines sourcebook for the Alien RPG. They've got stat blocks for all the vehicles from the old Kenner toy line. Hell yeah!

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I wouldn't mind just playing a walking simulator/"tourist mode" set in Sevastapol Station, checking out the environments and whatnot (without having to worry about getting headchomped by a xenomorph).

I was just thinking about this, in a VR headset type set up. And then I thought about that with a goddamn alien hunting me and crapped my pants.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Mutant Headcrab posted:

Just got my .PDF of the Colonial Marines sourcebook for the Alien RPG. They've got stat blocks for all the vehicles from the old Kenner toy line. Hell yeah!

I caved and preordered the sourcebook once I learned the PDF was coming out today, I want my PDF right goddamn now.

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

I caved and preordered the sourcebook once I learned the PDF was coming out today, I want my PDF right goddamn now.

I've only had a chance to skim it, but holy poo poo this thing is loaded down with lore. There are also comic references that I sure as poo poo never expected, like stats for the mutant xeno from Aliens: Kidnapped.

*EDIT*

They've got the Berserkers from Aliens: Berserk. Guess they couldn't license the old comic art, but the new visual design isn't too bad.

Mutant Headcrab fucked around with this message at 21:26 on May 11, 2021

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Mutant Headcrab posted:

I've only had a chance to skim it, but holy poo poo this thing is loaded down with lore. There are also comic references that I sure as poo poo never expected, like stats for the mutant xeno from Aliens: Kidnapped.

*EDIT*

They've got the Berserkers from Aliens: Berserk. Guess they couldn't license the old comic art, but the new visual design isn't too bad.
The MOX unit is actually from 'Aliens: Tribes' (the ones from Berserker were MAX units). I'd have to double-check the comic but I think they got the design right.

Also there's a pretty funny easter egg on pages 200 and 203.
It's me, my name, "Dellamarggio". Brazen and incompetent indeed. :v:

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

The MOX unit is actually from 'Aliens: Tribes' (the ones from Berserker were MAX units). I'd have to double-check the comic but I think they got the design right.

Also there's a pretty funny easter egg on pages 200 and 203.
It's me, my name, "Dellamarggio". Brazen and incompetent indeed. :v:

Tribes! The one that I never read!

Also, that is pretty funny. Pretty great too! Congrats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Mutant Headcrab posted:

The what now ?

<clickety><clickety><clickety><clickety><clickety><clickety><clickety>

Pre-order confirmed !

I'm on their mailing list for Pete's sake ! They'd better not forget to tell me about the second volume of At The Mountains of Madness.