Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Millions of Crows
Mar 31, 2010

take a look overhead
Alien and Aliens are required viewing for understanding sci fi/action/film in general from from the late 70s onwards.
Aliens is the best film from 1986, easily. What else is remembered so well from that year? What else established the space-marine aesthetic everyone is still copying? For Doom to exist you need Aliens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Millions of Crows
Mar 31, 2010

take a look overhead
Annihilation as liberation is pretty good Vietnam war metaphor.

Millions of Crows
Mar 31, 2010

take a look overhead
Alien 3 is such a piece of poo poo i totally discount it and regard the dark horse comics as official continuity. Well the good ones.

20th Century Fox execs are too massively stupid to just adapt Aliens: Labyrinth. That's the best Aliens story. The one that follows Aliens visual style, plenty of space marine stuff, and builds on it. The xenos are tools of a mad scientist, the plot is totally different than previous works. It's not that stupid WY must have Aliens to profit somehow bullshit. I guess Ressurection did a similar thing but it also sucked rear end. Dr. Church would be a super memorable cool villain if played by the right actor. I'd want to to be Udo Kier or Christopher Walken. Somebody that can do charismatic and evil as the same time. But instead drunk old Ridley Scott shits up the franchise with Lindeloff's basic bitch christian mythology refs and boring old cliche poo poo, plots moved forward by idiocy, etc.

Millions of Crows
Mar 31, 2010

take a look overhead

marijuanamancer posted:

i think i read that. is that the same one where they had like a cyborg mech thing that interfaced with a person inside by like burrowing into their skull or body somehow? that might have been another aliens book. i do remember that scientist character and a pretty intense moment where he traps the protagonists in with aliens

That was Aliens Berserker. A mech piloted by the unluckiest member of kind of penal battalion formed to clear out xenos.

Millions of Crows
Mar 31, 2010

take a look overhead
Since we're on Aliens comics now I have endorse Aliens: Havoc
A salvage crew has to survive a luxury liner full of xenos, kind of standard story, but every page is drawn by a different artist. We get to see how Duncan Fegredo, Arthur Adams, Peter Bagge, Sergio Aragones, Moebius, Mike Allred and Tony Millionaire draw xenos and that industrial spacecraft style, amoung others.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Millions of Crows
Mar 31, 2010

take a look overhead

Owlbear Camus posted:

Since it was brought up one of my "favorite" parts of Aliens: CM is how they bring back Hicks from cryosleep and go on to set up that the guy who was impaled crash landing on Fiorina "Fury" 161 was actually some other dude who fell into his cryopod on accident like Phillip J. Fry. lol

Randy Pitchford quality writing, slightly worse than Alien Ressurection. Fits the Poochie trope: writers thought they could come up with something better later.

Millions of Crows
Mar 31, 2010

take a look overhead

ChickenHeart posted:

Oh yeah I guess this thing came out now, on IGN of all places: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu_4PgSXbDY
This is a boring collection of painfully familiar tropes. Now I'm worried all the shorts will be like that, since apparently corporate film makers are incapable of original ideas. I wonder if everyone at 20th century fox is either too prideful or stupid to just adapt one of the better Dark Horse Comics Aliens stories.

Millions of Crows
Mar 31, 2010

take a look overhead
There is a deep mine of Aliens content, because the early 90s was a magical time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpYMfflioJE

Millions of Crows
Mar 31, 2010

take a look overhead
Don't get harsh because furries are horny for phallus-head monsters.That isn't Pennywise's fault.

Millions of Crows
Mar 31, 2010

take a look overhead

Xenomrph posted:

The other explanation is Ridley Scott doesn’t give a gently caress about strict continuity and just wanted to tell his story, even if it contradicted his own earlier story.

As with recent Star Wars films, this is a loving stupid attitude to have. The original incarnation of Alien and Aliens, or the original star wars trilogy are what people actually like, what the film series real core is, what audiences want to see, so when film makers dismiss decades of continuity they make bad films. I wish Ridley Scott left Alien alone because all he could add to it are the lame tropes and trends polluting cinema. When hacks like Damon Lindeloff of Rian Johnson splatter their pretentious, ham fisted, spoiled and sheltered hollywood bitch boy ideas on a film series like so much diarrhea it never fully washes off.

Millions of Crows
Mar 31, 2010

take a look overhead

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

I had some poo poo Aliens-related dream.

Recruited (more like conscripted) into some rag-tag platoon stitched together at the last moment to go and "fight the aliens". We were equipped with the absolute worst sort of jank-rear end gear, including (but not limited to) toy plastic helmets, weapons with broken/missing parts, tactical vests that were actually black-painted inflatable lifejackets (mine had the name "Bill Till" scribbled on the tag for whatever reason) and no loving trousers at all, so I had to march around the hangar wearing a long towel over some swimshorts.

The platoon leader was wearing a cheap plastic Spider-Man mask on the back of his head so the aliens wouldn't sneak up behind him (similar to the short-lived practice of doing the same thing to fool tigers into not attacking in India back in the 1980's).

Just as I started to complain about the quality of the poo poo we'd been handed out, the operation was cancelled and we were told to go home. I started ranting about "who the gently caress is microwaving boiled eggs" or something and woke up to the sound of traffic outside.
Vastly better story than Alien 3 or 4. Or Prometheus, Covenant, the AvP films, and several of those 40th anniversary short films.
gently caress Hollywood I want Goon written Alien sequels.

Millions of Crows
Mar 31, 2010

take a look overhead
Anyone else pick up the William Gibson Alien 3 comic adaptation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Millions of Crows
Mar 31, 2010

take a look overhead

Android Apocalypse posted:

Considering the total shitshow that's going on at Dark Horse Comics right now regarding prominent editors & the brother of the owner being sex pests, it's best that the Aliens/Predator franchise are now being run by competent people.

Marvel churns out PG 13 dreck. They managed to make Star Wars comics boring and piss all over the continuity of the films. They write stories to placate internet scolds and chase trends, they have no creative vision. Originality dies under Disney. Everything that makes an intellectual property fun or disturbing or unique or anything meaningful is erased under that megacorp of assholes.

You're excited that the people that made the Last Jedi have creative control over Aliens. Ridley Scott already killed the IP but why would you want to see it's corpse further defiled?