Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Avatar is pretty...pretty forgettable! :haw:

EDIT: Snipe tax

It's a face towel I use for the gym and sadly no one has been ever freaked out by the guy benching with a Facehugger.

Kaiju Cage Match fucked around with this message at 15:45 on May 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Rob Sheridan (an artist who has worked with NIN) released a new mask that is alien inspired.

https://robsheridan.threadless.com/designs/space-creature/accessories/face-mask/layered

I have one of his glitch masks, they are pretty nice.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

Dank, was looking for some styles, picked up a few glitch ones. Some days you feel Betamax, others VHS know what I mean.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
How do yall handle the stealth mode mechanic in ALIEN RPG, do you just have the players take turns like a board game or what

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I like Avatar.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

AFewBricksShy posted:

Rob Sheridan (an artist who has worked with NIN) released a new mask that is alien inspired.

https://robsheridan.threadless.com/designs/space-creature/accessories/face-mask/layered

I have one of his glitch masks, they are pretty nice.

That's pretty rad.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

SilvergunSuperman posted:

That's pretty rad.

He just added a predator one too (and others)

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

Aliens > all

“Who were the engineers?”

Who gives a gently caress engineer deez nuts bitch

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Prometheus was good but too many dumb fans wanted to rehash xenos chasing people.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Shaocaholica posted:

Prometheus was good but too many dumb fans wanted to rehash xenos chasing people.

What parts of Prometheus do you consider "good"? I think there's some interesting parts that could've made a better movie but as an Alien prequel, it doesn't do it for me.

As a Blade Runner sequel though...

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The only good part of Prometheus was the scene where David activates the navigation computer and holds the earth in his hand. That was the only good scene.

The engineers as an idea were cool but like they hosed it up really bad. Its not even particularly original, its your standard precursor alien sci fi trope.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Android Apocalypse posted:

What parts of Prometheus do you consider "good"? I think there's some interesting parts that could've made a better movie but as an Alien prequel, it doesn't do it for me.

As a Blade Runner sequel though...

First stop thinking about it as an alien prequel. It has some issues but was good enough to keep going which Ridley and the studio didn’t and instead made a dumb alien movie instead.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Retconning the xenomorphs not as some ancient haunting entity but rather a recent creation was its greatest crime.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I thought prometheus was good in the sense that many of the set pieces and sequences of events, taken seperately from the movie as a whole, were sorta rad.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Almost as if it would have made everyone happy if they’d made the movie an original property and not had anything at all to do with the Alien franchise.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Torquemada posted:

Almost as if it would have made everyone happy if they’d made the movie an original property and not had anything at all to do with the Alien franchise.

This but I think it was fine to keep in the same universe just not so much poorly executed fan service.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Man I miss the days when poo poo was just a book or a TV show or a movie and not part of a "universe". Like it's not your fault and I'm sorry cause posting this basically looks like I'm calling you out but jeeez

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!
I don't know about the rest of Prometheus, but that scene with the auto-doc removing the alien squid thing from the red haired lady was friggin creepy.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

purple death ray posted:

Man I miss the days when poo poo was just a book or a TV show or a movie and not part of a "universe". Like it's not your fault and I'm sorry cause posting this basically looks like I'm calling you out but jeeez

But all those aliens comics are ‘in universe’ even if not concretely cinematic canon. Those comics are great.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Perhaps the truth is somewhere in the middle

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Jay_Zombie posted:

I don't know about the rest of Prometheus, but that scene with the auto-doc removing the alien squid thing from the red haired lady was friggin creepy.

That's about the only scene I remember.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

Pennywise the Frown posted:

That's about the only scene I remember.

Well that one and the "Shaw, why don't you just run off to the si.... nevermind" scene.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
I remember a squid loving Handsome Squidward to death.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
Prometheus is good but its because its SPACE DILBERT as because like Dark Helmet has told us "Even in the future nothing works!". People don't work either as the world is finally starting to figure out. An inept egomaniac megacorp owner is afraid of dying, has his daughter cover for him while hiring people who are presumably skilled in their fields but as most people are ACTUALLY NOT, and they go to space.

Also Noomi was banging in it. And Fassbender was a goddamn boss.

But it's not exactly a movie that necessarily intended its lesson to be PEOPLE ARE GENERALLY DUMB. It's just what its actually about. (Unlike say Se7en which is obviously about urban and moral decay in the 90s. Whose audience didn't go in expecting such a thing.) As an Alien prequel its butt. As a very lovely to look at movie that is more or less OFFICE SPACE IN SPACE it owns.

I mean hasn't anyone ever had a job or been around people in their jobs or just seen the current US White House? Prometheus is REALITY through a sci fi lens is all like the best speculative fiction should be. It teaches us important lessons about the Human Condition.

(That nobody learns. Also see much better overall teaching sci fi film Jurassic Park. Wisdom can be learned if only we open our hearts, eyes, and mind. Also I would like a #2 medium, no pickles or onions on the burger, and an iced coffee for the drink 1 cream and sugar please.)

