Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I played the ps3 version, flinching at movement and spamming a m41a pulse rifle like at a madman with accurate sound was a lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Vasquez is one of the baddest bitches around and an excellent role model for young women.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I'd 100% be the dad in this article,

https://www.rogerebert.com/mzs/watching-aliens-for-the-first-time-again-with-a-bunch-of-kids

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Julius CSAR posted:

She's also in "Near Dark" which is a movie about a family vampires in Oklahoma that also stars Bill Paxton and Lance Henriksen.

Welp, I'm in.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

That's cool as gently caress.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Lol Jesus loving christ.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

drat I forgot about those guys, thanks for reminding me.

One of my favourite things from the frontpage was when he described a cave slime or something as a loyal friend and a good listener.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

The Aliens tabletop game is infamous for having a ridiculous amount of calculations for a simple rifle shot. Zack Parsons wrote up an enjoyable adventure where Hudson and crew battle a wizard: http://www.thebadguyswin.com/2017/03/aliens-adventure-game-1991-the-hunt-for-elminster/

When I first watched I had no idea Paul Reiser was going to be evil. When he turns off the camera feed, so great

Steve: “Any questions?” Gorman asks.

Zack: “Yeah, how do I teleport out of this chickenshit adventuring party?”

Steve: Apone is not happy. He has you run laps around the hangar while the dropship is loaded up.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I do like it better, I appreciate the argument for theatrical I just happen to disagree.

It does probably makes sense to see that one for the first time though.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I guess part of it is the original is so perfectly paced sacrificing that down to very good/excellent is worth the tradeoff for more scenes, for me.

As far as structure, I guess that just doesn't matter much to me beyond the first viewing.

SilvergunSuperman fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 4, 2019

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Eh it's not up to snuff to the rest of the movie but I don't think it's that bad, I get a kick out of the general sense of tiredness and tedium dealing with all this bullshit is.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Lmao, that gag video with a dog wearing a spider costume is about a thousand times better.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Is there a comic book adaptation of the movie Aliens?

I read a Punisher comic book a couple months back and got sucked into the world a bit after I couldn't stop laughing at how hilarious the ultraviolence was compared with how lovely the art is in some of the older ones.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Mutant Headcrab posted:

Aliens: Newt's Tale is the closest I can think of. It's a two-part comic entirely from Newt's perspective. Part 1 is all prequel events depicting the colony's downfall. Part 2 is the events of the movie.

Huh interesting, thanks for the lead.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Donovan Trip posted:

Similarly, T2 played off audience expectations about which Terminator is the good one in the first act. If you saw T1 the scene in the mall is a big twist.

Man it's been so long and I saw those movies so young I didn't even consider this, must have been a great flick to see in the theatre!

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

There's scary badguy music whenever the Robert Patrick Terminator is onscreen and Arnie gets rock n roll, it's a bullshit idea nerds made up

Really though it wouldn't change much if they'd filmed and marketed it that way, woulda been a star wars level wtf moment, what a waste.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

It's a neat little gun alright.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Shut up Meg posted:

I thought that was deliberate: at the beginning, they are utterly confident in their skills and badassery and pretty much as soon as they hit the planet's surface, they are shown to be utterly incompetent soliders and get their poo poo completely pushed in.

I'm not sure that's fair, they were handicapped with no live ammo at first, had a tactical doofus calling the shots, combined with poor intel.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

One of my favourite scenes is when they first start treating her with respect,

https://youtu.be/kXs1lB0y6bM

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Alien was a bitch of an act to follow, the fact Aliens managed it set up 3 for failure, and even if you don't hate it most of those people wouldn't say it's even good.

I remember how disgusted my dad was at the drive in, haha, he loving loved the first 2.

SilvergunSuperman fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 6, 2019

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I admit to not remembering her name, but
the character was definitely not forgotten.

Corporal Ferro was one of my first crushes, what a badass bitch.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I love that too. Apone's realization and him cracking up is sort of endearing.

His laugh is so perfect and the delivery of "where do you want it" loving slays me too.

Goddamn guess it's an Aliens night.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I still haven't seen that cut of Alien 3, so I'm quite unqualified to speak on the film, really.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I mean I guess getting shot in the dick is better than the head, but eesh.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

also the full alien 3 newt autopsy scene was so gross and over the top that it made people sick during test screenings and wasn't restored as part of the assembly cut.

Lmao holy poo poo, this sounds like a post someone would make on SA for shock value but welp!

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

^^I was Reiser posting independent of this heh

Man Paul Reiser plays his part so well, it was cool seeing him return in Stranger Things (I fully expected him to betray everyone at all times)

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Owns

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

But seriously is there a worse name than Spunkmeyer?

Goddamn.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Donovan Trip posted:

Settle down Paul Reiser

HahahHah

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I mean, I'm more disturbed.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I always forget the "I like griping" line in Alien and it makes me laugh every goddamn time.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Pennywise the Frown posted:

This might have been due to budget/technology issues. In the vent when Dallas gets caught you can see an old fashioned "Vampire/mummy/bad guy reaches out arms and cut to next scene."

That's loving hilarious you mentioned this, I came here to post just that.

It's maybe the worst looking scene in the movie, all that's missing is a dracula "BLEUH!!"

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Here's a dumb opinion, I like the first AvP way more than requiem.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

i thought AvP: requiem was bad because the characters were killed off too quickly. what makes aliens good is you get invested into the dynamics of the marines and then they get killed, not just randomly introducing them and killing them off within minutes. also none of the characters in requiem react appropriately to literally hundreds of people being ripped apart around them.

Beet Wagon posted:

I mean, the first AvP was way closer to what the AvP comics were like than Requiem. It’s not exactly a bad take, considering both movies were pretty bad.

I only like Requiem cause it has that dope scene where the dad gets loving wrecked as he’s peering through the sliding glass door.

skasion posted:

This isn’t a dumb opinion at all. AVP is clumsy in execution (PG13 Alien movie? PG13 Predator movie? Lmao) on top of the whole idea being dumb, but it’s a fun dumb. It’s essentially one big crackpot pastiche of “At the Mountains of Madness” and it’s hard to go all the way wrong with that premise. Requiem is a terrible movie with no redeeming qualities whatsoever, there’s really nothing worse to say about it than that it looks like complete poo poo despite being conceived and directed by two special effects guys.

You guys get it, I've only ever heard people say the opposite.

AvP isn't good, but it's at least fun.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I respect your right to an opinion even if I want to punch those lying teeth out of your dumb punk mug.

(except about the pacing, I agree but argue its worth the tradeoff.)

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Talking about Kurt Russell, it's time for a Soldier rewatch!

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

drat I hadn't considered that, I like it!

The ship from Alien is so loving awesome, I love the weirdo grimy vibe.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Dang, I lost, 19 kills and only Apone made it close to escape.

Vasquez and he tied for the lead with 5 each.

That's pretty fun and well done.

e: Man that's tough, managed to get 2 out with MVP Apone racking up 13 kills!

SilvergunSuperman fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Mar 10, 2019

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Mister Speaker posted:

Oh gently caress yeah I remember this one too. Definitely had a hard copy... As a huge fan of MAD magazine this was a delight.

Lmao holy poo poo, I was a huge fan of Mad and Aragones was always one of my favourite artists.

I might have to get this made into a poster haha.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Riatsala posted:

Just played a round of SS13 Colonial Marines that felt like the authentic Aliens experience. For the uninitiated (and note that this game is strictly for broke-brains like me), CM on a good day is a 150 marines and support staff answering a terrestrial distress call from a colony that has been, unbeknownst to them, overrun by about 40 xenomorphs with strong respawn potential (via abducting and facehugging marines, colonists, and lab monkeys). All marines and xenos are played by actual humans in low level roleplay.

Anyway. I got picked as a squad smartgunner for the squad assigned to scout the creepy caves covered in gross biomaterial. We get in, find a weird egg, squad leader pokes it and gets facehugged. Then xenos start pouring out of every direction, pouncing, grabbing, and dragging away helpless victims to an overwhelming din of gunfire that slowly fades as more and more guys get picked off. I'm one of the last to get grabbed, and chose to go out by priming a grenade and dropping it at my feet.

If that all sounds cool to you, remember this is all in 90s flash game level graphics. But still. Was cooler than any other Aliens video game experience I've had outside of Isolation and AVP 2.

Another round I joined late and got assigned to sit at a barricade in the forward operating base with another hapless marine and a squad engineer. We're shooting the poo poo for nearly an hour at our posts inside a barricaded research lab, no xenos to be seen while the other squads are locked in a very exciting guerrilla war all the way across the map.

The whole time there's this cigarette machine just outside of the barricade that's chirping obnoxious sales slogans every 10 seconds. I mention that I'm about ready to shoot it to shut it up when the engineer offers to go out and clip the power. He trundles out and almost immediately gets grabbed by a xeno that must have been waiting there for ages. Nothing we could do but I laughed so hard I nearly cried.

Oh c'mon man, you can't just open rabbit holes in front of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Did anyone play the Aliens vs Predator game for Atari Jaguar?

I remember I was at a friend of a friend's house who had it way back when and it looked so loving awesome.