Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Glenn Quebec posted:

It really might be the best chad.jpeg. especially the face blindness bit

Jonas gets some of the credit; I made this after we riffed on it a bit.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

gey muckle mowser posted:

I'm gonna watch Aliens tonight

You're gonna have a good time.

If I could make my own cut a la carte I'd take the director's cut minus two things:
The Hadley's Hope pre bad stuff scenes (kills the pacing and tips the hand too bad).
The queen conversation would cut off at the line "So what's laying all the eggs?" like the theatrical cut instead of the scene being extended.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

i was so bummed when bomkamp getting to take a mulligan on a sequel to aliens didn't pan out.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/30/16832874/neill-blomkamp-canceled-alien-sequel-movie

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 8, 2019

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

skasion posted:

That kids accent is whack

She was an army brat who picked up a mutant accent from living all over the world 6-12 months at a time from what I heard.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I remembered this scene but had forgotten that they literally got John Hurt to do the cameo.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Any of y'all ever play the konami arcade game?

I was glad of emulation, when I finally got to credit feed it to the end.

also this was a fun tie in, children's toys fora violent r-rated body horror movie
"HICKS IN THE HEAVILY ARMED EEE-VAC FIGHTER!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p81-9MQR6lg

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Remember how mad you got when I told you I was getting you a Hick's figure and you thought I meant the super expensive, movie accurate doll and not the toy that comes with a robot dog?

You sucked balls and taint for that elaborate white elephant prank binch.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

LCDs would require constant climate control not to break in space.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Just looking at the covers I picture Herk Mondo as a character who exists as fiction in the Aliens universe. Like Hudson has a few issues in his foot locker and likes to read about Herk's wild adventures bedding aucturians and fighting UPP SPETZNAZ.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Young Freud posted:

That's UPP Kosmospetsnaz.

Honestly, I love that the Gibson Alien 3 script is getting the love it's getting because I love me the concept of the Space Warsaw Pact as a counter to Weyland-Yutani exocapitalism.

Out of curiosity, I scrubbed through a longplay of that DS game with the incredible soundtrack from a couple pages back and the UPP gets namechecked during the obligatory building tension initial phase (like "Hey this must be the space commies who done this") while they're investigating the derelict Sulaco. There's also a cat scare. :3:

I'm fixing to run an Aliens/Predator universe tabletop RPG using the Mothership rules soon and I plan to salvage that bit of world-building to flesh things out.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Mar 11, 2019

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I'm going to amend Rick Gubble's backstory then. He saw a predator once.

Well whoopdie-fuckin'-doo. Hey I'm impressed.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

i like hudson's arc from braggart to humbled coward to redemption in battle

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

it was cute stunt casting to make him the sgt apone expy in edge of tomorrow

rip twister guy, dude from the framing device story in titanic, sidekick cop in predator 2, punk #2 in the terminator, and most of all the private hudson of our hearts

e: lol i just looked at everyone's expression in that screen grab. this is clearly like the 50th time they've heard hudsons "knives and sharp sticks" material.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

speaking of tiny beats that happen right on the edge of the frame and give the movie so much life, i love how in the meeting with the wy execs and galactic transportation safety board suits when she grabs someone's report from the desk to illustrate how "if just one of those things gets down here, all this bullshit you think is so important you can kiss it goodbye"-- there's a hand reaching into frame desperately trying to grab it back in that shot.

i love that the background actor made that choice and they kept that take. it's so great. like "please ma'am that is an important document i am using in a presentation i booked after this with the senior vp of space tug boat concepts"

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Any tabletop game goons tried this?
https://www.miniaturemarket.com/pic...OxoCHZQQAvD_BwE

For under a Grant, I'm considering getting it just to paint up the little alien and marine dollies.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Splicer posted:

Also when did the IDF become a fetish.

boycott divest sanction, man

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Fury Road is a goddamn treasure and it's a miracle it got made in this era of "do a soft reboot directed in a computer by a studio controlled android."

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

The Owlbear Camus cut would ditch the early Hadleys hope scenes and the extended scene where they hypothesize about the queen and keep the sentry guns and Amanda Ripley scenes. Bless.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Hrm I don't know if I've ever watched the Assembly Cut, and I own the Quadrillogy boxed set. I shall have to remedy this.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

One of the most low-key sinister early Burke lines is when he immediately and nonchalantly drops that he reads Ripley's psych evals. No HIPAA in space I guess.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Hmm... the one thing I can think of without using audience omnescience, and assuming "we can'tuse pulseguns" and "we must fully investigate the fate of the colonists" are both true: the moment they belatedly realized 90% of their weapons were unusable, fall back to the dropship and reequip the squad so everyone has whatever low-velocity slugthrowers and flame units they can muster, then go back in.

The colonists waited days or weeks for the marines, another hour or two to help ensure the rescue team wasn't completely helpless in the atmosphere processor wouldn't be make or break.

Also posting a sentry or two at the dropship seems prudent even if the threat is unkown.

And at a more strategic/logistical level sending a quarter of a platoon to the moon in the first place seems like a really parsimonious allocation of forces. But that and Gorman's inexperience I think are explained in supplemental material as WY pulling strings to get their bioweapon.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Mar 19, 2019

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I think in evaluating the tactical choices of the Colonial Marines we must first start with staffing:

Not deploying HERK MONDO with those fireteams was just foolish. Absolute buffoonery.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

LOL that we have surpassed the over-the-top social commentary of 80's sci fi.

