Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Worcester, MA is next on the gentrification station and it's getting this weird rear end cafe

https://www.masslive.com/worcester/...-magicians.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Greggster posted:

Count me into one of those who ranks AvP2 above AvP1, mostly because both movies are pretty bad. AvP2 has a really nice premise however, and I like that it actually feels like a battle between the three. And yeah, it's really loving dark!

Wait are people saying this because of the pregnant lady scene or because the movie itself is so loving dark because I can't see poo poo in that movie.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Speaking of games, has anyone posted this yet? It's a flash version of the Aliens Board Game

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/408816

It's a fun little diversion and pretty tough too. If you play through from the beginning you can end up with some fun alternate timeline stuff, like Apone being at the battle at Operations :black101:

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Went to see Avatar as like a family movie night and we went to buy tickets and the person was like, theater 8, it just started. So we go to theater 8 and we sit down and I'm like, woah this is... pretty dramatic and there's a lot of action right off the bat, seems very climactic. And we watch a little more and I'm like, uhh I think this is the END of the movie. Sure enough, we go into the other theater where it's playing and it was like, 10 minutes in. Thanks ticket lady.

Gnome de plume posted:

This where I learned there is an alien plant called the Baja Tickler

One other thing I remember of the film is that afterwards lots of people became depressed that they would never get to go to Pandora

Mods please change my username to The Baja Tickler please

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Thought of Aliens when I saw a dumb facebook meme:

Pick a movie
Keep one actor
The rest are muppets

Hudson as a muppet is good but Hudson freaking out at a bunch of muppets is real good too.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Mutant Headcrab posted:

Bishop being the only human actor would be hilarious. Just the irony that the only non-muppet in the movie is an artificial person.

Spunkmeyer: Hello~ Bishop... do you need anything else??

Bishop:

zenguitarman fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jan 6, 2021

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

The green and black computer screens has its charm. The Nostromo wasn't meant to be a top-of-the-line vessel, anyway.

Is this how they explain the crazy tech in prometheus?

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Spaceballs rides again

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

I think I've seen the abyss maybe twice (each version once) and I have vague memories of it being really really good and the water effects still holding up. The endings are pretty different iirc the theatrical release leaves out some pretty vital info.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

On this thread's recommendation I bought The Making Of Aliens book and it's really great and revealed a lot of things I didn't know/realize about the movie, even from watching the DVD extras and the Alien Theory YouTube.

First of all, the book is massive and weighs a ton

I never knew how involved Cameron was with literally everything. His concept art looks really good, and he even worked on miniatures and SFX too! He strikes me as a guy (at the time of shooting Aliens) that's so good at everything that he doesn't understand how everyone else isn't as talented as he is (which almost doomed the whole production when the crew in England basically mutinied). This movie almost never happened multiple times over, especially in its nascent stage of studios passing around scripts and treatments. The one thing I don't think he really understood very well was what James Horner needed. I knew Horner was pressed for time to say the least, but Gale Anne Hurd and Cameron really screwed him over.

Another thing I learned from the book was that Al Matthews was a loving G. This is so good:

WHERE'S APONE posted:

"An actress accused me of taking her light. I told her I could take her light without even leaving my dressing room; I also told her I could make the camera do anything I wanted it to do. She said 'BS.' I said, 'Okay, watch this.' That's when I put the cigar in my mouth. The camera was shooting from the opposite direction, but when James saw me put the cigar in my chops, he made them move the camera for a single on me. I just looked at the actress and winked."

And I think these might have been posted before, but have some rejected taglines

some dumb studio poo poo posted:

TAGLINES
The People Eaters
The People Destroyers
They Want Us
There's Nothing Nice About Them :(
The Rest Of The Story :effort:
The Last One Was Only The First One

SUBTITLES
Back And Out Of Control
The Death Travelers :black101:
The Space Scorpions
The Creature Chamber :confused:

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

ok sorry sir

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Prof. Crocodile posted:

Thinking about changing my Siri settings so she sounds like lance henriksen bill paxton

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

What's the recipe for Corn Cob Up His rear end

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Sentinel Red posted:

Batman Returns: kinda bad

:chloe:

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

This reminds me of my favorite line from Alien 3 when Ripley is trying to convince the guy to cancel the distress signal but he won't let her. She's at her wits end and says that she's going to look for the Alien, "it's in the basement," to which the guy replies "this whole place is a basement?" :dumb:

"It's a metaphor." :geno:

Love that little moment that shows how loving tired she is of this poo poo.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Yeah it's a big moment of gently caress this poo poo catharsis for Ripley. The flamethrower probably would have been enough but then she just sprays her rifle across the egg chamber.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

I think those kind of things work better in a video game, like the A/B scenario in RE2 or something, where the player is the one who gets to explore. That's what comes to mind when I think of The Thing prequel.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Wouldn't that go against his programming? I think Bishop quotes Asimov's first law to Ripley when they first meet.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

The one in the middle looks extra top-heavy.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Danny Glover
Gary Busey
Bill Paxton
Predator 2

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

I always figured the super jacked alien from the nest in Aliens was it, for some reason he looked different from the rest.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

I wonder what kids would think of Jason and the Argonauts, since it was already 30 years old when I saw it for the first time when I was young. I thought it was awesome (and terrifying), but I also liked Greek mythology and swords and stuff, so I might have just been into it more.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

The skeleton fight works for me but the stop motion Terminator doesn't :shrug: I guess I just accept the jank from a movie from 1962, but T2 (which I saw first) came just 6 years after the first one and totally blew everyone's minds.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

How do facehuggers even do dogs/cows, don't they need to create some kind of seal

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

I used to ride a shuttle bus between campuses where I went to college, about a 40 minute ride. One day for whatever reason, instead of the regular shuttle they had a coach bus, the ones with TVs inside. I guess the driver decided to put on a movie and it was Fire In The Sky and the autopsy scene came on when we were driving, lol. A whole bunch of students being like, WTF IS THIS WHAT IS GOING ON. A funny memory.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Aliens are real though? :confused:

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

I’d have to imagine that for scenes where they’re running around and you don’t get much of a close look at the weapon set-up, they had a lighter rig for them to run with; in the same way that any shots of Ripley carrying Newt where you can’t see Newt’s face they gave Sigourney Weaver a plastercast doll of Carrie Henn so she wasn’t running around carrying a child the whole time.

You can notice it when Hicks is running from the crashing dropship too. I can't unsee it, it looks like a piece of plastic.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

I honestly prefer the theatrical cut as well, although the scene where Ripley laments the death of her daughter is pretty important. One thing that bothers me is that they reuse shots of Aliens getting gibbed in the sentry gun scene. Bill Paxton is amazing, but I can get by without the extra Hudson stuff too.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Yeah, reading the big Making of Aliens book I was amazed at how much he actually had a hand in making himself, from miniatures to the pulse rifle sounds.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Titanic but the predator shows up.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

Do not talk to me or my son again!

lmao

It's like an optical illusion

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

At first I thought it was super cool and then the more I thought about it, it became real dumb real fast

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

I haven't even watched any spooky movies yet this month, but it's the weekend and I think I'm just gonna watch Aliens.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

The concept sounds super rad and at first glance the main character they cast is native American, so they got that going for them. Really expected them to cock that part up, honestly.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

numberoneposter posted:

The Rock > Con-Air > Face/Off

The Cage Holy Trinity.

Ok but John Woo > Michael Bay

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Just finished listening to the WTF interview with Ridley Scott. Just seems like a cool loving dude.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

I like the premise, but the movie doesn't really do a good job walking the line between hubris and heroism with her as the protagonist, so she's kind of lumped in with the other dumb scientists. Theron's character is more like the Ripley stand-in, really, except Ripley probably would have been smart enough to run right or left and not get crushed by the goddamn spaceship

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Do a Kubrick Night next

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

How do you lose/what happens when you run out of morale?