Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Fish of hemp posted:

Rich people. Money buys you everything.

Especially guillotines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Splicer posted:

Referring to them as the xenomorphs is exactly as right or wrong as calling st bernards the terran mammals.

St. Bernards have booze though

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Xenomrph posted:

The 90s were a magical time, when companies like Kenner were making children’s toys based on hard-R action movies.

I used to have most of them, but I forgot to pack them in one of my moves, which sucks because they were just cooler than poo poo

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I really don't understand the whole "must update the special effects" mantra. I'm cool with the Terminator looking like it was from a Harryhausen film, it was a 1984 science fiction film, that sequence really should look like that.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Leon Einstein posted:

I love the sfx in T1 way more than any CGI.

:same:

I really don't understand how people can't enjoy older special effects. I met someone IRL that likes the new Robocop better than the OG because the special effects were better, and went on to say that he felt sorry for the original Star Wars movies because of the special effects :psyduck:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Alien Isolation rules except for Ripley's voice actor, the only thing she gets right is all the death sounds

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I wish there were more monsters in Anhillation

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Glenn Quebec posted:

The alien looked like a loving puddle of gasoline with legs. The most interesting part of the movie was Natalie Portman riding some black guy for 30 seconds then saying it was a mistake

Someone forgot about the bear

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ChickenHeart posted:

This just makes me want a slice-life-film about blue-collar workers trying to make ends meet in a future where the planet you're living on is Company property and your right to live might be trampled on if it puts someone's expenses in the black. No monsters, just adult fears like pay cuts and bankruptcy with the added horror of being on the wrong end of "progress."

I keep repeating myself but honesty the best chance for the franchise to prosper as anything but schlocky horror is to stop trying to recreate Alien/Aliens and have filmmakers use the universe to tell interesting stories.

After all, the worst parts of the new Ridley Scott films were all the moments where it needed to remind the viewer that they're watching an Alien movie.

I think what really does make certain sequels work well is when it's a genre shift. Alien is a straight up horror movie, and Aliens is a (Vietnam) war movie. The next Alien should be a romcom

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'm glad I never got around to Prometheus and Covenant

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'm personally fond of the steady-cams in combat

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Xenomrph posted:

To be fair they’re meant to make the gun aim itself, and the Colonial Marine Tech Manual even demonstrates how to fire it prone, or over cover.

That and it gets a pass via the Rule of Cool, because they look rad as hell. :rock:

Yeah, the smartguns own. It's not as iconic as the pulse rifles, but they were my favorite in all the FPS games

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Beet Wagon posted:

This makes sense except for the fact that in Aliens it is mentioned that Gateway Station was built during the 57 years Ripley was in cryo. So canonically it's basically brand new and it looks like total poo poo, with CRT monitors and everything. Yeah, you could say "Well maybe the tech is too expensive to outfit a whole station" or "Maybe they didn't want Gateway to be top of the line" or whatever, but the gulf between the two levels of technology is insane to the point that it really makes you wonder where the stuff that's supposed to be in the middle is.

It just doesn't line up and to a certain extent that's okay and you end up breaking the universe more by trying to explain it. Although the idea of some kind of tech-apocalypse between Prometheus and Alien is an interesting idea to play with.

On top of that there's really no indication at how old the Nostromo is to begin with. When you're working industrially, if things are still functional you keep them going until it's too expensive to keep it up. The Nostromo could already be 50 years old by the events of Alien.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Terminator 2 should have been called Terminators

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

regarding kids-seeing-Aliens chat: am I the only person who honestly thinks this movie's fine for older kids (I'd say like 7+)?

like, there's barely any gore (I think Ferro's blood hitting the dropship window, that burn on Hicks' face and Bishop getting ganked are literally it), there's no sexual content whatsoever, and realistically speaking, any kid I have would hear just as much swearing from their own parents if not more. :v: it's an intense movie but that has roughly equal odds of scaring the poo poo out of a kid, or making them absolutely love it.

I saw it when I was ~8 and I turned out fine. A couple years later when I got a VHS copy of it it did make my brother have nightmares at that age though, so YMMV.

There is a chest burster scene you forgot about.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

frogge posted:

I liked the aliens arcade shooter game. Kinda funny that the aliens 3 SNES/Sega game had you shooting aliens when the movie didn't have any guns until the very end. They must have made it before the movie came out or something.

I loved the arcade game, but it seemed like it was incredibly rare, so whenever I ran across it I would play the poo poo out of it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Xenophobe owned. I played the poo poo out of the Nintendo version, and loved the rare occasion I could play it at the arcade.

I wonder if there's a port for the Switch yet.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Xenomrph posted:

The closest that line got to the “original” Alien was the Warrior Alien from the AvP two-pack. The Scorpion Alien was as close as we got to the ones from ‘Aliens’ (and the toy loving exploded, which was :krad: ).

Yeah, the 2 pack was later repackaged individually with the Warrior Alien being a sky blue color for reasons.

Oh how I wish I hadn't forgotten to pack those when I moved.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

It's an orally secreted resin iirc

When your head is a dick, that's called cum

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Nice.

edit: I regret googling "sexy xenomorph." Sort of.

Give me about 5 minutes, then I'll regret it

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Owlbear Camus posted:

It addresses the Real Science Concern over how the creature gained so much mass so quickly, but I think it was a good cut if for no other reason then the fact it would have brought to mind in the audience the rather comical picture of the eldrich killing machine creature knocking back copious amounts ramen noodles and fruit loops.

Now I want Alien: The College Years

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

skasion posted:

Predator 2 is Verhoeven level satire. Great movie

I don't think it was meant to be satire, in the late 80's and early 90's people really did think that cities would be war zones by the year 2000

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5ZlHHP0BXA

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

purple death ray posted:

If Alien had been the only movie released we might not be suffering through prometheus and covenant now but we'd have at least one remake of the original by now

I agree, I do think that so much of Alien now hinges on the existence of Aliens as it is now.

It would be a much different world if Alien 2 was an inferior sequel. Had a sequel been rushed out a year or two after the first one, it could have easily been a slasher series.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Fish of hemp posted:

Everybody always forgets the best game which is 2001 Monolith's Alien versus Predator 2.

That's a funny way to spell the Aliens Arcade game

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I really want them to release a UHD of Aliens :argh:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

SilvergunSuperman posted:

:hfive:

Do people actually hate the DC? I thought some just felt it hurt the pacing or didn't like Newt's parents that much.

I love every extra second, especially the exasperated beauracracy.

Eh, the added Hadley's Hope/Newt scenes kill pacing. They're neat, but unnecessary to the story. On the other hand sentry guns

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

purple death ray posted:

I think foreshadowing Newt hiding in air ducts is pretty goofy and unnecessary but "kills" pacing? Really? The movie has barely gotten started at that point and everything else about the DC is an improvement.

I don't know man, I think the theatrical cut is perfect from beginning until the marines arrive. It keeps the story with Ripley and the whole mystery of what happened to the colony. You really don't need the foreshadowing because you got that by watching Alien.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
The colony scenes are neat, and I like them, but I do not like them in the movie :colbert:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I guess I agree. Better than the new ones I guess. But it's more sort of nostalgia. I remember an old program in TV in the 90s on the Discovery Channel ,before they stopped being a learning channel, called Movie Magic. They showed a ton of stuff behind the scenes and I remember a bunch of guys in the alien costumes standing around and how they did the CGI of them underwater. It was cool

Movie Magic owned. I remember the episode about Day of the Dead, it was pretty cool seeing how they made that scene, you know the one.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Drunken Baker posted:

I honestly don't know which one you mean. Every gag in Day of the Dead is that one. They're all so, so good.

I've also never seen Movie Magic. Was that a TV show in America? Tried looking it up on Youtube to no avail.

The scene where Rhodes gets eaten alive by zombies.

Yeah, Movie Magic was American, it was on the Discovery Channel.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
When do we get a Commando Vs. Alien movie?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Wild T posted:

Predator?

No, that's Commando Vs. Predator

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I dreamed last night that there was an alien embryo candy. It was white chocolate with a raspberry filling.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Also WY wanted them for their Bioweapons division?

I always equated that like breeding a bunch of tigers to use as a weapon.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

purple death ray posted:

I always got the impression they were just really nasty intergalactic bedbugs travelers from various planets would inadvertently bring home with them. They don't seem to have any culture, they don't develop technology, they have no communication with any other sentient being. They are basically bugs like Hudson says. I think any weapons application they had wasn't based on taming aliens to fight for you but probably more about the stuff you could develop by studying their various acids and resins and whatever else, or clearing out the population of a desirable planet via an even worse version of handing out smallpox blankets to the natives.

I am actively ignoring prometheus and covenant because they are bad and dumb additions to the universe, nothing has ever been improved by explaining exactly how the scary monster works and where it came from

The events of Alien a single alien decimates a crew of space truckers, Ripley barely escaped.

In Aliens a proper hive develops out of a colony, killing all most all of them in the process, and then proceeds to kill a detachment of marines.

Literally WY was looking to be able to drop a few eggs on undesirables and letting the space bugs do the work, no research is needed other than their ability to contain and/or breed them.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

:cursed:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Always thinking about Aliens

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Terminator$

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

mllaneza posted:

I'm also completely willing to accept that the orbital photo reconnaissance survey of the colony site missed it; and there would necessarily have been some orbital photo coverage of the site before construction started. Either it was too far away for hi-res coverage, or the Derelict site was mapped, but the expert system processing the imagery didn't "see" an artifact there. It's probably plainly visible if you know what an Engineer ship looks like, but until we got a good look at an Engineer ship, nobody had any idea that technological artifacts could look like that. So naturally the photo processing software wouldn't be trained to flag fit.

This is a good point in 2019. Remember that the future of 1986 probably didn't predict that you could use a computer to do these things.

In 1986, it would have been someone pouring over a pile of images on a light table, and from above just looked like an interesting rock formation, so not something of high importance to investigate immediately.