Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Sometimes an ovipositor is just an ovipositor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

I still insist that the best Aliens game ever made is Space Station 13 Colonial Marines, but you have to be kind of broke-brain to like SS13 in the first place so I guess that's a niche opinion

Alien Isolation is the best Alien game, no contest.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Elderbean posted:

One thing I like about Alien, The Shining, and The Thing is that all of the actors can pass as regular schmucks, everyone's kinda grimy or plain looking. I feel like modern flicks have to milk the big name stars as hard as possible to sell tickets so everyone looks like a model pretending to be a scientist.

Like compare Linda Hamilton as Sarah Connor to Khaleesi. You need people who are believably normal.

Hell, Bruce Willis in Die Hard in an age when Auh-nold was the default look for an action hero.

I'm looking forward to the day when we have good Alien movies again. Even with only bad ones since the 90s I don't think people are truly tired of the Xenomorph as a movie monster. Just have to stop doing these high concept origin stories and disposable cross overs and get back to what really matters: Alien(s) murdering people in cramped, industrial settings.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Just played a round of SS13 Colonial Marines that felt like the authentic Aliens experience. For the uninitiated (and note that this game is strictly for broke-brains like me), CM on a good day is a 150 marines and support staff answering a terrestrial distress call from a colony that has been, unbeknownst to them, overrun by about 40 xenomorphs with strong respawn potential (via abducting and facehugging marines, colonists, and lab monkeys). All marines and xenos are played by actual humans in low level roleplay.

Anyway. I got picked as a squad smartgunner for the squad assigned to scout the creepy caves covered in gross biomaterial. We get in, find a weird egg, squad leader pokes it and gets facehugged. Then xenos start pouring out of every direction, pouncing, grabbing, and dragging away helpless victims to an overwhelming din of gunfire that slowly fades as more and more guys get picked off. I'm one of the last to get grabbed, and chose to go out by priming a grenade and dropping it at my feet.

If that all sounds cool to you, remember this is all in 90s flash game level graphics. But still. Was cooler than any other Aliens video game experience I've had outside of Isolation and AVP 2.

Another round I joined late and got assigned to sit at a barricade in the forward operating base with another hapless marine and a squad engineer. We're shooting the poo poo for nearly an hour at our posts inside a barricaded research lab, no xenos to be seen while the other squads are locked in a very exciting guerrilla war all the way across the map.

The whole time there's this cigarette machine just outside of the barricade that's chirping obnoxious sales slogans every 10 seconds. I mention that I'm about ready to shoot it to shut it up when the engineer offers to go out and clip the power. He trundles out and almost immediately gets grabbed by a xeno that must have been waiting there for ages. Nothing we could do but I laughed so hard I nearly cried.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Vargs posted:

I can't speak for the Aliens version, but SS13 is super unique and cool if you can stomach the awful visuals, lag, and controls not fit for human use. There's nothing else like it.

On Goonstation sometimes you get someone playing the role of the alien from The Thing and it owns. 8/10 would get devoured by a horrible space monster inside of a vent again.

Well, if you can imagine all this but everyone is issued extremely deadly weaponry at round start, you can extrapolate how CM typically goes.

SS13 is an anomaly on all counts. I'm the most impatient gamer in the world yet I'll gladly tool around in SS13 for hours as a botanist, doing little more than growing space weed or starting a cult of pumpkin -headed assistants who pry up floor tiles and lay down a slow, creeping wave of sod across the station.

It's the sheer unpredictability of the human element, I guess.

Which leads me right back to CM. I love it because even when you can call it for the aliens 5 minutes in, you never quite know where and how you're going to die and what you're going to accomplish along the way. It's a story generator of the highest quality.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Splicer posted:

I'd kill a man for an SS13 engine remake with Rimworld graphics and decent controls,

If I had a dollar for every failed SS13 remake I'd have enough to fund a professional SS13 remake.

That's 15 years of collaborative spaghetti code made by developers who who coded without communicating with one another then hosed off to a remote mountain monastery to never be seen again.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

TheMostFrench posted:

Hopefully people who like Aliens know about Natural Selection, a Half Life mod which had a commercial sequel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g91EqzvEItM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hp-4iaKXP68

I used to play the heck out of NS1 when I was a teenager. I apparently own NS2, is it still an active game?

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

I read somewhere that action sequences that don't advance the plot or contribute to character development are fundamentally useless. These sorts of action sequences are all over the place in modern movies. That combined with bad shaky cam and terrible conveyance of scene geography make for some truly boring action flicks nowadays.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

I read Cold Forge on the recommendation of this thread.

As far as established universe fiction goes it's absolutely outstanding, and I recommend it to anyone who needs an Alien fix and enjoys the medium of the written word.

Also Space Station 13 just got a huge influx of new players because a popular Youtuber (and goon) made a video about it, so if you wanted to jump in when the bar for competency is especially low and everyone's feeling helpful, now's the time to be a colonial marine.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Xenomrph posted:

What is Space Station 13?

Also I’m glad you liked Cold Forge! :)

It was great, Dorian was one of the better literary villains I've seen in a long time. I might have liked him more because he spoke to the angry anti-capitalist within me that thinks all executives are psychopaths, but yeah, great stuff.