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

It's my turn to pick the movie for quarantine zoom movie nite this time and I am picking Aliens.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I thought about Aliens and Predators so much a few days back that I bought the "predators: 3-movie collection" on blu-ray

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Captain Rufus posted:

Prometheus is good but its because its SPACE DILBERT as because like Dark Helmet has told us "Even in the future nothing works!". People don't work either as the world is finally starting to figure out. An inept egomaniac megacorp owner is afraid of dying, has his daughter cover for him while hiring people who are presumably skilled in their fields but as most people are ACTUALLY NOT, and they go to space.

Also Noomi was banging in it. And Fassbender was a goddamn boss.

But it's not exactly a movie that necessarily intended its lesson to be PEOPLE ARE GENERALLY DUMB. It's just what its actually about. (Unlike say Se7en which is obviously about urban and moral decay in the 90s. Whose audience didn't go in expecting such a thing.) As an Alien prequel its butt. As a very lovely to look at movie that is more or less OFFICE SPACE IN SPACE it owns.

I mean hasn't anyone ever had a job or been around people in their jobs or just seen the current US White House? Prometheus is REALITY through a sci fi lens is all like the best speculative fiction should be. It teaches us important lessons about the Human Condition.

(That nobody learns. Also see much better overall teaching sci fi film Jurassic Park. Wisdom can be learned if only we open our hearts, eyes, and mind. Also I would like a #2 medium, no pickles or onions on the burger, and an iced coffee for the drink 1 cream and sugar please.)
Nah it's very bad because the people in it are dumb in a dumb way. People do dumb things in Aliens but they do so believably. The rookie lieutenant makes some bad calls and then goes to pieces when poo poo hits the fan. The cocky overconfident guy cracks when he hits an actual challenge. The greedy executive bites off more than he can chew, then makes things worse when he tries to cover his rear end. In Prometheus the map guy... gets lost. The biologist... ignores threat displays. The archaeologists... just loving everything about them makes them poo poo archaeologists. And at no point is it explained or even hinted at in the film why the world's richest man chose to staff his super futuristic spaceship with incompetents.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Splicer posted:

And at no point is it explained or even hinted at in the film why the world's richest man chose to staff his super futuristic spaceship with incompetents.

Looking at current billionaires not only is it possible they would staff their ship with incompetents, but more than likely.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Splicer posted:

Nah it's very bad because the people in it are dumb in a dumb way.

I don't think I will ever watch Prometheus again due to how angry it makes me because of lovely they are written.
"This is David, he isn't human, aren't you David. Your poo poo David, you always will be won't you David. Why do you even bother to do anything David, you will never be one of us. No don't turn evil on us David."
*blank Fassbender stare*

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Torquemada posted:

This right here.

Shaocaholica posted:

But all those aliens comics are ‘in universe’ even if not concretely cinematic canon. Those comics are great.
I talked with the author of the Alien RPG about exactly that (because the RPG has a ton of references to the comics and stuff):

https://imgur.com/a/ZMFcQI3

Biplane posted:

Looking at current billionaires not only is it possible they would staff their ship with incompetents, but more than likely.
The book ‘The Weyland Yutani Report’ points out that the people in Prometheus are so dumb because Vickers went out of her way to hire the dumbest motherfuckers she could find, in order to sabotage her father’s mission.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Deliberately sabotaging a space voyage, one of the most dangerous endeavours imaginable, for short term personal gain? Nothing more billionaire than that.

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency
So I tested out my new home theatre settings with the stretch of Aliens from Gorman's speech about the "bug hunt" through to the end of the first firefight. The sound design in this movie is sensational, and like a poster mentioned earlier, you're pretty much on edge the entire time once they're on the planet. Even when they're scoping out the labs and the "Area is Secured Ripley" it still feels tense. Amazing stuff.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Xenomrph posted:

The book ‘The Weyland Yutani Report’ points out that the people in Prometheus are so dumb because Vickers went out of her way to hire the dumbest motherfuckers she could find, in order to sabotage her father’s mission.

Splicer posted:

And at no point is it explained or even hinted at in the film why the world's richest man chose to staff his super futuristic spaceship with incompetents.
It wasn't though, so it's just a bunch of supposed experts being terrible at their fields. It honestly smacks of retcon.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 13:06 on May 30, 2020

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

:vince:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MllGbvFBP2k

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

A lot of chuds in the comments crying about how bad rear end women were better in movies back in the day because they weren't all up in your face with it :qq:

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"
Characters doing dumb things is a staple of horror movies. Especially if the character is a skeptical scientist, you known that smug a-hole is going to get it the worst!

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Biplane posted:

A lot of chuds in the comments crying about how bad rear end women were better in movies back in the day because they weren't all up in your face with it :qq:

I am absolutely fine with women being all up in my face with it. :wiggle:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Sunswipe posted:

I am absolutely fine with women being all up in my face with it. :wiggle:

Glad to see someone else who fucks around here

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Biplane posted:

Glad to see someone else who fucks around here

im a god drat sexual tyrannosaurus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

playing Predator: Hunting Grounds and watching the Predator pick off people in lowest-health order and then realizing you're next is a hell of a feeling

I give the game 10/10 Predators, would Predator again A+++++++++