Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Blazing Ownager posted:

DC is in the gutter for making poo poo movies
Aliens is in the gutter after like six poo poo movies

It is time to go full retard

There is nothing left to lose

Eh, the first one is ok. Let's go for the second one, where a secret organisation has been using genetic samples from Arkham inmates to create hybrids between the xenomorphs and Batman's rogue's gallery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Agrikk posted:

Similarly we had a Drake and a Vasquez appear in our Twilight:2000 campaign.
I've just had a great idea for rebooting the Twilight movies...

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dynastocles posted:

My headcanon for the xenomorphs is the AvP comics explanation: the xenomorphs just existed, the Predators discovered them and went on to seed countless worlds with their eggs so they could hunt them. Simple, explains everything, contradicts nothing.

But Ridley of course has never been told his ideas are bad so here we are with dumb convoluted prequel poo poo.

It's a better idea because then we could see the hell world that would cause the xenomorphs to evolve. What sort of predators did they face that required they evolve loving acid blood?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

dev286 posted:

Thanks for sharing that abomination. Jesus Christ who thought that was a good idea?

According to Wikipedia, Pepsi was "created and developed in 1893 by Caleb Bradham and introduced as Brad's Drink, it was renamed as Pepsi-Cola on August 28, 1898,[1] and then as Pepsi in 1961." So if you've got a time machine handy, feel free to go back and kill him before he invents the undrinkable crap.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
If someone ever makes a sequel to The Thing, a submarine would be a great setting for it.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Splicer posted:

I just saw predators.

It's bad guys.

Worse than predator 2.
Well duh. Most things are worse than Predator 2.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Different kind of fear. The first film is essentially a slasher movie, with an unstoppable killer ready to strike from the shadows at any time. The second is more like a zombie film, where the threat from an individual creature is manageable, the problem is there's no way to kill them all. Personally, I like films like Aliens and Predator 2 that do something a bit different rather than just do the first film again.

e: Also, I think it's pretty terrifying to realise that the individuals will just essentially throw themselves into a meat grinder until they foul the mechanism with their own bodyparts. In a sense, you're not fighting a group of aliens, you're fighting one giant creature that doesn't mind getting a few minor injuries to achieve its goal.

Sunswipe fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 17, 2019

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Alien is a suspense horror movie. Aliens is an action movie

I'd say Aliens is an action horror movie, but that's about right.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Owlbear Camus posted:

In the directors commentary Cameron literally apologizes to the USMC and said if he had it to do over again he would have made the characters regular army and potentially conscripts, not Marines and he regretted the slight against the noble Marine Corps.

(lol)

Wasn't it marines who bitched so much about being lumped in with mere soldiers that the term "warfighter" was coined?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

etalian posted:

They did the same trick in Saving Private Ryan, all the main cast had to go through a grueling boot camp experience except for Matt Damon character.

This was to make the cast have resentment towards similar to how their characters were upset on being sent on suicide/needle in a haystack mission.

This kind of thing always reminds me of Laurence Olivier's response to Dustin Hoffman staying awake for 72 hours prior to filming a scene in Marathon Man: "My dear boy, why don't you just try acting?"

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Young Freud posted:

T-600s. Disappointed that we never see one in Salvation that hasn't been shot a few dozen times.

But yeah, he looks like a younger Mr. X...

Anyone else think Mr X looks like Dolph Lundgren?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Some of the problem might be the relative cheapness of CGI special effects. The 80s seems to be a sort of perfect point at which really good special effects are possible, but have to be used with care, so the story has to reflect that. Modern films can have the monster leaping about in full view far more easily and cheaply, so why bother with relatable characters and tight storytelling? Just have the Predator/xenomorph/Thing rampage around for ninety minutes and you've got a movie.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'd go with my standard response to intruders in FTL: seal everyone in the med bay, open all the other doors and cut the oxygen until intruders are all dead.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Was flipping through channels and saw Bill Paxton in a movie called Mean Things.

Being dead honest here. I think Bill Paxton was the celebrity death that I felt the worst about. Yeah, Stephen Hawking was bad but it was his time. Not Bill. Not Bill man.

Weird how some hit you much harder than others. Probably a lot to do with how much it seems like they could have still done much more. I still get sad when I remember Rik Mayall is dead.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Great, now I want a Predator/Hard Target crossover that's never going to happen.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

That's the fella. The film would play out basically the same as the original until they get to the bayou, where it's very hot for the time of year. Now Fouchon's group aren't the only hunters looking for trophies...

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

I had some poo poo Aliens-related dream.

Recruited (more like conscripted) into some rag-tag platoon stitched together at the last moment to go and "fight the aliens". We were equipped with the absolute worst sort of jank-rear end gear, including (but not limited to) toy plastic helmets, weapons with broken/missing parts, tactical vests that were actually black-painted inflatable lifejackets (mine had the name "Bill Till" scribbled on the tag for whatever reason) and no loving trousers at all, so I had to march around the hangar wearing a long towel over some swimshorts.

The platoon leader was wearing a cheap plastic Spider-Man mask on the back of his head so the aliens wouldn't sneak up behind him (similar to the short-lived practice of doing the same thing to fool tigers into not attacking in India back in the 1980's).

Just as I started to complain about the quality of the poo poo we'd been handed out, the operation was cancelled and we were told to go home. I started ranting about "who the gently caress is microwaving boiled eggs" or something and woke up to the sound of traffic outside.

This sounds like the best thing in the franchise since Aliens.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Robocop, but Murphy doesn't get killed and the rest of the movie is the scene with prototype Robocops killing themselves from Robocop 2 stretched out to an hour and a half, each prototype killing itself and the people around it in increasingly outlandish ways.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Speaker posted:

wait where's a bootlicker?

Guys it's Judgment Day tomorrow. A friend is coming over at midnight to watch T2. She's never seen it before. :3

Does she know that Arnie's the good guy in this one?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Android Apocalypse posted:

It's weird that these Alien prequels have David as the Ripley stand-in.

Maybe David is the protagonist in these films all along?

Maybe the real Ripley is the friends we made along the way.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
thatsbait.gif

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone got strong feelings about Deep Rising?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVFEVXIyu00
'Cos I freaking love this film, and it feels like it would fit in this thread.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The problem with Predator 2's satire is it only works in the States. The rest of the world watches it and goes "Yup, that's what American cities are like."

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It was also a nice way to say "They've been coming here for a long time." They should really make a Predator film set in the Wild West or something.

e: Maybe the Tunguska event could have been a Predator's self destruct bomb going off.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Two thumbs up!
\

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
There's mystery about what happened to the colony?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Looks interesting, I'll check it out.

While we're side noting I watched Commando for the first time since I was a kid and holy shiiiiit, it rules so goddamn hard.

Commando is one the few films that, if it's on TV, I'm loving watching it. Doesn't matter that I've got it on DVD. It's always Commando o'clock.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Aliens is on Sundance at 11:00am CST.

Holy poo poo have you guys seen this movie? I heard it's really good.

It's no Commando.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
You should watch it again, it's brilliant. Would definitely be one of my desert island movies.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Iron Crowned posted:

When do we get a Commando Vs. Alien movie?

Y'know, Predator presumably exists in the same universe as Alien, so we could have Dutch Schaefer vs Alien. Or even use CGI so we can have John Matrix and Dutch Schaefer vs Aliens.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
You'd really need to stay away from her at that time of the month. "AITA reddit? My girlfriend keeps throwing her used tampons in the regular trash can and dissolving it instead of using the acid-proof one I bought for her. She says I need to stop nagging, but it's costing me a fortune!"

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Although now I do want to see "Carry On Robocop."

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Okay this is objectively amazing but if things went further, then personally, I'd lose Vasquez. Great support and I love Vasquez for just being Vasquez, but if we had any sort of real-poo poo crossover it's Ripley X Connor all the way.

Sarah Connor's the only one that didn't get killed by the thing she was fighting.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Splicer posted:

Whoever suggested Deep Rising in this thread Mrs. Splicer and I thank you. It was amazing.

I think that was me, and you're welcome. Great film.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
They're not made by Funko as far as I can see, so no need to pretend. I bought Mike Harrigan and a Predator before Christmas, because Predator 2 is an underrated gem and how often do you see a Mike Harrigan figure?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Also, could we have the setup be something other than "someone wants to use the xenos as a bioweapon"?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

PhotoKirk posted:

A... New Detroit?

We're going to raise towers of glass and steel!

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It's probably a standard prank to convince the newbie that they need to drink a lot before their first cryo sleep.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
And flamethrowers are a terrible weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Jay_Zombie posted:

[
It's not just the eyebrows though. I kinda just hate that character, mostly because she lives and Dizzy doesn't. loving Fleet.
Fleet does the flying, MI does the dying. What ya gonna do about it? :shrug: