Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Like Alien is to Aliens, The Terminator is a horror film while T2 is science fiction.

The Terminator has more tension & fear of Arnold coming after Sarah & Kyle. T2 has you wowed by the T-1000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for Robocop 2 because it was the 1st R rated movie I saw in the theater. I begged my dad to see it & he finally relented. He dutifully watched it along with me & enjoyed it too. :kimchi:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
"Now listen here, Pvt. Reese. Mom's kind of a freak in the sheets. She'll want to take it in the rear end, maybe have you finish in her mouth. DO NOT LISTEN TO HER. You give her a good old-fashioned creampie. DO I MAKE MYSELF CLEAR?"

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
That is great! I also love the disdain Biehn has on his face doing this.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I always assumed "Arcturian poontang" was just human women living on Arcturus/Arcturia. Kind of like if you said "I'm getting me some Albertan poontang" it means you're gonna hook up with some chick from Canada.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
So does this mean alien life was discovered before Alien? If that's the case the overall sensation of seeing the xenomorph by the Nostromo seems dulled a little bit.

"Oh an alien? Kinda weird & nothing like we saw before, like those gloopy tar things on Vagra II."

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Aliens is on Viceland right now.

It's still good.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
That SWAT guy would eventually work in the Albuquerque DEA branch chasing a meth kingpin that would eventually be revealed to be his brother-in-law.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Looks like love at first sight to me.

Edit: DAMMIT!

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
After the events of The Terminator Sarah Connor bumped around Central & South America learning how to fight & do poo poo. Does that mean she was running with rebels during the Central American Crisis? FARC in Colombia?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I forgot Goldstein was in Near Dark. That movie also had Bill Paxton, Lance Hendrikson, and was directed by Katheryn Bigelow.

I want to watch that movie again. Vagrant vampires need to make a comeback.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Fister Roboto posted:

From the meme thread:

:boom:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
It's weird that these Alien prequels have David as the Ripley stand-in.

Maybe David is the protagonist in these films all along?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Hah I just saw that at the local movie theater.

Do you live in Portland, Oregon, Pennywise?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Probably helps they got Phil Tippett for visual effects. You know, the guy that helped with Star Wars, Robocop, Jurassic Park, and countless other films.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I'm having a spirited discussion about Starship Troopers on Facebook (:lol:) with people that didn't like the movie because beers wildly off from the book. I dunno, I think both can be good for different reasons.

The joke is that the movie will be rebooted with a more diverse cast (Johnny Rico would actually be Filipino) but in return Zach Snyder directs it.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Very true. It's one of the reasons I enjoy the TV versions of Preacher and American Gods. They're deviating from the source material but in a way I like.

The Ghost in the Shell movie was ok IMO but I think it missed an opportunity at the end by having the Major be in the same ScarJo body instead of a different one like in the manga.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Oooh that is pretty.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
If you are a real Xenomorph you know your dental bill is easily double that of the regular guy.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Ghostnuke posted:

Maybe I missed it somewhere, but why don't WY just go back to the crashed ship on LV-426 and grab as many eggs as they want?

They tried. They sent some colonists from Hadley's Hope to investigate Ripley'a claims after her deposition (in the director's cut it's Newt's family). Remember: while the company knew that there was something on LV-426, they couldn't confirm until Ripley was recovered & she told her story.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I took it that in Alien the Nostromo gets diverted due to the distress call on LV-426. They investigate, Ash tells the company of the alien, but the crew gets killed & the ship destroyed. I guess Ash didn't disclose the specific location of the derelict ship, so WY just puts colonists to terraform the planet & hope they find it. Ripley's deposition gives them a more solid location of the ship & the events of Aliens unfold.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Yeah, but secreted from what?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The cocoon'ed Burke scene is nice & all but I get why they got rid of it. Same with not having his death be too gory: we get it, he got deservedly whacked, but we have Ripley & the others we need to get back to.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Jay_Zombie posted:

All this talking about a Xeno pigging out on Ramen and Twinkies led me to GIS "Xenomorph Snacks" and holy poo poo. Some of the stuff that comes up is kinda awesome.

Those are neat.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Deep Rising loving slaps. IMO a great blend of horror & action, with enough humor to keep things fun.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
My favorite Aliens quote comes from Frost when they're told to not use their guns in fear of loving up the reactor:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i33DX9Wjd7E
Hicks has a good one in there too.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Weird Science is on & seeing Bill Paxton as Chet is still gold.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Some things in the DC are cool (sentry guns, seeing Ripley's daughter), some not so much (seeing Newt's parents). I get why the cut it but it's still fun to see the extended version every now & then.

Is there a director's cut of Alien: Resurrection?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Looks interesting, I'll check it out.

While we're side noting I watched Commando for the first time since I was a kid and holy shiiiiit, it rules so goddamn hard.

:blastu:
That movie rules. My college writing teacher boiled it down to "Guy wants to live out in the mountains, raising a daughter & choppin' wood. Then Some dudes come by and STOP THAT FROM HAPPENING. He gets angry, goes on a killing spree, gets his daughter back, and returns to the mountains to chop wood."

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
MST3K used to do these short summer movie previews & the one where they covered Batman & Robin had Pearl laughing nonstop through the entire segment.

In short, Batman & Robin rules in its ridiculousness.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I don't mind the idea of xenomorphs being a result of bioengineering.

I do mind the way this theory is meted out in Prometheus and Alien: Covenant.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Somehow I'm mildly surprised horneyposting hasn't occured earlier.

Mainly by posting original Giger work.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The fact Veerhoven filmed extra scenes of "Not My Problem" blew my mind. Young me wished that show was real.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Must've been wild to for Allen to see Veerhoven gleefully directing some weird-looking perv smashing cakes onto the boobs of blonde actresses & thinking this was what the movie was about.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Maybe, but I'm guessing the chances are low now what Disney has it.

My guess is a Predator movie comes out before another Alien one.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The one thing I'll give Alien 3 credit is introducing me to David Fincher.

I was already aware of Jean-Pierre Jeunet so Alien Resurrection was the real disappointment. This movie also introduced me to Joss Whedon, which correctly formed my opinion of him.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
One of my artist friends posted this:

quote:

Now that the holidays are over I’m finally able to post this piece I made for a certain someone.

It’s plating from an airplane fuselage (also insane how hard these are to buy) that I repainted and created stencils for. Measures around 8x14” and started off a matte safety yellow color. Whole thing is shadowboxed now but I love how it turned out and highkey wanted to keep it for my own place tbh

Check out his Instagram for cool poo poo. He often attends Weekend Wasteland & does bitchin' costumes for it.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Xenomrph posted:

You can spin any Predator trait/behavior/belief you don’t like as “only some tribes do/believe [x]” and you’re still being lore-accurate.

Now I'm picturing a group of Orthodox Predators fighting against a smaller group of Reform Predators.

Everything started after one Predator nailed a skull & spine to the door of the main Predator church.

Android Apocalypse fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jan 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Pennywise the Frown posted:

That's actually true.

hmm...

I want more Aliens and I'm not happy with the 2 new movies. I don't like the direction they took, the acting wasn't great, and I just flat up didn't like the stories. Disney makes solid movies for the masses and will probably dumb it down for the average movie goer. And yeah, a PG-13 Aliens is just.... heresy. Does Disney even make R movies?

I was wondering that. Off the top of my head Disney had MGM & Miramax (for a while) was their studios for their R-rated stuff.

Looking at ithe film studios Disney owns now, I guess they can use Touchstone Pictures for Aliens.