I'm trying to describe Space Station 13, but words are failing me, so I'm going to steal the description from the SA topic (very appropriately named "There's a fire and a flood and I'm covered in blood'")

Space Station 13 is a top down 2D multiplayer spaceman game, running on BYOND. It features an overwhelming amount of depth and complexity beneath simplistic cartoon graphics. It is a melting pot of ideas and genres, has tons of replayability, and generates fantastic and often hilarious stories.

The game centres around a research station, owned by a giant corporation known as NanoTrasen somewhere off in deep space. The game functions in rounds, and at the beginning of each round every player picks a job as a crew member on the station. These vary from anything to an Engineer, Scientist or Medical Doctor, down to the lower responsibility roles such as Janitor and Assistant. The gist is to perform your role and help keep the station running in a tidy and ordered fashion, which you'll quickly find to be impossible.

When the crew aren't turning on each other through sheer paranoia, they will also face various kinds of danger depending on the round: Sleeper Agents hell bent on sabotage, Soul-Sucking Aliens, RPG toting Syndicate Operatives and more. Not to mention the occupational hazards of working in space: Meteor showers, Radiation storms, Airlock mishaps and Catastrophic engine failure. These dangers have their toll, and can usually result in the death of everyone on board; or for those that survive long enough, a death defying run for the escape shuttle.

So it's a chaos simulator and video game story generator of the highest order. It's a relatively straight forward space station role playing game that inevitably devolves into hilariously creative shenanigans, often with deadly results.

Take the kingdom of Cargotopia, a former cargo bay that declared independence from the station and subdued the station security that attempted to intervene by creating a heavily lubricated slip and slide trap that lead right into an endless circular conveyor belt surrounded by hacked vending machines that repeatedly pelted and concussed the endlessly prat-falling officers with cans of soda.

Or the Engineers who modified an air cannon to launch hallucinogenic drug-laced donuts directly into the mouths of unsuspecting station employees under the guise of "free donut day"

Or the crazed roboticist who kidnapped naive assistants, surgically removed their butts, and created rolling butt robots that screamed and farted ceaselessly as they chased staff around with their tazer batons.

The list goes on and on.

To bring it all back around, Space Station 13 Colonial Marines is a modified SS13 server where all (200+) players are either Xenomorphs that have infested a human colony or the hapless Marines and support staff that arrive to investigate it. As you can imagine it's a bit more combat heavy than most servers, but also happens to be a great Colonial Marines simulator as you get dragged off, impregnated, and chest burst by hungry aliens that lurk in the shadows of a doomed planet or space station. Comes complete with all the Aliens trappings, including pulse rifles, smart guns, drop ships, incompetent lieutenants and all the dripping, resinous caves you could ever want.

And right now there's a huge influx of new players, so you won't stand out at all for not knowing the controls or killing 5 of your squadmates with a mis-handled grenade.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

happyhippy posted:

What was the queen/exosuit fight like I wonder.

It's a stage production of "Alien" not "Aliens", you moron, you absolute buffoon

Hoping they post a recording and do a sequel, though

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Xenomrph posted:

Just a reminder on this so I can do a final head count and know if I need to buy both bulk lots or not. If you’re interested and haven’t spoken up yet, please do so now. :)

I just caught up with the topic, am I tok late or can I still snag one?

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Just read that in the original ending of Alien the Xenomorph kills Ripley and makes the final log entry in her voice which is a terrifying way to end things but I'm kinda glad they didn't go with that (not the least of which is because Aliens without Weaver would have been :()

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Welp, I had a heart attack

There's no way I could play this game

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Labyrinth just arrived in the mail, and it's in great shape!

Thanks Xenomrph for putting that together, that was super cool of you :3:

It didn't have very far to go to get to me in Golden, CO, so I'm guessing people further from the Southwest will get their's in a few days.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

I just finished Labyrinth, that has to be a high point in terms of Alien body horror :stare:

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

mind the walrus posted:

Do you think Ridley Scott knows how bad the scripts are to his prequel movies, or do you think he's all "gently caress it this how I keep an unlimited budget to try out any filmmaking technique I want."

I dunno but the trend of old filmmakers not knowing or not caring what made their original films good and fumbling the reboots is highly disappointing; George Miller notwithstanding.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Djeser posted:

I've been meaning to give some of the others a shot, but sadly I haven't had anything that really scratched my itch for something that captures the mood of Alien in book form.

COLD FORGE COLD FORGE COLD FORGE

...actually, that one doesn't capture the mood of Alien imo, but it is really good

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Still thinking 'bout Aliens

which is a *good* movie

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Alien is coming up soon on the Windows Movie House stream, come watch it and chat with goons!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3920085

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

:siren: Come watch ALIENS with Goons!! Or alone!! Starting in about 30 minutes after Miami Connection!!! :siren:

https://windowsmoviehouse.com/

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3920085&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Splicer posted:

Anyone else completely forget that Sigourney Weaver was in Avatar?

All the time, but more in the sense that I forgot basically everything about Avatar, despite seeing it three times. That movie is teflon coated as far as my brain is concerned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

I remember thoroughly enjoying the times I did watch it, but it doesn't do anything new outside of very pretty effects and a couple of semi creative science fantasy ideas. It's outstandingly solid. Helps if you're stoned and watching on IMAX, but failing in that it's still worth watching imo.

But yeah, zero cultural impact.