Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
I almost never read through entire threads that have run over a hundred pages by the time I start at this point in My Posting Career on SA, so this one is a rare one in more than one respect.

Thanks to this thread my wife and I rewatched Aliens, Predator, and we'll probably rewatch the first Alien this weekend as well. I also reinstalled Alien:Isolation because I don't think I ever got past more than the six or eighth hour of playing it at any point and it really deserves to be finished. Replayed all of AvP 2010 as well (much shorter and easier to take breaks with, especially during work hours).

Anyway, all that said, put me down for the AvP multiplayer squad. I joined that discord posted a while back as well.

Aside from Bill Paxton (naturally), Michael Biehn also owns extremely hard and those little video clips of him in today's times make me think he'd be Really Cool Dad who's also kind of a secret badass under the rapidly aging dadbod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Pennywise - CDT
Splicerb - GMT
Beet Wagon
Xenomrph
Jay_Zombie
HiroProtagonist - EDT
Owlbear Camus

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Liars. This is murica. We're on Daylight Savings time.

Also sorry splicer. I didn't mean to put the b in it. I'm using an actual notepad .txt doc.

So:

Pennywise - CDT
Splicer - GMT
Beet Wagon
Xenomrph
Jay_Zombie
HiroProtagonist - EDT
Owlbear Camus - CDT
mllaneza - PDT

We already have enough for a game. We just need someone to take charge. I'm a broken human being so it's unlikely it'll happen through me. We'll have to see what happens though.

I'll be your huckleberry. Tomorrow (4/11) 8pm GMT? Should be a good time for the spread we have. Hopefully.

Link the discord again please and I'll edit it in. Discord link: https://discord.gg/7ZEE4eW

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Apr 11, 2020

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

HiroProtagonist posted:

I'll be your huckleberry. Tomorrow (4/11) 8pm GMT? Should be a good time for the spread we have. Hopefully.

Link the discord again please and I'll edit it in.

Went back and found Beet Wagon's discord link

https://discord.gg/7ZEE4eW

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
It was good clean fun (except if you are not a predator with a plasmacaster :getin:)

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Saw this this morning and thought of this thread (and also Alien[s]).

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Lil Devil posted:

This thread title would be a lot funnier if it was "Thinkin bout Aliens." Your welcome.

you're* :eng101:

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
I'm down for tonight. Just @ me in the usual place.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
I was still working but I'm free now.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

I should have more time for games since I got laid off on Wednesday.

If nothing else it’ll give me more free time to think about Aliens.

Sorry to hear that, friendo. I was just thinkin about thos aleins again tonight, so hit up that discord.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
It's (what's his face? Drake's?) little charm thingie.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Yeah this thing.

I think its funny enough that I remembered who it was standing over Hudson pinning his hand to the table, lol

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Dr. Sneer Gory posted:

What are the best DLC to get with it? Are they all worth it?

double posting but the Nostromo one is worth it for the nostalgia factor alone, even if its short

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Didn't hold a candle to Event Horizon in that regard, for me.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Thought about Alien(s) again. Watching the director's cut of Alien with the wife tonight and so far it's the best of the director's cuts :hfive:

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
It's good. Better than the others in terms of narrative flow and addition without distraction

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
I recall vaguely something about a fanfic or retcon about Jonesy where someone goes into a bit of detail about what happens to him after Ripley leaves earth again (for the second time)? Maybe I'm making this up

Jesus Christ I missed this but what the gently caress

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 3, 2020

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

I made a parody end-credits video about ‘Aliens several years ago.

https://youtu.be/20wsNqmTPxI

Lmao this owns, thank you

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
This is better as a non sequitur and is definitely thread content

quidditch it and quit it posted:

I remember taking a couple of prescription sleeping pills one night, half an hour before I went to bed.

For some reason I thought I’d have one more beer (I’d had a couple already).

Next thing I know, I’m waking up in bed in the morning. My girlfriend comes into the bedroom, and tells me she’s finally managed to find the torrent of Alien Quadrilogy (the box set) and it’s all downloaded.

Apparently, unbeknownst to me, I’d woken her up, insisted she got out of bed, got her to download a torrent client, then got her to start downloading the box set, specifically the box set, of the Alien films. And bless her, she did it.

No loving clue. Total blank. And that’s terrifying, really, that you can be that specific and appear totally awake and not have a single recollection of a whole period of time. Never touched a sleeping pill since.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

PipHelix posted:

Adjusted from what? Or is that verbatim from the movie dialog?

It's verbatim but also it's referring to the fact that 57 years have passed since the loss of the Nostromo at that point.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

The Friday the 13th game isn't anywhere near as scary as Alien: Isolation but it's easily the ultimate game that franchise will ever get, even if bullshit rights issues forced the devs to stop DLC and the Jason X content. Kane Hodder does the mocap, Tom Savini designed a "Jason from Hell" design. A few of the old actors consented to give their likeness. The maps are varied and filled with fanservice. Even in its neutered state it's worth a bargain buy:

Illfonic, the devs, just released that Predator: Hunting Grounds game which looks... it looks like it has a lot of the same general advantages of their Friday the 13th game but the commando gunplay looks really unexciting. Can anyone confirm?

i picked up F13 recently on a whim cause it was $5. I feel like it has been worth the few hours of play I've put in so far.

