Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Elderbean posted:

Pretty sure the dropship pilot in Starcraft has tons of lines takem directly from Aliens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yHekZp2yx0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

feelix posted:

Aliens is a really bad movie, OP. Alien was a wonderful, unique, rich film with interesting characters, while Aliens is a lovely action movie full of cardboard cutout cliches. It's loving rear end.

I used to think the same way until I watched Aliens in a theater on the big screen. loving amazing!

The thing that ruined Aliens is that idiotic special edition that came out on video. Totally ruins the pacing of the movie and all the sinister foreshadowing build up in the beginning. Theatrical cut ONLY!!!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
It's only 17 minutes longer collectively. I think it establishes some much needed information.

However. If you're watching it for the first time, yeah, you're better off with the theatrical release. But for people that have seen it 142 times, the special addition adds some more information and fun.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

^^^ edit: VR.... I'd probably have a gun on hand to shoot myself just in case

Yeah survival games are definitely not my thing. I don't like tension at all unless it's in small doses. I just heard it was good and it's closer to Alien than Aliens so I figured it was an interesting change.

I'm just a big weenie and am literally afraid to play a game.

Yeah it's pretty much wall to wall tension. And it's not just the Alien that you're against, it has robots that have gone crazy too (you can kill them though).

I loved the game, usually I'm a shoot em up guy but the ambiance and the story kept me hooked.

Eat to the Beat!
Feb 7, 2006
complacent and subdued
I skimmed through this thread looking for images of Sigourney Weaver in those low cut panties. I'm so disappointed in all of you.. and now, in myself. Good job.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
This is a classy thread bitch. About the best movie ever.

But I mean, I'm not gonna complain or anything.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2DkmScR_U8

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Vasquez is one of the baddest bitches around and an excellent role model for young women.

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007
The Pulse Rifles props were built on Thompson submachine guns. The under-barrel grenade launchers were Remington 870 shotguns with SPAS-12 parts added on.

The original props were brown, but set lighting made them look green. The green color was later adopted as the official color

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I'd 100% be the dad in this article,

https://www.rogerebert.com/mzs/watching-aliens-for-the-first-time-again-with-a-bunch-of-kids

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Genesplicer posted:

The fun part about the Sassy Latina, Vasquez, was that the actress, Jenette Goldstien, was a favorite of Cameron's. She played Vasquez in "Aliens", Janelle, John Connor's foster mother in "Terminator 2", and the Irish mother with the small children in "Titanic".

She's also in "Near Dark" which is a movie about a family vampires in Oklahoma that also stars Bill Paxton and Lance Henriksen.

It was directed by Kathryn Bigelow who wound marrying James Cameron. Oh... and James Cameron has a cameo in it. There's a bar fight scene that's very reminiscent of T2.

Wikipedia posted:

Bigelow knew (and later married) director James Cameron, who directed Aliens, a 1986 film that shares three cast members (Paxton, Goldstein, and Henriksen) with Near Dark. A cinema seen in the background early in the film has Aliens on its marquee and Cameron played the man who "flips off" Severen. The film was scored by the German electronic music group Tangerine Dream.

Oh yeah, and it kicks loving rear end.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTEPaF5TjWU

Julius CSAR fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Mar 4, 2019

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Julius CSAR posted:

She's also in "Near Dark" which is a movie about a family vampires in Oklahoma that also stars Bill Paxton and Lance Henriksen.

Welp, I'm in.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

It's the closest thing you could get to a Aliens cast reunion.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
One of my favorite Aliens things ever is the tabletop manual "Colonial Marines Technical Manual" which I won't because of :filez: but a quick google search should turn it up. It's peppered with "quotes" from USCM troops and this one is probably my favorite...

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

That's cool as gently caress.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Oh and speaking of Near Dark, the movie got a new DVD(blu-ray?) release around the time "Twilight" was popular and the re-did the marketing something fierce...

The DVD cover went from a version this image

to THIS...

I really hope a bunch of Twilight fans bought it only to have their minds destroyed by a vampire movie that is basically a repudiation of the way vampires are in the Twilight films.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Lol Jesus loving christ.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
poo poo....... MORE TRIVIA

this may have been previously mentioned but Al Matthews, the guy who plays the cigar chomping Sgt. Apone had served with the actual Marines as an NCO during Vietnam, so he wasn't really performing so much as just doing what he had always been trained to be... a tough as nails combat proven jarhead NCO

Al Mathews posted:

I spent six years in the United States Marine Corps; I hold thirteen combat awards and decorations, including two purple hearts. I was the first black Marine in the 1st Marine Division in Vietnam to be meritoriously promoted to the rank of sergeant; I served with Kilo Battery, Fourth Battalion, 11th Marines, 1st Marine Division, of that I am very proud.

Here's a picture of the "platoon" celebrating Mathews' birthday on set.

I know these people are all actors, but the fact that it's JUST the infantry guys in this image (and their pet robot) and the tired, satisfied looks on their faces, and my experiences in the military tell me that that crew would probably having no issue actually following Al Mathews into real combat.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Julius CSAR posted:

Oh and speaking of Near Dark, the movie got a new DVD(blu-ray?) release around the time "Twilight" was popular and the re-did the marketing something fierce...

The DVD cover went from a version this image

to THIS...

I really hope a bunch of Twilight fans bought it only to have their minds destroyed by a vampire movie that is basically a repudiation of the way vampires are in the Twilight films.

Lmbo

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Julius CSAR posted:

One of my favorite Aliens things ever is the tabletop manual "Colonial Marines Technical Manual" which I won't because of :filez: but a quick google search should turn it up. It's peppered with "quotes" from USCM troops and this one is probably my favorite...

Indeed, Aliens is a work of fiction that is on the same level of quality as tabletop RPGs.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

feelix posted:

Indeed, Aliens is a work of fiction that is on the same level of quality as tabletop RPGs.

Oh good, this dude is back. I hope you get probed again... BY ALIENS LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

I'm this kid:

quote:

Another seemed just a little bit scared, maybe, and kept suggesting other viewing options, including "Guardians of the Galaxy," "Dr. Who," and (for some reason) "Saturday Night Live."

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

500 good dogs posted:

I'm this kid:

I'm this kid

quote:

Frost insisting that "it doesn't matter" when the "poontang" is Arcturian confused a couple of kids. "It means he's bisexual," one explained.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

feelix posted:

And yet, you keep reading this thread and making GBS threads it up :confused:

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Julius CSAR posted:

I'm this kid

lmao

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Dad goals

Julius CSAR posted:

Also thanks I was thinking about going to bed but now I have to read about the USMC

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think about Aliens every day op it's the greatest movie along with Alien.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Mutant Headcrab posted:

The Pulse Rifles props were built on Thompson submachine guns. The under-barrel grenade launchers were Remington 870 shotguns with SPAS-12 parts added on.

The original props were brown, but set lighting made them look green. The green color was later adopted as the official color

Also the M56 Smart Gun was mostly based off of the MG-42 used by the German army. They used steady-cam gear to make them more.... awesome.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Also the M56 Smart Gun was mostly based off of the MG-42 used by the German army. They used steady-cam gear to make them more.... awesome.

Also handlebar parts from motorcycles

onedayholiday
Dec 6, 2013

Grimey Drawer
goddamn this movie is so good. anyone who says it isn't should be forced to watch it Clockwork Orange style until they learn to love it

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

onedayholiday posted:

goddamn this movie is so good. anyone who says it isn't should be forced to watch it Clockwork Orange style until they learn to love it

I kinda agree.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s Camerons masterpiece. But Terminator is so so so close

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
Excepting that dude who seemingly considers Aliens what Laura Loomer thinks of Twitter most of yall know what the gently caress is up. Aliens is the goddamn best. I saw it in the later 80s when I was like 12 but it would be a couple years later when I would become a fanboy of it thanks to the Aliens Dark Horse trilogy. However it has lead to me buying a whole gently caress ton of Alien and Predator related merchandise over the years as my budget and desire has allowed.

Permit me to share with you the non videogame, normal DVD, or comic related stuff here because I have so much of this crap and this will already be stupid long. And was helpful because it got me to do some dusting. But it also shows I need a bigger storage tub shelf thingie for all my Alien stuff which will in many cases not need to be dusted because it'll be in a storage thing and I will know where it all is when I need a Xenomorphical pick me up. And yes I have had multiple nightmares involving them. (But also Michael Myers, zombies, and nuclear APOCALYPSE of varying degrees. Still the worst ones involve being at work or somehow being back in the military. A therapist would have a field day with my sadbrain.)

We begin with what novels I can find and a couple other books. The hardback version of the first Dark Horse miniseries was a gift from a friend and I never need open it having the original trade paperback. So it can be pristine compared to a well read copy I've had since.. 90? 91? Somewhere in there.

I got this cheap but in rough rear end shape. But it's a mass market 70s Alien boardgame. Aimed at kids. I have sadly never found anyone to play it with. :smith: luckily I have gotten the odd game of Space Hulk and Tyranid Attack in which are Warhammer 40k NOT ALIENS games. Also I have a couple other similar type games where you have a thing full of not Xenomorphs to kill or to escape from. They all don't really fit the scope of this megapost.

The Aliens rpg I won't ever run because the rule system is wonky and I can do it better in Chaosium Basic Roleplaying or D6 System. And that sought after Colonial Marines book. I think it got a reissue recently? It was going for fat stacks for a while... sadly no I do not have the Aliens boardgame and expansion Leading Edge made. And it keeps going for mad amounts for being cheap paper.

I do however have tons of the only good Wizkids Clix game, Horrorclix. Multiples of the main Alien set and also the Predator set not shown as they are in with the rest of those minis. Eagle eyed folks may notice non AvP models in one box as I was playing it a few months back with a friend but I did GATHERING OF JUGGALOS AT CAMP CRYSTAL LAKE. Jason is a loving beat stick that even the mightiest of the Dark Carnival cannot stop. Yes this does mean you can have Aliens vs Predator vs Freddy vs Jason vs Hellboy vs lots of generic horror stuff that is totally not Buffy or Ghostbusters.

Let's get more books in here before I forget including 2 that were constantly advertised in early 90s Heavy Metal issues one of which is my most read Coffee Table book.

My Blu Rays and a model kit I still haven't built since 99? 2000? A long rear end time.

Let's get to the birth control section of my collection! Friends actually bought me that big Hicks v Xeno box. It stays in there to not get dusty. As we will see some poo poo really gets dusty and cleaning Xenomorph exoskeletons is a gently caress.

We see the Mcfarlane Alien Queen which broke and I had to glue her arm back. Not that she had any move and play value ever other than looking great for the 25 bucks she was. The Dropship sadly has a cockpit defect you can't see until you take it out and it was from a store with a NO RETURNS policy. I suppose I could try whining to the manufacturer? A blind box Xenomorph with egg I got at Target, and then most of the Mez Its Alien toys. They generally have fun little play features like chestbursting captive, facehugger on Astronaut Kane, Alien jaw action.. they are fun even if the Ripley is weird as gently caress looking.

First half of my other toy and Minimates stuff pics. I like Minimates because they are cheap and neat. Also because I can more or less remake the Aliens boardgame with them as I think I have everyone from the game scenarios and only Ferro missing from the main cast. Because nobody needs Weyland Yutani exec toys. Not even little ones. The only issue is making the game boards. The rules are easy enough to find scans but the boards require rasterbating or spending lots of cash on nice big rear end poster images. There are even fan redoes of the boards that look great but again making them into a good playable game board.

Most of the rest. Pretty much every Marine here. And the old Kenner Mantis Alien! Some Kubrick blind box figures for maximum Ian Holm watches John Hurt get mouthraped action! Some of those Mattel Lego type figures. A Kenner Alien my friends found for me at a flea market in the later 90s because they knew my love for the Alien. That Reaction line remake of the Star Wars sized Alien Kenner was gonna do till they discovered the outrage over R movie as toys for kids. The Neca Aliens Xeno first issue. (You can get boxed ones at Target now. Basically the same but in 2 color variations. I don't need another one or two especially at 25-30 bux.) A Sci Fi pop culture blind box Xeno too!

Some blind box re colors of said remade Kenner Alien. The center one is a pretty transparent gold with metallic flakes while the other 2 are blood splattered glow in the dark CIA types who are observing me play old rear end computer games on an actual Mac IIsi using a VGA dongle thing. Because I do many different stupid rear end things! I just rarely go ALL IN on any one thing. It's a buffet of nerdy nonsense. There are many cheap things to be sampled to ensure I die alone!

And we end this photographic evidence of my consumer whoredom/shame with some more non toy McFarlane toys. Again I buy cheap mostly. So I'm only mostly a dumb gently caress. Mostly.

But comics and DVDs and Videogames will be a post to embarrass me on another day as its snowing outside and I gotta do more on my long rear end driveway to keep it from being hell. On the upside there are still a few other goons who are bigger fanboys or girls than me but is this comfort that I could be worse?

:negative:

Vvv:the rpg is the infamous one whose rules are actually lighter than the game it shares a ruleset with called Living Steel? Or is it Phoenix Command? It's one of those that also did a Coppola Dracula and a Terminator game. They had an Aliens (and an apparently poo poo Dracula) boardgame that there is a pretty sweet flash game version of but it'll kick you in the dick. Sadly guess which one I don't have?

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Mar 4, 2019

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

The Aliens tabletop game is infamous for having a ridiculous amount of calculations for a simple rifle shot. Zack Parsons wrote up an enjoyable adventure where Hudson and crew battle a wizard: http://www.thebadguyswin.com/2017/03/aliens-adventure-game-1991-the-hunt-for-elminster/

When I first watched I had no idea Paul Reiser was going to be evil. When he turns off the camera feed, so great

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

drat I forgot about those guys, thanks for reminding me.

One of my favourite things from the frontpage was when he described a cave slime or something as a loyal friend and a good listener.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

The Aliens tabletop game is infamous for having a ridiculous amount of calculations for a simple rifle shot. Zack Parsons wrote up an enjoyable adventure where Hudson and crew battle a wizard: http://www.thebadguyswin.com/2017/03/aliens-adventure-game-1991-the-hunt-for-elminster/

When I first watched I had no idea Paul Reiser was going to be evil. When he turns off the camera feed, so great

Steve: “Any questions?” Gorman asks.

Zack: “Yeah, how do I teleport out of this chickenshit adventuring party?”

Steve: Apone is not happy. He has you run laps around the hangar while the dropship is loaded up.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

CelticPredator posted:

It’s Camerons masterpiece. But Terminator is so so so close

Terminator 2 is actually better but only because it's funny in places and it's real close

E: goddamit I just remembered the gently caress you rear end in a top hat bit now I don't know what to think

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, those aliens from that movie were pretty goddamn sexy amirite?

wut

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
hot take: the theatrical cut of Aliens is one of the best movies ever made, but the Special Edition basically turbofucks the movie's pacing and reduces it to mediocrity

like I don't hate Hudson's ultimate badass speech, or the sentry gun scene, but that whole bit with Newt's parents legit fucks up the structure of the movie really badly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Well yeah, when most of your lines are almost all 10 words or less, it's hard to come up with completely original lines.