Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Mister Speaker posted:

The one that I really love is the sort of nod to this scene in Aliens. The xeno hiding motionless in the wall that comes out and grabs one of the Marines.

And then it just grapple hooks up to the ceiling. What's up with that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

My friend and I went to see Rambo in theaters (not the most recent one, the where they go to Burma) and there was a mom and a dad there with their three kids all probably under 10 and the youngest was in a stroller. I watched a lot of violent movies when I was little, but that movie is kind of next level.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Was that the one where he rips someone's throat out?

Yes it's extremely, literally visceral (as in Rambo stabs someone in half and his viscera spill out everywhere)

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

I thought Alien 5 was already happening with sigourney weaver test firing flamethrowers and poo poo

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Splicer posted:

And the dormant reproductive system

:thurman:

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

I'm actually really fascinated by fiction and non-fiction set in North America in this era and it was my favorite thing about The Revenant. I wish more big budget movies used this setting.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Trying to remember an episode of Outer Limits that was kind of an Aliens rip off? Outer Limits ran before or after X Files I think and had like a Twilight Zone vibe to it, but it's been ages since I've seen it. I remember being super psyched though when the aliens-like episode came on but I can't for the life of me remember what it was.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Movie real good. Not sure if it's better than 2, haven't seen it in a long time but that cast is hard to beat.

Some parts were kind of corny like when we see the predator for the first time, when the ship leaves. I thought that was unnecessary. Also, when the predator is taking out the trappers, that part didn't really impress me. But I did like the new weaponry. The shield was dope and I got a laugh when the three trappers were furiously trying to reload their lovely muskets.

I actually could have used more world-building, that way when the members of her tribe started getting taken out, I would have felt a little more tension.

I was really glad that there weren't any callbacks to the original, other than the gun and that one line. Hearing the same music cues over and over again just becomes lazy to me, imo.

One thing I also appreciated was that they didnt bother explaining why the predator looked different and used bolts and not future weapons. I liked the design. Predator jumping around the trees was ok, but when he was running through the field super fast was the first time I was like "oh poo poo."

zenguitarman fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Aug 6, 2022

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Sigourney Weaver is so loving cool.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Why does Hudson say "Fire in the hole!" In the APC? Does he actually say "Fire in the hull?" Both are weird things to say!

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

The alien slithering out of the pipes when Ripley goes looking for it is the best looking alien in the franchise, it's super unsettling.

Too bad everything else looks like rear end.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Earl Boen (Dr. Silberman) died. I haven't seen T3 since it came out but I forgot he was in that one too.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Where does Sarah Connor Chronicles sit on the tier list of Terminator movies? I thought I heard it was OK.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Not aliens but a horror movie with a similar thing I've been trying to remember forever. The scene is a woman getting an ultrasound and the regular sperm finds it's way into the egg but then an alien sperm comes swimming in after. Anyone know wtf I'm talking about? That scene always gave me the heebie-jeebies.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Not animated like Look Who's Talking, more like real-life, microscope like. They're either watching a play back of a recording or something, could be.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Whenever I brush my daughters teeth I always say Check dem corners - CHECK DEM CORNERS.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Callbacks, references, and wink wink nudge nudge bullshit is the loving death of cinema.

See: the terminator slowly turning its head back after getting punched in Salvation. The Kyle Reese line was OK, I guess. Same with Prey. It wasn't super hamfisted, but still takes you out of the action for a second.

Same with the Predators score which felt like it was lifted cue for cue from the first movie. Be original!

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

It's called a Shake'n Bake Colony

the company made up some poo poo and sent them there on purpose

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

It was a BAD CALL, Ripley :rolleyes:

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Mister Speaker posted:

I'm just gonna say this:

Neurodivergent Xenomorphs

Isn't this the plot of The Predators, I've never seen it.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Ammo and the pulse rifles operate on the same logic as marines and the APC where you're ducking your head to climb inside and all of a sudden it's the size of my living room.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Yeah only nerds like us pick up on that stuff. But one thing I always did wonder just because the sound design in this movie is incredible (and in the first movie too) is why the pulse rifle fires at different pitches, like at the end with Ripley in the Queen's lair. Just a Doppler effect? Sounds like it corresponds with ammo count.

I can't think of another blockbuster that has such iconic sound design, except for Star wars, which has probably the most recognizable sounds in cinema. I use the motion tracker scenes in my music appreciation classes to show how rising pitch increases tension and stress. Even when it's just online and not picking up any movement it still sounds like a heart beat.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

I'd have to go back and check again but I think the Making Of Aliens book James Cameron created the smart gun SFX on synthesizer, spending days making the perfect sound while James Horner was having a nervous breakdown.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

I could have sworn, and maybe this is a bit of mandela effect, that at the Game Over screen there's a clip of Hudson saying "Game Over, Man!" Dunno if it was a PAL/NTSC discrepancy, or a different game entirely. Great game though with fantastic music. I also had Alien 3 on Game Gear which was just OK and a totally different game from the SNES Alien 3. My fondest memories were playing Alien Trilogy with my buddy into the late, late night. Super atmospheric and genuinely creepy.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Cessna posted:

Oh, great. Wonderful. poo poo.

Some people have a great F bomb, but I love William Hope's delivery of shhitttttt

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Vampire Panties posted:

Has anyone used a katana against a Predator before? because thats 10000000% happening :getin:

Probably an epic cameo from Hiroyuki Sanada

Actually the best scene in the Adrien Brody flick.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

SilvergunSuperman posted:

H is for Hey Hicks, man you look just like I feel.

D is for Drake, we are LEAVING

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

redshirt posted:

HE'S DEAD. OK? CAN I GO NOW? :(

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Haven't seen Alien in a minute but I remember it being a good rear end movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

I kinda like the horde of facehuggers. That's a kind of terror I never really considered. the AvP bullet time scene doesn't count, that was dumb as hell