The main downside is the people who--I wish I was kidding--still think slurs and verbal abuse are cool in 2020. Got lucky the first few games with some cool players/teammates, then next few matches were just "r***ard" "f*****t" "n*****" everywhere with "you suck" no matter what anyone would be doing. And sadly the muting function doesn't seem to work (:confused:), I had to block them on Steam to stop being subjected to hearing it constantly.

I really did like the "Virtual Cabin" which is like a tour of Friday the 13th movie memorabilia. I'm not super familiar with the movies so I probably missed the bulk of the fanservice but even I still picked up on a bit of it.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Guess she didn't like the cornbread either.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Pennywise the Frown, Splicer, etc. we should do more of that thing that makes one of you take anxiolytics sometime soon

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

This movie is so good. Love that part.

Event Horizon was one of the first movies I ever watched (as a kid) that legitimately scared the gently caress out of me. I don't remember specifically what the aftermath was but I do remember not wanting to watch it ever again for years and years afterwards.

The IT movie gave me nightmares for a week too, and that was the only other horror movie I can recall actually legit being scary as a preteen/teen.

I'd guess I was between 11 and 13 or thereabouts, but shortly after horror movies never had the same effect on me.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

I have a weird thing with horror movies. A friend showed me the beginning of Nightmare on Elm Street (on Betamax) when I was 4 and I freaked the gently caress out. She was like "hey wanna watch Freddy?!" Sure, Freddy sounds harmless. That night was the first nightmare I ever remember having. I've had sleeping issues ever since. I didn't sleep with my light off until I was 13 years old. I still have hosed up dreams/nightmares every night to the point where it screws up my sleep so bad my doctors were going to put me on a med for PTSD (which I have anyway) that prevents you from dreaming. I didn't know that existed which is funny because they have it in the Nightmare movies as Hypnocil.

I'm DEAD sure that your head is not any place I'd like to be. :haw:

Voting Floater posted:

I had basically the same experience. I went through a horror film phase at a similar age, which probably included my first watches of Alien, Predator, Terminator etc. Really, it was actually a friend who was a year older who was keen on them and I kind of got dragged along. Most were fine and it tended to be the more "realistic" ones like Halloween that freaked me out, but Event Horizon is the only one I can remember us not even being able to properly watch because it scared us both so bad. It was a rental so I think we felt obligated to finish it, but we kept having to pause it and literally watch through our fingers.

It's funny to watch clips of it now, because it actually looks pretty corny in very 90s ways. It's amazing how vivid my memories of it are though considering I barely watched it.

Literally same, yeah. And I watched Alien, Aliens, Predator, all that too, but while Alien hit some of the same buttons for me, the difference between Aliens, Predator and the similar vein of this was was basically "scary but in the exciting kind of way" whereas Event Horizon, IT, and to a degree Alien was psychological horror along the lines of "WHAT THE gently caress OH GOD :gonk: " that I definitely remember making me feel like curling into an unresponsive ball IRL--which is what a lot of the characters in them ended up doing in one form or another :v:

edit: goddamn it this just reminded me I STILL haven't finished Alien: Isolation because it's too loving stressful

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
:siren: this may be a terrible idea but who might be up for AVP (2010) tmrw night?

I'd like to get further in survival than I did in LAN parties when I was in my 20s, but this isn't to say we're bad (haha we're bad)

edit: I, personally, am not bad. fyi

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Code Jockey posted:

does it also come with a Costco-sized box of anti-anxiety meds

no, Pennywise the Frown is your go-to guy for that stuff.

If you wanna mainline the anxiety straight into your veins though, go for this, it's a lot more cost effective.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Splicer posted:

I could alien depending on your definition of "night", I'm GMT so your night might be my 6am.

EDT, so GMT -4 :science:

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Splicer posted:

We're looking at ~21:30 UTC (about 1:40 from this post) if that's good with you.

:yeah:

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
https://geekologie.com/2020/07/beautifully-creepy-facehugger-mask.php

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

someone has a really cool dad/mom/parents

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
spotted this today. discuss.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Number 7 is the right way.

i agree personally but my option is on the number 8 fratboy douche visor

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Beet Wagon posted:

guys I'm thinkin 'bout thos Aliens

Search Google for 'sexy xenomorph'

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Images with potentially life threatening auras

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

I, sadly, have googled this many, many times for this thread.

Hell where do you think I got the inspiration for that terrible post :shepface:

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Wish tried to advertise this to me today.

Honestly, tempted.

https://www.wish.com/product/5b5985c140927675ba5d153e

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
I come presenting something that I feel anyone with 80 bucks to burn is obligated to buy. This poo poo looks incredible.

The Sulaco (28in handmade model)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Both. The small one is a higher pitched Cobra Commander.

:stonk: