Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Owlbear Camus posted:

:siren: my girlfriend :siren: got me this rad tshirt for our one year dating anniversary

Wow one year and she's already hinting that she wants to lay eggs in your stomach and have kids.

Sever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

purple death ray posted:

The whole thing is bad and changing the alien from a dog to an ox is not going to fix everything wrong with that movie.

You just solved a life-long mystery for me. As a kid I had an Alien3 toy that had bull horns on it. I rewatched the movies a few years ago and was wondering why they had added horns to the figure when the movie alien was more dog-like.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Xenomrph posted:

You’re thinking of the Bull Alien toy; while that toyline came out around the time of Alien3 and leaned heavily on Alien3’s “animal-spawned Aliens” idea, it was meant to be more of an Aliens tie-in. There were a bunch of other Alien hybrids in the toyline, like a Snake Alien, Gorilla Alien, Rhino Alien, etc.

Looking them up now, I definitely had the Gorilla Alien also. I always figured it was just a bad model of the original xenomorph. I think it squirted water (ACID!)

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Xenomrph posted:

The closest that line got to the “original” Alien was the Warrior Alien from the AvP two-pack. The Scorpion Alien was as close as we got to the ones from ‘Aliens’ (and the toy loving exploded, which was :krad: ).

Oh my God this thread is a crazy flood of nostalgia because I think I had the exploding one too! I needed my parents to help put it back together each time until it lost an arm or something.

One of my earliest memories was watching Alien 3 with my dad at a way too young age. The scene where you see the alien's point of view as it chases that guy (and the camera goes upside down to be the alien climbing on the ceiling) stuck with me for years and creeped me out.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Android Apocalypse posted:

Yeah, but secreted from what?

Resin is stored in the balls.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010
Went to an antique/second hand store this weekend and someone had donated the comics of the unproduced Alien 3 scripts. I grabbed the 5 issues there- is that all of them? I haven't started reading yet, but hoping that I don't get some story that just ends in a cliffhanger.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

BrigadierSensible posted:

This is from a while back, so sorry.

But I am fine with how Burke dies in the film. His final act is one of cowardice and putting others in danger, as he runs away and locks the door behind him. (It has been a while since I saw the films, but this is what I remember). And then he encounters an Alien, and whimpers before either being cocooned/killed off screen. Alone and unlamented.

Sure, the scene where he is cocooned, and forced to blow himself up would have been nice, whilst also giving Ripley a chance to prove herself the better person. It's fine the way it is.

Whilst I agree that he deserves to die, some people are saying we deserve to see him die, wheras I think he deserves to die a whimpering coward alone and off screen whilst the movie moves on with the more important people. But I understand where they are coming from.
He essentially died the same as Nedry in Jurassic Park. You don't see exactly what's happening in the Jeep but you're imagination is probably way more gruesome than what social effects could show.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

purple death ray posted:

Nah I mean specifically the line about how she hides in places the other kids can't get to. Foreshadowing how she manages to survive when the xenos start hatching. The world building with the colonists is fine imo.

Yeah I watched the first half of the Director's Cut on Halloween and I think it kind of seems unnecessary. The part where Newt's dad has the facehugger on is very, "Here we go again!" Kind of like off-camera deaths, I think it's kind of cooler to leave how it happened up to your imagination.

However, the DC has the turret scene and the backstory on Ripley's daughter, so I would take that version anyday.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I liked that they showed the colony. In the regular cut they just say that there's a colony and they lost contact. Kinda didn't have much of an impact on me since I didn't know what it was or who was there. I think showing the workers and kids and families there made it feel more real. You get to see the people who are about to get royally hosed.

I don't understand the pacing argument. It's like <5 minutes.

Yeah, I actually watched it for the first time in a while and totally forgot that they showed other families, rich I thought was neat. My memory of it was that it just showed Newt and her parents driving to the alien ship.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

happyhippy posted:

But what else could it be.
Watch the intro to Prometheus, its the black goo breaking apart the Engineer at the DNA level, then rebuilding in the water.
It's a bioweapon, raised to religious worship levels by the Engineers.

Is there anything in the first few movies to suggest that the aliens are bioengineered bioweapons? I remember in my head just thinking that they were hosed up aliens that invade planets.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

SilvergunSuperman posted:

It's a great example of how to do a sequel right, much like ALIENS!

GREMLIN$

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Xenomrph posted:

That said, the scene’s placement in the director’s cut is questionable; aside from loving with the pacing, it’s set after a Ripley arms the self destruct. So we’re meant to believe that Ripley, currently on the clock before the ship explodes, detours down into the landing gear for some reason and fucks around for several minutes? Ehhhhhh.

"Save the cat" is easier to say than "gently caress around in the landing gear."

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Jay_Zombie posted:

Did you know they made a "The Thing" game?
Because they made a "The Thing" game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrmHncD-z-Q

I played a bit of it- it had some really cool ideas. You'd recruit NPCs who could randomly be a monster and suddenly try to kill you.

The other characters also all had different trust/sanity levels, so you would sometimes have to do the blood test to prove to them that they YOU aren't the Thing.

Honestly I think the shooting and camera was a bit janky, but I loved the stuff they took from the movie.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I had this one and loved spraying water with it, once that got old I gnawed off the soft rubber parts on its head that held the water so it just had this empty skull in my toy rack

I loved that toy

I played with this thing so much as a kid (before I had really even seen any of the Alien movies) that it's actually the first thing i think of when picturing a xenomorph.

Make a new Aliens movie where the Alien skips leg day, please.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010
Rewatching Aliens now with my wife who's never seen it before.

Think she's going to leave me for Vasquez. Can't say I disagree with her judgement :shrug:

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

MrMojok posted:

You aren't the only one. It is the least-remembered most-successful picture of all time.

I thought it was wildly entertaining in its intended 3D format. Saw it twice in the theater, haven't spent a second thinking about it in the years since.

People don't even remember the proud warrior, Jake Sully. smdh

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

happyhippy posted:

There is an even shorter version where Ripley stops them opening the airlock door and only the three outside die.

I still want to see the version where they ignore the distress beacon and make it home to get their bonuses.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Splicer posted:

At first he starts getting better results through trial and error and rote memorisation. Then his existing speedrun tactics stop working because one of the aliens is also groundhog dayed and is adapting, so he has to learn to be good for real.

Great, now I'm thinking about Edge of Tomorrow (the movie).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Owlbear Camus posted:

CARRION absolutely loving rules. I'm only like 10 minutes in but it just nails the feeling of being a weird monster menacing lab nerds and security guys, creeping around in vents and ambushing hapless people to add them to your cronenberg-esque BIOMASS.

I just saw that that's on Xbox Gamepass, so really hoping I have some free time to try it out soon!