Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I watched the Aliens director cut and it was good

Except it kept making me think of Covenant and Prometheus and making me angry

gently caress you ridley scott

If David invented the Aliens then how were they on the ancient ship on 426? If David invented the Alien on that colony ship then how did an "engineer" spaceship get to LV-426 with them?

Even Aliens had me thinking: how do you start with one or a handful of xenomorphs and end up with a colony? A queen? Why do they look different?

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Sep 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Android Apocalypse posted:

I'm having a spirited discussion about Starship Troopers on Facebook (:lol:) with people that didn't like the movie because beers wildly off from the book. I dunno, I think both can be good for different reasons.

The joke is that the movie will be rebooted with a more diverse cast (Johnny Rico would actually be Filipino) but in return Zach Snyder directs it.

A zack snyder remake of the starship troopers movie would be a shot for shot remake but somehow be pro-fascism (i know the book is pro-fascism)

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Only one thing bugs me about Aliens: why does an entire military spaceship only have a crew of one squad of marines? How are ~20 people supposed to do the job of essentially an entire navy ship? It doesn't seem smart to leave the ship empty in orbit while the crew is out on a mission

also they expect a squad of marines to be responsible for arming and fueling the dropship as well as doing cargo/logistics? That's like 4 jobs!

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

happyhippy posted:

That's what they were doing when Ripley was in the loader.

Yeah but its ridiculous!

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Pennywise the Frown posted:

:hmmyes:

It does seem to make sense that they're a typical corporation that's just trying to cut costs in any way possible.

I don't know but I'm thinking the USCM doesn't work for the company but is sort of being given orders by them. Almost like they hired them. Well they probably did. When Ripley and Burke were going at it about taking off and nuking the site from orbit she says that this op is under military jurisdiction. So therefor they are in charge and not the company.

edit: But they're the United States Colonial Marines. So who else does colony building? Is it just the corporations or are governments doing it too? If it's just the companies then they could have their own private military force.

I'm just rambling now.

you don't need a private military if the government will do your dirty work for you, apparently at a moment's notice

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
What if we made a movie where the Mormons DID convert the bugs

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Somehow the bugs were able to use faster than light travel to propel a rock, something we have never again seen the bugs as capable of doing

"hurl their spore into space" does not mean they have FTL travel lol

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Would anyone like to get a group going for the alien RPGs when it comes out?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

mllaneza posted:

I'm testing it out in a one-on-one using a Traveller starship, the Kinunir, as a stand-in for a Conestoga-Class marine transport pending. I've got to review the stress rules and get another session scheduled, but so far the system looks like to should do the job.

The transition from narrative mode to "stealth" mode can be a bit jarring I hope they explain how to make that smoother in the full rules

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
There's rules for predators??

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Owlbear Camus posted:

Is there a canonical/semi-canonical source for how much a synthetic costs in the Aliens universe?

One of my players wants to play one, and I'm fine with that. But they are a rough and tumble just-barely-keeping-her-fueled freighter crew and I remember reading that a synthetic like Bishop is prohibitively expensive, so I'd want to help her come up with a background that makes sense (right now thinking she was "salvage," as well as play up all the things that would come up with grubby truckers with minimal security having what some scoundrels would consider a king's ransom in easily stolen and re purposed hardware, that kind o thing.

Make them a Working Joe from Seegson

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Watching Aliens and reading Alien 3

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Hillary 2020 posted:

The pre-infestation scenes should be a separate featurette on the DVD. But the scene of Ripley breaking down after finding out her daughter was dead need to be in the regular version of the movie because it's the whole driver for Ripley's actions after Newt gets captured

I also think the little scene before they drop onto 426 where Hudson is talking about how they're ultimate badasses should be in the the normal cut

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I finally got around to finishing William Gibson's Alien 3

I liked the UPP B plot.

I felt like the pacing was off and the story was rushed.

I don't like that Newt and Ripley are just removed from the story.

The idea of people exploding into Xenomorphs was cool but ultimately didn't work for me in the context of the story and universe. Bio-weapon gone wrong is one thing but making people explode into xenomorphs? The whole "xenomorph taking over human DNA" thing is another massive rule change with regard to the xeno's and its one I don't personally like.

They didn't make clear why the "natural" xenomorph attacked the red-eyed xenomorph. I interpret the red-eyed xeno as some kind of man-made variation that the natural ones don't like but its still super vague and unexplored.

I think its a good foundation for a good director. I would've loved to see James Cameron working on this screenplay rather than the Alien 3 we got.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Jay_Zombie posted:

Is.... is that Xenomorph.... flexing?

The story is that a facehugger got to one of Baraka's people and this xeno is the result. Which is why it has armblades too

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Owlbear Camus posted:

I enjoyed Alien: Isolation but I'm gonna be real with you, thread.

I wish it had been about anyone other than Amanda Ripley. Leave the fated bloodlines and dynastic heroism to Star Wars.

I think it gets a pass because the premise is that Ripley goes missing so her daughter goes looking. Perfectly reasonable premise to me.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Sunswipe posted:

Also, could we have the setup be something other than "someone wants to use the xenos as a bioweapon"?

Rival hives use humans as bio weapin

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Still boggles my mind that a Colonial Navy vessel would only have a squad's worth of people aboard, and also the fact they decided to only send a squad.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Was thinking about adding Replicants as a good plot hook to an Alien Colonial Marines game.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Xenomrph posted:

It has the added side effect of helping the Aliens blend into the walls of the hive via natural camouflage, for obvious reasons.

Fun fact: in the original script for Alien, the characters who explore the surface of the planet (ending in Kane getting facehugged) were supposed to visit two locations - the Derelict with its dead pilot, and an extraterrestrial pyramid or “egg silo” that contained the eggs. These got condensed into one location for budget and time purposes, but HR Giger still did concept art for the egg silo before the idea was scrapped.

Later comic books repurposed his concept art and used it to depict what a free-standing Alien hive looks like, as opposed to a hive built into an existing structure like we see in ‘Aliens’.

Its the Harkonnen fortress from Dune

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I wish I could get my friends to play the Alien rpg. Nobody is interested because they assume it's just a gimmick

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm really jealous of your campaign, dude. I've been trying to get my friends to do Alien but we settled on CoC again

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Critical support for the Xenomorph Librration Front in their struggle against USCMC imperialism

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Xenomrph posted:

Just copy the plot of Blade Runner. Don’t even bother disguising it, but vehemently deny it if your players call you out.

BR is also in the Alien universe so not a stretch.

I had the idea of a bait-and-switch scenario where the player group responds to a colony that has gone dark. They arrive to find the colony falling apart, practically under siege from unseen forces.

The players encounter these insurgents that are extremely capable and also look extremely similar, like twins.

Turns out the planet houses an old military-grade replicant production facility owned by a company called Wallace Corporation, long defunct, that the replicants took over a long time ago, and keep operating, trying to live in peace but these pesky colonists keep bothering them

You could get Weyland Yutani involved too, maybe with Wallace Corp having been acquired by WY decades/a century ago and they try to assert ownership of the facility.

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Apr 29, 2020

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I grew up watching lovely horror movies on sci fi channel

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm watching the making of alien again and I realized that the deleted scene of Dallas being turned into an egg pretty much the most important thing in the alien franchise

Had they included that scene the entire franchise wouldn't be recognizable. Aliens wouldn't be the same. Nothing would be the same

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Thinkin bout Aliens since my group wants me to do an ALIEN RPG game this weekend

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
How do yall handle the stealth mode mechanic in ALIEN RPG, do you just have the players take turns like a board game or what

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The only good part of Prometheus was the scene where David activates the navigation computer and holds the earth in his hand. That was the only good scene.

The engineers as an idea were cool but like they hosed it up really bad. Its not even particularly original, its your standard precursor alien sci fi trope.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Retconning the xenomorphs not as some ancient haunting entity but rather a recent creation was its greatest crime.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I liked his Data/Lore performance

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Ridley Scott is an amazing artist, story board artist, set and costume designer, and cinematographer but not great at writing, story, or character

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Nuke it from offsite, just to be sure

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
So does that make the Alien Queen a disney princess?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Wonder how avatar 2 is gonna go

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Lol that dress Newt is wearing looks like what the twins wore in the shining

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Owlbear Camus posted: