Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Wutang-Yutani posted:

Have you guys been taking about Aliens (the movie) for 121 pages?

Yawl... yawl seen nat myewvie? Hwhut's called Praydador?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Android Apocalypse posted:

I'm gonna guess you & other goons will soon have a lot of free time. I suggest the following movies to pass the time:
Alien
Aliens
Robocop
The Terminator
Terminator 2: Judgement Day
Starship Troopers
The Thing
Predator

Umm yea, if you've been following this thread, or have existed since the mid 80s or earlier everyone has seen these a dozen times.

As for less obivous ones, maybe I'm hanging my rear end out for a spanking but I *just* saw hardware? I mean... It's a cheap knockoff of alien and terminator and mad max, but it's been 25-30 years since I saw those movies as new art and so seeing a blatant ripoff now was almost like reminiscing about a thing I liked rather than see it desecrated? Plus Iggy and Lemmy and a stunningly attractive Final Girl? And it was fun to boo the name 'Weinstein' when it came up in huge letters in a theater with a bunch of other people, and the creepy perv did a better job of establishing what a nightmare it is to be a woman in a crowded city than a million #MeToo essays? Any other ones I haven't seen? Species, Galaxy of Terror, Lifeform, forbidden world that have been mentioned are MST3K level schlock.

Glad the Hardware director has finally gotten more work after freaking out and running into the jungle after getting fired from Island of Dr Moreau, Color out of Space was a good B-movie. Helps to be rolling while you see it.

and at the risk of quashing a bit that people are (maybe) pretending not to get?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVlQ8kIg7e4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9tvaa7hvz8

gotta empty out dem dreamcaychers. Momma ain't had a decent dream since your sister when whitewater rafting...

PipHelix fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Mar 14, 2020

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

And if I may if I might double reply to talk about the 'free time' we're all gonna have, I live in SoCal, I caught a two day sniffle, stayed home cause, what kinda rear end in a top hat toughs out a cold at work when everyone's panicking about what is essentially the Spanish Cold and I'm lucky enough to have a job where I don't have an rear end in a top hat boss who'd fire me for it and I have enough CAL time saved to cover it?

I basically sit at home, watch lovely movies (Dyrak, John Wicks 1&2, Predator 2 and Near Dark) and feel bummed. Hop on the train this morning, the usual ten freakos who bother with public transit in this blighted shithole, usual schmoes at work, and its only when I get off the train home and get on the highway (because in SoCal, even a public transit commute involves 15-20 minutes of highway driving) it was clear sailing, 60mph+ all the way in. Normally it's 25mph, stop and go.

Felt like the protagonist of Walking Dead or 28 Days Later (who ripped off who?) coming out of a hospital to find the whole world emptied. Anyway, after finding some friends and drinking at the bar, turns out they got the bug just south of us, half of their works were canceled and I guess schools out for Mar-harch. This is gonna be some weird poo poo where America finally figures out which Bullshit Jobs need actual doing.

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Vagabundo posted:

Motherfucker, did you just call the John Wicks and Near Dark “lovely?” Mate, I’ll kick your butt.

At Nintendo.

Hah. 'Trashy' work? I don't think they're meant to be binged. Or watched on a computer where you can pause everything. Like, I get everything is just heightened to a ridiculous degree and that's the whole point, eventually you've just gotta give into the reality of this world that runs on Super Mario Gold coins that are worth, at different times, a cab ride, a drink at a bar, an arsenal's worth of heavy weapons, and your entire life.

And the weird sultan in the desert who:

1. John Wick learns how to find by asking a girl to introduce him to a man who gratiutiously shoots the girls dog
2. Leading to a massacre of the like, #2 assassin in the universe and all his guys.
3. Which has no repercussions when he finds the #1 assassin in the universe who John Wick nearly kills himself to reach, cuts his finger off and sacrifices his *wedding ring* (he's murdered a bakers gross of people and got hit by 3 cars to retrieve a birthday card his wife gave him) in order to
4. Get back in and then immediately out of his good graces by flipping in a second when Ian MacShane says 'hey wanna sacrifice everything you've done in this movie, and all the sacrifices everyone you've had anything to do with has suffered and go up against an army while I sip campari in a bank vault and gently caress around with a remote control? And then I gutshoot you and toss you off a 10 story building the second I get a chance to work my angle?"

Like, it's a FINE movie. But like. Raid Redemption? Untouchable.

The Night Belongs to Us is a great movie, The Raid 2 is a great movie. Both of them involve the good guy getting filleted like a fatty tuna *multiple* times before the big fight and still kicking rear end. At a certain point it becomes comedic, you know?

I dunno why but Only God Forgives I kinda dug and no one else. They kinda build up Gosling as he's gonna be this wildass monster in the ring and it's like "nah he's just some richkid failson in way over his head, coasting on his family's money and reputation. First person with some grit who isn't scared of him turns him into paste".

Or Brick. By the end of the movie, Gordon Levitt is a brokerib, dry hacking mess. He can barely stand. Everyone over 30 has a sports injury or just stepped wrong and hosed their body up permanently. I dunno from experience but I feel like getting shot or slashed 3 times in 3 minutes with a machete should pretty much put you out of the movie. Or at least make it so you have to win without some wildass pencat silat moves.

But yes, Near Dark is poo poo. Paxton is fun; Lance Henriksen makes any movie more intense by just looking how he looks, but the plot is non existent. It's an hour of some hillbilly waffling on whether he wants to be a vampire and then just deciding, nah, I don't. It takes forever for nothing to happen. Leaving 'Shitkicker Heaven' aside, name three other memorable scenes. (I feel like when I watched Sandlot at 15 and told all my friends who'd loved it for half their life 'this movie kinda blows')

PipHelix fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Mar 14, 2020

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

And on further review I wrote 'lovely movies' followed by 'predator 2 and Near Dark' and then thought backwards and rememebred John Wicks and Dyrak (which is, like, by NO means a poo poo movie) and edited them in in reverse without editing 'lovely'. They were day one when I was on suda to dry me up and edibles to bring me down off the suda so I could nap and I was alternating between beers and the cold/sinus stuff I bought that had acetominophen cause my understanding is it takes an hour to metabolise a drink and I assumed If I've metabolized the beer I can have some acetominophen and vice versa, and I was just on a cocktail. (don't correct me if I'm wrong)

I mean, I watched two john wicks and had to think about whether I had, man. I got that bug. Cut me some slack

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Captain Rufus posted:

No love for Event Horizon?
Man that's a good flick.

Beet Wagon posted:

My problem with the John Wick movies is You start with a really cool concept that is cool in part because it's not completely explained to the audience, and then in the sequels they felt the need to expand on the world-building part until they hit a point where everybody in New York belongs to some kind of secret assassin clan and we all know all the rules.

Anyway sorry for my meltdown, Event Horizon kicks rear end, and so do most of the shark movies named there. Shark movies walk a real fine line though.

I literally texted my friend as I watched John Wick's final hour of grace in number 3 (which he's granted in broad daylight on a sunny day in 2, and it hasn't expired yet and it's dark and raining in 3) when LITERALLY everyone in New York is staring at him licking their chops at the chance to throw them selves into a woodchipper.

Like, why go to the trouble of the secret lair of suicide girls who take the call on a live-managed landline switchboard, write it out on a typewriter, roll it up, put it in a vacuum tube, then put it into an old tandy computer and... everyone just gets an SMS. Weird redundant anachronism of that scene aside, loving put it on CNN! Everyone in the world, including John Wick's loving FIREMAN is aware of the assassins.

While we're rattling off good flicks, at the time, leaving the theater, I described Green Room as 'the tensest movie I've seen since Alien'.

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Vagabundo posted:

Yeah, you'll need to balance it out with a strong alkali. Put the flesh, bone and offal in a large plastic tub and pour in loads of water to dilute it.

I would then marinate the meat in baking soda to neutralise and tenderise overnight.

Use the heavily washed bones as stock, and at some stage, add some roux.

Lutemorphsk

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

happyhippy posted:

I love the computer chatter. I wish I my PC would do this while I worked.

From way way back in the thread...

My new (used) laptop actually has this faint CLICK-click, CLICK-click noise every second or so that freaked me out but looking it up it seems the HDD has this, like, click in it but doesn't affect the lifespan or anything. It's kinda peaceful.

I'm convinced it's gonna destroy my hard drive in a year's time or less, but I suppose you get what you pay for. In my case it's a very Airplane! 2 technological experience for at least a couple months till I go trawling Craigslist for a compute. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqa2STJXvXE

Thinking on that now, gonna be some GOOD deals on ol' Mr. Craig's List in a few weeks/months. A golden age for the Repo/Pawn industry, one that will NEVER end. Might be a good time to upgrade if I don't lose my own job.

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

While I'm here, I've been talking with people about how little this pandemic resembles any cinematic Pandemic. Newspaper literally published a 'Five comforting soup recipes to help you get over the quarantine blues" article, like. I dunno. If you had a character in Contagion or Outbreak or like, Dawn of the Dead ratatatting in their reporter's bullpen 'Five fun crafts projects to take your mind off Captain Tripps', anyone reading the script would be like, we get it man, consumerism/capitalism is soulless and lame, maybe don't beat the audience over the goddamn head with it, Jesus, they aren't idiots or children.

Anyway, what I'm saying is all this talk about sociological freight of the movies and the difficulty of the sequels... we've seen the Ice Road Truckers in the Convoy 70s and the OohRaw Marines in the post Nam 80s and the superpredator prisoners in the Lockemup 90s and the Scooby Crew in the snarky 00s, and whatever the gently caress brainworm abomination Prometheus and Covenant were (only saw Prometheus, and only cause I heard it was unelievably bad).

Anyway, tell me how this isn't a movie. Aliens land on earth/ well populated terran planet. Not some barren rock 'colony'. Hubworld. Things are obviously hosed there's publicly available video of them ripping poo poo up, everyone knows this from like, day one, but, well. It's a big old world. There's only a couple of these weird things way off in Space-China. People just can't imagine it affecting them.

Following some character development, cut to a few months later the grocery store worker we now know and love commuting to work. It's some armored Codehunters type train with turrets/marines blasting stray xenomorphs but with wrecked/burnt out ones pushed over to the side off the rails. This clearly works only most of the time. The Burke character, the store's assistant manager chews her out for being late, reminds her how many people are out of work with this shelter in place order and puts her on one of the poo poo duties, either scanning people at the door for chestbursters or running down and killing the spawn from the assholes who slip in infected and go John Hurt in the Totinos Aisle. And spreading like borax or baking soda on the spill and putting a wet floor sign over the hole and going back to work.

Some Wikileaks thing releases the scene of Ripley yelling about how if ONE of these things, ONE, makes it to earth you can kiss it all goodbye, and you can wipe your rear end with these reports!

And it's news for like, 8 hours. Because the gently caress is anyone supposed to do with the information? Protest? Move off world? Anyone who could afford THAT already did it. Any ship that could travel interplanetary has been gone for weeks if not months by now.

And that's like, act 1. Is this too dark?

PipHelix fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Mar 26, 2020

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

On second thought I think I'm basically imagining the Apartment Raid Scene from Dawn of the Dead, stretched to Feature Length.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uiuVW3bhXw

Edit, instead of CodeHunters, I think the train should be protected from xenos by random yahoos like Dead Man. "LOOK. They're shoot ting the xenomorphs! Government says... killed a million of em! Last month alone!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtUB8XCrqPg

PipHelix fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Mar 26, 2020

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Pennywise the Frown posted:

They'd do exactly what they did when the coronavirus started to get serious here.... and Obama was elected.

Buy all of the guns and sell out all ammo everywhere.

Small arms would be slightly more effective against a hive of Xenomorphs than the Obungler do-nothing-dictator commie nazi regime. The Xenos can't drone you from 40,000 feet up and 5 miles away.

Wasn't there a front page article on that, now that I'm remembering it? From the Obama era, a future history of the second civil war which was basically just the Patriots fortify a Fort Worth ChiChis and get nuked from orbit. And then they went and did Malheur and we realized the government would absolutely let eleven 40 year old bootcamp washouts with 9 high school diplomas and 37 shotguns between them steamroll the cops and military.

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

edit, deleted, I'm reading my way through the thread from the start, around p80, referencing a discussion of how Predator 2 goes off a basic assumption that major US cities were warzones, and one scene specifically references Bernhard Goetz. I had a vague, 2nd hand connection to the guy. Jumped to post it, didn't realize how derailing it was.

Anyway, sorry, and to put things back on track, is there a more Bechdel Test passing line than "Get away from her you BITCH"? Somehow in the Stallone/Schwartzenegger/JCVD mid-80s they had an action movie where the hero, villain and macguffin are all female and it's one of the baddest rear end sequences of the decade?

PipHelix fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 27, 2020

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

purple death ray posted:

The hero (Ripley) is talking to the villain (the alien queen) to secure the macguffin (Newt). All three of the characters in the emotional finale are women and the line passes the Bechdel test because they're not talking about a man.

I meant more in it's not a Sundance exploration of angst type movie. In that it got a bunch of rat-tailed midwestern 1980s teen boys to yell "hell YEA, Holy poo poo!" at possibly the most female/maternal centered film/scene they'd probably been exposed to in their lives, without even realizing they pill they'd been tricked into swallowing. That's some feminist Judo right there (even if I recall something about Cameron being a poo poo to Kathryn Bigelow).

PipHelix fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 28, 2020

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Apologies if this has been covered, but any of you LoreFiends wanna explain how space travel in Alien/Aliens works?

Ripley leaves a daughter behind, and I think we're supposed to understand she was a little kid at the time, based on her reaction and Newt as a surrogate?

Hypersleep says they're probably not going a significant fraction of c, so traveling between planets is gonna take years anyway. If they ARE traveling close to the speed of light, you still have relativity to deal with so Ripley (stasis or no) spends a couple weeks/months on the ship on the out and back and her little daughter is still gonna be middle aged/old/dust by the time she gets back. FTL is 'the speed of plot' but then you don't need hypersleep.

Maybe the answer is 'scriptwriters didn't take Modern Physics and didn't consider it, the series is lousy with Conrad references, the analogy is the months/years a voyage would take in the Age of Sail'. Anyway, I'm just trying to get my head around what Ripley's expectations around ever seeing her daughter again were. She seems crushed to know she's dead when, best case scenario, no detours, no Alien(s), when she got on that ship she was basically saying to her young daughter, 'so long honey, be good, I'll try to be home before you're 30.'

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

The more I think about it, the more I think the easiest answer is 'this fictional universe is a universe where relativity doesn't apply'. I mean *I* sure don't see any gravitational lensing. Does anyone say the phrase GPS at any point?

It's all Gallilean/Newtonian physics. If a planet is 30 light years away, and you want to be back for your 10 year old daughter's 11th birthday, just travel at 60c, ya dingus!

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Wild T posted:

Why do you guys get crazy epic battle dreams, and mine are always "you're at work and the paperwork is hosed up, the boss is really mad."

But the boss is a xenomorph.

Y'all need ta empty 'em dreamcaychers. Y'all definitely seen that movie whats called Predator too many times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK6ADTwnQxg

Splicer posted:

I think about this post at least once a day. I want to watch this film or tv series or play this game pr read this book a lot.
I mean, it's basically life. The exponentially multiplying parasite feeding off our greed and division is too small to see, and every lovely Burke is loving over absolutely everyone else he has leverage over for a fraction of a fraction of the percentages that were ever at stake in the movies, but otherwise... Kinda my point is we're living through an actual Aliens movie, or at least 70% of one (for those counting that's 2-3 times the concentration of Aliens in either of Prometheus or Covenant). And we're so dead inside that we just adjust.

"I'm from New Jersey
I don't expect too much
If the world ended today
I would adjust"

I suppose you're lucky enough to not have been declared 'essential' and read about a new case at a new building in your complex, that they definitely disinfected thoroughly and quarantined everyone the sick person could recall having talked to in the last 2 weeks, every 2 days or so. My company's generous offer is to allow workers, including those forced home in the sweeps, to accrue negative balances (recently upped to 10 full days off) of PTO, to be paid off at the usual rate when you resume working - so basically anyone who stays home to protect thenselves/family, the company is basically docking you next year's worth of vacation (and sick days! It's the same pool of time at my company). And honestly, that's so much better than what some people are getting that I expect a "must be nice, fauntleroy!" or two.
But yea, staring at the one other person in my empty traincar in the morning and then the wall in my mostly empty office for 5 of my 8 working hours because 3 hours of work is about all my boss can come up with for us since his boss lost his fight with HIS boss and we all got ordered back to work as we were literally mothballing the facility three weeks ago... I suppose you come up with some interesting premises.

Also thanks a lot? Liked the posts of yours I've read as I read through this thread. I'm new-ish to the site but have been familiar with the forums' reputation since the thousands (plus as I read through this thread and others, every page has someone who's been permabanned) and between that post, and this other heat of the moment teardown I pulled in another thread on some smug STEMLord making GBS threads on teachers during this shutdown, both times I figured "welp, that's it, newbie. Way to just go off on one and post a full page wall of text as your, like, 11th post. So much for that tenner." People (one person) seemed to like that other post as well, so at least I'm not a complete waste.

PipHelix fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Apr 7, 2020

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Are you a crazy person? Like, I'm assuming you're not in a hospital, but maybe you aren't taking medication or haven't thought about seeing a doctor. Maybe you should.

Possibly? If splicer was being sarcastic my bad for not picking up on it.

e: also lol that a hospital would have room for someone who posted too long/off topic right now.

PipHelix fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Apr 7, 2020

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Xenomrph posted:

I generally don’t condone infanticide but I think you might need to get better kids. :colbert:

Too many people deal in absolutes. I like a never say never guy.

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Gargamel Gibson posted:

I'll admit it, $ 42 000 000 is a lot of money to a broke gently caress like me.
I was gonna say accounting for inflation 42,000,000 in 2122 is the equivalent of like, a '04 Tercel with 200k on the odometer now. Minimum wage in 1950 was like 55k/yr now. But then:

Keltar posted:

Destruction of the Nostromo cost a vast..........42 million dollars in adjusted dollars.
Adjusted from what? Or is that verbatim from the movie dialog?

Jay_Zombie posted:

*Looks around at all the poo poo happening*

Ummm.... I think that's about to happen.

I'm reminded of the quote about the gold rush. The way to stay afloat is gonna be selling people wheelbarrows to dramatically pose for photos with their stacks of Weimar Dollars.

Shaocaholica posted:

I guess this game isn't dead after all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9eg7Pzk15g

'Scorn' huh. Dunno how I'm supposed to feel about that.

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Android Apocalypse posted:

Eh I saw Aliens before Alien and didn't feel like I was missing out. If anything, I was more scared watching Alien even though I knew how nasty the xenomorphs were.

I had seen Aliens dozens of times and loved it by the time I saw Alien at a cousin's house, probably 10 or so? I remember literally crawling under a table between two couches because of how poo poo scared I was but didn't want anyone to notice. I was a very weird and small kid who constantly sought out crawlspaces and such to hide in, so there's maybe a 10% chance people thought it was me being me and not just a little kid getting the gently caress scared out of him by a movie that does absolutely not require virgin eyes to have the intended effect.

PhotoKirk posted:

IIRC, they were surgically removed from the victims.

I think given what we know about the biology, the victims were surgically removed from them. Short of sawing the head up into quarters and spatchcocking the neck and torso I don't see how you get an intact live facehugger off a host and there obviously no way you get a live host out from under a face hugger.

Red Rox posted:

Holy poo poo my local cinema (in NZ) is showing Predator, Heat, Fight Club and Alien. Apparently Disney is doing some good deals with cinemas to help them out.

Thinking About Going To See Alien (the movie).

Eyy, lookit Johnny Bigballs overhere, bragging about getting to see 'cinema' just because his government and populace reacted in an appropriate and timely manner to a crisis that absolutely did not ever have to become a disaster! Those who would sacrifice not wearing a mask for the privilege of seeing a movie deserve neither!

PipHelix fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jul 7, 2020

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Torquemada posted:

I’ll just chime in and say I’m the guy that doesn’t hate T3. I know it’s trash, but I love the ending.

As a guy who learned a lot of E&M in college/university... lets just say it's very good that the existence of time travel means that our laws of physics don't apply. Running around in a live particle accelerator is not something a person who is needed, alive, in 20 years time should be doing.

And as a guy who literally does this kind of work for his career, a human entering a particle accelerator and that particle accelerator being operational is probably more of an impossibility than time travel. In terms of the engineering work that goes into them they're mostly machines designed for not killing people who work in/near them that do science as a side effect.

Apropos of nothing here's two very fun songs that are all of a sudden stuck in my head.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eetkdzmf9rM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1KIm9ZznP8

E: not to jump too many tangents in one post but we were just discussing the Insidious Algorithm in the Boomer Complaint Thread, and after posting in an Alien thread I go listen to the epoxies and get this suggestion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4ldpyIE5t4

e: Ok and ten minutes in and someone needs to option this for the next Alien movie. All I want is a high concept Cloverfield style Alien sequel where it's far future, the xeno threat has been tamed and it's some chubby dude with a pushbroom mustache keeping them as a hobby talking into a camcorder about how "this is just borderline ridiculous" "I don't wanna do this but anyone who comes upon this hive could get hurt" and "I had other things I wanted to do today but I'm just gonna go after this queen and be done with it". "Smells like a banana factory in here." Complains about all the protective gear he needs as he just armors up into one of those power armor things the comics invented for fighting Aliens.

Then of course just rips poo poo through a hive of Aliens all while retaining his flat, put upon affect. And murders the Queen, while talking to the wrong, dead camera.

PipHelix fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jul 7, 2020

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

i mean, getting a live host out would be significantly easier, i'd think?

An "intact" facehugger. Which, I can't find the video this early in the morning but I'm pretty sure they were in that scene. Also, in Aliens, the face hugger makes pretty clear its gonna kill the host with the tail if anyone fucks with it.

Much simpler to assume that whatever level Burke rose to his station from? There's another sociopath on LV426 (...was, I guess) willing to do whatever hosed up thing he can on orders for his percentage and climb the chain.

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

#1: Facehuggers die after implanting the embryo. If you get a facehugger off a person and they're alive? That hugger dead, son. You can pull the embryo but Burke said get a live one. Maybe that was their first attempt. Try again.
#2: Facehuggers kill the host if removal is attempted. If damaged huggers spurt molecular acid all over the dang place. So now you got a hosed up hugger and a colonist with no face. Burke probably gave explicit instructions for healthy specimens. Also, Alien Resurrection proved what a bad idea it is to try to contain a xeno with an open wound. gently caress, try again.
#3: Kill the colonist - Given that the hugger is pumping air into the lungs, it's basically an ICU. The colonist breathes cause the hugger is making him breathe. You'll need to destroy the heart or lungs. All the hugger needs is a stomach for the embryo and oxygenated blood to keep it alive. Ok, goddammit, I, a WY mid-level manager am getting sick to death of these goddamn huggers.

This is the ALIEN universe guys. The only constant is WY murdering its workers to capture a facehugger/xeno. They 100% baited a hugger onto some poor mook then, maybe they didn't literally need to pulverize the head and filet the torso to remove the hugger and ovipositor to get it clear of the colonist. Just stab the heart, shutting down oxygenation, hugger probably lets go and tries to find someone else. But I've got to imagine they have more weird bodymod tricks to keep even a hosed up host alive.

#4: Or, possibly, the old Box with a Stick and a String. Maybe a kids toy for movement and a CO2 canister with a slow leak for bait.

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Possibly thread related content:

Recently ran a Call of Cthulhu module I homebrewed to be as stupid as possible because the guy who suggested this as Quarentainment is really, really bad at the improv angle of tabletop roleplaying and if you thought HP Lovecraft was overwrought and boring at times, holy gently caress try having a guy read a module written by someone aping his style as if it's holy writ.

I smashed up Metropolis (Our investigators are in 1920s Berlin) and Terminator (Murderous Robot Doubles are in Metropolis) and had them square off against Weimar Germany's newest technological marvel, HimmelNetz. It was a DISASTER. In a fun way.

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Jay_Zombie posted:

#5: Take off, nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

#6 You know, I... I expected more from you. I thought you'd be smarter than this.

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

I meant if you try to pull them gently they crush the neck, and if you try to cut them they spurt acid and also crush the neck.

I don't really know how you'd get a blade between the tail and the neck, which seems necessary for a quick tail chop that also doesn't go into the neck, without crushing the spine and I don't see how you do it otherwise without ending up with blood all over the place if you're trying to saw in from above but also go slow enough you don't slit their throat. Even if you lop it off, you still have a tail stump wrapped twice or so around the neck hosing acid that must be removed quickly.

Any rate, the huggers we see in the vats, that come at Ripley and Newt, were fully intact. Tails, legs, everything. They weren't cut off a human, though it's possible they were captured straight out of the egg or something.

But I feel like we're missing the point. The shortest distance between two points in the Alien Extended Universe is a baroque conspiracy that cuts straight through the lives of dozens or hundreds of clueless innocents. There's nothing in the movie to suggest Burke had an inside man, but I posit that claiming measures were taken to protect the human lives of WY workers while securing a xeno for a WY Suit is arguing against Occam's razor in this case.

As for the space Fugu, I've said given the amount of base you'd need to pickle them in to keep a bite of xenomorph from falling straight through you like a cartoon ghost eating dinner, the nearest analog would be Lutefisk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwyuwpXUjQQ&t=240s

PipHelix fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jul 8, 2020

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

BiggerBoat posted:

That sounds pretty baller. How'd the gently caress that up?

Welp, I tried to give everyone a thing to do, which is a real concern in CoC because it has a ton of absolutely useless skills and professions. One member chose 'photojournalist' and had done basically nothing across probably 30 hours of longsuffering playtime for instance. One player was a racecar driver and put essentially 40% of the skill points his character was given into 'drive auto'.

The old DM, who had basically been just telling anyone who tried something not explicitly anticipated in the written module a flat 'no, you can't do that', had been playing a priest, who'd gone seriously nuts, murdered a friend while possessed by an extra dimensional evil and lost his faith. So I decide to give him multimedia 'visions'. I tell him prior to the module starting he's been getting strange phonecalls in the middle of the night with a link to a youtube recording of old school dial up modem sounds. The plan is to go LawnMower Man (I told you I was going for stupid with this), present the computer as a replacement for God and try to peel him off and turn him. And then in the first scene I direct message him a the MOLOCH! scene from Metropolis, which I'm very proud of myself for synching to Dan Friel's industrial-electronica-noise track 'Singing Sands'. (He's also been a monster pain about playing the lovely public domain background jazz music tracks that come with the app we're playing on. For 'atmosphere')

So would it surprise you AT ALL to learn that, when a guy who's been DMing for probably 50 hours at this point and holding his players to a super rigid sphere of possibility, sees a fellow DM trying something new, weird and crafted specifically for his guy, decides to use the foreshadowing I've given him to hijack a scene and up and shove a crossbow under the chin of the first non-violent NPC questgiver he's introduced to and demands answers with the threat of murder. This is done in public, at the equivalent of a TedTalk demonstration of the computer. I sigh and go along with it.

In the next session they discover that the Johann Kuhners they've been trying to save is in charge of Operation Consul, the pre-Nazi group that was whacking Weimar officials to take power. This is a threat to Skynet cause its a DARPA (WeimARPA?) project, and Nazis, while tech inclined, are too easily distracted by occult magic poo poo. I casually mention this guy was a scarred vet of the Great War, and this DM, who's a vet himself, excuses himself goes to the bathroom and rustles around, prompts me to agree a wounded vet would have morphine for the pain, then immediately jabs him in the throat with a syringe. The resulting melee was pretty cool, the photojournalist rolled under her dogshit drive auto and flattened two Nazis at once and managed to shoot the Nazi John Connors' bodyguard Johannes Klaus Von Damm (he played a 1920's fightguy who befriends a German in maybe his worst movie so that poo poo's canon) in the head with a pistol she's literally never hit anything with in weeks of playing. My buddy's bartender character who was trapped in the back seat with this monster of kungfu getting the living poo poo beaten out of him landed the lucky punch that knocked him out. Pretty awesome except the party was split and trying to top-of-the-dome a massive fight with a bunch of hostile NPC's I'd included in the scene specifically so they would NOT try this poo poo meant we went, and I am not joking, a three and a half hour session without either of the two separated characters doing anything whatsoever. DM's character also would have had no reason to start all this poo poo, but I chose to save time and brief the driver and brawler, who'd been hired as bodyguards by the President that they were to capture the Nazi alive, in his earshot. I'm going to repeat this, he broke character and started a 3-on-4 fight, which included Jean-loving-Claude Van Damme on the other team, without the team's main two fighters, just to. They all only survived because the 400-lb photojournalist with no fight skills rolled John Wick in two consecutive combat rounds.

Nevertheless, I showed the other players a good time.
I gave the group 'alignment' Commie/Centrist/Nazi by tracking their responses to scenes and characters, with the alignment affecting whether they lost or gained SAN from for instance seeing food rioters shot by cops or murdering an innocent to get an in with/not be killed by the Nazis. Everyone's pretty lefty but I thought maybe someone would side with the Nazis or the lovely let--them-eat-cake centrists in the government, either just to stretch their legs or because the person promising them freedom and plenty is literally loving SkyNet. Nope. During a trolley problem scene where it was let the runaway trolley crush some track workers or smash a stalled limousine full of a rich woman and her young children the photojounalist charged the lever and yelled she'd shoot anyone who tried to keep it from killing the kids.
I gave the racecar driver a getaway scene but underestimated how crazy good he was at this dump skill. He basically passed every roll no problem so the tension wasn't what I'd hoped but at least he got to drive a loving car for once, and describing the Blues Brothers-ian mayhem as Nazi Assassins kept spinning out into fruitstands on the sidewalk and stuff kept folks invested.
The photojournalist was unbeknownst to her tipping the scales of power with the photos she took in the scenes. Since she sold the picture of the police shooting protestors to left wing outlets, for instance, the thoroughly robot-infiltrated socialists were getting the people on their side. The nazi papers would have done much the same. If she'd sold to the centrists it would be panicked hangwringing and calls for a emergency powers and a law and order crackdown on the rabble. And so on for each scene.
The bartender character also hadn't previously been given much to do. A lucky roll meant the False Maria hypnotized him in the Yoshiwara scene (she was working down the phone book terminating John Connorses by mesmerizing them and Flappering them to death) and he played the character after as the most desperate, simpy, replyguy possible. When the final showdown happened, he sided with the robots on a dime without even being made to roll a POW roll to resist, which turned the calculus such that the rest of the group chose to murder the soldiers protecting the president of the Republic and force him into the Robotomizer. For his troubles I decided that the bartender was given the option to become transhuman and get downloaded into a robot body. A Robotomy involves massive probes getting jammed in through both eye sockets and your brain being electrified/scrambled which, again, he agreed to instantly cause that's the role he was playing. If it seems like that goes without saying in a roleplaying game, God I wish it would.

The DM had a lowgrade freakout when he realized one of the PC's is now canonically a pain-proof, super strong coal-and-steam powered cyborg (but he takes double SAN damage from magic poo poo cause "Beep Boop does not compute!") but had the good sense to rein it in and not steal another player's character development out from under him.

It's also canon, as we continue to play further 20's Berlin modules, that the leadership of the Nazis, the (German) Communists, and the Weimar government are all replicant puppets of the self-aware babbage engine. Rulemonster DM also did not like this but was overruled in a unanimous mutiny. In any case they'll keep up the appearance of conflict to distract the populace while it builds power so technically anything that happens in other modules still happens, its just part of the dumbshow.

Next time they let me anywhere near the wheel I'm doing Delta Green, which is a modern day version, setting it during Nam, and basically making it Platoon+Predator, but instead of a yautja, They're being hunted by a self aware Blob, with a figleaf of Mythos connection as an excuse: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantoms_(novel)

PipHelix fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jul 8, 2020

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

What was also wierd is I came up with this in like, May, just texting the bartender guy the dumbest idea for a module I could think of. It elaborated into this idea that society is crumbling all around them, people are hungry, people are angry, self-appointed cops are killing people in the streets (read about the FreiKorps) which is the perfect time for a manipulative computer to infiltrate robots to cause panic and violence and destabilize everything. We opened the module on week 1 of the George Floyd protests and I had to swear up and down I didn't do a Dick Wolf 'ripped from the headlines' plot.

This may also have contributed to my PC's uniformly choosing 'Helter Skelter' as a political affiliation.

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Anyway enough about me. Back to the xenos!

https://twitter.com/AlbzSFC/status/1279553544543186947

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Wild T posted:

To me the real question isn't how they got into the storage tubes. It's how Burke got them out. I can imagine he pops the lid off like an oversized Pringles can and *bam* facemasked.

Automation?

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

SilvergunSuperman posted:

They remind me of that medical boot you have to wear if you gently caress your foot up.

Floodixor posted:

I actually just graduated out of it. I found that when I wore it in public and was clomping around, people treated me as if I was a late-stage cancer patient and were super nice
In Man On Wire, he talks about scouting the WTC construction site and halfway through he broke his leg doing something else. From that point on people couldn't be more helpful. "Poor dear, here let me hold open this secure door in this skyscraper construction site, you poor damaged rando." Obv, 1970s which is not the paranoid Hell we live in. They only had a 100x murder rate to deal with, and as a consequence $300/mo rent on 2000sqft lofts on like, Houston and Elizabeth. Trade places in a second.

Sunswipe posted:

There was a ZX Spectrum game of Alien where who you played as, who was infected with the Alien and who was the android was randomised each time you played. Put that into a The Thing game along with decent trust mechanics and a variety of win states (successfully kill all Things with all remaining humans tested as human, destroy the whole base, kill everything so you know that the only thing alive is human, etc) and you could have an amazing game. Of course, I'm not games developer, but I've come up with the idea so if anyone wants to use my precious ideas, I'd happily settle for 10% of gross sales.

Splicer posted:

I'd play it as a board game

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/226634/thing-infection-outpost-31

PipHelix fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 3, 2020

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Any chance Dallas was just thirsty, and Argentinian?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

The Last Call posted:

There is also one where:

Facehuggers are cooked by aliens(not those ones) like hamburgers for other creatures to eat

Its a bug full of acid. Which is to say a little avocado and some picante and you got an aguachile, brother.

Can't believe it never occurred to me before now, all you Alien Heads know about the clipping. album where a slave ship revolt/alien containment biocontamination is mashed up into a good rear end concept album?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpXiEb2KVoY

No one ever asked the Xenomorphs how they feel about getting hosed around by W-Y all these years.

PipHelix fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jan 25, 2023