Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Zadok Allen posted:

I’ll have much more respect for Disney’s Romulus: An Alien Story if they show restraint by NOT including an Alien Queen.

:smug:

It will instead star an Alien Princess who sings about wanting something more than ruling over a nest of perfect organisms

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Doctor Zero posted:

… and that guy who was giving tours of the Titanic, it’s pretty drat prescient.

James Cameron?

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
How long does an adult Xenomorph live for? Weeks?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

ChairmanMauzer posted:

James Cameron?

The other guy

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titan_submersible_implosion

The moron that said ‘safety interferes with innovation’ and used a loving Logitech game controller to steer his deathtrap.

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 25, 2024

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Kosmo Gallion posted:

How long does an adult Xenomorph live for? Weeks?

The original concept for ‘Alien’ was “days”, if the expanded universe is anything to go by then the current answer is “indefinitely”.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
If they do live indefinitely, what does one do with its time when it's successfully cocooned or eaten every single crew member on some ship it's boarded?

Play basketball?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

If they do live indefinitely, what does one do with its time when it's successfully cocooned or eaten every single crew member on some ship it's boarded?

Play basketball?

Presumably it goes into some form of hibernation.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Mister Speaker posted:

Play basketball?

Watches Lawrence of Arabia and dies its roots blonde.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I'm trying to remember Alien: Covenant… does David's hair grow?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Android Apocalypse posted:

I'm trying to remember Alien: Covenant… does David's hair grow?

Yes.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Bonus materials give explanation as to why characters do idiotic things: they are idiots.

I thought bonus material was relegated to head canon?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ruddiger posted:

Yeah their heads are idiots.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ruddiger posted:

Depends on the material, some of it (like the crew manifest easter egg from the old ‘Alien’ DVD, or the revelation that LV-233 and LV-426 orbit the same planet from the Prometheus blu-ray) has been incorporated into other stuff later on.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Xenomrph posted:

Depends on the material, some of it (like the crew manifest easter egg from the old ‘Alien’ DVD, or the revelation that LV-233 and LV-426 orbit the same planet from the Prometheus blu-ray) has been incorporated into other stuff later on.

Wait, what? Really? So much for Acheron being some super distant planetoid with a strange ancient distress beacon nobody has heard before. It’s practically a tourist hub. :jerkbag:

Dirt5o8
Nov 6, 2008

EUGENE? Where's my fuckin' money, Eugene?
https://movieweb.com/alien-romulus-practical-effects-cgi-director-fede-alvarez-comments/

Looks like Mr. Alvarez is leaning towards practical effects, puppets, and animatronics. Went so far as to bring back the Aliens puppeteers from early movies and helping the old dudes work the puppets during shooting. Good news id say

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Dirt5o8 posted:

https://movieweb.com/alien-romulus-practical-effects-cgi-director-fede-alvarez-comments/

Looks like Mr. Alvarez is leaning towards practical effects, puppets, and animatronics. Went so far as to bring back the Aliens puppeteers from early movies and helping the old dudes work the puppets during shooting. Good news id say

:allears:

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Real "getting the band back together" vibes

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Happy Easter to all goons who celebrate.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Owlbear Camus posted:

That Cadbury Creme Egg is massive but not that tasty. 0/10 would not recommend.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
Gosh, I better come in closer for a better look!

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

redshirt posted:

Gosh, I better come in closer for a better look!

Good post/av combo

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Owlbear Camus posted:

I thought the egg used in the teaser trailer was much smaller. Guess I'm wrong.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
https://x.com/steveasbell/status/1774146836674310306?s=20

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Owlbear Camus posted:

I wouldn't fit in that dress.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
From the Aliens Expanded Instagram, which showed up on my search feed:

Behind the scenes view of the queen in the throne room.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

:rubby:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

:lol:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

its making me think

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

I mean, if you consider the potential applications of the Xeno, Burke was right!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

he was trying to make the number go up and fulfilling his fiduciary duty as an officer of a publicly-traded company, simple as

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

I played Alien RPG a few years ago and enjoyed it. It was fun getting into the roles of the different crewmembers (original for the game) and using that to guide your choices as your stress level went up.

The rpg is flat-out excellent, maybe my favorite ttrpg. The rules really fit the setting and the background info is well presented.

Zadok Allen
Oct 9, 2023

Incredible

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

For many years now we've all considered Carter Burke the 'villain' of the so-called LV426 incident, but have you really looked at his story? The man did nothing wrong.

A woman appeared from several decades in cryosleep and spun a bizarre yarn about 'xenomorphs' that kill to reproduced, and yet named the planed as one already surveyed and colonized? And we're supposed to believe that somehow the survey teams missed an alien spaceship, especially one that was broadcasting a signal? Entirely implausible. And sure, the conspiracy theorists among you will claim the company 'was aware' and 'suppressed the information' but why would they do such a thing? Why bother engaging in a very expensive terraforming project on a planet like that?

Furthermore, look at the so-called 'leaked' story. Ellen Ripley claims that her crew were killed by this 'mysterious creature' and that she was forced to blow it up in order to kill the creature. A creature, she further claims, actually snuck onboard her escape pod anyway and that she 'heroically' fought off. Then, 50 years later, LV-426 goes silent, which could have been something as simple as a broken transmitter, but Burke is willing to believe Ripley and gives her a chance to consult on a potential alien threat and redeem herself.

Now let us look at what follows. The Sulaco, along with its Space Marines, go to LV-426 and once again communication is lost. The reactor on LV-426 goes critical, destroying the colony. Several survivors, including Ellen Ripley, but not the much-blamed Mr Burke, return to the Sulaco. Then, conveniently, a disaster occurs which kills all the survivors except Ripley. She miraculously survives and lands on the prison colony of "Fury" 161. and Wayland-Yutani is called to retrieve her. In the period of time between the call and their arrival, most of the population of the colony is killed. When they arrive they find Ripley desperately trying to escape from them, at which point she takes her own life. In the search of the colony no evidence is found of so-called 'alien' species, and the Bishop-type android whose data banks could supposedly provide evidence was found to be permanently disabled by Ripley herself. Attempts to recover the Sulaco also lead to its destruction from seemingly unknown sources.

Now the 'popular story' is that the cruel Burke attempted to use Ripley as some sort of broodmare for one of these Aliens. This of course makes no sense. There is no way such a creature would get past quarantine, and the act would be reported by the Space Marines. Even so what possible benefit could it bring? Anyone who could corroborate such a wild rumor is conveniently dead, and nobody can quite explain where the 'detailed' account of the events on LV-426 came from considering the base and the Sulaco were both destroyed in mysterious circumstances.

So, dear reader, I ask you which is more likely. That Carter Burke is the monster that people claim, or that the real villain was Ripley herself. What is more likely, that a space monster of some kind killed everyone but Ripley on not one but three different occasions, or that Ripley herself was a madwoman desperate for attention? She herself killed the crew of the Nostromo and destructed the ship, then repeated the same act on LV-426 by sabotaging the reactor. She coerced or forced Lt. Hicks to take her back to the Sulaco, likely using the unknown child in the second escape pod as some kind of leverage. Then, once they were on the ship, she disabled the Bishop-type android, sabotaged the escape pods, and assured she (and the corpses of her unlucky victims) would land on an inhabited planet. She attempted to murder again, only to be caught in the act of triggering another self-destruct by the Wayland-Yutani employees, and chose to take her own life rather than face the consequences or answer hard questions.

So I ask you again. Is Carter Burke truly the monster we've been lead to believe by mere rumor and hearsay? Or are we conveniently blaming him so we don't have to face the more horrible truth, that we were all taken in by one of the most prolific serial killers of the age?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ChatGPT running wild

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

ChatGPT running wild

Hey, I wrote that lovely thing by hand. :smith:

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

ImpAtom posted:

So I ask you again. Is Carter Burke truly the monster we've been lead to believe by mere rumor and hearsay? Or are we conveniently blaming him so we don't have to face the more horrible truth, that we were all taken in by one of the most prolific serial killers of the age?

I run a game of the Alien rpg.

The PCs work for the Company and their current main adversaries are radical ecoterrorists out to kill colonists and destroy terraforming equipment. The name of the ecoterrorist group is "the LNs." After a couple of sessions they found out the group is named after their hero Ellen Ripley, who managed to destroy a gigantic space refinery and a whole planet's worth of terraforming equipment single handed.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Cessna posted:

I run a game of the Alien rpg.

The PCs work for the Company and their current main adversaries are radical ecoterrorists out to kill colonists and destroy terraforming equipment. The name of the ecoterrorist group is "the LNs." After a couple of sessions they found out the group is named after their hero Ellen Ripley, who managed to destroy a gigantic space refinery and a whole planet's worth of terraforming equipment single handed.

Is there much difficulty running it as a campaign? It seems geared towards one-shots, or something like the movies where only a couple characters survive between "episodes"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Is there much difficulty running it as a campaign? It seems geared towards one-shots, or something like the movies where only a couple characters survive between "episodes"

So far I've killed off several PCs, but I try to keep a survivor or two to have some continuity between adventures. My players are okay with this, they know not to get too attached to their characters.

That's just my game, though. The published adventures (Heart of Darkness, Chariots of the Gods, etc) are pretty lethal; they don't really need a group to carry through all the way from start to finish. If anything you're probably better off just using the pre-generated characters that come with each adventure and treating them as sorta-linked one-shots.