Detroit would be better off if there were an incredibly powerful multinational headquartered there with at least a modicum of interest in civic infrastructure.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Since it was brought up one of my "favorite" parts of Aliens: CM is how they bring back Hicks from cryosleep and go on to set up that the guy who was impaled crash landing on Fiorina "Fury" 161 was actually some other dude who fell into his cryopod on accident like Phillip J. Fry. lol

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

In the directors commentary Cameron literally apologizes to the USMC and said if he had it to do over again he would have made the characters regular army and potentially conscripts, not Marines and he regretted the slight against the noble Marine Corps.

(lol)

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Lil Peeler posted:

Was he term xenomorph ever formally adopted in canon? I always figured it was technical government speak for "alien lifeform". Alien just sounds more menacing

Never in the films.

I think the only time it's name-checked is when Gorman drops it as a two-bit college word in a misguided attempt to impress the troops. But he's using it as a synonym for "alien," not a specific descriptor for a specific category of creature.

It's all the comics and video games and other sundry tie-in material that have run with that one offhanded utterance like scissors.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

purple death ray posted:

It's handy for the fans to be able to have a name for "the alien from Alien" because you sound like a dipshit saying "the alien from Alien"

Actually I find it a bomb-rear end excuse to rack the word "titular" into the chamber and send it downrange.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Bobcats posted:

Also sold my Colonial Marines Technical Manual for nearly $200. :hellyeah:

Yeah that thing was a collector's item for a bit in the early-mid aughties. I had one for doing tabletop RPG crap as a sourcebook and flipped a few that I found in used bookstores.

Now you can order it next day off amazon for sixteen bucks lol.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Julius CSAR posted:

Here's an effort post on how the Marines should have handled the Hadley's Hope thing:

Motherfucking air power.

How though? They had to investigate to potentially rescue noncombatants in a cramped indoor complex that was sensitive even to small arms fire.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

That fukkin shreds. My hs did little shop.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Jesus loving christ when we did Camelot we got gray cable knit sweaters for "chainmail."

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

In-game they're explained as being designed that way because Weyland-Yutani robots are too easily seen as real humans. It's brilliant.

The best thing is this is a two-layered in-universe explanation. That's Steegson's marketing explanation. "Of COURSE everyone is more comfortable around obvious robots rather than those trying to blend in, and that's why we offer very obvious robot-men. They built a tagline around it: You Always Know a Working Joe.

But in actuality they'd love to be able to offer WY-like synths, they just aren't anywhere close to the proprietary technology to do so. There's some e-mails you can find between a junior exec on the station and a corporate espionage-doer trying to root out said trade secrets.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I drove thru Little Chute on my way to Door County for a weekend away tonight and thought of Amanda Ripley-McClaren. (RIP)

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

hey let's go back and fix jason and the argonauts while we're at it.

maybe we can add a walk-and-talk scene where jason talks to the hydra and at one point steps on its tail

Basically this is what I was sarcasming around:

Iron Crowned posted:

I really don't understand the whole "must update the special effects" mantra. I'm cool with the Terminator looking like it was from a Harryhausen film, it was a 1984 science fiction film, that sequence really should look like that.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 18, 2019

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

also it's not like new effects hold up forever, you going to keep updating the movies with patches every 10-20 years? lucas did his jabba scene once the "technology was finally there", and then the cg dated so badly he had to re-do it a few years down the line. (and it screws up the pacing of the first act and neuters Jabba as a villain but that's neither here nor there to the argument)

and it's not like the tool itself is always used right. look at some of the CG in the later terminators like when he's bouncing around on the freeway like a boneless rubber ball.

it is okay to suspend disbelief and enjoy it for the story and as a cultural artifact of its time. i bet you could re-do the push in through the window in citizen kane better now at home with a copy of adobe after effects, but come on. just watch the dang movie, that's ~cinema~ baby. namaste

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Apr 18, 2019

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I hope they give us enough setting material to have some sessions entirely unrelated to the space monsters. Colony labor insurrections, corporate intrigue, whatever.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

I don't know what to ask in that case! That being said, open question; other than Newt's family finding the derelict and Ripley learning of Amanda's life & death in the last 57 years, what extra scenes does the extended version have over the theatrical? It's been such a long time now since I've watched that version that I'd probably (incorrectly) scream blue murder about missing scenes if Aliens was showing the theatrical cut on TV without me knowing.

Sentry guns. Extended exchange hypothesizing the queen.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Oh, not as much as I thought there'd be. I still like those scenes enough to want them included every time I watch the movie though.

I probably already mentioned my Bespoke Cut would keep the sentry guns and Ripley Kid Pathos and lose the Hadley's Hope scenes (messes up the pacing and tension IMO, and the sole survivor also being the one who rode out to check the derelict feels a little on-the-nose) and the extended discussion about how there must be a queen (feels a bit too much like they are pre-expositing for the audience members too stupid to understand why the huge alien is laying all the eggs.)

quote:

I love how he's repeatedly saying "I'll go" as if the proposed task is a walk to the shop all while Hicks and Hudson are barking at each other with neither of them even noticing. The way he quizzically looks at the handgun Vasquez gives him before he passes it over to Ripley two seconds later is a subtle touch too.

He may be synthetic but he's not stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Xenomrph posted:

There’s also Hudson’s “ultimate badass” speech, the stuff at the colony before we see the Jordens find the Derelict, Hicks and Ripley exchanging first names before Ripley gets off the dropship to go rescue Newt, the hamsters setting off the motion trackers when the Marines do their first sweep of the colony, and probably some others I’m forgetting.

Whoah the ultimate badass speech isn't in the theatrical cut?

Man, I considered that instrumental to setting up Hudon's arc from braggadocio to coward to firey combat redemption.

Here's what appears to be an exhaustive source:
https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=2558663