Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Man, Sigourney Weaver rules even more than I thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Adhemar posted:

They also had to do it for the chess gag; “queen takes bishop”.

I don't know whether to applaud or shove your face-first into a xenomorph egg.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I;m thinking about thos Aliens

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I;m thinking about thos Aliens.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I want to take Charles Dutton's character from Alien 3 and put him in a much better Alien movie.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Gibson's Alien 3 was the one with Space Commie commandos and a giant space station that ends up full of people turning into Aliens because reasons and Ripley is barely in it so it's basically Alien 3: The Hicks and Bishop Show (and I mean that in the best possible way), right? I read it on the net way back in the 1990s and liked it.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Linux Pirate posted:

I think this got a re-release recently.

Yeah, the dude who did the last three Hitchhiker's Guide radio series is producing an audio version and Michael Biehn is playing Hicks again (but somehow Lance Henriksen wasn't available).

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Xenomrph posted:

Lance Henriksen is in it as Bishop.

That's awesome! I looked up the cast list but couldn't find his name.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I get what you're saying but in the finished film the direction and cinematography aren't the problems. The problem is by and large Josh MeToo's loving garbage sack of a script. I don't even remember most of the scenes with the Alien(s) except Dan Hedaya (maybe?) getting bit in the back of the head. All I remember is the 90s Xtreeeeeeme Edgy Space Badass Version of the Burger King Kids Club (right down to the wheelchair dude) and a comatose Winona Ryder as The Robot.

Hell, I can't remember a single thing Ron Perlman did in that film besides not die.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I want to take Charles Dutton's character from Alien 3 and put him in a much better Alien movie.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I;m still thinking about thos aliens

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Glenn Quebec posted:

Jesus was a Space Jockey and they had seeded earth like, 10k years ago so when we killed Jesus Space Alien Christ they wanted to wipe us out

This is basically a concussed version of the plot for Larry Cohen's God Told Me To.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Prometheus would've been borderline good (and the theories about hubris and the crew being idiots plausible instead of this rationalizations) if it didn't have a connection to the Alien franchise.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Glenn Quebec posted:

Anyone ever play Aliens: Online? I was a kid when it came out and my parents lol'd right at my face due to the monthly sub.

Yeah, I played it a lot. I wasn't any drat good but I played it a lot. If you used the smart gun you were mocked for being a cheater because it was OP as gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JW4c2BPqP20

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
It was a great 90s multiplayer FPS and it's sad that it's almost forgotten these days. If you got full teams on both sides it came close to capturing the feel of the movie.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Xenomrph posted:

I like when random characters start showing up, like Hill, Clerr, Rocky, and Higgins.

I just picture a bunch of marines just popping into existence onscreen so the squad keeps getting bigger as they get more panicked.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Xenomrph posted:

I’m picturing the Rick & Morty episode with the memory-altering parasites that become “family friends you’ve known for years”.

Yeah, that's exactly what I was picturing too.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Prequels redeemed.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I;m still thinking about thos Aliens.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I unaccountably hadn't listened to Dirk Maggs' Alien III until tonight. It's real good.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mister Speaker posted:

Prometheus and Covenant are not canon.

Someone should hit Ridley Scott over the head and take 'his' franchise away from him.

Ooh, don't say this in Cinema Discusso. It makes 'em real mad.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Xenomrph posted:

The audio drama is a lot better.

I liked it a lot, what did you like about it?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'm of two minds about Alien³. On one hand it does so much unforgivable poo poo like killing everyone but Ripley (even just keeping Bishop alive would've improved things) and being pretty much an inferior retread of the first movie. But on the other hand the film's development and production was so tortured and nightmarish beyond all comprehension that I honestly respect the film for hanging together as well as it does. There's no earthly way it should've been as not-utterly-incoherent and not terrible as it is in either cut.

And it has Pete Postlethwaite in it, which gets it an automatic extra half-star from me.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Dont Touch ME posted:

It's probably been said a billion times in this thread, but aliens is bad. Alien is a great horror thriller about being locked in an isolated environment with a monster with no way to fight it. It really captured the helplessness of being faced with an apex predator (much like how it would feel to come face to face with a tiger), as well as doing an excellent job of portraying the isolation of being on a spaceship. It blended primal feeling with futuristic setting perfectly.

Aliens however threw all of this away for a dull action flick. It's the exact same story with Rambo -> Rambo 2, but at least most people have the common sense to not revere the lovely sequel. Not sorry, Aliens is bad.

0/10 obvious troll

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
That makes me wonder, would Xenomorph meat be edible once the acid blood was drained away?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

I mean, it’s not gonna taste like Alaskan king crab. :shrug:

You don't know that.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Owlbear Camus posted:

I always figured given its tolerances and biology its body must be really exotic in composition, like silicon and mineral based.

So you're saying it's fortified with vitamins and minerals? Interesting.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Xenomrph posted:

For what it’s worth, in the comic “Aliens: Colonial Marines” (no relation to the game, predates it by a couple decades) it’s discovered that using royal jelly can cause crazy, Prometheus-style mutations.

But is there anything about how the Xenos taste?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'm quite fond of "I'm happy to disappoint you."

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Android Apocalypse posted:

Is there a director's cut of Alien: Resurrection?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Android Apocalypse posted:

The fact Veerhoven filmed extra scenes of "Not My Problem" blew my mind. Young me wished that show was real.

I'd buy that for a dollar.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Man, when I posted about eating xenomorphs y'all made fun of me.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Werner Herzog is in it, so it can't be all bad.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I just remembered how in fifth grade my friend Cody brought in the trade paperback edition of the Aliens vs. Predator comic to school with him. Most of the boys in that class ended up reading it over the next month or so whenever we could get our hands on it.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Man, I just thought of the perfect way to write Alien III but I'm thirty-five years too late:

Take the bones of Gibson's script but rework it so the majority of the first half is about Ripley and Hicks on a space station testifying at an emergency inquiry into Weyland-Yutani's actions, meanwhile the Weyland-Yutani reps at the hearing are simultaneously conducting the same sorts of experiments from Gibson's script except its only hinted at on screen, then partway through the inevitable happens and we get more solid mayhem.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Pretty much yeah

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'm still thinkin' about them aliens.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

:hmmyes:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Owlbear Camus posted:

Hold on, hold on just a second. This website has a substantial dollar value attached to it.

Does it, though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I guess posting here is like finding God at the rear end end of space.